CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ericvol2096
l^l^lBGCock
GamecockSuperFan
A. Pilgrim
robgusc76
cocks are us
El Cid Ranger
taylorssc
Master Bedroom
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2549)
Jimbo Fisher Blames (1024)
Herbstreit on " (946)
Ole Miss Fan's Milk- (936)
SEC QB's in the Red (918)
Little know stat (We (872)
Gamecockology Helms (826)
2013 Georgia vs. 201 (674)
Gif Sharing Time!!!! (508)
Where do you like to (430)
Tennessee - South Carolin
We're going to the NCAA T
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
Chances we win out now?
MY 7 STEP PROGRAM TO FIX
This season and recruitin
Halo: Master Chief Collec
Where do you like to sit
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Little know stat (Week 10

Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #41
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Re: In order to be great, you must first become consistently good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Clemson game might decide it. Using my eyes only, I think we were better last year. Anyways, a point didn't make yet, a program doesn't ever really shake that "mediocrity" tag until they actually win that first championship. Because until that happens, people just can see this team as champions. It's a simplistic, maybe lame, psychological thing. But it's true. Other programs are showing recruits their huge trophy cases. And they look at ours, and it's measly. It has an effect.
Well we don't have a trophy. That is a fact. But you either believe in the coaches and what they are doing to get us one or you don't. If you believe in them, then start supporting them because NOTHING in life ever happens without some adversity. Very few things go as planned. The coaches and players are giving it their all to get that trophy.

If you don't believe in the coaches then let Ray Tanner know that we need to make some changes.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #42
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Well I said my thoughts in my original post. Obviously not going to change people's minds so oh well.

Personally, though, I am glad that I choose to enjoy what is going on at SC with the football program instead of seeing it as a "failure." I am disappointed when we lose. I was as sick as anyone after the Florida loss, I can assure you of that. I was sick because we never even gave ourselves a chance. But the difference is that I choose to look at the bigger picture.

I guess the main difference is in the saying "you can't control what happens to you, but you can control how you react to it." None of us could control that disappointing game against Florida. None of us where happy and singing "we are the world" after that game. But I do choose not to come on a message board and trash the team and coaches and call the season a "failure" when the program is improving and anyone with two eyes can see that.

I am glad that I actually got to enjoy what Ray Tanner did with our program and how he built it. When SC finally won it all, I didn't feel like a fair weather fan that said "this program is a failure" until they won it all and then all of a sudden said "Hey, I am a Gamecock baseball fan and we are the best."

Nope, I SUPPORTED them through those years because I believed in what they were doing even when the results didn't bear that out.

ReadRooster, you do realize that it took Ray Tanner well over 8 years to win a National Championship in baseball correct?? Just checking. So was the baseball team a failure in years 8, 9, 10, 11, etc??

ReadRooster, do you believe in what the football coaches are doing at SC??? Do you believe in them?? If so, then you should start supporting them instead of calling everything a failure. If you don't believe in them, then you should start emailing Ray Tanner and asking for a new coach to be hired.
Do I believe in what the coaches are doing? Sure, they're doing a fine job. But they could do better.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #43
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
No, they failed to reach ONE of their goals. You must not listen to Spurrier very much.

Ok, so lets go back to the original point of this thread and the quote by Everette Sands. You said that they "just need to figure out how to win one more game". How do you think that is done?? Isn't that the ENTIRE point of my post and Everette's quote?? It is done by learning how to become consistently good before you become great. That you have to learn to walk before you can run??

Eight years ago, SC had to learn how to beat any game that they were in late in the game. We never pulled out a close game. EVER! Then, we had to learn how to beat UGA, Florida, Clemson. But we started doing those things. Those things started back a few years ago. Were those seasons failures?? Or were they seasons that Coach Spurrier is building upon?? We did go to Atlanta in 2010, but we were also 5-3. We have been 6-2 for the past two seasons. So please don't give me the argument that we are going backwards. That would sound like Clemson fans who think they accomplished something by winning the ACC.
We've been walking plenty, that is my point. So why aren't we running?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #44
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

It stupid to be arguing with what people should be satisfied with. It's a personal opinion. There is no right or wrong answer.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #45
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
so readrooster and clempsux, what do you think we should do then??

Honest question. You can't just "hope for better" if you don't think it is getting done. You think the season is a failure so what would you do that involved ACTION?????? Bitching about it does no good if you don't want change also.

So should we get a new head coach?? Serious question. Because to both of you, Spurrier is completely underachieving with the "talent" on our team. I don't agree with this, but it is obviously your assessment since you feel we are the best team in the East, hands down.

So is it time for a coaching change at the top?? If not, then what actual ACTION would you take?? And don't say playing a different player, because tht is part of the coaching decisions. So if you think a different player should be playing, then you think a different coach should be coaching because he is the one putting that player in the game.
What should WE do? WE should just watch the games? What the coaches and players should do is do their job a litte better so that we can win that championship so we won't be having lame arguments like this.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #46
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Well we don't have a trophy. That is a fact. But you either believe in the coaches and what they are doing to get us one or you don't. If you believe in them, then start supporting them because NOTHING in life ever happens without some adversity. Very few things go as planned. The coaches and players are giving it their all to get that trophy.

If you don't believe in the coaches then let Ray Tanner know that we need to make some changes.
I'll tell him exactly the changes we need to make, win more games. I bet you he is already on it. I don't think you get me. I AM patient. I will wait as long as it takes to get that championship. I don't want to but I will do it, because that is the only thing I am going to be satisfied with. And just because the coaches can't do it a few years in a row when it is certianly within their grasp, it doesn't mean I give up all faith that they will eventually.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #47
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
We've been walking plenty, that is my point. So why aren't we running?
You have to be kidding, right? All I can say is wow.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #48
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
I'll tell him exactly the changes we need to make, win more games. I bet you he is already on it. I don't think you get me. I AM patient. I will wait as long as it takes to get that championship. I don't want to but I will do it, because that is the only thing I am going to be satisfied with. And just because I the coaches can't do it a few years in a row, it doesn't mean I give up all faith that they will eventually.
No, I get you just fine. Your approach is to be miserable as a fan regardless of signs of improvement, etc. until you win the "big one" and then you will be happy. I think that sums it up pretty well. So, in other words, you actually enjoy being a fan about 5% of the time AT THE MOST even if you were a fan of Alabama, etc. The rest of the time, you think your team is a "failure."

I get it perfectly. Good luck with that.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #49
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Do I believe in what the coaches are doing? Sure, they're doing a fine job. But they could do better.
Everyone could be doing better at anything they do in life. Doesn't mean you consider what you have already done a "failure".
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #50
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

CockyCash: 500
Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Everyone could be doing better at anything they do in life. Doesn't mean you consider what you have already done a "failure".
Amen on that and I agree with your original point, maybe just said differently.

I've been following the cocks for 60+ years. If you'd ask me what I'd like to see the program accomplish, it might be stated as "Over each 10 year period, win 9-10 games most years, beat clemsux 6 out of the 10, be able to compete for the SEC east, taking it 3 or 4 times, winning the SEC once or twice".

I think it's reasonable to say that the SEC is tough. If you have a very good team for 10 years straight, they might be able to win the division 3 or 4 times and win the conference, maybe 1 or 2 times. Look at this year, Bama, LSU, Floriduh, Ugly and us had a chance at division and conference title. We've only had a team capable of competing for it the last 2 years. 2010, with 3 losses was an aberration. I'll hold off program judgment until we've been competetive for a 10 year period. Looking at recruiting, weaknesses, etc, it may be 2015 before we're really there.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #51
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

to be a great program you must be consistent that is the rub
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #52
dirtycock
a one man wolfpack

Male

CockyCash: 1946
dirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
I doubt it

some of the "fans'" self-esteem is connected too strongly to the game..

and then some of them are just dumb

Bingo!!! pts. to you!
dirtycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #53
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

red rooster dont waste your time... cofcgamecock wont stop at getting in the last word no matter what you say. its pointless
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #54
usc91ece
Recruit

Male

usc91ece is learning to peck

We have had a team capable of winning the east the last 3 years, and only got 1. So the team has underachieved, but not significantly. They should not have lost that game to Auburn last year and it is very hard to see why they could not get into a game with Florida this year.

Then again, not sure how great losing the SEC championship 3 times in a row would be anyway. I don't follow your comment about a sales rep at all though.
usc91ece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #55
Spurrier Fan
Blue Chip

Male

Spurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his comb

Quote:
I continue to support the team just fine. I was at the Arkansas game and screamed my lungs out. I'll be at the Wofford game. But I am never going to be cool with us not closing the deal this year when I think we were good enough to. I've moved on.
I know what you are saying. Believe me, I watched Florida almost lose at home to Southeastern Louisiana Community College Lafayette, a week after almost losing to Missouri, which was a week after getting beat by the team South Carolina throttled, and I thought THAT is the team that kept them from going to Atlanta??

I feel as well that South Carolina has had the best team in the SEC East for the last 3 seasons, so sure it's dissappointing to miss out on the SECCG for the second season in a row. But unfortunately all things aren't equal. And the scheduling did no favors for South Carolina this season. (where as scheduling was kind to Georgia over the last two seasons) Had South Carolina played Ole Miss a week before Florida instead of a night game at LSU (which Bama had to pull a win out of their ass in those same circumstances) I think the Florida game would have gone much differently. South Carolina would have probably not have gone in after a deflating loss, and probably not so banged up after a tough game. Georgia, LSU, Florida, probably 10+ win teams two of which on the road, in consecutive weeks. That is an brutal gauntlet. I'm more dissappointed in knowing a home loss to a mediocre Auburn team kept them from going back to Atlanta last season. But even then, Georgia needed the benefit of an easier schedule to finish ahead last season.

