CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
b381l
Order 66
garnet_black215
DTGCOCKS#32
Pw00132
Ahmad
wumarshall82
JerseyBird
Thoughts on Shawn El (1642)
10-2 (1617)
UK promoting a black (1457)
Time for a new coach (954)
Four UK Players Susp (948)
Coach Gaines: " (863)
I Was Dealing With T (646)
Connor Shaw's fault. (619)
Build a New Stadium (531)
Since everyone loves (478)
Funny?
400 pasing yards
Coach Gaines: "Not m
UK promoting a blackout f
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Connor Mitch
I Was Dealing With The Lo
QB Recruiting Strategy
Any prospects w/whom our
Four UK Players Suspended

Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material
Default It's the offenses not the defenses that are causing problems

for the college game. The fastest players are always on offense. That is a fact. That leaves the defenses at a disadvantage coming in. The DB have to play off the receiver so they won't get passed on the fly and the QB dumps a quick pass with a fast receiver against a smaller slower DB. The hurry up just further wears down a slower bunch of defensive players. There will never be a faster player on defense so the advantage will always be with the offense. We had a slower offense that was able to keep the ball but that is not the offense we are running with Dylan because he can't run the read like Shaw could. It's going to be a long season if we line up with this defense against the hurry up with no ball control offense to counteract it. Ward is not the problem....the speed of the game is. That is just my opinion.....
Old 09-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Eutaw Kid
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Eutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: It's the offenses not the defenses that are causing problems

Did I miss something or has the game changed since last season when we won 11 games and played some fast, spread offenses? Personnel certainly does make a difference and we lost some damn good defensive players! But I do agree ball control is big must for us. It makes you wonder if the game would have been different if we had scored first.
Eutaw Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:01 AM   #3
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eutaw Kid View Post
Did I miss something or has the game changed since last season when we won 11 games and played some fast, spread offenses? Personnel certainly does make a difference and we lost some damn good defensive players! But I do agree ball control is big must for us. It makes you wonder if the game would have been different if we had scored first.
Negative captain! We rarely score 1st from what I remember but I don't have the numbers in front of me so don't quote. We usually let anyone and everyone march right down and score so the fact we were only down 10-0, 7-0 Respectively we should NOT have abandoned all hope of running our gameplan up atms rear. But for some reason we did.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
Negative captain! We rarely score 1st from what I remember but I don't have the numbers in front of me so don't quote. We usually let anyone and everyone march right down and score so the fact we were only down 10-0, 7-0 Respectively we should NOT have abandoned all hope of running our gameplan up atms rear. But for some reason we did.
My thoughts exactly. We started forcing the passing game way too early. I thought we abandoned the running game early on and really made ourselves one-dimensional. It was sad to see one of our biggest offensive assets put to the wayside.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I agree. The game has changed. It's a play in space, up tempo style and you have to have outstanding athletes at DB and quick LBs to keep up and DEPTH.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
for the college game. The fastest players are always on offense. That is a fact. That leaves the defenses at a disadvantage coming in. The DB have to play off the receiver so they won't get passed on the fly and the QB dumps a quick pass with a fast receiver against a smaller slower DB. The hurry up just further wears down a slower bunch of defensive players. There will never be a faster player on defense so the advantage will always be with the offense. We had a slower offense that was able to keep the ball but that is not the offense we are running with Dylan because he can't run the read like Shaw could. It's going to be a long season if we line up with this defense against the hurry up with no ball control offense to counteract it. Ward is not the problem....the speed of the game is. That is just my opinion.....
There are lots of advantages for the offense. They know the play they are running, which includes the receivers' routes. They know the snap count. They get 4 tries and only have to make 10 yards. A TD now puts the ball on the 25 yard line, so they only have to make 40-45 yards of field position to score points. If the ball is in the air, and a defender touches the receiver, the flag comes out and it's automatic first down. Now, they can't sack the QB below the knees. They can't hit above the shoulders.

It is basically basketball on grass, and it's a wonder, really, that defenses ever get a stop, except for mistakes on offense.

I guess that's what made that 12-9 score so special with LSU and Alabama a few years ago.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #7
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Ward has underwhelmed you have to admit that and the talent he had in previous years covered up for his deficiencies. If he rights the ship this week and we don't fall apart then he will gain my respect as a coach. Because it is clear to see if we play well the next couple weeks that he went in and fixed things since the season started because we were at rock bottom last Thursday.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
No Curse
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Uhhhh......... I think it had more to do with poor fundamentals than what A&M was running on offense. They gashed us for long runs anytime they wanted because we could not tackle or just simply used poor technique
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
pastorsheehan
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
pastorsheehan is learning to peckpastorsheehan is learning to peck

How about some of you football gurus tell us which coach...top to bottom had our team prepared for the biggest opening night at Williams Brice Stadium in many, many, many years?? Kudos to the grounds crew.
pastorsheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

It's still football. Defend, pressure, and tackle. None of that changed regardless of the type of offense the D was facing. We just happened to do little of that vs a vastly more talented set of skill players than we have faced in practice. I think this gave the coaches and D players a false sense of security. Once they saw reality, they were in total shock and awe.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
burr
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spurs

The point coach makes when asked about the no huddle offenses and if he is against them (for defenses sake, I reckon) is if that hurry up offense is on the sideline, then it fixes the problem. Ask clempsen.

The evil genius controls the hurry up offenses by grinding out 8 minute drives and burning clock while his 'D' is watching and getting water on the sideline.

Why Carolina went straight against this philosophy is the biggest problem with the few losses Carolina has suffered in the last few seasons, it seems to me.

Of course, it helps if Carolina can hold with a three and out series to start things.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote