CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
GamecockSuperFan
robgusc76
cocks are us
El Cid Ranger
A. Pilgrim
taylorssc
jellafever
johnnyb
GarnetSwarm1990
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2064)
Jimbo Fisher Blames (957)
Ole Miss Fan's Milk- (829)
Herbstreit on " (819)
Little know stat (We (776)
SEC QB's in the Red (775)
Gamecockology Helms (704)
2013 Georgia vs. 201 (647)
Gif Sharing Time!!!! (409)
Where do you like to (339)
Tennessee - South Carolin
SEC QB's in the Red Zone
2015 Commitment - Mark Fi
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
Uniforms for Tenn
Gamecockology Helms
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTING
Halo: Master Chief Collec
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --

Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007
Default Connor Shaw & Mike Davis

First Connor...the guy has taken a lot of criticism & flack since the Florida & LSU game & once again when the leader of the team goes down...he takes the team & puts them on his back & continues to show heart & finds ways to WIN ANYWAY! And a heck of a game by Mike Davis...kid has a lot of promise & runs & blocks & played today with a ton of heart as well!

Here's to u Connor & Mikey! Great game fellas!!

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor Shaw & Mike Davis

Kenny Miles was a beast Saturday.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Kenny Miles was a beast Saturday.
Yes he was....Josh Blue didn't look bad either.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Shaw plays well at home...gotta get him comfy on the road
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
Shaw plays well at home...gotta get him comfy on the road
I like Conor, he's a gamer like Garcia was. But I still say if Spurrier had Tyler Wilson to work with, we'd be heading into the SECCG now and maybe NC. I watched Manziel a bit today against Bama. Where the heck do they get these guys and why can't we find one??
Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Not overlooking Kenny Miles one bit but looking ahead to next season, Mike Davis looks very promising. He had his best game yet from what I could tell, showed some nifty speed and quickness. A year of S&C and he could be a bowling ball. With Wilds and Davis in the backfield looks like we will be well stocked.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

I've said it before and It's as true now as it was when I said it after
game one.

Connor is a Zone Read QB. He can be a decent pocket passer, but he
is at his best when he can roll out or move around. We FINALLY figured
that out last week against UT, and yesterday and in passing downs
we are getting him out of the pocket and allowing him to move some to
throw....... HOWEVER, this is ony a result of what I've been saying for
9 weeks. Our O/Line is causing this team to underachieve and unless it
gets better next season, we are going to continue to see our offense
struggle and be less than what it can be.
Shaw could have become a consistently good drop back and pass guy, but
with the line we had, he was under fire way too quickly. Our line is also
the reason Lattimore has not gotten the full measure of his talent here,
and had to do what he did on his own for the most part.

Unless we get the line playing like an SEC Caliber line is capable of playing
Connor Mitch and Brandon Nosovich will suffer the same fate. If our
coaching staff wants to compete for the SEC Title next year we have to
re-evaluate a couple of position coaches (3 at least IMO). Make the
changes or suffer a team that is going to be less than it is capable of
being.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

OLINE
WR
And secondary coach?

Which ones are you thinking of?

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Garnet 4 Life 81
Banned

Male

Garnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I've said it before and It's as true now as it was when I said it after
game one.

Connor is a Zone Read QB. He can be a decent pocket passer, but he
is at his best when he can roll out or move around. We FINALLY figured
that out last week against UT, and yesterday and in passing downs
we are getting him out of the pocket and allowing him to move some to
throw....... HOWEVER, this is ony a result of what I've been saying for
9 weeks. Our O/Line is causing this team to underachieve and unless it
gets better next season, we are going to continue to see our offense
struggle and be less than what it can be.
Shaw could have become a consistently good drop back and pass guy, but
with the line we had, he was under fire way too quickly. Our line is also
the reason Lattimore has not gotten the full measure of his talent here,
and had to do what he did on his own for the most part.

being.
Garnet 4 Life 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Our pass protection has been fine. That's certainly not the problem. Run blocking has been another story.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
Our pass protection has been fine. That's certainly not the problem. Run blocking has been another story.
What games have you been watching? Against bad D's he has a little more time sometimes...but against good D's he had very little time. Give Connor Tennessee's OL & you will see how good of a QB we really have. That being said...I do think the future is promising at OL...so hopefully next year Connor can have more time to show what he can do

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
I would have agreed with you prior to this week. However the pass protection yesterday the pass protection was terrible. Even on designed roll outs Connor was under pressure. Johnson spent half the game trying to explain blocking assignments to guys and that shouldn't be happening 10 games into the season.

I would agree that position coach wise WR and Oline need to be looked at but we know one of those won't happen. As for the DBs considering the injuries and subsequent shuffling I'm not sure it's time to look there yet.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

I thought the pass blocking looked very good yesterday.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
OLINE
WR
And secondary coach?

RB
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
OLINE
WR
And secondary coach?

I'm still torn about Elliott just because he brings so much passion to his position, and the kids seem to like him a lot. And there has been a LOT of turnover at his position that even the Oline players have mentioned they're glad has stopped since Elliott has been here, but if the results don't eventually show up on the field, I think something has to be done there.

I like Spurrier Jr., but it seems like the players at his position have been underwhelming overall. I mean when a guy that has all kinds of natural talent comes in like Roland and struggles to make plays, I think that's an indicator (at least partially) of the coaching. I know Roland has had some balls thrown to him that were either slightly under or over thrown, but one would think his natural talent would help him overcome some of the deficiencies in ball placement, so that makes me think something has happened in the coaching he receives to overrule his instincts and natural ability.

As for Brown, this is his first year, so I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt at the very least. His secondaries at Southern Miss. were pretty good overall from what I remember (which isn't very much to be honest), and I think the secondary has performed pretty well this year considering what Brown inherited. Gilmore, Whitlock, and Allen (which affects who plays safety) are all gone, Legree is playing corner for the first time in college, and Auguste is playing after roughly 2.5 years off (rust). So I disagree about needing to make a change there.

As many have said before, ultimately the players are the ones that must make the plays on the field, but there comes a point when the product on the field must be considered a reflection of the training the players have recieved. With that said, NONE of the coaches should be considered locks for holding their positions, because the team hasn't performed with enough consistency, but some are more deserving of further consideration than others. This is just my opinion, of course.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
being.

Are you saying that we need yet another o-line coach? Elliott wasn't exactly handed a stable of SEC caliber o-lineman but he has recruited them. With the exception of TJ Johnson we are playing Freshman and Sophomores up front. Ronald Patrick is a Junior but he's not exactly all SEC like Johnson is. It seems to me that our o-line problems are mostly youth and depth not coaching. I do agree that due to the o-line we do need to move Connor and the pocket around more to give plays time to develope.

As for the other position coaches who do you believe is not coaching up to par? Personally I would start with Special Teams but they haven't looked good since Ryan Succop so maybe some of the blame needs to be put on recruiting kickers which falls back on the head coach. The defensive secondary once again has struggled against good passing teams but they did play pretty well against Arky but Tenn lit them up all day.

Just curious on who you think needs replacing. This is Ward's first year in charge of the defense and while I wasn't all that thrilled with the hire and with it I knew there would be a learning curve but all in all I think he has done a pretty good job for his first season. Again, just curious on your thoughts since like most CockyTalkers I respect your opinion.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

well if you want to make a move at oline...Tenn's o-line coach (and maybe even Graham again) may be available for the taking when Dooley is canned....
Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
RB
Just curious why you think a change needs to happen at the RB coach position. This is Sands's first year, so, like Brown, I think he deserves more than just one year to rate his performance. If any of the first year coaches are questionable, then Botkin should be near or at the top of the list. Have the linebackers performed pretty well overall this year? I think so, but couldn't that also be a result of the unit being comprised of what Botkin called, "...a bunch of old guys?"

Let me say that I am actually one of the folks that really likes Botkin and really think he should remain on the staff. My point is that Botkin has had more to work with than Brown or Sands (thinking of injuries at RB), but everyone wants to hang the latter two out to dry. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
well if you want to make a move at oline...Tenn's o-line coach (and maybe even Graham again) may be available for the taking when Dooley is canned....

I seriously doubt whoever replaces Dooley will get rid of Graham. He's not just a great RB coach but a great recruiter as well. That and being a Tenn Alumni I think his job is safe. Also Tenn o-line has been the only consistent position performing well all season so I have to believe that he would be safe as well but you never know.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Graham has a multi year deal. He will be on the next coach's staff at UT.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote