CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
yazoo
Acockolypse Now
spareparts
IslandCock
BlueHerons
GA_Ag
COCKYTALKIN
GoldenSpur7
Captain9Dragons
The bane of our seas (1602)
OBC banner being add (1511)
Ward wants us to pla (1207)
WR Depth Chart/Rotat (1023)
Who scores the first (971)
Davis Playing in A&a (849)
Tanner McEvoy Starti (592)
Come and get your Jo (539)
CFB Playoff Bracket (507)
All garnet for Thurs (486)
***2014 Carolina Panthers
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
I have not bought into ou
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
First action of the new s
Howdy! - Tailgating quest
Connor Shaw Browns
Balkman vs. USA
My own Clemson vs Carolin

Old 09-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
buzzcock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
buzzcock has earned his spursbuzzcock has earned his spursbuzzcock has earned his spursbuzzcock has earned his spursbuzzcock has earned his spursbuzzcock has earned his spurs
Send a message via AIM to buzzcock
Default T. Moffatt Burriss - 82nd Airborne Jumper - Nimejgan, Holland

Below is a link to my ex father in law jumping on the 65th anniversary of his battalion's jump into Holland to capture bridges from the Germans during Operation Market Garden. He is 89 now, turning 90 in 4 days. This is his story. My sons are there with him as he jumps during the reenactment.

http://www.thestate.com/thebuzz/story/949041.html

Old 09-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

CockyCash: 200
stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: T. Moffatt Burriss - 82nd Airborne Jumper - Nimejgan, Holland

awesome. for gods sake sit down with him and a video camera. just get him to tell stories, not just of the war, but life back then. they will be the most treasured memories and safe on film.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
NewberryCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1234866
NewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffolcock View Post
awesome. for gods sake sit down with him and a video camera. just get him to tell stories, not just of the war, but life back then. they will be the most treasured memories and safe on film.
Absolutely great suggestion Stiff.My brothers and I did this with my dad(95 yrs old) about 10 years ago.He is still sharp as a tack mentally today, but struggles to write now.He wrote his memoirs from the day he entered service in 1938 until his discharge in 1947.We had his original writings copied and also typed with more copies made to pass to his sons, grandchildren and great grandchildren.My brother, so patient he is,filmed almost 10 hours in 30 min. segments of life then and during the war. How he met our mother(Army nurse) and their romance prior to the war,his service in Tibet,Nepal, and China and coming home were all included.It is fascinating for anyone, even more so, him being our father.These WW2 veterans are getting fewer every day, please don't let these living encyclopedias go by the wayside.They hold too much precious information on the inside.Capture it for all time!

NewberryCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

CockyCash: 200
stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewberryCock View Post
Absolutely great suggestion Stiff.My brothers and I did this with my dad(95 yrs old) about 10 years ago.He is still sharp as a tack mentally today, but struggles to write now.He wrote his memoirs from the day he entered service in 1938 until his discharge in 1947.We had his original writings copied and also typed with more copies made to pass to his sons, grandchildren and great grandchildren.My brother, so patient he is,filmed almost 10 hours in 30 min. segments of life then and during the war. How he met our mother(Army nurse) and their romance prior to the war,his service in Tibet,Nepal, and China and coming home were all included.It is fascinating for anyone, even more so, him being our father.These WW2 veterans are getting fewer every day, please don't let these living encyclopedias go by the wayside.They hold too much precious information on the inside.Capture it for all time!
my brother filmed some stories of my grandpa before he passed. i got him telling the story of striking out the Babe when he played pro ball.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
MACXIMVS
mac'in aint easy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Avatar 
CockyCash: 12700
MACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot material

That my friend is a real hero
Thanks to him and I would love to let my son meet him
We remember WWII more than any other history here in my house

Great story

MACXIMVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

Newberry Cock - that story sounds like it could be made into a movie. I bet there are many more fascinating stories like that among our CT's family members about WWII. My grandfather was a WWII vet, but died of a stroke in 1964. My dad did keep all of his correspondence to my grandmother and he talked alot about what was going on, so at least we have that. He was called to active duty from 1941 at the age of 40 until 1946.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote