CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
Gamecocks1137
robgusc76
B-G
SMOTFS86
Big Spur
The Yancey
kingofnerf
YouCanNeverTell
rabid cock
**USC vs. Coker GAME (3528)
2014 Subway Classic: (1723)
aTm demolishes Kyle (877)
Cocky at the Duck Co (796)
Connor to be backup? (563)
Deer Hunting 2014 (440)
movers, furniture do (354)
Streaming nfl games (282)
10 people who played (185)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (129)
QB Next Season?
Miami Beach Bowl Thread
Connor to be backup?
aTm demolishes Kyle Field
Cleveland Browns Headshot
Greatest Gamecock Players
Greatest Gamecock Players
The Vent and Coaching cha
So, why is next year goin
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre

Old 09-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material
Default Walt Deptula

Just said that he considered us a darkhorse national title contender. Compared us to Alabama. He has been gushing about us the whole show, also been giving UGA and UT hell.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: Walt Deptula

Let's just go beat Furman and not get all into what Walt Deptula Thinks
about us. . . . Three years ago, he was saying Spurrier was washed up
and wasn't our best choice as a coach here to begin with. We're not even
close to being contenders for the NC right now. . . . . .

If we're 6-0 after we play Kentucky, then we should start getting
twinkles in the eyes, but I'd be real careful even then. . . . . .If we
knock off Alabama and are 6-0 after the UK game, then we MIGHT
have a legitimate shot at the SEC East, and we can go from there.
As our coach once said, without a playoff, all the right things have to
come together for us to be playing for the NC, and it's not even a
given if you're undefeated after the season is over.

Please guys, don't start buying into the accolades ESPN, or others are
heaping on us right now. .They have their Cinderellas every year, and
we might be one of them. After knocking off UGA and with Lattimore's
efforts, they see a nice story building that they might be able to ride for
a while. To them, we're a headline if we continue to win. . .I don't want
to be a Headline, I want this to be the start of a PROGRAM if it's for real.

If we lose a big game, they'll move on to the next big story, but let's just
take care of Furman, and hope we can continue to give them headlines.
Don't start counting on us being in the NC game right now. We've got a
lot of holes to plug between now and the time they play the NC game.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Appreciate the OP letting us know about Deptula, but I agree with Spurt. Let's lay off the Kool-aide for a while. Couple years back we were #6, and finished the season unranked.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
TrueGarnet
Under NCAA Investigation

Male

CockyCash: 9975200
TrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPitTrueGarnet rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
Appreciate the OP letting us know about Deptula, but I agree with Spurt. Let's lay off the Kool-aide for a while. Couple years back we were #6, and finished the season unranked.
I agree.

At the same time I have erased that tailspin of a season from my memory and would greatly appreciate you never bringing it up again. . . .Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2178
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBrooks View Post
Just said that he considered us a darkhorse national title contender. Compared us to Alabama. He has been gushing about us the whole show, also been giving UGA and UT hell.
He is just saying that to rile up his primary audience, i.e., taters. Like all shock jocks, he is trying to stir up controversy. It's good for his ratings. Better just to tune him out and listen to WNCW. Their tunes are great.
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
CockySailor
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 6060000
CockySailor has earned his spursCockySailor has earned his spursCockySailor has earned his spursCockySailor has earned his spursCockySailor has earned his spursCockySailor has earned his spurs

I'm not sure we are a darkhorse NC contender but we should be able to make a bcs game this year. There is no reason for us not to IMO but it is a week to week sport and as long as we focus on the coming week and not worry about the future until it upon us we should be fine.... As I type this I realize I say we, but I really mean the team and since I'm using my phone to post, I really don't want to delete it and start over....

GO COCKS!!!
CockySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
MBGCockOld
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 81420865
MBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot material

Seriously koolaid has to much sugar. Not good for you.
MBGCockOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Ph/JDCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 700
Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly

I am as excited as anyone about the progress the team has made thus far, but every time I feel like I might get ahead of myself, I think of the following:

1) The last time we played Furman, they beat us. Their RPI is currently higher than Vandy's.

2) We haven't beaten Auburn since we've been in the SEC, and the last time we played them on the plains, they beat us 48-7 if I recall correctly. They're good this year, and the home-field advantage will be significant.

3) We've beaten UK 10 straight times. They have a good team this year (third in RPI behind UF and Bama left on our schedule and incidentally ahead of Arkansas). They're due and we have to travel to Lexington for this year's game.

4) Vandy beat us two straight years in 2007 and 2008, and they easily could've beaten us last year to make it three straight.

5) The last time we beat UGA, we finished 6-6 after everyone got jacked up about the possibility of contending to win the SEC East.

6) We've beaten Florida once since we've been in the conference, and the losses (especially in the Swamp) are usually lopsided. They have roughly 9 weeks to figure out their offensive problems before we face them.

