CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Garnetnblack99
kingoftheroost
CockyLifer
ZenUSC
Gamecocks1137
peterlemon
b381l
Regalcock
ktguen
Cockhornleghorn
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (2429)
Morris to SMU (1292)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1062)
Carolina on a Walmar (510)
Game simulation (448)
Happy Thanksgiving C (324)
Penniless: Creed's S (304)
Strategy First Steam (228)
Chad Morris new HC a (152)
Origin Sale Too (95)
Texans getting frustrated
Carolina on a Walmart com
Morris to SMU
BIG PROBLEM! JUST REALIZE
Constant Updates on Watso
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Palmetto Bowl
Game simulation
Comparing Results Of Comm
Chad Morris new HC at SMU

Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit
Default Spurrier To Tie USC All-Time Wins Mark

A win over Wofford on Saturday, SOS will tie Coach Rex Enright’s all-time wins record of 64 at USC.

With the opportunity for Carolina to beat Clemson 4 straight years coming up next week…

How ironic would it be for Spurrier to break the late Coach Enright’s record against Clemson, with Enright being the last (and only) USC coach to beat the Taters 4 years in a row?

Plus, you know SOS wants to beat Dabo to get the record, especially after Dabo’s “there’s only one real USC” comments referring to SoCal earlier this season. Throw in 2011’s post beatdown remarks of “the university in this state always has been, always will be Clemson”…going to be interesting to see which team comes out with a chip on their shoulder.

Can’t wait for the next chapter in this rivalry…

GO COCKS!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Spurrier Fan
Blue Chip

Male

Spurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his comb
Default Re: Spurrier To Tie USC All-Time Wins Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
A win over Wofford on Saturday, SOS will tie Coach Rex Enright’s all-time wins record of 64 at USC.

With the opportunity for Carolina to beat Clemson 4 straight years coming up next week…

How ironic would it be for Spurrier to break the late Coach Enright’s record against Clemson, with Enright being the last (and only) USC coach to beat the Taters 4 years in a row?

That would be great if he could set a record 65th win while beating Clemson a school tieing record 4th consectutive time, while recording just the 3rd 10 win season in school history, and first consecutive 10 win seasons. As much as he loves doing things that have never been done before, he would be giddy after the game.

With Wofford, other than tieing Enright's record with a win (which he will be able to do in 7 fewer season's than Enright), other records or streaks of note at play are:

- a school record 3rd straight 9 win season
- finish undefeated at home for the first time since 1984
- equal the 1984 team with most home wins in a season at 7
Spurrier Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his comb

Spurrier has changed the culture at South Carolina... PERMANENTLY!!

Is football season here yet???
Cockyhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Thanks for posting...that gets me even more excited. You better believe the HBC knows those stats/numbers and will be glad to talk about them after the big W!

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

no chance in hell we lose the next 2 games

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

While SOS will break the record in far fewer seasons than Enright, there are more games each season now. Use to be only 10 games a year and we hardly ever went to a bow game. Now we play 12 a year and if fortunate, can play as many as 14 a year (SEC Championship and bowl game). Enright began at Carolina in 1938 and excepting some time away during WWII, coached until 1955. Recall that the ACC wasn't founded until 1953.

Offsetting that, however, is that the level of competition has grown far tougher than we have ever known, but we did play pretty solid schedules while Independent.

It was always neat for me to have been born in 1954, the last year we won in our longest winnng sreak over Clempson, but have always wanted that streak far extended in the present day. What few remember is that there was a tie in 1950 and Carolina won in 1949, so there was a stretch of 6 years without a Clempson win. Now that is another record SOS can shoot for and surpass, but first things first. Lock up #4.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit

Wonder if our PA announcer will mention the all-time wins record being tied at the end of Wofford game?

Seems fitting that Tanner would want there to be at least some recognition of the mark and other 1st time records that were mentioned earlier in the thread.

The stadium will be 1/2 empty by the end of the Wofford game (which SOS has voiced his opinion on), but Spurrier deserves a standing ovation for what he and the program have accomplished during his tenure.

GO COCKS!!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

I hope someone mentions this during this week's press conference or Carolina Calls.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

this empty stadium thing is rediculous. No reason to be flocking out early on a beautiful day when SOS can tie the coaching record and its not like you have to rush home to get in the bed. apparently people dont mind paying $60 to watch a half of football.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Saturday is also Senior Day and this group of seniors has the most wins of any group of seniors in USC history.

A lot of reasons to be at the game on Saturday.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

I am going to be telling my unborn kids about watch SOS in consecutive weeks match and break the All-Time Wins mark. I will snap some pictures of the head ball coach so that they can see my view on these upcoming days. That is history folks. People can be disappointed and uninterested in the Gamecocks right now if they want but I thank God for allowing me to be alive during the greatest years in Gamecock history so far. I worry about our window closing but I don't lose sight that we are in our window for winning and SEC title (and National Title...yes, I believe that is attainable with the talent and coaches we have). Such talk is not premature nor is it fantasy talk...these are realistic goals...and I worry each year when that we won't quite live up to our potential...but I am glad we now, more than any time in program history (save maybe 1984), have that potential...so far we have come up short as far as SEC titles and NC games...and each opportunity that is los is an opportunity we will never get back...but I am pleased as punch that we have those opportunities...that we are in the conversation now...that we are winning consistently and have a sustainable level of success and respectability now...that we are no longer seemingly placing politics or bureacratic posturing in the athletics department over the common sense of building towards the summit that every top program aspires to....that we have been ranked for 42 (or 43) consecutive weeks and have been in the top-15 of the polls all season long...We have never experienced such success over such a susteained period of time and the structure in place makes me feel good that we are not going to rest on our laurels and think "well, this is good enough for now"...thank you to Spurrier, thank you to Hyman, thank you to the BOT that are making changes and finding ways to improve facilities and get personnel in here that know what right and what success looks like over the greed of their own finances and ego.

Go Cocks...Spurs Up...To the Top...Go...Fight...Win...Kick Ass

Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Carolina_Harv
Displaced and Disgruntled

Male

CockyCash: 10088029
Carolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot material

Its funny you mention the ranking thing GH b/c alot of our fans don't act like we have had that kind of success all year long.......Being in the top 15 all year long has that been done before in school history? Anybody know?

**The poster formally known as CarolinaCockStar
**SIG created by cack
Carolina_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

good question
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I love the fact that Spurrier could achieve so many firsts and records by beating Clemson again this year.

The fact is, Spurrier coaches better, and motivates the team better, when they have something to play for. That's a fact. Check our bowl results and you'll see what I'm talking about.

What I mean by all this is that based on all these records and stats, I don't see us coming out flat, I expect SOS to be as motivated as he was in the Nebraska game last year.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Harv View Post
Its funny you mention the ranking thing GH b/c alot of our fans don't act like we have had that kind of success all year long.......Being in the top 15 all year long has that been done before in school history? Anybody know?
I don't think so.....but not 100%.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #16
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
While SOS will break the record in far fewer seasons than Enright, there are more games each season now. Use to be only 10 games a year and we hardly ever went to a bow game. Now we play 12 a year and if fortunate, can play as many as 14 a year (SEC Championship and bowl game). Enright began at Carolina in 1938 and excepting some time away during WWII, coached until 1955. Recall that the ACC wasn't founded until 1953.

Offsetting that, however, is that the level of competition has grown far tougher than we have ever known, but we did play pretty solid schedules while Independent.

It was always neat for me to have been born in 1954, the last year we won in our longest winnng sreak over Clempson, but have always wanted that streak far extended in the present day. What few remember is that there was a tie in 1950 and Carolina won in 1949, so there was a stretch of 6 years without a Clempson win. Now that is another record SOS can shoot for and surpass, but first things first. Lock up #4.
Enright had something like 30-40 more losses than Spurrier has so far. The win % isn't even close
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
CockyInSeattle
4-Star

Male

CockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPit

Spurrier would also be the only coach other than Bear Bryant, to hold the most wins record at two SEC schools.

Bryant holds the record at Kentucky and Alabama.

Spurrier currently hold that record at Florida.
CockyInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote