CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
peterlemon
Kyle76
The Yancey
bcolinc
zcoop
Cockypantherfan
WeStillOwnUSC
18IsTheMan
ecugrad
GSC2013
The Demise of the 3- (2080)
Pirate Depth Chart (1244)
East Carolina Predic (1129)
Why didn't Wes Green (1012)
Did we ever go after (516)
You guys are horribl (473)
A&M on 3rd down (355)
It's the offenses no (327)
Finally Cooled Off (311)
louisville (242)
Gamecocks claimed and re-
Past SEC Champions who ha
louisville
Do we have any shot again
Carolina opens -15.5
Watching the Georgia game
2014-15 Premier League se
Madden 15 demo?
East Carolina Prediction
Recruiting Question

Old 11-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #41
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material
Default Re: Oregon - Kanasa State - ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
They had just as good offenses the past 2 years also and both times... lost when they played against a good d-line a la LSU and Auburn. If they had to play in the East and had our 4 game stretch they would lose 2 at least
That's not what I'm saying.
If they played any of those teams I mentioned they'd put up points.
Because those teams are AWFUL

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #42
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material
Default Re: Oregon - Kansas State - ND

I actually believe ND is the best out of all of these because they actually play defense.
We'll see what happens when they play @ USC the last game of the season.
That will be a good way to judge.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #43
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyCyclone View Post
Why not use the A&M example instead of Mizzou? Mizzou has had a ton of injuries and would suck in the Big 12 now too, they were 6-6 last year as was A&M, but A&M's offense seems to be doing just fine in the SEC.
A&M O isn't why they are being successful, but their D has been solid even when in the Big 12. Missouri has never had a good D, but just out scored people. Also A&M isn't doing well against the teams listed in this conversation.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #44
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

If ND beats So Cal by a TD, 27-20, what does that say about them? Does Oregon still get considered the better team since they scored 60+ points, even though they gave up 50+ points?

All 3 of the teams mentioned are flawed, but feel like Oregon gets a pass since they look good scoring a bunch of points, but play no D.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #45
CockyCyclone
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 16788014
CockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
A&M O isn't why they are being successful, but their D has been solid even when in the Big 12. Missouri has never had a good D, but just out scored people. Also A&M isn't doing well against the teams listed in this conversation.
You just proved you have no idea what you are talking about with this post. Go look at the stats on A&M's defense for the past few years including this year.

A&M barely lost to Florida and LSU and could have won both, more than we can say.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #46
USCgamecocks
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1368
USCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPit

Quote:
If ND beats So Cal by a TD, 27-20, what does that say about them? Does Oregon still get considered the better team since they scored 60+ points, even though they gave up 50+ points?

All 3 of the teams mentioned are flawed, but feel like Oregon gets a pass since they look good scoring a bunch of points, but play no D.
Oregon is 50th in total defense while aTm is 46th
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #47
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
You just proved you have no idea what you are talking about with this post. Go look at the stats on A&M's defense for the past few years including this year.

A&M barely lost to Florida and LSU and could have won both, more than we can say.
They almost won...so they lost. I also said that their D was why they were competitive against SEC teams, not the O. Why don't you look at those scores, before you make yourself look bad.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #48
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCgamecocks View Post
Oregon is 50th in total defense while aTm is 46th
And A&M isn't #3 in the nation? So what's the point? You mean Oregon would be a 3 loss team in the SEC, thanks for agreeing.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #49
CockyCyclone
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 16788014
CockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudly

Quote:
They almost won...so they lost. I also said that their D was why they were competitive against SEC teams, not the O. Why don't you look at those scores, before you make yourself look bad.
59-57 to Louisiana Tech, their D is not the reason they are doing good.

Just because crappy SEC teams aren't scoring a bunch doesn't mean their D is good.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #50
USCgamecocks
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1368
USCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPit

Quote:
And A&M isn't #3 in the nation? So what's the point? You mean Oregon would be a 3 loss team in the SEC, thanks for agreeing.
You say Oregon plays no D, then you say aTm plays decent D, yet the stats say Oregon plays better defense against better offenses then aTm. So your argument holds no water.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #51
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCgamecocks View Post
You say Oregon plays no D, then you say aTm plays decent D, yet the stats say Oregon plays better defense against better offenses then aTm. So your argument holds no water.
Yes, they have a crappy D to be the top team in the land. They have a good enough D, like A&M to go 7-5 or 8-4 in the SEC. It really isn't that hard to follow.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #52
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:

Oregon does play D though. You make it sound like they are WVU and getting ran over by terrible teams. The USC game is the first time they have had an outing like that. Like I said their D is not elite or even great, but I think it's a decent unit and they are definitely playing D.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #53
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
59-57 to Louisiana Tech, their D is not the reason they are doing good.

Just because crappy SEC teams aren't scoring a bunch doesn't mean their D is good.
A&M has played solid D and has the size to play D against SEC, one game isn't the gage of a team. Oregon has shown consistently not to perform well on D when it matters. When was the last time Oregon won a game, 20-14. They don't and can't win the style they play. They are like the Phoenix Suns when Nash was there, they try to outscore you. That works well in the regular season against average teams, but elite teams and playoff time that doesn't work.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #54
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Oregon does play D though. You make it sound like they are WVU and getting ran over by terrible teams. The USC game is the first time they have had an outing like that. Like I said their D is not elite or even great, but I think it's a decent unit and they are definitely playing D.
Oregon is small and just relies on speed. They try to get up big and then force teams to just pass and they use their speed to blitz and get turnovers. They can't stop a powerful team, like the SEC teams, and their O can't outmatch the SEC Ds like they do in the Pac 12.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #55
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yes, they have a crappy D to be the top team in the land. They have a good enough D, like A&M to go 7-5 or 8-4 in the SEC. It really isn't that hard to follow.
I think Oregon's offense is better than A&M's though. So, they would probably win more games than A&M. You can argue that Oregon's defense looks bad because they play more dynamic offenses in the Pac12. This is all speculative BS and no way to prove either point, so it's either you are one of the guys who think outsiders just simply can't compete in the big bad SEC or you are one of the guys who believes football exists outside the SEC. Oregon lost to a beastly Auburn team by 3 points, so I don't see how people can say they can't compete and can't play any semblance of defense.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #56
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

This debate is exactly why I want Oregon and Bama to play for the BCS title. Great matchup. Amazing matchup really.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #57
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
That's not what I'm saying.
If they played any of those teams I mentioned they'd put up points.
Because those teams are AWFUL
i should have specified specifically that I meant good dlines and good SEC dlines which is 5-6 teams. I honestly think we would give them fits bc we would keep them off the field and our dline is just so fast
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #58
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
I agree. Living on the west coast, I see Oregon play more than most of you. Their D is decent. It's not the best but they are opportunistic, get a lot of takeaways, are decent against run and pass, and score points.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #59
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I'm so hoping for 4 undefeated teams......which 2 don't go to the big dance.
ND and K St.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #60
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I think Oregon's offense is better than A&M's though. So, they would probably win more games than A&M. You can argue that Oregon's defense looks bad because they play more dynamic offenses in the Pac12. This is all speculative BS and no way to prove either point, so it's either you are one of the guys who think outsiders just simply can't compete in the big bad SEC or you are one of the guys who believes football exists outside the SEC. Oregon lost to a beastly Auburn team by 3 points, so I don't see how people can say they can't compete and can't play any semblance of defense.
I don't disagree that they could compete but they wouldn't look elite like they do now. PAC 12 has been shown consistently to be poor defenses that make their offense look better than they really are. If Oregon was in the SEC the grind would probably cause them to have 2 losses. I am sure they'd have their years where they ran the table, but they wouldn't be some Juggernaut offense that no one could keep under 50, like they are in the PAC 12.