Before Spurrier got here, just being bowl eligible was the mark of a good season. Spurrier has now raised the bar to where 8 win are the mark of a good season and then you go from there. The pennicle of success in the Holtz Era was a 9 win season. South Carolina is 1 win away from a third consecutive 9 win season. 2 wins away from consecutive 10 win seasons for the first time in school history. 3 wins away from back to back 11 win seasons, which very few programs get to experience.

So yes, it's okay to be dissappointed on missing out on bigger things. But I'm with the OP, be happy in what this program has accomplished in the Spurrier Era, particularly over the last 3 seasons. The fact that now dissappointments are over missing out on big things like division championships is a sign of just how far the program has improved. Before dissappointments were over missing out on bowl games, which still left people dissappointed more often than not.
Spurrier Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #56
U-Dub Gamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

The OP is right... Carolina is in its best era it has ever been, and people continue to bitch. Dont get me wrong, I want to win the SEC, but just because we don't win it, we should consider the season a failure... In 8 seasons, Spurrier has won 7 or more games seven times...and 8 or more games 4 times..which matches our total 8 win seasons in over 100 damn years of football here...
U-Dub Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #57
WoodCocky
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 455
WoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPit

OP started as a good thread - now this thread is a FAIL!!

Since none of you can change anything with our football program, why are so worried about it. Damn life is to short to worry about things you have no control over.

I played at USC and consider myself a great fan. I'm just happy to see us being noticed and in contention with the best of the best. We are now one of the better teams of the SEC and the big teams are takeing notice of us. That to me is better than the championships, even though I still want a NC to throw in UGA and Clemson faces.

#8 in the BCS is no laughing matter and we will probably improve on that in the next couple of weeks.

I AM PROUD TO BE A GAMECOCK!!!!
WoodCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #58
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

way to put people down
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #59
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
You have got to be kidding. What do you do for a living and how much of a success are you in life.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #60
curious1
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
curious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Everette Sands tweeted this today.

I am amazed at how many of you don't get this concept. I read a not so smart post on Cockytalk today that said "you are either a champion or you are nothing" when talking about our team.

What BS.

Some of you guys don't understand how REAL LIFE and REAL SUCCESS works. Do you think that you just wake up one day and all of a sudden you are winning championships?

One of the biggest fallacies in business is the idea of the "overnight success." Those overnight successes have almost always been working their ass of for decades. Especially the ones that last.

This team just went 6-2 in conference for two straight seasons. Before the last two seasons, SC had never even gone 6-2 in conference. We were 5-3 in the year we won the SEC East.

Up until three years ago we couldn't even get our all time winning percentage above .500. We would get there for one game and then lose most of the games at the end of the season and go back to being under .500. We are now 562-545 which is 17 games above .500. That may not seem like much, but it is considering we couldn't get above .500 for over 100 years.

Look, I am not settling for "mediocrity." That is ridiculous. I know that Spurrier's goal is to win the SEC and barring a health issue he will not leave until he has done it. But what I say is that you look at which way the program is headed. You look for improvement. If you see it, then you SUPPORT!!!!!

I would never go to a sales rep that was, at one time, one of the worst reps in the country and tell him that "if you aren't a champion you are nothing" if he was working towards the goal of becoming number 1 and he was showing consistent improvement ever year. If the guy or girl went from being the #80 rep in the country to being the #9 rep in the country, I wouldn't DEMOTIVATE that rep by telling him "well, if you aren't #1, you are nothing." That would be absolutely f!#$@# stupid.

And that is basically what SC has done in the past decade. We have gone from being about the #80 team in the country to being the #9 team in the country.

When we go from being #9 in the country and we start finishing seasons at #20 then I think the "we demand more" crowd has a right to talk. Until then, while our program is still showing signs of improvement each and every year, I think it is ridiculous and definitely doesn't help anything.

You are 100% right as is Coach Sands....each year we have improved and followed suit with being consistent. What SOS did at florida seemed to happen overnight, but he had charley pell and galen hall, who won big games but did not kick down the door until SOS got there. As fans and alumni, I am both I have seen glorious games, uf in SOS' first year, Bama in 2010...uga this year, which makes me appreciate what we have as I have also seen the other side of the mountain, fsu in '88; taters in '89...both embarassing shutouts, furman in '82 and the citadel in '92...we are where we need to be...you need a huge example? Look how auburn went from sugar to s&*t in just 2 years....do we want that? NO.....we are where we need to be...WIN ANYWAY!

JD Clowney says...."I'm PulverizingThat Athlete Yonder!

*last 5 years 155-71=STATE CHAMPS!
curious1 is offline   Reply With Quote