CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
SMOTFS86
Cockypantherfan
U-Dub Gamecock
b381l
smoovecock
CoverTwo
kabercr2
B-G
Spurrier on Pharoah: (3719)
USC/clemson spread (1563)
In case no one saw.. (1316)
injury report? (922)
Odell Becham Catch (617)
A little late to the (605)
Bowl projections (555)
Why has there been 4 (480)
Tiger Burn (463)
2010 Clemson-Carolin (320)
Charlotte Hornet Basketba
Bowl projections
USC/clemson spread
Texans getting frustrated
2014-15 Premier League se
The Defense
what if?
SC Women #1 in AP Poll
Texas A&M Defense
Question about after the

Old 09-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Acock's Wrap Up: ECU

As last week, I haven't read a thing on this board yet, just got back from the game and wanted to give my wrap up without seeing what others are saying. First let me start off by saying that the weather was great, but boy was it OH MY GOD DYLAN THOMPSON FOR HEISMAN hot, I forgot my sunscreen and got pretty sunburned.

Anyway... pretty good game today...right? I can pretty much guess how the board is going right now... is there a QB controversy? Should we start Dylan? We're going to win the national title!!... You know... stuff like that.

Well, I remember something that Lou said one time, "it's never as good, or as bad, as you thought." Last week we obviously weren't as bad as we thought, and my guess is that ECU made us look a bit better than we are. Still, how could you not come out of this game DYLAN OUT OF NOWHERE, BEST QB IN THE COUNTRY, HE SHOULD START FROM HERE OUT without just grinning from ear to ear?

OFFENSE
QB:
A-

Hello Dylan Thompson, nice to meet you. No, he wasn't going up against an SEC defense, but he shredded the ECU defense for 330 yards. Think on that for a moment, Dylan Thompson passed for 330 yards. OK, so why the A-? Well, there's always room for improvement. He stared down his primary too many times, lacked velocity on a lot of throws that get picked against a team like LSU, and failed to throw the ball away like he should (the coaches do mention this to them, right?). But it's nice to know we have a backup QB that can come in... and win.

RB: B
It was really nice to see us establish a RB rotation. All the backs did reasonably well when running the ball, so much so that it seemed that there was no drop off regardless of who was on the field. Where they excelled was in the blocking game. The guys picked up blitzes, chipped ends, and helped out blocking down field. I gave them a B for the few dropped passes they had, and the lack of a really big play.

WR/TE: A
What a difference a week makes. Although we still had one too many drops, these guys came out this week and played with passion. After some early nerves, Shaq heated up and started bringing in some catches. Also, nice to see Smith make one of his Spring Game catches in the regular season. Buster Anderson owned ECU... just owned them.

OL: C+
I might catch some heat for this, as Dylan was very rarely pressured, but as bad as the pass blocking was last week, the run blocking was about as bad this week. We faced a D-line that was without it's top two DT, and we still couldn't establish an interior running game. Yes, we were throwing the ball like Mike Leach on amphetamines, but we failed to open up large running lanes. Yes, we did go away from the zone read a good bit, but still... come on guys, blow somebody off the ball.

DEFENSE
DL:
A

I heard a lot of people on the call-in shows that were disappointed with the lack of QB pressure from this unit. Those people know nothing about football. This unit kept containment, clogged the lanes, got their hands up, and denied the run. In short, they did exactly what they were supposed to do. I remember that the QB thought he could run a draw right at Jerideau. He could not.

LB/Spur: A
LB play is quickly looking like a strength this year. These guys did equally well in pass coverage and run support today. Over and over ECU tried to hit the TE seam, and over and over again our LB's shut it down.

Well done.

CB/S: A-
Jimmy Legree is proving me wrong. The minus is for their tackling technique. For some reason the "Culliver-high-shoulder-push" seems to be the method of tackling taught to our CBs. Please, please, please stop this.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Overall:
A

KICKOFF COVERAGE WAS AWESOME. Why does every school have a better punter than us?

COACHING
Overall:
A

You tell me Spurrier didn't have fun today. Passing all over the field, trick plays, throwing late in the game when up big... oh yeah, Head Ball Coach had fun. Once he got comfortable with Dylan, he really opened up the playbook. Hello mid-range pass, I've missed you, glad to see you again. Also, was that both the I AND the offset-I I saw out there today? Holy crap, I'm in love with our play calling all over again. It's almost like someone else called the plays last week and Spurrier called them this week.... NAH... that's crazy talk.

Ward continues to impress me. Yes, we gave up over 330 yards passing today, but they were mostly YTDM (Yards That Don't Matter). Plus, the defense force 5 turnovers. ECU had no answer for our team speed.

INTANGIBLES
Overall:
A

Confidence, you can never have too much of it. It's a great thing for your team to know that the backup QB can come in and win a game. No, ECU isn't a world-beater, but they're a solid team, definitely better than say... a Ball State, and we ran them out of the State. While the team may have questioned their ability last week a bit, they got a good bit of their mojo back this week. Based on what I'm seeing right now we'll need that against Mizzou, so it's good to know that our team is focusing on execution, it showed today.

FINAL THOUGHTS

This should dispel a lot of the bad feelings people had after last weeks game in Nashville. Still, we need to keep in mind that all we've done so far is gut out a road win against the 5th place team in the East and light up a decent Conference USA team. For where we are right now, I'll take it. If we can get better play out of our OL, and consistent performances from our WR, we've got a legit shot at the East. From there? Well, anything's possible.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material
Default Re: Acock's Wrap Up: ECU

best part? Wtf are teams going to prepare for by watching tape?
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Coaching and play-calling disagree. Needed more outside running.
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
scnative1
Heisman Candidate

Female

CockyCash: 32535700
scnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Wtf are teams going to prepare for by watching tape?
a loss
scnative1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material
Wink Re: Acock's Wrap Up: ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
That is the best part. Diversity is a big strength.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

CockyCash: 500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

first, when is your sig scheduled to be completed, because the green strip at the bottom is annoying?
great write up! wish i could've seen it, but i live on an island. i have a few things i disagree with. first, can't give special teams an A with the horrible punting. second, can't give the coaches an A simply because i don't think they mixed the plays up very well. it seemed like we would run, run, run, or pass, pass, pass. i'm glad we were successful passing the ball, but to me it was a little cold-hearted to leave latti hanging like that. he has carried this team at times, and should have gotten a few more chances, with some good running plays called. so i would have given the st's a c+, and the coaching a b-.
finally, it is my opinion that elliot sold out this week, and worked almost exclusively on pass protection, after seeing how bad it was last week. that might be why the run blocking was so good last week, but not nearly as good this week. so, hopefully they will work hard on both pass and run blocking this week, and will look like a complete ol next week and beyond.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

I've been kind to special teams two weeks in a row.

I was so excited about kickoff coverage that I HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE DYLAN COMPLETE THAT PASS? totally glossed over our punting issues.

I mentioned our punting game is bad.

It is.

I thought the coaching was great. I get what you're saying about Marcus, he just needed one more TD to break the all time record tonight... FEED HIM, but it's obvious the staff want to keep his legs fresh for the SEC run we have coming up. It was nice to see Miles get so many reps tonight and Davis juked a guy out of his jock in the 4th.

Honestly, I think once it was obvious that DYLAN JUST PLACED THAT PASS OVER THE LINEBACKER PERFECTLY, HE IS THE QB WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR we were going to beat them that Spurrier just said, "why the hell not?" and just started airing it out.

Dude had fun tonight.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

So we were throwing the ball like a megachurchgoing, inappropriate-metaphor-using, self-aggrandizing meth tweaker who writes his memoirs at age 32.

Fantastic.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

OL should be at least a B+:
When you zone block, you don't necessarily blow someone off the ball. Flooding the zones with extra bodies or blitzes is one way to stop the zone plays. The QB keeper on the zone-read killed them last year but we stayed away from that yesterday.
And while ECU was committing extra guys to stopping the run they payed for it using single coverage. They probably could have kept the game closer if they'd have let Marcus run and eat clock.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Acock is Mr. Subliminal?? I never knew DYLAN THROWS TO BYRD ON A GO ROUTE AND ITS CAUGHT! his alter ego was on Cockytalk...

PS: Do you take notes or is all that from memory? lol...
Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #12
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

All from memory. I'm not as good as Spurt or C2 at breaking things down, but I do try to watch the game objectively. Always some good, always some bad...

As for the O-line, they played a MUCH better game than last week, but when we were in the I, we weren't zone blocking, we were just trying to open holes.

...and failing.

UGA & LSU's d-lines await us, so I look forward to Elliott getting these guys in synch.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #13
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2940
4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockfandrew View Post
a loss
I like your style sir
4Ever2Thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #14
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2940
4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit

The only real disagreement I have is special teams, our coverage is solid but, as you mentioned our punting is horrible, that in itself would bring my rating down to a C- tops for a team of our caliber. Punting may get overlooked but it is so crucial, especially in the SEC, a conference that sets the bar for strong defenses, punting is the most integral part of the field position game and we should put more of a focus on it. For us to get to the 'ship we have to improve. Jmo
4Ever2Thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

ON POINT.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #16
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
As for the O-line, they played a MUCH better game than last week, but when we were in the I, we weren't zone blocking, we were just trying to open holes.
But we seldom ran out out the I...we did lots of play action. Most of Marcus' runs were in the single back/gun and I'm not sure they still don't zone block from the I. If you watched some of the Skins game yesterday, you saw some of similar plays as Shanahan has run those zone plays for years and now they run the zone read with RGIII. They didn't spread the gaps as much as we do and the Saints crowded the line a lot more than most college teams do...mostly because they have the speed to react. But they were determined to stop the run and make the Skins beat them passing, which they did. First time I saw an NFL offense look a lot like ours.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

lots of teams zone block from the I. Wisconsin is a perfect example.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
first, when is your sig scheduled to be completed, because the green strip at the bottom is annoying?
great write up! wish i could've seen it, but i live on an island. i have a few things i disagree with. first, can't give special teams an A with the horrible punting. second, can't give the coaches an A simply because i don't think they mixed the plays up very well. it seemed like we would run, run, run, or pass, pass, pass. i'm glad we were successful passing the ball, but to me it was a little cold-hearted to leave latti hanging like that. he has carried this team at times, and should have gotten a few more chances, with some good running plays called. so i would have given the st's a c+, and the coaching a b-.
finally, it is my opinion that elliot sold out this week, and worked almost exclusively on pass protection, after seeing how bad it was last week. that might be why the run blocking was so good last week, but not nearly as good this week. so, hopefully they will work hard on both pass and run blocking this week, and will look like a complete ol next week and beyond.
Try firstrowsports.eu. My cable froze, and then i was blacked out from espn3.com(i'm in charlotte, wtf!) so thats where i went, had a good live feed of our game and many others.So now im gonna use it for out of market nfl games.

to the op, i agree with everything except 1 thing. I understand why you would say they need to run more to the outside and play to our strength's.
But i think Coach was using this to let Latti know that he can do it. On a few plays i saw Latti get up and reach for his knee not in pain but it looked like it was on his mind. He'd get up and kinda reach for it and stop. I'm sure by mizzou we will see a a lot more outside running. If Wilds isnt redshirted and he is back he will add to the outside running game.
TroubleCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleCock View Post
Try firstrowsports.eu. My cable froze, and then i was blacked out from espn3.com(i'm in charlotte, wtf!) so thats where i went, had a good live feed of our game and many others.So now im gonna use it for out of market nfl games.
i have been using firstrowsports for a long time, but had a headscratching problem with it. i would click on american football to get the full schedule up, but then when i clicked on the usc/ecu game, it would just load the original page with espn on the top. i went back and tried to click on it more than twenty times, but every time, instead of loading the game, it would just load the original page again, and again. it was very disappointing, because i actually found the game on justin tv, but halfway through the second quarter, it disappeared, and gave me a message that the feed was shut down by the copyright something or another. so i was just shit out of luck, and had to settle for gamecast on espn. i'm up for any suggestions for future games...