CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GH
b381l
Spurticus
Mt. Lattimore
petecock
jrussjr
RGHoskins
bigdog2003
ConwayGamecock
PageUSC
1st practice tonight (2046)
I'm in the Atlanta a (1196)
We don't have a prac (827)
Malcolm Mitchell (kn (810)
Cockytalk Fall Pract (727)
Could we see 3 QBs o (677)
Donell Stanley injur (577)
weather in columbia (482)
Overrated and Underr (436)
Copperheads (348)
Dustin Johnson taking a l
Auburn Loses Guard for Se
Cockytalk Fall Practice R
Mike Davis Hamstring
2014 Signee - Joe Blue
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Paul George Seriously Inj
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Official SEC Network and

Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #61
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material
Default Re: FSU Coach Fisher Blasts the BCS

the problem is people pick and choose only the criteria they like and then skew things to try and make their point seem better. making generalized statements about a team beating 5 ranked teams without telling you if its ranked at the time or ranked at the end of the regular season. or how close were those wins, how close was the loss, who was the loss to. personally i dont like blindy quoting a sos ranking without looking at the schedule myself.

at the end of the regular season last year alabama and oklahoma state both played 7 bcs conference teams that finished the regular season .500 or better, both having 6 wins over them. oklahoma state had blowout wins over baylor and oklahoma and a 7 pt victory over kansas st as their big quality wins. problem is baylor got blown out by texas a&m the game before they played oklahoma state and landy jones looked lost after ryan broyles went down, throwing 5 int and 0 td over his last 3 games.

give me the team with the better resume any day because theyve earned it on the field by having the better season. the team that wins the so called eye test or supposedly has more talent on paper a lot of the time is media hype most of the team driven by the super explosive unstoppable offense. those super offenses havent fared well in the bcs title games if they played weak schedules and/or if they didnt have the defense to go with it.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #62
wthforever
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
wthforever is learning to peck

Agree with earlier poster, Jimbo should blame the ACC Commissioner. And ACC fans should quit saying "hey we have no choice, we have to play who's on our schedule, the conference teams". You did have a choice. The Commissioner and the ACC schools had a choice and an opportunity to bring in some powerhouse football schools last summer and who do they bring to the ACC, Syracuse and Pitt. They want the ACC to remain a basketball conference and pray every year that one football team goes undefeated in a weak conference and lucks into the NC game.
wthforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #63
CockyMBA
Recruit

Male

CockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his claws

I think the bottom line is...win your damn games. Then variables (i.e. SOS, who you lost to, etc.) won't matter.

Bottom line, if Okla St had won all their games last year, they would have been in the NCG. If FSU had won all there games this year, they would probably be no lower than #3 right now...with games against UF & the ACCCG to improve on/solidify their ranking.

If you play in a BCS conference AND go undefeated, it's hard to argue against giving you a shot. When you lose (particularly to a lower ranked/underdog team who struggles to reach .500)_ STFU
CockyMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #64
Bob the Builder
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Bob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his comb

Quote:
Bob. I like you.

You're a simple man, but I like you.
Thanks, if you are ever in the upstate (Greenville/Clemson) we should grab a beer. I will even meet you at the Rendezvous.

I must say I am quite happy and understanding of the Clemson situation. Yeah our SOS is terrible any way you measure it. We try to schedule good teams out of conference but it is hard to tell those things 5 years ahead of time. Clemson has not really played anyone close in weeks which is usually the sign of a good football team (al la Oregon, and no we are not on that level so do not accuse me of comparing Clemson directly to them). This Clemson team is sort of in a rebuilding year, building up to next year where we could start in the top 5 and have chances to prove our strength against UGA, SC, and FSU. Clemson does have a chance to win 11 games and go to a BCS game which would be one of the 10 best season's in school history (would put our game with you guys at a coin flip). I have said this before and I will say it again, SC is 1-2 against teams that matter, Clemson is 0-1. There is no great solution for this program. We are still very profitable, have a great fan base that supports this team in the stadium and with their contributions, and should be set up to have a VT run in us with as poor as the ACC is right now. The ACC will probably end up $8-10 million a year behind the SEC per team (unless if ND joins full time) but it seems to be very stable with the massive buyout and the fact we will be getting our share in the playoff. We do have among the best facilities out there, rivaling the majority of the SEC and have proven the ability to recruit with the best out there which kind of negates monetary advantages since players cannot be paid. If the phone ever rings and Slive is on the other end we will jump at the chance but no one is holding their breath over it. If we ever go undefeated will will have our chance at the playoffs which is kind of all that matters.

On a separate note, I still cannot for the life of me figure out why Missouri was taken over WVU. That has been such a weird fit this year.
Bob the Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #65
SwimCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

SwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPit

Every year, Clemsux claims that they are in a rebuilding mode of some sort and that you have played an inordinate amount of FR.
SwimCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #66
Bob the Builder
Banned

Male

Bob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his combBob the Builder is developing his comb

Quote:
Every year, Clemsux claims that they are in a rebuilding mode of some sort and that you have played an inordinate amount of FR.
2008 was the most talented Clemson team in my lifetime and blew it hard
2009 was not, with a ton of talent but not a lot of coaching
2010 was and it really showed on the field
2011 was a total surprise but we lost a ton on the already weak defensive side of the ball
2012 this has been sort of a rebuilding year as Venebles has had very little to work with on defense and it has shown a ton of improvement
2013 is our year to do great things assuming everyone does not go pro early

Don't forget it took Spurrier 5 years to clean up the mess that Holtz left him. This is Dabo's 5th season and he seems to be well ahead of where I thought he would be.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #67
CockyMBA
Recruit

Male

CockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Builder View Post
On a separate note, I still cannot for the life of me figure out why Missouri was taken over WVU. That has been such a weird fit this year.
State Population
West Va = 1,855,364
Missouri = 6,010,688

Basically eyeballs. Mizzou adds 3Xs the amount of eyes to the footprint (including two Top 30 TV markets in Kansas City & St. Louis). Plus Mizzou is academically better. It's AAU status and a damn good basketball team. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd best in the conference in year 1. And, though its a bit NORTH, it still shares a border with Arky, Kentucky & Tenn. W Va only borders Ky. Though football is the breadwinner in the conference (and Mizzou is having a tough time in conference), they make sense in every other variable.
CockyMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #68
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Mizzou is a better fit culturally too.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #69
phdnumbaone
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 572
phdnumbaone has earned his spursphdnumbaone has earned his spursphdnumbaone has earned his spursphdnumbaone has earned his spursphdnumbaone has earned his spursphdnumbaone has earned his spurs

Quote:
2008 was the most talented Clemson team in my lifetime and blew it hard
2009 was not, with a ton of talent but not a lot of coaching
2010 was and it really showed on the field
2011 was a total surprise but we lost a ton on the already weak defensive side of the ball
2012 this has been sort of a rebuilding year as Venebles has had very little to work with on defense and it has shown a ton of improvement
2013 is our year to do great things assuming everyone does not go pro early

Don't forget it took Spurrier 5 years to clean up the mess that Holtz left him. This is Dabo's 5th season and he seems to be well ahead of where I thought he would be.
Wasn't clemson's class 2-3 yrs ago filled with highly rated players? Tony Stewart, stephon Anthony, and a bunch of 4 stars defensive players. They should be in about their Rfres or sophomore yr now, no? Venebles did have a lot to work with
phdnumbaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #70
Bob the Builder
Banned

Male

Quote:
Wasn't clemson's class 2-3 yrs ago filled with highly rated players? Tony Stewart, stephon Anthony, and a bunch of 4 stars defensive players. They should be in about their Rfres or sophomore yr now, no? Venebles did have a lot to work with
Yeah the 2011 was but they are all RS Fresh and Sophomores right now. A lot of those guys are contributing (Watkins, Crawford, Bryant, etc.) are contributing. They are still young though. Looking at rosters nationally, you rarely see lots of freshman starting on the defensive side of the ball as they take a lot of time to grown and learn systems.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #71
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Thanks, if you are ever in the upstate (Greenville/Clemson) we should grab a beer. I will even meet you at the Rendezvous.

I must say I am quite happy and understanding of the Clemson situation. Yeah our SOS is terrible any way you measure it. We try to schedule good teams out of conference but it is hard to tell those things 5 years ahead of time. Clemson has not really played anyone close in weeks which is usually the sign of a good football team (al la Oregon, and no we are not on that level so do not accuse me of comparing Clemson directly to them). This Clemson team is sort of in a rebuilding year, building up to next year where we could start in the top 5 and have chances to prove our strength against UGA, SC, and FSU. Clemson does have a chance to win 11 games and go to a BCS game which would be one of the 10 best season's in school history (would put our game with you guys at a coin flip). I have said this before and I will say it again, SC is 1-2 against teams that matter, Clemson is 0-1. There is no great solution for this program. We are still very profitable, have a great fan base that supports this team in the stadium and with their contributions, and should be set up to have a VT run in us with as poor as the ACC is right now. The ACC will probably end up $8-10 million a year behind the SEC per team (unless if ND joins full time) but it seems to be very stable with the massive buyout and the fact we will be getting our share in the playoff. We do have among the best facilities out there, rivaling the majority of the SEC and have proven the ability to recruit with the best out there which kind of negates monetary advantages since players cannot be paid. If the phone ever rings and Slive is on the other end we will jump at the chance but no one is holding their breath over it. If we ever go undefeated will will have our chance at the playoffs which is kind of all that matters.

You still won't have an offensive line. Your defensive line will also lack any real pass rush.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #72
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

The BCS is far better than what we once had. Back in the days prior to the BCS you may get

Orange #1 Miami vs #5 Oklahoma
Sugar #2 Alabama vs #4 Penn State
Cotton #3 Texas vs #8 Tennessee
Rose #4 Michigan vs #7 Southern Cal

Then you wouldn't know who the NC was until the next morning. In my scenario above had Miami won then you would know they would be NC, but had they lost then anything was possible .
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #73
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
FSU Coach Jimbo Fisher blasted the BCS, saying that the computer rankings are ruining everything. Coach Fisher requested a return to the "eye test", where the champion is picked by human voters at the end of the year, not by play.

FSU (9-1) is currently sitting behind three straight 2 loss SEC teams in the BCS standings.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...pre-bcs-system
FSU lost to NC State. A team that was thumped by one of the worst teams in the SEC. There is your problem Jimbo. Take care of business on the field. Lost to a team with losses to UVA, Miami, NC, and UT.