CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
b381l
Gamecockswag
cocksmith1or11
The Yancey
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
conwaycock2
Travelin
The Comeback & T (613)
Simple "yes&quo (558)
ESPN Game Day Commen (511)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (434)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (395)
TeMarcus Blanton (327)
An A to Z of Noah We (297)
Phil Steele just pre (184)
Wallpaper & Back (180)
Simple "yes" or
Garcia: Change the Rules
2016 - Avery McCall
Phil Steele just predicte
Ranking the SEC Football
The Comeback & The Bl
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
TeMarcus Blanton
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr

Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit
Default Re: If you were the Coaching Candidate

There is so much talent down here in central and south Alabama, not mention the areas around Columbus and LaGrange, that you can't fart without a blue-chip recruit smelling it. I think Auburn has the best chance of success, but I would hate that job. Everything here is traditional to the point that it could suffocate a coach. All the boosters controlling the program and the "Auburn Family" being force-fed to you, you can't even control your own recruiting pitches. I would probably take the Tennessee job. The in-state talent is weak, but it's close enough and prestigious enough to get the stealable kids from Georgia, Virginia, and especially North Carolina, that it would take to make it big again.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegthecock View Post
Arkie reaches into Texas & Missouri as well as the state of Alabama & Louisiana. Even if they get table scraps from Auburn, Alabama & LSU they still wind up with great talent.
SEC Rivals recruiting rankings the past 10 years.

2013 (currently) - Tennessee #9 Arkansas #13
2012 - Tennessee #6 Arkansas #12
2011 - Tennessee #6 Arkansas #9
2010 - Tennessee #5 Arkansas #12
2009 - Tennessee #4 Arkansas #7
2008 - Tennessee #10 Arkansas #11
2007 - Tennessee #2 Arkansas #9
2006 - Tennessee #7 Arkansas #10
2005 - Tennessee #1 Arkansas #9
2004 - Tenneseee #5 Arkansas #7
2003 - Tennessee #8 Arkansas #10
2002 - Tennessee #1 Arkansas #9

These rankings are where we would have been if A&M and Missouri were in the conference the past 10 years as well.

I think your point has been disputed.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #23
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

I would go Tenn, because Bama and LSU have been SO dominant in the recent past. You've have a better chance getting recruits and wins to Tenn with the simple "we don't have to play Bama and LSU every single year.

If you go to Arky (which actually has a lot of talent) or Auburn (which I wouldn't touch either way) you'd have to face those 2 every year AND SC, UGA, UF, or TN.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
SEC Rivals recruiting rankings the past 10 years.

2013 (currently) - Tennessee #9 Arkansas #13
2012 - Tennessee #6 Arkansas #12
2011 - Tennessee #6 Arkansas #9
2010 - Tennessee #5 Arkansas #12
2009 - Tennessee #4 Arkansas #7
2008 - Tennessee #10 Arkansas #11
2007 - Tennessee #2 Arkansas #9
2006 - Tennessee #7 Arkansas #10
2005 - Tennessee #1 Arkansas #9
2004 - Tenneseee #5 Arkansas #7
2003 - Tennessee #8 Arkansas #10
2002 - Tennessee #1 Arkansas #9

These rankings are where we would have been if A&M and Missouri were in the conference the past 10 years as well.

I think your point has been disputed.
I can see your point, however I don't tend to put much stock in National Recruiting rankings. I would argue that Arkie has done more with their recruits (or either they were better) over the last 5 years or so.

I do prefer Tennessee Geographically though. Arkansas & Alabama are hot, muggy, & not very beautiful. Knoxville is really pretty in some spots.

BTW, is Dooley gone for certain?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #25
gamecockjay
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPit

UT and it is not even close! No offense to Auburn or Arkansas but it would be easier to leapfrog USC/UGA and Fla than Bama/LSU/TAM in your division.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #26
Erik
Banned

Male

Erik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPit

Quote:
How do you view it Erik? I know it is hard to look at things at your own program from a non-biased point of view.

IMO I am surprised more people don't lean towards Auburn.

They have a bigger in state talent pool, similar tradition, fanbases and facilities (not quite as good at each but damn close) and have had more recent success.

I do know you share the state with Alabama and are in the West where it looks like now A&M is going to step up and make that division even harder...but Auburn is a top program.

On the other hand, Tennessee really has no in state competition (save the past year with Franklin taking advantage of a Dooley led TN), insane recruiting budget, Top 5 if not #1 facilities, huge fan base, great tradition.

Both programs have passionate fan bases with unreal expectations so that is a wash.

They are pretty equal jobs. Both top 15-20.
I'd say they're pretty much even. UTenn has a bigger stadium. Auburn has newer facilities. Auburn tends to get most of its talent from AL, GA and FL. While UTenn is #1 in the SEC in recruiting spending, I think AU is #2.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I can see your point, however I don't tend to put much stock in National Recruiting rankings. I would argue that Arkie has done more with their recruits (or either they were better) over the last 5 years or so.

I do prefer Tennessee Geographically though. Arkansas & Alabama are hot, muggy, & not very beautiful. Knoxville is really pretty in some spots.

