CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
bcolinc
Cockypantherfan
WeStillOwnUSC
Kyle76
18IsTheMan
GSC2013
Spurticus
Roosterboy
ccured
HeadCockFan
The Demise of the 3- (1873)
Pirate Depth Chart (1151)
East Carolina Predic (994)
who thinks we need a (960)
Why didn't Wes Green (899)
Did we ever go after (491)
You guys are horribl (393)
It's the offenses no (289)
Finally Cooled Off (275)
MLS almost ready for (202)
2014-15 Premier League se
The Demise of the 3-4
Carolina opens -15.5
Past SEC Champions who ha
Gamecock football Long Te
Mike Davis "doubtful
Tanner McEvoy should've s
Watching the Georgia game
Labor Day Weekend Eats
The best and cheapest aut

Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Bowl Projections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 View Post
Sugar, Cotton, or CFA please
This. PLEASE.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #22
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Beat Clemson and I see no way we end up in the Gator Bowl. If MSU finishes 9-3 I would think they go to Jacksonville, which would be a kick in the teeth for any 9-3 team, but I guess that's how it's going to play out this year.
It's actually very possible we could go 10-2 and end up in the Gator. Here's why

Assume the following teams finish with these records

Alabama 13-0
Florida 11-1
Georgia 11-2
LSU 10-2
South Caroina 10-2
Texas A&M 9-3
Miss State 9-3

-Bama & Florida go to the BCS, I think that's obvious

-The Capital One selects Georgia b/c we were there last year

-LSU is chosen by the Outback who passes on us for poor travel against Iowa in 2008.

-Texas A&M is chosen by the Cotton to face an old Big XII rival

This leaves us with the Chick Fil A Bowl. Clemson will be 10-2 and an obvious pick to play in Atlanta for the ACC. The Chick Fil A has stated before that they are not interested in a USC-CU rematch. So the Chick Fil A chooses MSU

-This leaves South Carolina in the Gator.
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

nm I answered my own question.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMonticelloCock View Post
It's actually very possible we could go 10-2 and end up in the Gator. Here's why

Alabama 13-0
Florida 11-1
Georgia 11-2
LSU 10-2
South Caroina 10-2
Texas A&M 9-3
Miss State 9-3

-LSU is chosen by the Outback who passes on us for poor travel against Iowa in 2008.

This leaves us with the Chick Fil A Bowl. Clemson will be 10-2 and an obvious pick to play in Atlanta for the ACC. The Chick Fil A has stated before that they are not interested in a USC-CU rematch. So the Chick Fil A chooses MSU

This is me making a sad face.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #25
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
This is me making a sad face.

Well, let's be honest. What is really the difference in the Outback & Gator? We play a Big 10 team no matter what. Is there really a difference in playing 9-3 Wisconsin or 8-4 Michigan in a Bowl(just an example).

The Gator is a much easier drive for Gamecock fans, would cost far less money for the trip, and is still on New Year's Day.

It's really the same bowl. End the year 11-2 and we have a real shot at the top 5
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #26
Cocky Garnet
Walk On

Male

Cocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his claws

LMC,
Very good breakdown. Well done.
Cocky Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #27
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky Garnet View Post
LMC,
Very good breakdown. Well done.
The crazy thing is that losing to Clemson might actually help us in the bowl pecking order.

CLemson would likely end up in the BCS with an 11-1 record. This would mean that the Chick Fil A would have to choose between South Carolina & Miss State for their slot. They would pick us as we would travel much better to Atlanta than MSU.

Our opponent would probably be a 5 loss Miami team or maybe a 5 loss NC State team. I'd actually rather end up in the Gator. At least Big 10 teams travel and have some good traditions.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #28
Gamecock46
Walk On

Gamecock46 has hatched from the shell

Probably have 3 teams in BCS with Alabama in championship. What then ?
Gamecock46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #29
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock46 View Post
Probably have 3 teams in BCS with Alabama in championship. What then ?
Can't happen.
Only 2 per conference.
Unless Georgia wins the SEC and Alabama and Florida are 1-2 in the BCS (won't happen)

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
Cocky Garnet
Walk On

Male

Cocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his claws

Quote:
The crazy thing is that losing to Clemson might actually help us in the bowl pecking order.

CLemson would likely end up in the BCS with an 11-1 record. This would mean that the Chick Fil A would have to choose between South Carolina & Miss State for their slot. They would pick us as we would travel much better to Atlanta than MSU.

Our opponent would probably be a 5 loss Miami team or maybe a 5 loss NC State team. I'd actually rather end up in the Gator. At least Big 10 teams travel and have some good traditions.
Gator Bowl is sounding better and better, then! Haha. I think most on here are like-minded in that we need to do our job against a still-dangerous and dismissed Arkansas, get by Wofford healthy, control Clemson's offense and exploit their defense. The quality of the bowl game and to a lesser extent its result is just gravy to keep us smiling through the winter and fuel the spring.

