CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ReadR00ster
eaglegolf018
ccured
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
Thenardier
ucan'tlickourcocks
ColaCock
The Yancey
Lalli25
Stadium Ratings-Site (792)
NBA Wants to Up Age (433)
Construction of Worl (393)
Peach Bowl name retu (377)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (349)
Save Electricity By (342)
HELP calculating acr (288)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (273)
How Experienced In P (238)
40 Ways You Know You (171)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
What is your perfect egg?
Jameis Winston's Accuser
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Name a Gamecock
Stadium Ratings-Site rate

Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material
Default If you were the Coaching Candidate

and you had a 3.5 M - 6 year offer from Tennessee, Auburn and Arkansas which one would you choose? You know this is your best chance to land a SEC job and you are ready to make the move.

Interested to read the responses.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Fear#5
New and Improved

Male

CockyCash: 249940200
Fear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot material
Default Re: If you were the Coaching Candidate

Depends on my coaching style. If i was a spread/read option type, Auburn. If i was a spread/throw the ball around the field, Arkansas. If i was a pro style, Tennessee.

If i was more of a defensive minded coach i would lean towards Auburn over Tennessee. More talent on the defense at Auburn, although it's underdeveloped. I think it would be a bit easier to recruit to Auburn too.
Fear#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

UT. I like the area much more than the other two and it has all of the tools to succeed in place (not personnel, but facilities, funding, prestige, etc)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
nodnahs
Blue Chip

Male

nodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talons

Hands down, UT..
nodnahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Tenn, Auburn then Arkansas in that order.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

1Tenn 2 Auburn 3 Arkansas
Like the tenn area plus more tradition than Arkansas and idk auburn just seems like they are going to take more work to get going.

Only problem with Tenn is its harder to recruit the state of SC now and auburn has more recruiting areas.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 98700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Tennessee. It's a national brand.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

In order:

UT-Knoxville.... Great facilities, great fan base... fantastic tradition..

Arkansas.. Same as above, and when ya got the Wal-Mart and Tyson family as 2 big donors... cant hurt!

Auburn.. Has the history like UT-K, but as long as Pat Dye is running the place... Im gonna take UT and Arky over them all day long...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
GH

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
and you had a 3.5 M - 6 year offer from Tennessee, Auburn and Arkansas which one would you choose? You know this is your best chance to land a SEC job and you are ready to make the move.

Interested to read the responses.

Tennessee for these reasons:

1) I would try to get the best offensive and defensive coordinators available and let them call the plays.

2) Tennessee has the national brand name so you can go into any house in Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida and the Carolinas and recruit the some of the best kids from those areas.

3) Not that far away at all from Atl, Charlotte, Memphis and Columbia.

4) Tennessee aint playing LSU and Alabama every year.

5) I wouldn't be the first Coach to jump ship as soon as a USC offered ;)
Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Tenn is playing Bama every year.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Erik
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Erik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Tennessee for these reasons:

1) I would try to get the best offensive and defensive coordinators available and let them call the plays.

2) Tennessee has the national brand name so you can go into any house in Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida and the Carolinas and recruit the some of the best kids from those areas.

3) Not that far away at all from Atl, Charlotte, Memphis and Columbia.

4) Tennessee aint playing LSU and Alabama every year.

5) I wouldn't be the first Coach to jump ship as soon as a USC offered ;)
You do know they play Alabama every year, right?
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
GH

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post

I am saying LSU AND BAMA every year like the other two do.

I made the assumption that since Arkansas and Auburn play in the west, they play LSU and Alabama every year (as in both).
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
How do you view it Erik? I know it is hard to look at things at your own program from a non-biased point of view.

IMO I am surprised more people don't lean towards Auburn.

They have a bigger in state talent pool, similar tradition, fanbases and facilities (not quite as good at each but damn close) and have had more recent success.

I do know you share the state with Alabama and are in the West where it looks like now A&M is going to step up and make that division even harder...but Auburn is a top program.

On the other hand, Tennessee really has no in state competition (save the past year with Franklin taking advantage of a Dooley led TN), insane recruiting budget, Top 5 if not #1 facilities, huge fan base, great tradition.

Both programs have passionate fan bases with unreal expectations so that is a wash.

They are pretty equal jobs. Both top 15-20.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

This is an interesting conversation because there is a good chance Strong/Patterson/Petrino ect are going to have each of these schools calling on them.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

For Recruiting purposes & chances to have quicker success

1. Auburn
2. Arkie
3. Tenn

Tennessee is in no mans land, gonna take one hell of a great coach to get them back to the level they once were in the east with South Carolina, Georgia & Florida all rising.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegthecock View Post
For Recruiting purposes & chances to have quicker success

1. Auburn
2. Arkie
3. Tenn

Tennessee is in no mans land, gonna take one hell of a great coach to get them back to the level they once were in the east with South Carolina, Georgia & Florida all rising.
Not arguing, but how does Arkansas have a recruiting advantage over TN?

Proximity to Texas? That is about the only thing I can think of.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

Auburn hands down. I would want to be a part of the Auburn family. Both of my parents graduated from there and I grew up going to Auburn games. There's a special moment between a father and his 7 year old son at the time when he gives you a roll of toilet paper and says "Throw it as hard as you can son."

Auburn still has the national brand and the fans are amazing in Alabama. Auburn is also a 6 star program on NCAA football
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
Not arguing, but how does Arkansas have a recruiting advantage over TN?

Proximity to Texas? That is about the only thing I can think of.
Arkie reaches into Texas & Missouri as well as the state of Alabama & Louisiana. Even if they get table scraps from Auburn, Alabama & LSU they still wind up with great talent.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Tenn, Auburn then Arkansas in that order.
I agree.............With the Vols being far and away my first pick !
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegthecock View Post
Arkie reaches into Texas & Missouri as well as the state of Alabama & Louisiana. Even if they get table scraps from Auburn, Alabama & LSU they still wind up with great talent.

So TN doesn't have close proximity to Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, ect?

Confused by this. Totally agree with Auburn have a distinct recruiting talent base advantage...can't get on board with the Arkansas theory though.