CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
StormOfTalons
Master Bedroom
Acockolypse Now
Rooster'srule
sanford
Order 66
El Cid Ranger
b381l
cocksmith1or11
Backup QB competitio (2820)
2014 Preseason USA T (1306)
Anyone heard anythin (998)
Ranking the SEC Fema (849)
Future Non-Conferenc (699)
Spurrier on the cove (465)
What Would You Do? (424)
Ranking the SEC scho (340)
Kewl video (313)
Tupelo Honey Cafe (278)
Anyone heard anything abo
Elcid99
Tupelo Honey Cafe
Cheap jersey and very nic
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Future Non-Conference Sch
2015 - Albert Huggins
Re-Airing South Carolina
An Aggies View of the Mat
What ever happened to Phi

Old 11-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
StackzOnThe'Boose
Conductor

Male

CockyCash: 500
StackzOnThe'Boose is learning to peckStackzOnThe'Boose is learning to peck
Send a message via Skype™ to StackzOnThe'Boose
Post Tight Ends

The tight end position is probably my most favorite to watch. I know we've recruited well at the tight end position over the years under Spurrier. But here is one of my discussion questions: If we have the pass catching talent at tight end, (records from these young men's high schools say that they can indeed catch) shouldn't we be using them a little every game for this function? I'm not sure, but it seems that Steve holds out on these types of play calls for just 'every now and then' situations. I'm a couch coach, but I feel he should throw in one or two plays like this a game to give the other team something to think about. You can do so many things with the TE once you've established him as a catching threat, ie - drawing at least one defender away from the ball and leaving a side of the field vulnerable for let's say: Shaw or Miles to run free for major yards? And if you're lucky and two are focussing on the TE, then maybe they'll leave a receiver streaking down the sideline unguarded? My vision. What are everyone else's thoughts?
StackzOnThe'Boose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: Tight Ends

Until Shaw decides he wants to go through progressions every single play instead of tucking and running at the first sign of pocket collapse it won't happen. We do need to get the TEs more involved over the next 3 games and really be ready for the bowl game. We just need Shaw to stay in the pocket just 1 or 2 more seconds and then it should happen.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I'd be shocked if we didn't see a lot of the empty 2 TE sets the rest of the way. Used it quite a bit with some success against UT. That might be our best formation going forward.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Until Shaw decides he wants to go through progressions every single play instead of tucking and running at the first sign of pocket collapse it won't happen. We do need to get the TEs more involved over the next 3 games and really be ready for the bowl game. We just need Shaw to stay in the pocket just 1 or 2 more seconds and then it should happen.
did you not watch the ut game? the guy went through his progressions just fine.

you should have said, "until he does it more than a week"..you make it sound like he hasnt done it yet.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

I agree looks like the formation that should be used going forward but it was against tenn who allowed 48 against troy.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I'm not a huge fan of empty sets. I like to have the rb run threat... But if Spurriers using it, he probably has a good reason.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

We have had to keep the TEs in because they are needed to block.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I'm not a huge fan of empty sets. I like to have the rb run threat... But if Spurriers using it, he probably has a good reason.
I don't like it either usually, but with Shaw I'm ok with it. They still have to respect him as a runner.
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
The TE can be the primary receiver on any given play, FYI
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Quote:
The TE can be the primary receiver on any given play, FYI
Short, quick tight end throws would do wonders in loosening the box, getting Shaw into a comfortable rhythm, and draw coverage up to open the deep ball. In addition, we have 2 TE's who have WR speed while standing 6-5 and 6-6 and over 220. Either could take a missed tackle 30 yards, and Justice has shown his toughness in getting extra yards without the great speed. The TE should be the first look on numerous plays, especially when we want that positive 6 yard 1st down play or need that critical first down. If we beat them just past the front 7 early on, our running game will be better, and our speedy WR's will see less deep coverage from safeties. We've got the talent at TE, and it needn't be the 2nd or 3rd lok on the play. On sprint outs all three offer big targets and big blockers if Shaw decides to run.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
SpockCock
Redshirt

Male

CockyCash: 1250
SpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervous

Well, it seems to me that the two TE look is not ideal for the zone-read or QB draw. It's typically better to spread-out the defense, and thin out the box, when you run the ZR... which WAS our bread and butter. Secondly, when you have a running back like #21, I understand completely why you'd just use your 2-TE set to block and make running lanes. Now that #21's out, and shaw's shoulder is a nagging injury, I'm sure we'll see the HBC get a little more creative with the play calling. TE's will be more involved in the passing game from here on out.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well, it seems to me that the two TE look is not ideal for the zone-read or QB draw.
We run some I. We might need to run more without Lattimore's power and pass blocking available. We also throw out of the shotgun formations.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #13
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
We run some I. We might need to run more without Lattimore's power and pass blocking available. We also throw out of the shotgun formations.
I wish they would use the I formation more often.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #14
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
did you not watch the ut game? the guy went through his progressions just fine.

you should have said, "until he does it more than a week"..you make it sound like he hasnt done it yet.
What, one time in two years?

I hope you were being sarcastic.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
Wiz Khalifa
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Wiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudly

Rory "Busta" Anderson is the guy. I've been on him ever since he stepped foot on campus. Dude has a big frame with the height to go along with it. Athletic and a good blocker. We gotta get the ball in his hands more. Hes a scoring machine. He would be my #1 option when emphasizing the entire passing game.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I dont' know what the OP is talking about, we have been throwing to our TE's a lot.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I dont' know what the OP is talking about, we have been throwing to our TE's a lot.
Lately. It should have been a bigger part all year.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #18
Garnet 4 Life 81
Banned

Male

Garnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his claws

how about justice and busta at te. ace, adams, roland at wr. would love to see more of jerrell adams
Garnet 4 Life 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #19
StackzOnThe'Boose
Conductor

Male

StackzOnThe'Boose is learning to peckStackzOnThe'Boose is learning to peck
Send a message via Skype™ to StackzOnThe'Boose

I agree fully. Big guy - nice frame, great hands, just about a quick as they come. What I'm trying to say is that the TE position should indeed be a weapon. I've been watching the TE recruits come in one by one, height/size, etc. I'd say that half of them played 2 spots in HS, TE/WR with their stats coming in to the program. Something like that WOULD bring in WR/TE recruits as well as every other offensive position. Nothing is more exciting than watching a big tight end flare out into the flats, catch, and then make the other team hurt.
StackzOnThe'Boose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
Garnet 4 Life 81
Banned

Male

Garnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his claws

look how the patriots use their te. we could do some of that.
Garnet 4 Life 81 is offline   Reply With Quote