I'm hoping for a good, loud crowd Saturday and a bit of a momentum turn out of the doldrums. UT wasn't too boisterous or populated even before #21 got hurt, and that was a sell-out -- still tickets to be bought for Arky. I'm hopeful.
Cocky Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #31
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Gator Bowl is sounding better and better, then! Haha. I think most on here are like-minded in that we need to do our job against a still-dangerous and dismissed Arkansas, get by Wofford healthy, control Clemson's offense and exploit their defense. The quality of the bowl game and to a lesser extent its result is just gravy to keep us smiling through the winter and fuel the spring.

I'm hoping for a good, loud crowd Saturday and a bit of a momentum turn out of the doldrums. UT wasn't too boisterous or populated even before #21 got hurt, and that was a sell-out -- still tickets to be bought for Arky. I'm hopeful.

Like everyone else I'd prefer the Sugar Bowl, but after that my feelings aren't going to be hurt if we are 10-2 and end up in the Gator.

I'd really like The Cotton Bowl too, but I realize that the Cotton isn't going to take a team nearly 1,100 miles from Dallas. They will take LSU or A&M
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #32
thebigspur33
4-Star

Male

thebigspur33 is learning to peck

that seems a little low for me considering we are number 10 in the country. i feel like at worst we should get to the outback or capital one
thebigspur33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #33
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigspur33 View Post
that seems a little low for me considering we are number 10 in the country. i feel like at worst we should get to the outback or capital one
Well, the problem is that 5 other SEC teams are also in the top 10.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #34
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Well...I suppose we need to learn how to win in Jacksonville at some point.

We are 0-4 in the Gator Bowl (1946, 1980, 1984, 1987). It'd be nice to win there.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #35
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Alabama 13-0
Florida 11-1
Georgia 11-2
LSU 10-2
South Caroina 10-2
Texas A&M 9-3
Miss State 9-3

I think you hit the nail on the head... Tell ya, what is kinda messed up is if ( I dont think its gonna happen) if we were to lose to Clemson, and then they got an at-large BCS bid... We would not fall below the CFA Bowl, since they would definately take us over Mississippi State...

So, go figure... we can end up 10-2, and go to a lower-tiered bowl (Gator), or go 9-3, and actually get a better bowl game(CFA)

BTW: Id prefer the Gator Bowl over the CFA... just because we have not been there for 25 years...
Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #36
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Here's the rub, if 'Bama stumbles to UGA and an SEC team doesn't make the title game, we're all f****d.

Although at that point 'Bama and UGA would both probably make BCS games.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #37
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

It would also be a big home field advantage. As a former resident, there are lots of USC grads in Jax and they flat out love the ball coach there. Plenty of great places to enjoy downtown. It's a party place.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #38
Ph/JDCock
Recruit

Male

Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly

If we win out and assuming the likely favorites win their games the rest of the way, LSU, Florida, UGA and USC would all have two losses. In this scenario, I would think that the Sugar Bowl would pick between USC and LSU, as Florida and UGA are coming off of losses. UGA could throw a monkey wrench into this theory if they play Alabama close, though.

On one hand, it might be hard for the Sugar Bowl to turn down an LSU team that's essentially playing a home game. On the other, if tourism revenue plays a big factor in the decision, I would think that USC would be a bigger draw because of the large number of fans that would flock to the Big Easy for the school's first BCS game. I think the bowl could allocate as many tickets as it wanted and we would sell them.

If we don't get that bid, it really does look like the Gator might be the most likely destination. I don't think we'd get the Cap1 two years in a row when there are other 10- and 11-win teams in the conference, don't think the Outback wants us because of the last very poor showing. Cotton will pick A&M over anyone else for the reasons others have stated, and CFA will likely have Clemson if we do win out.

It would be a shame if we ended up 6th in the BCS, which is a real possibility, and didn't make it to a BCS game.
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #39
Spurrier Fan
Blue Chip

Male

Spurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his comb

If South Carolina finishes out 10-2 and ends up in the Gator Bowl it would be unprecidented. A 10 win regular season SEC team has never been relagated to the Gator Bowl before. (That's where Florida ended up after their 6-6 season last year)

Not that it would be that bad. I'm still holding out hope for the Sugar Bowl if things fall into place. If not a return trip to the Capital One Bowl would be the next best choice. After that the Gator Bowl is as good as the Out Back or Chick-Fil-A to me.
Spurrier Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #40
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3462
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

If they had done the right thing and yanked the acc/big least BCS AQ we could play in the orange bowl. My brother lives in Jax on Amelia Island and I can tell you that there is a big difference in the temperature between Jax and Tampa/Orlando at that time of year.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote