CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
ConwayGamecock
sporkgod50
jrussjr
RGHoskins
CaptainCock91
MisterClowney
Billy Berue
Cockypantherfan
CockyandProud
Anyone heard anythin (2945)
Musburger/Palmer to (1338)
Shaq R. (1193)
Dustin Johnson takin (1144)
I'm in the Atlanta a (785)
Kewl video (753)
Malcolm Mitchell (kn (679)
Film Room: Can Victo (437)
weather in columbia (403)
Overrated and Underr (316)
Kewl video
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
1st practice tonight
Re-Airing South Carolina
2014 Signee - Joe Blue
We don't have a practice
Dustin Johnson taking a l
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw
2014 Preseason USA Today/
Lebron James Going to Cav

Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #41
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clowney's Sack on Wilson....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEmmrich View Post
If he had handed the ball off to the RB, he would have gotten 10+ yards (maybe). Devin was caught outside and a blocker was getting the LB(?).
Ummm doubtful- Clowney was moving in to tackle him and then read the play beautifully and broke back to the QB. Clowney could have definitely tackled the RB for a loss or no gain still had he continued to pursue the RB.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #42
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebackerCock View Post
Actually he is not supposed to....his job, on that play is to sell the run right with the idea that the DE will crash the play (biting on the fake to the RB). This is supposed to open it up for the QB to keep left but nobody expects a DE to be able to actually start crashing in and then turn on a dime and just swallow your QB. There are VERY FEW DE that will ever pull that off. Clowney is just Clowney.
Yeah I realize that, but I don't believe this is a good playcall vs a manimal like Clowney. Maybe run that towards Devin Taylor's side as you may have a better chance. You should never leave Clowney unblocked or things like this will happen.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #43
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
8.5........5 shy of tying the all-time single season record, held by many (Norwood and Ingram being the most recent)...
Just want to clarify some incorrect information floating around in this thread and apparently, on ESPN.

The Single Season record for sacks is 10. Andrew Provence and Melvin Ingram share that record. Eric Norwood only had 9 in a single season.

According to ESPN, Clowney has 9.5 sacks. According to GamecocksOnline, he has 8.5 sacks. The video in the original post was scored as a Tackle for Loss, not a sack. ESPN counted it as a sack, I assume, because GamecocksOnline shows 0 sacks for Clowney against Arkansas.

Other outlets, like Sports Illustrated, counted the tackle against Wilson as a sack. Who is right and correct with sack total?

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #44
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Its 9.5
Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #45
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

They announced it in the stadium as a sack too
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #46
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHONGILMOREFAN! View Post
They announced it in the stadium as a sack too
The official stats do not show it as a sack. You can't take what an announcer says for fact. They are just that...an announcer.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #47
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Clowney has 9.5 sacks. He had 7.5 after Florida. He had one against Tennessee and one against Arkansas. 7.5 + 1 + 1 = 9.5

Follow Gamecockology on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
MisterClowney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #48
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAlmighty View Post
Clowney has 9.5 sacks. He had 7.5 after Florida. He had one against Tennessee and one against Arkansas. 7.5 + 1 + 1 = 9.5
Did you not read what I wrote?

The official stat sheet DID NOT RECORD THE TACKLE ON WILSON AS A SACK. It was recorded as a Tackle for Loss and in all publications for this weekends game, the statistics for game and season, and press releases are showing him with 8.5 sacks.

Not trying to be a dick, but it is frustrating to explain myself with references and have two people just come in with "he has 9.5" as fact without addressing the issues I listed. I am not saying you are wrong...but how can we know what is right when someone like ESPN/SI says one thing and our official score sheet with GamecocksOnline shows another?

Old 11-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #49
SFCocking
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
SFCocking has earned his spursSFCocking has earned his spursSFCocking has earned his spursSFCocking has earned his spursSFCocking has earned his spursSFCocking has earned his spurs

From Wikipedia: "a sack occurs when the quarterback is tackled behind the line of scrimmage before he can throw a forward pass, or when the quarterback is tackled behind the line of scrimmage in the "pocket" and the intent of what he was going to do is unclear."

Sounds like it could go either way. It looks to be a zone read but Tyler Wilson was still in the pocket and could have been rolling out to throw the ball. Clowney didn't give Wilson enough time after the fake handoff to do anything.

From various sources Clowney's sack total for the year: ESPN 9.5, CBSsports 9.5, cfbstats.com 9.5, Gamecocksonline 8.5, NCAA.org 8

Painted on the stadium, Eric Norwood's career sack record is shown as 29. Various sources: Gamecocksonline 29, ESPN 29, NCAA.org 26

As far as I can tell, we don't use NCAA.org's stats, we use either Gamecocksonline or ESPN. They're in disagreement this year so Clowney has either 9.5 or 8.5. We'll probably have to wait and see at the end of the season.
SFCocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #50
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Guys, don't worry about it. That's why they list both "sacks" and TFL's in the stats. I don't care what they call it, I just want to see JD#7 destroy opposing players...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #51
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Nice play but his best play of the year was the sack of Tyler Bray.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #52
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Guys, don't worry about it. That's why they list both "sacks" and TFL's in the stats. I don't care what they call it, I just want to see JD#7 destroy opposing players...
Yeah, no big deal. Just a school record we are talking about, who cares how accurate it is?

Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #53
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Yeah, no big deal. Just a school record we are talking about, who cares how accurate it is?
He's got 3 games. He'll get it. No stress.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #54
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Nice play but his best play of the year was the sack of Tyler Bray.
I stand corrected.

Serious question tho, if he fumbled the ball before he went down, is it recorded as a sack, a forced fumble or both? You can't tackle someone if they don't have the ball.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #55
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Wilson was doing exactly what shaw does in the zone read.... when shaw gets tackled trying to run... its a TFL. Im with ya ColaCock. When i saw the title of the Youtube Vid and then Clowney tackle him... my first thought was "thats not a sack"
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #56
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Serious question tho, if he fumbled the ball before he went down, is it recorded as a sack, a forced fumble or both? You can't tackle someone if they don't have the ball.
Forced fumble is just an extra statistic, so a sack is also recorded (or tackle) whenever a fumble occurs.

You could get credit for a forced fumble, sack, tackle, fumble recovery, and TD all on the same play.

FYI, you get credit for a tackle as well as a sack whenever you take down the QB.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #57
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

I thought his best MOVE in the game came on Arkansas' first TD, actually. He puts a swim move on the O lineman that is unlike anything I've ever seen. It looked like the tackle didn't even know he had gone by. Wilson got the ball off literally a half second before clowney would've destroyed him and broken up the play. But the move itself was phenomenal.

His best sack was the bray sack, considering UT's OLine, the situation of the game, the athleticism, etc. I just love watching him play.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #58
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I'm going to have to disagree with that. They didn't bother to block him one bit. There was one he had against Missouri that stands out in my head.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote