CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
sanford
Rooster'srule
StormOfTalons
cocksmith1or11
Acockolypse Now
El Cid Ranger
Master Bedroom
markymark550
ktguen
Backup QB competitio (2460)
2014 Preseason USA T (1196)
Ranking the SEC Fema (730)
Future Non-Conferenc (581)
Clowney's Madden Rat (569)
Anyone heard anythin (491)
Daily Dose of Food P (405)
Spurrier on the cove (345)
What Would You Do? (326)
Ranking the SEC scho (226)
Shaq R.
Anyone heard anything abo
Dustin Johnson taking a l
Tupelo Honey Cafe
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
New Reserved Sections for
Fall Camp--weather altern
Shaw Interview: SB Nation
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2014-15 Premier League se

Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material
Default ESPN - Lack of Integrity?

Interesting read. I thought I'd share this link to start a discussion on what everyone thinks of ESPN.

Here is a portion of the article:

Quote:
A story we've closely followed over the last year and a half has been what's happened to journalism at ESPN. As one of the biggest, most valuable media companies in the entire world, ESPN can be all things to all people. They air the games, report about the games, debate the games, and all on global platforms of TV, radio, and the internet.

Sports fans have to feel they can trust ESPN because ESPN is sports. The national sports discussion is ESPN and what ESPN's talking about dictates and reflects what sports fans are talking about on Twitter, around water coolers, and everywhere in between.

But in the last year and a half, that trust factor has eroded for fans who follow the sports world and the world that covers sports closely. Several things happened this week to bring this to the forefront. Monday, the scrutiny facing ESPN's journalistic practices reached new heights as Poynter filed their last column as ESPN ombudsman and John Koblin filed a great piece on ESPN selling their soul to Tim Tebow at Deadspin. Monday night, Rick Reilly was sheepishly caught begging for attribution in having Ben Roethlisberger's injury news first on Twitter. Then on Wednesday, Fox's Jay Glazer became the latest reporter to publicly call out ESPN for stealing one of his reports without attribution. The combination of those two pieces (that are well worth your time to read in full), Reilly's actions, and Glazer's frustration bring to light an issue that has haunted ESPN in the last year and a half.

ESPN is losing our trust.
ESPN'S JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY COMING UNDER CLOSE EXAMINATION
Old 11-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: ESPN - Lack of Integrity?

The only I use the 4 Letter Network for is watching the games other than that won't watch their "journalism". I don't get a tingling feeling running my leg from watching the Four Letter.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Its entertainment and even they know it.

all of their good journalists leave.
Bruce Feldman, Pat Forde are two of them

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

I look at ESPN for scores and read articles at yahoo sports and cbs.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

i love DLHQ....that show is so funny
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

I couldn't care less if ESPN "steals" a story. It's not my problem. as long as I hear the news ASAP, I don't care who is reporting or if they stole it from somebody else.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
I couldn't care less if ESPN "steals" a story. It's not my problem. as long as I hear the news ASAP, I don't care who is reporting or if they stole it from somebody else.
i agree but the people who make a living off of that stuff are the pissed ones
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
Stealing a story is absolutely a problem. Other journalists shouldn't have their material and scoop ripped off. What if your co-worker (or even another company) took credit for something you worked on. How would you feel? The project was completed, so is that all that matters to you?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Schecter
Banned

Male

Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
i agree but the people who make a living off of that stuff are the pissed ones
I agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
Stealing a story is absolutely a problem. Other journalists shouldn't have their material and scoop ripped off. What if your co-worker (or even another company) took credit for something you worked on. How would you feel?
I would be pissed, but sense I have nothing to do with journalism nor does my job, I don't care. Do you see what im saying? I know it's not right, but at the end of the day, I dont care because it doesn't effect me.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
CarolinaBand
MiLB

Male

CockyCash: 1575
CarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot material

They operate just like the major 24 hour news networks do. Very little reporting and heavy on the analysis (by analysis I mean two stuffed suits screaming producer driven opinions at one another). Oh and plenty of Tebow stories.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I watch ESPN for their game broadcasts and the 30 for 30 series. Don't care much for their on-air personalities and analysts. I use their website a good bit for scores, schedules, etc. I think they are faster and better at keeping up to the minute stats and scores. Their journalists and online analysts are hit and miss. I agree with Emery in that yahoo and CBS have better analysis. In this day and age though, it's really the consumer's fault if all they use is ESPN. There are many good alternatives and it's not that hard to find them.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
Tater Tom
Blue Chip

Male

Tater Tom is crowing loudlyTater Tom is crowing loudlyTater Tom is crowing loudlyTater Tom is crowing loudlyTater Tom is crowing loudlyTater Tom is crowing loudlyTater Tom is crowing loudlyTater Tom is crowing loudlyTater Tom is crowing loudlyTater Tom is crowing loudlyTater Tom is crowing loudly

They need some legitimate competition.
Tater Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Tom View Post
I'd like to see it be NBC sports

#LukeForMod

Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
CarolinaBand
MiLB

Male

CockyCash: 1575
CarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot material

Quote:
Amen
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #15
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

the whole Sarah Phillips thing showed their lack of integrity. How you hire someone without doing a background check or meeting them in person is beyond me.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
While there are plenty of other sports outlets to get information, some more accurate and credible than ESPN, to me your post really is applicable more to the mainstream media which is severely lacking when it comes to more legitimate competition and accurate reporting.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #17
JNGolf
#PlayInTheNow

Male

CockyCash: 12500000
JNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
I'd like to see it be NBC sports
Not with Erik Kuselias on air...
JNGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #18
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

NBC Sports = Comcast

Since Comcast purchased NBC things have gone downhill. They now have control of the weather channel, seen much weather there lately? Mostly reality shows. They will ruin NBC Sports just like they have everything they touch, Just ask Jay Leno who just had major cuts to his show staff even though they are profitable.

Comcast is known as the worst company in America, thats why they are changing their name to Xfinity.
uscgmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #19
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

NBC sports has big names.

Costas, Beadle, DP, Michaels, Mayock, Emrick, it's not Comcast

#LukeForMod

Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
Cocknfire55
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 244
Cocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot material

I like NBC sports coverage. They're just missing the big sec/pac12/big 10/big 12 games. Notre dame just doesn't cut it.
Cocknfire55 is offline   Reply With Quote