BTW, is Dooley gone for certain?
They've done better because they have had much better...COACHING.

The only proof you need to see that TN isn't as hard to recruit to as people make it out to be is the level of talent we have brought in the past five years with a completely unproven coach while having our worst on field results of our history.

Yes Dooley is gone, supposedly he addressed the team this morning, but no public announcement will be made till after season because they don't want the media bombarding the players with questions about Dooley being fired.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #28
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
I would go Tenn, because Bama and LSU have been SO dominant in the recent past. You've have a better chance getting recruits and wins to Tenn with the simple "we don't have to play Bama and LSU every single year.

If you go to Arky (which actually has a lot of talent) or Auburn (which I wouldn't touch either way) you'd have to face those 2 every year AND SC, UGA, UF, or TN.

"you do know Tenn plays Alabama every year, right?"
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #29
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I'd say they're pretty much even. UTenn has a bigger stadium. Auburn has newer facilities. Auburn tends to get most of its talent from AL, GA and FL. While UTenn is #1 in the SEC in recruiting spending, I think AU is #2.
Might want to rethink that.

http://www.utsports.com/view.gal?id=126284

Just built opening in 2013.

Tops in the country.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #30
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Quote:
They've done better because they have had much better...COACHING.

The only proof you need to see that TN isn't as hard to recruit to as people make it out to be is the level of talent we have brought in the past five years with a completely unproven coach while having our worst on field results of our history.

Yes Dooley is gone, supposedly he addressed the team this morning, but no public announcement will be made till after season because they don't want the media bombarding the players with questions about Dooley being fired.
Believe it or not Eric, I am on your side, not trying to be combative at all. The issue for Tennessee is not getting really good talent, it has been with finding Character Kids. I have no idea what the academic standards are at Tennessee, but the amount of societal rejects that have come through the program over the last several years would have me cautious if I were the parent of a recruit.

Also, I know I am a homer, but you have to know that with Spurrier & Richt getting things together, it will be more difficult to come into our back yard to recruit. Just one mans opinion.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Believe it or not Eric, I am on your side, not trying to be combative at all. The issue for Tennessee is not getting really good talent, it has been with finding Character Kids. I have no idea what the academic standards are at Tennessee, but the amount of societal rejects that have come through the program over the last several years would have me cautious if I were the parent of a recruit.

Also, I know I am a homer, but you have to know that with Spurrier & Richt getting things together, it will be more difficult to come into our back yard to recruit. Just one mans opinion.
Totally agree with the character/grade issues.

We are the program where 5 star recruits go to die.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #32
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

GamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPit

Tenn. would be my first choice.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #33
CCtiger91
One of a Kind

Male

CockyCash: 107880
CCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot material

1. Tennessee
2. Auburn
3. Arkansas
Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #34
Erik
Banned

Male

Erik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPit

Quote:
Might want to rethink that.

http://www.utsports.com/view.gal?id=126284

Just built opening in 2013.

Tops in the country.
Nice. Didn't know about those facilities.

We opened our indoor facility last year.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...otball_fa.html

We also upgraded our coaches offices and practice facilities too.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #35
LeeSC
Melvin bowls...overhand.

Male

LeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Totally agree with the character/grade issues.

We are the program where 5 star recruits go to die.

Just seems to happen in cycles.....South Carolina has lost a few of its own.

As far as selection, I would say TN hands down. If UT had ANY semblence of a defense this year they would be dangerous. Auburn and Arky are just trainwrecks right now.
LeeSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #36
Spurman15
4-Star

Male

Spurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his comb

Tennessee. They have the best Facilities out of the three. They have the best Donors out of the three. The program it self recruits best out of the three. Great location and in the SEC East not West, almost promise 2 SEC wins a year, Kentucky and Vandy

"I am not a desert but a SANDSTORM builds within me"
Spurman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #37
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

I hate to say it... But TN. Everything is inplace to recruit and win. AlBarn second... the money is in place to buy the best players. Arkie third, I own a Harley... Enough said
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #38
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think its harder to recruit at UT because they have no instate talent, but Arky is pretty much the same. If you go to Auburn you have to concede that you are going to either be at a distinct dis-advantage to Bama in recruiting or you're going to have to turn your head at massive cheating. Or at least hope that Bama gets caught. Plus of the three mentioned, UT is by far the most prestigious.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #39
Spurman15
4-Star

Male

Spurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I think its harder to recruit at UT because they have no instate talent, but Arky is pretty much the same. If you go to Auburn you have to concede that you are going to either be at a distinct dis-advantage to Bama in recruiting or you're going to have to turn your head at massive cheating. Or at least hope that Bama gets caught. Plus of the three mentioned, UT is by far the most prestigious.
Yeah but what instate recruits you do have will most likely come to UT

"I am not a desert but a SANDSTORM builds within me"
Spurman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #40
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCtiger91 View Post
1. Tennessee
2. Auburn
3. Arkansas
Is that Rodriquez in your Avatar...what a great story on Gameday Sat.