CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
Acockolypse Now
ReadR00ster
jrussjr
b381l
ACPhilson
Regalcock
WeStillOwnUSC
COCKYTALKIN
spareparts
Auburn looks beatabl (3943)
Three young corners (2135)
**official Vandy pre (1849)
Haven't seen one unb (730)
Funny Golf Story Abo (694)
Defense Tackles (564)
Auburn Stealing Sign (550)
Can it get any bette (434)
I used to like bush (261)
Gamecocks Traveling (248)
georgia rewind...
Can it get any better!
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
James Thompson - 6'9"
Auburn looks beatable
uniforms saturday
Boo This Man...
**official Vandy predicti
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Making the Trip to Kentuc

Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material
Default Wofford 8-2

Schedule (ESPN)

Wofford Team & Player Stats

Film of Wofford's last four games

BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 23008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Wofford 8-2

They will test us, for sure. I'm glad we're going to have this test prior to Clemson. It will force our defenders to play assignment football like we will need to do against the taters.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

This may not be the last option team we see this year...for the life of me, I don't understand why we schedule Wofford. I understand that we have to schedule the instate schools...but aren't there others that would be a better opponent since we rarely if ever see an option team?
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 0
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Wofford in the SEC 0-10.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
This may not be the last option team we see this year...for the life of me, I don't understand why we schedule Wofford. I understand that we have to schedule the instate schools...but aren't there others that would be a better opponent since we rarely if ever see an option team?
we saw option teams 3 times last year, didn't we?

I know there was a bit of turnover on D, but I think a lot of them know what to do. Or at least, that's what I'm hoping

stay focus my friends
Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
lakefire
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
lakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via ICQ to lakefire Send a message via AIM to lakefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Wofford in the SEC 0-10.
You don't think they could beat UK?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
We don't have to schedule anyone. Hyman was a cheapskate and it was cheaper to schedule in-state schools. I was a Hyman supporter, but I don't like playing FCS teams.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
mmcox98
benchwarmer

Male

CockyCash: 420
mmcox98 has developed his gaff and talonsmmcox98 has developed his gaff and talonsmmcox98 has developed his gaff and talonsmmcox98 has developed his gaff and talonsmmcox98 has developed his gaff and talonsmmcox98 has developed his gaff and talonsmmcox98 has developed his gaff and talonsmmcox98 has developed his gaff and talonsmmcox98 has developed his gaff and talonsmmcox98 has developed his gaff and talonsmmcox98 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to mmcox98

I think Spurrier likes playing the instate schools too, to help them with money.
mmcox98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcox98 View Post
I think Spurrier likes playing the instate schools too, to help them with money.
Then go with Furman or SC State or Coastal, but not a triple option team like Wofford. Prepping for the triple option and chop blocks the week before Carolina's biggest game of the year makes no sense.
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
uscsec
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 92926
uscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his comb

Not worried at all! Gamecocks roll! 42-10
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 23008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

If we can just get up by a few scores early then Wofford will have to throw the ball, thus ending the game IMO. The key, of course, is to be aggressive early and end it fast.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 200
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

There was this team one time in Michigan that thought a SoCon team would be a pushover and a good tune up too.

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
There was this team one time in Michigan that thought a SoCon team would be a pushover and a good tune up too.
Yes, but the guy that REALLY was the mastermind behind that win runs our front line now.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
We don't have to schedule anyone. Hyman was a cheapskate and it was cheaper to schedule in-state schools. I was a Hyman supporter, but I don't like playing FCS teams.
Spurrier is a big believer in playing an instate FCS school every year. Says it is good for the state and that the big time schools in the state have a responsibility to do it. I have heard him say this directly on a few occasions.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #15
UndercoverCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000000
UndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Didn't they 'admit' to being stoned outta their minds for that game?

Either way- I don't think it's in our interest to EVER be dismissive of an opponent. Let's do what we can to let HBC tie the record- oh HOW SWEET IT WOULD BE TO BREAK THE RECORD IN CLEMSON!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Spurrier is a big believer in playing an instate FCS school every year. Says it is good for the state and that the big time schools in the state have a responsibility to do it. I have heard him say this directly on a few occasions.
I've heard it also and I, for one agree. I do think it just may be the best game possible before clemsux. Assignment football practice for real.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Am I seeing people in this thread that are legitimately worried about playing Wofford?

Wow.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

South Carolina is 18-4 all time versus Wofford.......the 4th and last win the Terriers got off of us, came before 1920 and on their home field in Spartanburg back in the days when there probably wasn't much difference between the programs...

We went a LONG time without playing Wofford: played them in 2008, 2006, 2001.....then 1957.

In 2001, Wofford came in 7th in Divsion I-AA in rushing offense averaging 264.1 ypg..we beat them 38-14, holding them to 207 rushing yds.

In 2006, the Terriers were 2nd in the FCS in rushing with 263.6 ypg, and USC was 75th that season in rushing defense. Starting QB Blake Mitchell was suspended for the game and Syvelle Newton was taking his place behind center for the first time, starting DL Marque Hall was lost for the season to an ACL injury, and starting OL James Thompson and Gurminder Thind were out with injuries. We struggled to a 27-20 win with Wofford driving at the end of the game to tie the score before turning the ball over on an INT. USC played much better in the 1st half going up 24-10, but played poorly in the 2nd half. We allowed 290 rushing yds to the Terriers...

