CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
Cocks N Stuff
johnnyb
El Cid Ranger
So Disappointed With (1910)
Rank the QBs under S (1418)
Back like cooked cra (1002)
Tennessee game (664)
Who start on the d l (626)
No Comments on the H (480)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
Squats (356)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (172)
Why I think we beat Aubur
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
So Disappointed With The
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Rank the QBs under Spurri
7 on 7 flag football bloc
Thoughts on the basketbal
Back like cooked crack
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE

Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #101
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: In order to be great, you must first become consistently good..

I don't believe that USC will fall back to 6-6 seasons when Spurrier leaves. I think the program is on a firm enough foundation that it will win 7+ games a year going forward. Sure, they'll have a year where they go .500 or sub .500 one year (almost every one does) but I think the program will be able to bounce back from something like that.

It'll take severe NCAA sanctions or an absolute pathetic coaching hire to wreck this program.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #102
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Look man, whatever you want to say. Of course no other game is going to be exactly like what happened to SC at UF. But imagine if our game with Florida would have gone EXACTLY like what we did to UGA. You are going to tell me that would have made you feel better??? You wouldn't have been pissed about that too?? Imagine if this had happened..

1. On the first drive, we let Florida score while playing what seemed like almost no defense and UGA's WR was just wide open in the endzone.
2. Then we get the ball and throw an INT on the second play of the game.
3. UF gets the ball back and scores again while we play what seems like is almost no defense. So much so that Kirk Herbstreit says "this is too easy."
4. Then we punt to UF on the very next drive and they return it for a TD.
5. Now we are down 21-0 before the game even started.

So yes, that is DIFFERENT than what happened to us at UF because every game is different. But you would be bitching just as much if that happened and that is exactly what happened to UGA.
UGA didnt give us the ball in the redzone 3 or 4 times... i cant remember cause i drank so much after that game. Thats what makes the UF game so unbearable. We punched UGA in the mouth and they couldnt respond. I still think UF would have beat us but the score and how it happened was the worst part. They had so much confidence going into that game and were on a roll IN the Swamp
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #103
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I don't believe that USC will fall back to 6-6 seasons when Spurrier leaves. I think the program is on a firm enough foundation that it will win 7+ games a year going forward. Sure, they'll have a year where they go .500 or sub .500 one year (almost every one does) but I think the program will be able to bounce back from something like that.

It'll take severe NCAA sanctions or an absolute pathetic coaching hire to wreck this program.
Georgia will always be Georgia. But Dooley will most certainly be gone from UT, this year, so there's a possibility that a solid hire will raise that program up again. Add to that Muschamp rebuilding a Florida program and the East is going to get a HELL of a lot tougher.

We had the oppurtunity to strike while the East was relatively weak, and we didn't.
BuCockyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #104
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post
We had the oppurtunity to strike while the East was relatively weak, and we didn't.
I can agree with this a little bit and I'll especially agree with it if USC doesn't break through next year.

But I don't think USC is just going to go back to being mediocre because UF and UT got strong again.

The blueprint for success has been laid out as far as recruiting good players. Make great camp evaluations. Recruit well in state, recruit Charlotte, recruit Atlanta. That is the core talent base right there. Then use the coaching staff connections and go mine Florida and places like New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania for a few players every year.

It'll take a complete idiot to screw this up.

In fact, if the next coach follows suit but is able to provide a boost to the offensive side of the ball .. He could have huge success here.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #105
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Jesus man, don't tempt them, remember, we hired Brad Scott!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #106
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

I know the type of response this will get but was Brad Scott really that bad of a hire when he was brought on? I'm saying not knowing what we know now but at the time given the state of where the program was and the opportunity to get an OC from a national championship program that ran an innovative offense seems like a no brainer to me. And really that first, what, year USC had a dynamite offense. From what I have been told by people that follow USC for years, Scott's demise started when Ricky Bustle went to Virginia Tech because then Brad wanted to switch to a running team out of the I formation.

I guess that doesn't make any sense, but my point was that USC just got a bad break IMO. The OC after him at FSU, ended up a Georgia and he is doing pretty well now.

Anyway, I agree with your post .. a hire that ends up with brad scott results would be detrimental..

Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #107
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post
Georgia will always be Georgia. But Dooley will most certainly be gone from UT, this year, so there's a possibility that a solid hire will raise that program up again. Add to that Muschamp rebuilding a Florida program and the East is going to get a HELL of a lot tougher.

Most years, the East IS tough. Nothing new here, except that now, we ARE in the discussion. We need to get used to it, cause it will stay that way.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #108
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
Most years, the East IS tough. Nothing new here, except that now, we ARE in the discussion. We need to get used to it, cause it will stay that way.
Nice. Great Post!!!! Some people just have to find something to be negative about.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #109
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I can agree with this a little bit and I'll especially agree with it if USC doesn't break through next year.

But I don't think USC is just going to go back to being mediocre because UF and UT got strong again.

The blueprint for success has been laid out as far as recruiting good players. Make great camp evaluations. Recruit well in state, recruit Charlotte, recruit Atlanta. That is the core talent base right there. Then use the coaching staff connections and go mine Florida and places like New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania for a few players every year.

In fact, if the next coach follows suit but is able to provide a boost to the offensive side of the ball .. He could have huge success here.

Yeah give me Gus Malzahn as HC and OC and give me Whammy as assistant head coach/defensve coordinator and I'll roll.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #110
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I don't want Gus unless he has another player the calibre (but not the ethics) of Cam in the wings. I guess most of us are starting to sound like uga fans, thinking we should win a NC every year and pissed when we don't. I never expected a NC here at USC. I've lived through some really bad teams and the thought of a consistently good team sounds great to me. Beating the taters every year, beating uga pretty consistently and at least playing for a chance to win the East and possibly the SEC sounds pretty good. And if you can do these things you never know when a uga style horseshoe will pop out of your ass and you might get a shot at a NC. But if you aren't consistently good, you will never get that shot.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #111
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

NM. Check gus out. His offense wasn't too bad by the end of last season either, with that QB who freaking quit football with a year left after gus bailed. You gotta' remember he was carrying jizzicks bottom of the league defense the whole time. Also go back and check r-kansas's offensive production before and after he came. Nutt was toast like a year after he bailed and so is the chiz. I do think we need to focus on maintaining a strong defensive philosophy. The years we've had success under LOU and Spurrier we've been strong on defense. I dunno if it is because there seems to be a dearth of QBs or sophisticated offenses in SC but plenty of athletes who can hit somebody or what.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #112
WoodCocky
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 455
WoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPit

Quote:

It could very well happen. You see it all the time.

I just hope that Tanner makes sure that Spurrier is a part of selecting the guy that takes over this program. If that happens Spurrier will allows be a part of our program. It would also the new guy someone to he can pick up the phone a call when it times get tough and they will during the transition phase between HC's.

Remember Lou helped us get Spurrier and we know how that has turned out thus far, just think if you are selected by Spurrier to be his successor and that amount of prestige that would be. Hate to screw up what Spurrier built if he actually thought you were the best to take over from him. We wouldn't get some idiot that would want to change everything to "fit" his system.
WoodCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #113
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by d20636 View Post
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
-A. Einstein
classic!!!!!! but will rr get the message?
snoopcockycock is offline   Reply With Quote