CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Order 66
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
taylorssc
l^l^lBGCock
NAGamecockFan
doubledribble
GarnetSwarm1990
ChickenButt
ScottK
So Disappointed With (2938)
No Comments on the H (915)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (251)
Call of Duty: Advanc (243)
Gameday parking in A (184)
Vote For Cocky (132)
Things They Should H (107)
Keeping tailgate foo (80)
2014-15 Premier League se
No Comments on the Holes?
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Thoughts on the basketbal
Texas athletic director:
BAW

Old 11-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
cockypirate
captain of this ship

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockypirate has developed his gaff and talonscockypirate has developed his gaff and talonscockypirate has developed his gaff and talonscockypirate has developed his gaff and talonscockypirate has developed his gaff and talonscockypirate has developed his gaff and talonscockypirate has developed his gaff and talonscockypirate has developed his gaff and talonscockypirate has developed his gaff and talonscockypirate has developed his gaff and talonscockypirate has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: A basic legal question

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
Doing what she was told to do, I guess. I go to court as well when told to do so, and am unaware of other options. If you mean paying the fine by mail I wouldn't trust that to be accomplished. Just my cynical view of our court system. They will f*** you at every turn!

Yea don't trust the mail in the money way out. I did that for a little no life jacket ticket about 3 years ago, just $100 so i mailed it in, but it never got to them for some reason. Needless to say i got pulled for no seat belt a couple of months later and had a warrant for my arrest, for that BS ticket.

Time to nut up or shut up!!
Stay feisty, DIE HARD!!
cockypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypirate View Post
Yea don't trust the mail in the money way out. I did that for a little no life jacket ticket about 3 years ago, just $100 so i mailed it in, but it never got to them for some reason. Needless to say i got pulled for no seat belt a couple of months later and had a warrant for my arrest, for that BS ticket.

I know people this has happened to! Absolutely no sympathy from the court, the person charged is always at fault, no other possible reason for the situation. Pisses me off their attitude when dealing with people. If I treated people that same way in my business I would get complaints and be fired!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #23
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
Traffic violations are criminal law violations, and as such you are afforded the right to a speedy trial which is why most states have lower courts that deal specifically with those crimes that occur frequently, and are generally punishable by small fines. Anyways I may be no attorney, but I do have my bachelor's in criminal justice which means I did study this a little bit. And I do know for a fact that 6th amendment cases have been heard and decided in regards to traffic violations.

The problem is that the definition of speedy trial varies from state to state, and certain violations are erroneously labeled as civil offenses in order to prevent sixth amendment arguments. (See traffic camera laws.)

Anyways I'm going to leave it at that, because that is about the extent of my knowledge on this subject without spending hours looking up court cases. I spent an entire year doing that during my Constitutional Law classes, and I don't care to relive that again .
You missed the point of why the 6th amendment even comes in to play. I dont understand why you would refer to a speedy trial when it's not even necessary. Unless the continuance goes on and on. This complaint would not even be validated by the courts.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
LeeSC
Melvin bowls...overhand.

Male

LeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot material

As this was a VERY simple case and the officer did not have his crap together, she should have asked for a dismissal.

With a case this simple, there is NO excuse for an officer to waste any more of the defendent's or the Court's time because he or she can't get their crap together.
LeeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #25
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSC View Post
As this was a VERY simple case and the officer did not have his crap together, she should have asked for a dismissal.

With a case this simple, there is NO excuse for an officer to waste any more of the defendent's or the Court's time because he or she can't get their crap together.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #26
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOps Cock View Post
You missed the point of why the 6th amendment even comes in to play. I dont understand why you would refer to a speedy trial when it's not even necessary. Unless the continuance goes on and on. This complaint would not even be validated by the courts.
You asked what the 6th amendment had to do with a traffic case, I answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSC View Post

Exactly and that is why I made the point I made.

Just in case there are any questions:

"Traffic offenses are offenses against the State in violation of penal law and therefore are criminal in nature. Thus the processes and procedural safeguards discussed in the CRIMINAL section apply to traffic offenses."

http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/summ...rafficA.htm#A1

"Article I, Section 14 of the S.C. Constitution, and the Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provide that the accused in a criminal trial shall have the right to a speedy and public trial. The right to a speedy trial is a right which can be waived. Waiver of such right is generally inferred where (1) the accused failed to make timely demand that he be either tried or discharged, (2) the court grants a continuance on motion of the accused or with his consent, or (3) the accused voluntarily entered a plea of guilty without raising the question of denial of a speedy trial. Wheeler v. State, 247 S.C. 393, 401, 147 S.E.2d 627, 630 (1966).

The constitutional guarantee of a speedy trial affords protection only against unnecessary or unreasonable delay. State v. Chapman, 289 S.C. 42, 344 S.E.2d 611 (1986). The determination of whether or not an accused has been denied his constitutional right to a speedy trial depends on the circumstances of each case. State v. Brazell, 325 S.C. 65, 75, 480 S.E.2d 64,70 (1997). For the defendant to establish the fact that he has been denied a speedy trial, he must demonstrate the delay was attributable to the neglect and willfulness of the State. State v. Dukes, 256 S.C. 218, 222, 182 S.E.2d 286, 288 (1971). Certain factors which must be considered in determining whether the defendant has been denied a speedy trial are: (1) the length of the delay, (2) the government's reason for the delay, (3) the defendant's assertion of his right to a speedy trial, and (4) prejudice to the defendant. This four part balancing test was adopted by the United States Supreme Court in Barker v. Wingo, 407 U.S.514 (1972). "South Carolina has also adopted this approach to the speedy trial analysis." See Brazell, supra, State v. Smith, 307 S.C. 376, 415 S.E.2d 409 (Ct. App. 1992); State v. Robinson, 335 S.C. 620, 518 S.E.2d 269 (Ct. App. 1999)."

http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/summ.../CriminalG.htm

She went to her trial at the appointed time and place with the intent to plea guilty and pay the appropriate fine. When she attempted to do so, the magistrate delayed the hearing until another date. Why? Maybe it was like LeeSC said or maybe it was a misunderstanding. Who knows? Assuming that the original story is true, then one may assume that one of those reasons were why it was delayed. And if that is true, then it seemingly falls right into the scope of "neglect and willfulness of the State."

So unless there are other details not discussed here, then she would be well within her rights to seek dismissal on those basis. However, like I stated above, she should speak to an attorney and allow him to make the decision on whether or not to move forward.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Well, who said magistrates know the law? you don't even have to have a JD to be a magistrate

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote