CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
sanford
Regalcock
MWard
ReadR00ster
GarnetSwarm1990
Cockypantherfan
WeStillOwnUSC
PvtWarlick
Cocked & Locked
Cockholio
Sidney Rice Retiring (730)
watching the Alabama (627)
Da'Quan Bowers had a (512)
A good friend of min (421)
Dan Patrick Show - P (374)
ESPN Insider (325)
Phil Steele's Colleg (254)
Pictures of older Co (236)
A Clowney Spotting? (140)
Places to eat in Con (136)
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Georgia Defensive returni
Texags
watching the Alabama vs T
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Places to eat in Conway?
2015 - Johnny Frasier
2015 - Christian Pellage
Ace suspended 4 games
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas

Old 11-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #61
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material
Default Re: Percentage of People in South Carolina that Prefer the Gamecocks Is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
Maybe back to back baseball championships has made SC a school that is known by everyone!
In the state yes.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #62
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material
Default Re: Percentage of People in South Carolina that Prefer the Gamecocks Is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
In the state yes.
i bet most sports followers are aware, in some capacity, of us being in the cws 3 years straight.
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #63
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
i bet most sports followers are aware, in some capacity, of us being in the cws 3 years straight.
Reasonable.

But I bet you more know about the hiring of Frank Martin

#LukeForMod

Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #64
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Reasonable.

But I bet you more know about the hiring of Frank Martin
I doubt it. Frank Martin isn't Calapari or Bobby Knight. In fact, until SC hired him, I'm pretty sure most people in SC hadn't ever heard of him, let alone sports fans across the country.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #65
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Being an immigrant from England who went to college here for a year and then came back, the overwhelming impression I got from people was that Clemson was considered to be all the redneck trash.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #66
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
I doubt it. Frank Martin isn't Calapari or Bobby Knight. In fact, until SC hired him, I'm pretty sure most people in SC hadn't ever heard of him, let alone sports fans across the country.
Made front page news on ESPN.com.

I'm not saying that is the end all. But they play for ratings.

I wouldn't doubt it, but baseball isn't the reason we are more popular than Clemson nationally.

#LukeForMod

Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #67
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Made front page news on ESPN.com.

I'm not saying that is the end all. But they play for ratings.

I wouldn't doubt it, but baseball isn't the reason we are more popular than Clemson nationally.
I agree with you about baseball, although I'll say basketball definitely isn't the reason either.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #68
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
I agree with you about baseball, although I'll say basketball definitely isn't the reason either.
I wasn't saying it was.

Was just using a comparison.

#LukeForMod

Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #69
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Our baseball team playing the past three years in the CWS, along with Coach Ray brought us more media attention than clemsuck has had since 81.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #70
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Builder View Post
This is about to turn into a biased hissy fit but that is not the feeling I get at all. Clemson seems to be supported by the white collar crowd and SC seems to get the blue collar support. Clemson ranks higher in the USNWR ratings, has higher acceptance standards, and have higher initial and average lifetime earnings (this are facts not smack). Because SC is in the SEC they get more of the redneck stereotypes on the national stage. You guys are associated with Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee. We get grouped with UVA, UNC, and GT.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #71
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
reading a lot about the history of the two schools this image of Clemson being more "white collar" or "elitist" actually only came about after WWII before that ..USC was viewed as more "elitist" and clemson was more "blue collar" however after WWII USC started to accept soldiers returning home with GI Bill and clemson for some reason did not or not to the same level and the views and mission of the two schools seem to switch where USC became more a university of the people whose goal was to educate the citizens of SC and clemson limited their numbers and growth to become more difficult to get into. just thought the switch of perception of the two schools was interesting
I've read that too. I think that in the past that has been the case, but i also think that the tide is turning the other way. Seeing that an increasing people under 30 would choose Carolina is evidence of that.

In the past 10 years since I started at Carolina, there has been a significant cultural shift. My perception is that Carolina is more progressive and successful than it has been in the past. I've seen reports about how USC is an "up and coming" university, and we've been added to many prestigious and selective lists for the work and research that is being done. On top of that, fundraising and research at Carolina has out paced itself every year for the past 5-8 years- even during the recession! The $1billion goal for the capital campaign set a new standard for excellence in SC. I can go on, but I'm preaching to the choir here. The success of the higher profile athletics programs only reinforces what is happening academically.

Clemson has it's place in the world, and it is a good university too. I hold degrees from both institutions, so I have a lot of respect for what Clemson is trying to do. I do, however, take issue with the way that they seem to be doing it. I won't derail this thread, but my general sentiment is that I feel Clemson is trying too hard to be "elite" when it just isn't there yet. You aren't an elite university if you have to effectively say "we're elite! we're elite!" I also don't care for the undeserved arrogance that is associated with Clemson.

More importantly, I want both Clemson and Carolina to reach "elite" status some day, because ultimately that is better for South Carolina as a whole. Better education leads to more success as a state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
My anecdotal evidence from travels across the country for work indicates otherwise. I often end up talking with strangers at bars, on airplanes, etc, about college football...and always end up asking the strangers' thoughts on both SC and Clemson. I have yet to come across anyone that has anything good to say about Clemson.
My experience out of state is that IF people have heard of Clemson, they don't know where it is, and they think it's a private school. Universities named for people rather than states tend to be private, and Clemson is among the few exceptions to that rule (along with Perdue, maybe Auburn)

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #72
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I've read that too. I think that in the past that has been the case, but i also think that the tide is turning the other way. Seeing that an increasing people under 30 would choose Carolina is evidence of that.

In the past 10 years since I started at Carolina, there has been a significant cultural shift. My perception is that Carolina is more progressive and successful than it has been in the past. I've seen reports about how USC is an "up and coming" university, and we've been added to many prestigious and selective lists for the work and research that is being done. On top of that, fundraising and research at Carolina has out paced itself every year for the past 5-8 years- even during the recession! The $1billion goal for the capital campaign set a new standard for excellence in SC. I can go on, but I'm preaching to the choir here. The success of the higher profile athletics programs only reinforces what is happening academically.

Clemson has it's place in the world, and it is a good university too. I hold degrees from both institutions, so I have a lot of respect for what Clemson is trying to do. I do, however, take issue with the way that they seem to be doing it. I won't derail this thread, but my general sentiment is that I feel Clemson is trying too hard to be "elite" when it just isn't there yet. You aren't an elite university if you have to effectively say "we're elite! we're elite!" I also don't care for the undeserved arrogance that is associated with Clemson.

More importantly, I want both Clemson and Carolina to reach "elite" status some day, because ultimately that is better for South Carolina as a whole. Better education leads to more success as a state.

My experience out of state is that IF people have heard of Clemson, they don't know where it is, and they think it's a private school. Universities named for people rather than states tend to be private, and Clemson is among the few exceptions to that rule (along with Perdue, maybe Auburn)
I'll go out on a limb and guess that you got your "Spelling Colleges for 100" degree from Clemson.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #73
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
I'll go out on a limb and guess that you got your "Spelling Colleges for 100" degree from Clemson.
Lol, let's just say it made them uncomfortable when I used words with more than two syllables.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #74
chi3fcocksman
Fanatic

Male

CockyCash: 100302
chi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Builder View Post
Since you guys are centrally located within the state and Clemson is practically in Georgia, you are closer to probably 70% of the State's population as well. A lot of people when I travel do not even realize that Clemson is in SC.
I nominate Georgia to annex Clemson can I get a second ?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #75
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Maybe the sampling survey underrepresented the agricultural and pizza delivery industry?

Seriously, some of this is just common sense. USC is bigger, we're in the SEC, we get more TV exposure, and we do not wear purple and orange. Not a big mystery here.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #76
gsgp
Blue Chip

Male

gsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talons

And that is a correct statement sir.
gsgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #77
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
Maybe the sampling survey underrepresented the agricultural and pizza delivery industry?

Seriously, some of this is just common sense. USC is bigger, we're in the SEC, we get more TV exposure, and we do not wear purple and orange. Not a big mystery here.
And we aren't called "Clemson"... I mean wtf is a "Clemson"... THE University of South Carolina is self-explanatory.