7) Arkansas beat us soundly last year, and they're supposedly improved on both sides of the ball.

8) We haven't beaten Clemson twice in a row since 1969-70.

I could cite more, but there's no need. It's true that there are a boatload of demons we can exorcise as a football program, and the exorcism could very well begin this year. If we beat Furman, then I will think about Auburn, and so on each week. It's fun to speculate, but Spurt's right... there are a lot of holes to plug, and a lot that could go wrong if our team doesn't keep its head on straight.

This shouldn't be in any way construed as a "how dare you be excited" thread... it's just my own personal statement that each week, my Gamecocks are going to have to prove to me that they're worthy of the attention. There's a chance that they might be worthy, but we'll see after we play Furman.
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Cwrooster
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cwrooster is crowing loudlyCwrooster is crowing loudlyCwrooster is crowing loudlyCwrooster is crowing loudlyCwrooster is crowing loudlyCwrooster is crowing loudlyCwrooster is crowing loudlyCwrooster is crowing loudlyCwrooster is crowing loudlyCwrooster is crowing loudlyCwrooster is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post

Let's just go beat Furman and not get all into what Walt Deptula Thinks
about us. . . . Three years ago, he was saying Spurrier was washed up
and wasn't our best choice as a coach here to begin with. We're not even
close to being contenders for the NC right now. . . . . .

If we're 6-0 after we play Kentucky, then we should start getting
twinkles in the eyes, but I'd be real careful even then. . . . . .If we
knock off Alabama and are 6-0 after the UK game, then we MIGHT
have a legitimate shot at the SEC East, and we can go from there.
As our coach once said, without a playoff, all the right things have to
come together for us to be playing for the NC, and it's not even a
given if you're undefeated after the season is over.

Please guys, don't start buying into the accolades ESPN, or others are
heaping on us right now. .They have their Cinderellas every year, and
we might be one of them. After knocking off UGA and with Lattimore's
efforts, they see a nice story building that they might be able to ride for
a while. To them, we're a headline if we continue to win. . .I don't want
to be a Headline, I want this to be the start of a PROGRAM if it's for real.

If we lose a big game, they'll move on to the next big story, but let's just
take care of Furman, and hope we can continue to give them headlines.
Don't start counting on us being in the NC game right now. We've got a
lot of holes to plug between now and the time they play the NC game.
Is that like:
Don't Underestimate Furman?
Cwrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
c-girl
51 and proud of it!

Female

CockyCash: 79300000
c-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot material

If you listened to the player interviews after the UGA game, they all said that it's ONE game at a time. They are not looking ahead any more than that. We should do the same.

Furman is next.

What I make with my hands I give with my heart

RIP #11, Forever To Thee
c-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
BIGRlilw
Recruit

Male

BIGRlilw has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
He is just saying that to rile up his primary audience, i.e., taters. Like all shock jocks, he is trying to stir up controversy. It's good for his ratings. Better just to tune him out and listen to WNCW. Their tunes are great.
I listen to Walt everyday, I dont think it is a ratings booster at all. He calls it like he sees it. Most people have wondered if Spurrier was in his right mind with the way Carolina has been playing in the past.

I agree not to get ate up we've started out like gang busters before and ended up with a bunch of L's at the end of the season.
BIGRlilw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Sharky
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 800
Sharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talons

The coaches will make sure the players take one game at a time. As fans, we need to EXPECT to win every game. No more "what if we tank the second half" blah blah blah. This is a totally DIFFERENT team and they believe so I do too. I think it's fine to talk things up on our boards, but I wouldn't advise it on the rival boards yet. ;) Enjoy the ride everyone and quit stressing. This is going to be a special year! Dream big and have fun with it!
Sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
WeAreSCAR
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 3303540
WeAreSCAR is USC mascot materialWeAreSCAR is USC mascot materialWeAreSCAR is USC mascot materialWeAreSCAR is USC mascot materialWeAreSCAR is USC mascot materialWeAreSCAR is USC mascot materialWeAreSCAR is USC mascot materialWeAreSCAR is USC mascot materialWeAreSCAR is USC mascot materialWeAreSCAR is USC mascot materialWeAreSCAR is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to WeAreSCAR Send a message via Yahoo to WeAreSCAR

He said we are a dark horse. Which isnt much of a stretch, considering we think we can win the SEC East. The winner of the SEC EAST, i would consider a DARK horse for a NC. I did laugh when i heard him say that. He usually isnt high on USC, but picked Carolina to beat UGA. He is usually pretty spot on but i think he was trying to rile up the taters.
WeAreSCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
GamecockMastermind
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 270
GamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot material

In all seriousness tho.. see how one week can make a difference? I have been waitin for this week for 21 years.. i will bask in it.. thats for damn sure
GamecockMastermind is offline   Reply With Quote