CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
WeStillOwnUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
Yearofthegamecock
TAFC 5 1981
gamecock88
SCohioBoy
Regalcock
Kentucky prediction (2105)
Just Booked my Hotel (1409)
Best position coach (824)
Waldrop doubtful for (810)
The New Idea That'll (713)
So What? (699)
We Have A New KO Guy (573)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (444)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (276)
So What? (272)
Best position coach or co
I'm over the loss, but...
QB Recruiting Strategy
We Have A New KO Guy
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Thoughts on the basketbal
2016 - Rozelle Nix
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
What fish do you eat
Waldrop doubtful for Kent

Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #81
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material
Default Re: In order to be great, you must first become consistently good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
same thing as the past pages.
Can you not understand that it is possible to be both disappointed about the outcome of certain games and still be happy about the season? The only person in this thread saying everyone is miserable because of losses is you putting words in other people's mouths.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #82
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellafever View Post
Consistently good teams don't go from putting a thumping on the #5 team at home, to barely losing to the #9 team on the road (a game which most people expected us to win, which would have been possible had we started better), to getting blown out to the #3 team on the road by making innumerable mistakes in three weeks.

Consistently good teams find ways to win that close game against a team with no offense and find ways to make adjustments at the half. Consistently good teams don't continue to shoot themselves in the foot in the same fashion throughout a game.They would have played that game a lot closer, win or lose.
oh bullshit!!!! i don't care how consistently good you are, playing three top five teams in a row, with two of them on the road in two of the toughest places to play in the nation is enough to trip any team up. and if you don't think consistently good teams have god awful days, just go have a talk with nick saban about bama's game on saturday. some of you guys have expectations with absolutely no logic to them. if you knew anything about college football, you would know that having your first 11 win season in over 100 years of football doesn't automatically qualify you to have the expectations of winning the sec or the national championship the very next year! how many 11 win seasons has uga, va tech, texas, oklahoma, lsu and bama had before they started winning ncg's? ...or even their conferences? winning consistently is the next logical step. when you had a good year at work, did you expect to become the ceo the next year? did it happen? were you disappointed? some of you guys seriously need to take a reality break!
snoopcockycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #83
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I don't have any significant concerns about where we are as a program overall. I've been preaching for years now to people that USC will not be able to recruiting Top 5-10 classes anually despite those 'why not us' folks. I think reasonable expectations year in and year out is 8 wins. If you are a constant COMPETITIVE 8 win team year in and year out in the SEC, you are doing pretty well. Throw in a couple of seasons where you are 'loaded' and compete for conference crowns and double digit wins, and I'm elated.

But where my criticism and concerns lie are in these games where we have so much to play for and we just come out flat and disorganized. Coming out and getting pummeled against Florida is inexcusable. That was game of the year for us with everything on the line and our team didn't even bother to show up. THAT is what frustrates the hell out of me. If we would've played well and Florida makes a crucial play late in the game to win, fine, tip the hat and move on. But to get destroyed like that ... come on.
And we went to the Swamp 2 years ago and kicked ass to win the SEC....there was just as much pressure on us then as there was this year. We are better now than we ever have been. But being able to go on the road and win in the SEC in big games takes team confidence and we haven't done that enough over the years for our teams to have that team confidence.....where Fla, LSU, Ga, and Bama have done that.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #84
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Regarding the florida game: Darn right and they should be criticized for that performance. We don't clap for losers around here anymore. We really haven't played well on the road all year and we better put one together in two weeks or it will be a looooooong offseason.
So if we lost to Fla 21-20 on a last second FG, would you be happy then.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #85
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
did we miss the fg?
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #86
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellafever View Post
Consistently good teams don't go from putting a thumping on the #5 team at home, to barely losing to the #9 team on the road (a game which most people expected us to win, which would have been possible had we started better), to getting blown out to the #3 team on the road by making innumerable mistakes in three weeks.

Consistently good teams find ways to win that close game against a team with no offense and find ways to make adjustments at the half. Consistently good teams don't continue to shoot themselves in the foot in the same fashion throughout a game.They would have played that game a lot closer, win or lose.
You have to be kidding. You guys act like other teams don't ever have brain fart losses.

Lets just look at the best PROGRAM in the country and then look at what you wrote above in relation to the game that team just played.

Alabama had a chance to beat TAMU. In fact, think about that game. Everyone in the country thought they were going to win the game after they completed that long pass that got them deep into TAMU territory. Then, with 1:36 seconds left, Alabama THROWS AN INTERCEPTION!!!!!!! Then, they are going to get the ball back with a chance to win and they can't even get the ball because they get called for OFFSIDES!!!!

I am not trying to speak for you, but I am going to absolutely bet without a shadow of a doubt that if SC had LOST THE EXACT SAME WAY you would be complaining and saying good teams close the deal when they have a chance. That good teams have better coaching and don't get called for offsides when it counts. That good teams don't throw interceptions when the game is on the line.

Well Alabama is as good as they come and that is exactly what they did.

But we aren't event talking about "great' teams. Your quote was about consistently "good" teams. And you said consistently good teams don't play the way we did against Florida. How about UGA against SC????? Then what about Florida vs UGA???? Florida had six turnovers in that game..

Man, some of you just refuse to look around and see what is actually happening out there. You think it "only happens to our team."
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #87
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
You have to be kidding. You guys act like other teams don't ever have brain fart losses.

Lets just look at the best PROGRAM in the country and then look at what you wrote above in relation to the game that team just played.

Alabama had a chance to beat TAMU. In fact, think about that game. Everyone in the country thought they were going to win the game after they completed that long pass that got them deep into TAMU territory. Then, with 1:36 seconds left, Alabama THROWS AN INTERCEPTION!!!!!!! Then, they are going to get the ball back with a chance to win and they can't even get the ball because they get called for OFFSIDES!!!!

I am not trying to speak for you, but I am going to absolutely bet without a shadow of a doubt that if SC had LOST THE EXACT SAME WAY you would be complaining and saying good teams close the deal when they have a chance. That good teams have better coaching and don't get called for offsides when it counts. That good teams don't throw interceptions when the game is on the line.

Well Alabama is as good as they come and that is exactly what they did.

But we aren't event talking about "great' teams. Your quote was about consistently "good" teams. And you said consistently good teams don't play the way we did against Florida. How about UGA against SC????? Then what about Florida vs UGA???? Florida had six turnovers in that game..

Man, some of you just refuse to look around and see what is actually happening out there. You think it "only happens to our team."
the only comparable game to us vs uf would be uga vs uf... the other ones arent even close. yea uf had 6 turnovers but how many put them in the redzone? lol also... uf didnt hold uga under 200 total yards but still get beat like a rented mule.

apples and oranges
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #88
PhoenixGamecock
72ChemE

Male

PhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spurs

I do not know cofcgamecock9, but he right on so many points when it comes to the world of sports and business. Success is built over time by using terms that unfortunately many of our parents lived by and very few of our children understand, terms like accountability, teamwork, ethics, hard work, delayed gratification, respect, and belief. I saw it for the first time when the Cocks beat Alabama, the second time when they pulled together last year after Lattimore's first injury, I think that they went 5-1, when they have given up. These terms, these words to live by, start at the top, where the culture is created, this team could still give up this year, but they won't, because of Spurrier, and now Lattimore, and now Connor Shaw, and DJ Swearinger (sp), and Clowney, and others. They believe in Spurrier, I just hope that he stays around about four more years. That is what it will take to challenge in the BCS. By then we will all believe.
PhoenixGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #89
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGamecock View Post
I do not know cofcgamecock9, but he right on so many points when it comes to the world of sports and business. Success is built over time by using terms that unfortunately many of our parents lived by and very few of our children understand, terms like accountability, teamwork, ethics, hard work, delayed gratification, respect, and belief. I saw it for the first time when the Cocks beat Alabama, the second time when they pulled together last year after Lattimore's first injury, I think that they went 5-1, when they have given up. These terms, these words to live by, start at the top, where the culture is created, this team could still give up this year, but they won't, because of Spurrier, and now Lattimore, and now Connor Shaw, and DJ Swearinger (sp), and Clowney, and others. They believe in Spurrier, I just hope that he stays around about four more years. That is what it will take to challenge in the BCS. By then we will all believe.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Just so you know, I am a business owner that literally started my business from square one. It has taken a ton of hard work, but I have loved every minute of it. I guess starting a business from the absolute bottom at least gave me an appreciation that success doesn't happen without a whole lot of baby steps.

I realize that others have different perceptions and that is fine even if I do get "defensive" at time. Others just have a different frame of reference and I need to appreciate that more.

But what is going on at SC is truly REMARKABLE and I just hate it that some of our fans aren't enjoying it more.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #90
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
the only comparable game to us vs uf would be uga vs uf... the other ones arent even close. yea uf had 6 turnovers but how many put them in the redzone? lol also... uf didnt hold uga under 200 total yards but still get beat like a rented mule.

apples and oranges
Look man, whatever you want to say. Of course no other game is going to be exactly like what happened to SC at UF. But imagine if our game with Florida would have gone EXACTLY like what we did to UGA. You are going to tell me that would have made you feel better??? You wouldn't have been pissed about that too?? Imagine if this had happened..

1. On the first drive, we let Florida score while playing what seemed like almost no defense and UGA's WR was just wide open in the endzone.
2. Then we get the ball and throw an INT on the second play of the game.
3. UF gets the ball back and scores again while we play what seems like is almost no defense. So much so that Kirk Herbstreit says "this is too easy."
4. Then we punt to UF on the very next drive and they return it for a TD.
5. Now we are down 21-0 before the game even started.

So yes, that is DIFFERENT than what happened to us at UF because every game is different. But you would be bitching just as much if that happened and that is exactly what happened to UGA.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #91
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

This thread started off great, made some good points, and sparked thoughtful discussion.

Then it got in a car, drank a 5th of Vodka, and started texting its friends.

Drove right into a tree at 130mph.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #92
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

My post was pointless lol

Last edited by CockLurker; 11-13-2012 at 10:06 PM.
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #93
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post

Yes. Very happy. I would buy a ring.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #94
SouthCGC
Blue Chip

Male

SouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervous

You had me at hello
SouthCGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #95
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I mean personally I would rather dominate our division and state rivals for a decade and never win a national title than to have one brief season of glory. I.e. I would take Spurrier at Florida all day over Urban at Florida. Not everyone would.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #96
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
This thread started off great, made some good points, and sparked thoughtful discussion.

Then it got in a car, drank a 5th of Vodka, and started texting its friends.

Drove right into a tree at 130mph.
that's because, for lack of a more diplomatic term, we have some unappreciative dumbasses on here. i'm not going to point my finger at anyone specifically, but some of the posts on here really make you wonder what world these guys live in.
i take my hat off to cofc for having the patience to continue to try to explain it to them, because i would have killed that noise after about the third ridiculous post. three strikes and i'm out... done... finished...
i also want to take my hat off to phoenix, as his post was also an excellent one. too bad so many have forgotten those words that we use to live by. everything today is immediate self gratification, me over we and what have you done for me lately?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #97
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
I mean personally I would rather dominate our division and state rivals for a decade and never win a national title than to have one brief season of glory. I.e. I would take Spurrier at Florida all day over Urban at Florida. Not everyone would.
i agree for the most part, but once you win a national championship, it is part of your program forever!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #98
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
that's because, for lack of a more diplomatic term, we have some unappreciative dumbasses on here. i'm not going to point my finger at anyone specifically, but some of the posts on here really make you wonder what world these guys live in.
i take my hat off to cofc for having the patience to continue to try to explain it to them, because i would have killed that noise after about the third ridiculous post. three strikes and i'm out... done... finished...
i also want to take my hat off to phoenix, as his post was also an excellent one. too bad so many have forgotten those words that we use to live by. everything today is immediate self gratification, me over we and what have you done for me lately?
Well said.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #99
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
oh bullshit!!!! i don't care how consistently good you are, playing three top five teams in a row, with two of them on the road in two of the toughest places to play in the nation is enough to trip any team up. and if you don't think consistently good teams have god awful days, just go have a talk with nick saban about bama's game on saturday. some of you guys have expectations with absolutely no logic to them. if you knew anything about college football, you would know that having your first 11 win season in over 100 years of football doesn't automatically qualify you to have the expectations of winning the sec or the national championship the very next year! how many 11 win seasons has uga, va tech, texas, oklahoma, lsu and bama had before they started winning ncg's? ...or even their conferences? winning consistently is the next logical step. when you had a good year at work, did you expect to become the ceo the next year? did it happen? were you disappointed? some of you guys seriously need to take a reality break!
Florida is not that good. If we play as bad as we played that game this week, we lose to Wofford. We have to completely get these kinds of Games out of our system. Don't compare that game to Bama's tough lost against a Johnny Football & Co. It's not even close. We've come far but we are still a bridesmaid and we've been ready to be the bride for a long time. Our clock is ticking. If we don't get over the hump soon, we will be come a cat-lady.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #100
d20636
Haven't seen your acid...

Male

CockyCash: 1360
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Florida is not that good. If we play as bad as we played that game this week, we lose to Wofford. We have to completely get these kinds of Games out of our system. Don't compare that game to Bama's tough lost against a Johnny Football & Co. It's not even close. We've come far but we are still a bridesmaid and we've been ready to be the bride for a long time. Our clock is ticking. If we don't get over the hump soon, we will be come a cat-lady.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
-A. Einstein