In 2008, Wofford came in ranked 12th in FCS at 2-0, with (at the time) the leading rushing offense in FCS and the 2nd ranked total offense. They would end the season 9-3 and have the #2 rushing offense at 339.7 ypg and #2 total offense at 470.5 ypg. The Gamecocks would have the 43rd ranked rushing defense in FBS holding opponents to 132.7 ypg, and 13th ranked total defense allowing only 291.9 total ypg.

In the 2008 game, USC would win 23-13 and hold the Terriers to 185 rushing ypg and 285 total ypg. Wofford's offense would benefit from a 52-yd pass play off of a busted assignment - which leads to a FG - and a 50-yd TD run on an option keeper by the Terrier QB. Minus those 2 plays, we held Wofford to 183 total offensive yds and 3 points for the game. In 2008, we had one of the worst offenses ever coached by Steve Spurrier, but the game was not as close as the score indicates, IMO...

I've read posts where everyone says Wofford always gives us a scare and how we struggle against Wofford. IMO, we didn't have very good teams or defenses in '06 and '08 when we played them last, while they were among the best at their division. But we still went 2-0 against them. Once again Wofford comes into our game with the #2 rushing offense in the FCS averaging 357.1 ypg. Our rushing defense - and defense as a whole - is much better and deeper than it was in those previous seasons.

Against these type of triple option/wing bone option offenses, we can't look at how we play against them with the eyes that look at conventional offenses. Teams like these will put up 300-400 of rushing yds per game, and be lucky if they put up 50 yds passing. They simply do not pass the ball. So rushing the ball for them IS their total offense. So we can't go in thinking we'll hold them to 50-100 rushing yds for the game, like we might would for a Vandy or a UK or a ECU. Those teams also look to have a more balanced offense.

Expect Wofford to rush for 200+ yds against us. Having said that, we can still easily win this game, and come close to holding the Terriers to half their total offensive output. The Citadel - another option FCS team who is highly ranked in rushing - ran for 241 yds against us last season. They passed for 8. We beat them 41-20. I expect another similar outcome this Saturday....
Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah, good thing the OL coach for that SoCon team is at Carolina now.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
South Carolina is 18-4 all time versus Wofford.......the 4th and last win the Terriers got off of us, came before 1920 and on their home field in Spartanburg back in the days when there probably wasn't much difference between the programs...

We went a LONG time without playing Wofford: played them in 2008, 2006, 2001.....then 1957.

In 2001, Wofford came in 7th in Divsion I-AA in rushing offense averaging 264.1 ypg..we beat them 38-14, holding them to 207 rushing yds.

In 2006, the Terriers were 2nd in the FCS in rushing with 263.6 ypg, and USC was 75th that season in rushing defense. Starting QB Blake Mitchell was suspended for the game and Syvelle Newton was taking his place behind center for the first time, starting DL Marque Hall was lost for the season to an ACL injury, and starting OL James Thompson and Gurminder Thind were out with injuries. We struggled to a 27-20 win with Wofford driving at the end of the game to tie the score before turning the ball over on an INT. USC played much better in the 1st half going up 24-10, but played poorly in the 2nd half. We allowed 290 rushing yds to the Terriers...

In 2008, Wofford came in ranked 12th in FCS at 2-0, with (at the time) the leading rushing offense in FCS and the 2nd ranked total offense. They would end the season 9-3 and have the #2 rushing offense at 339.7 ypg and #2 total offense at 470.5 ypg. The Gamecocks would have the 43rd ranked rushing defense in FBS holding opponents to 132.7 ypg, and 13th ranked total defense allowing only 291.9 total ypg.

In the 2008 game, USC would win 23-13 and hold the Terriers to 185 rushing ypg and 285 total ypg. Wofford's offense would benefit from a 52-yd pass play off of a busted assignment - which leads to a FG - and a 50-yd TD run on an option keeper by the Terrier QB. Minus those 2 plays, we held Wofford to 183 total offensive yds and 3 points for the game. In 2008, we had one of the worst offenses ever coached by Steve Spurrier, but the game was not as close as the score indicates, IMO...

I've read posts where everyone says Wofford always gives us a scare and how we struggle against Wofford. IMO, we didn't have very good teams or defenses in '06 and '08 when we played them last, while they were among the best at their division. But we still went 2-0 against them. Once again Wofford comes into our game with the #2 rushing offense in the FCS averaging 357.1 ypg. Our rushing defense - and defense as a whole - is much better and deeper than it was in those previous seasons.

Against these type of triple option/wing bone option offenses, we can't look at how we play against them with the eyes that look at conventional offenses. Teams like these will put up 300-400 of rushing yds per game, and be lucky if they put up 50 yds passing. They simply do not pass the ball. So rushing the ball for them IS their total offense. So we can't go in thinking we'll hold them to 50-100 rushing yds for the game, like we might would for a Vandy or a UK or a ECU. Those teams also look to have a more balanced offense.

Expect Wofford to rush for 200+ yds against us. Having said that, we can still easily win this game, and come close to holding the Terriers to half their total offensive output. The Citadel - another option FCS team who is highly ranked in rushing - ran for 241 yds against us last season. They passed for 8. We beat them 41-20. I expect another similar outcome this Saturday....
They scored 9 points against Georgia Southern, 17 against Samford, and 16 against Chattanooga. This is going to be a severe beating.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote