CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurrier_Superior_On
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
GoldenSpur7
Cockhornleghorn
Rebel4ever
TAFC 5 1981
Dizzy01
ReadR00ster
JAYBEZ
Victor Hampton Arres (2271)
Diamond DeSheilds, U (1884)
how has more ESPN an (1146)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (884)
Gamecock Legacy recr (661)
Attendance next seas (479)
Clemson's At It Agai (450)
Women's bb - Deshiel (392)
$15 home AC (306)
22 ways to annoy peo (284)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
how has more ESPN anounce
Clemson's At It Again
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
One thing I was glad to s
Ahmed Hill (2014 Propsect
Connor Mitch
I got robbed in broad day
Victor Hampton Arrested

Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default Re: SEC Coach of the year.

You can't be a fan of College Football and not admire Sumlin from the day's at Houston to where he is now.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb

Thing is, I think Manziel is contained by fast, athletic defenses. Bama has a more brutish, physical D that tries to outmuscle you. Florida and LSU, the two teams he lost to, had extremely fast and agile defenses.
BuCockyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #23
gocockswyn
Two Deep

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

What about Spurrier?
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #24
Spurrier Fan
Blue Chip

Male

Spurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his comb

It's Sumlin, Franklin, or Muschamp.

I would say Sumlin. First year at Texas A&M, and in their first year in the league, and he has them likely headed to a 10-2 record with a true freshman (albeit phenominal) qb.

It kind of sucks that just as Arkansas starts to slide they get replaced with Texas A&M who is on the upswing as a permanent rival. Fortunately that doesn't start until 2014, and Arkansas is on the schedule for one more season. (I really like the West schedule for a change getting Arky with a first year coach minus many starters from this season, and Miss St. at home, but I degress.)
Spurrier Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #25
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4259
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think Sumlin's first year at A&M and first year in the league gets it if they win out. But the SEC is full of politics and if Johnny Football gets player of the year, look for one of the SEC ruling powers (uga, Bama, LSU, etc.) to get coach of the year. Of course if Richt's team manages to beat Bama and everyone ahead of them loses helping them get into the NC game he probably will win it. And it will be kind of funny because they will have won a NC while underachieving.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #26
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Give me Sumlin over Muschamp. I still feel like UF is winning games based more off their insane amount of talent rather than coaching. Sumlin has turned around an A&M team that was not expected to make a bowl this year into a team that has competed with everyone and beaten teams (Bama) that are much more talented.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #27
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Give me Sumlin over Muschamp. I still feel like UF is winning games based more off their insane amount of talent rather than coaching. Sumlin has turned around an A&M team that was not expected to make a bowl this year into a team that has competed with everyone and beaten teams (Bama) that are much more talented.
Besides Alabama, who have they beaten?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #28
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I think Sumlin's first year at A&M and first year in the league gets it if they win out. But the SEC is full of politics and if Johnny Football gets player of the year, look for one of the SEC ruling powers (uga, Bama, LSU, etc.) to get coach of the year. Of course if Richt's team manages to beat Bama and everyone ahead of them loses helping them get into the NC game he probably will win it. And it will be kind of funny because they will have won a NC while underachieving.

If you win the SEC & Nat'l title would that not be the definition of achievement?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #29
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 95340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Sumlin, unless he loses to Mizzou, then he's out.

-Abo Swinney, April 17, 2013

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-carolina-woes
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #30
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
If you win the SEC & Nat'l title would that not be the definition of achievement?
You guys aren't, so it's a moot point.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #31
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post
You guys aren't, so it's a moot point.
I don't think so either just winning the SEC would make me happy but anytime you win a championship in this league I don't think it can be looked at as underachievement.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #32
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post
Besides Alabama, who have they beaten?

That's not really my point. They've achieved way above expectations this year. Sure UF was a surprise, but they haven't impressed me whatsoever. Homefield advantage + talent won them the games they have won so far. Sumlin has coached a team that lacks the talent the big boys do and has them competing.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #33
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 98700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
That's not really my point. They've achieved way above expectations this year. Sure UF was a surprise, but they haven't impressed me whatsoever. Homefield advantage + talent won them the games they have won so far. Sumlin has coached a team that lacks the talent the big boys do and has them competing.
Huh? They got plenty of talent. They beat Bama and I give them credit for that but other than that their wins are not very impressive.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #34
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Sumlin

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #35
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4259
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post

Its underachieving when you have an insane amount of talent every year, manage to look really bad winning games against teams with lesser talent, yet only have a realistic chance of winning out because of a huge scheduling advantage. For a team like USC to win a NC it takes a whole lot of luck. A team with the talent of uga is supposed to win one every year according to their fans. The point of this ramble is though that with the talent uga has, they should be able to play at USC, at Bama, at LSU and still go undefeated, instead of needing a late game fumble recovery (just like USC) to beat TN, and 6 fumbles to beat UF at a neutral site.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #36
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
LOL ummm what? They have an OT, DE and LB and WR that will be drafted in the first two rounds of the draft. They have AMAZING talent. You act like Sumlin just took a bunch of people off the street and made them good.

Which is far from the case.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #37
AstroCock
FEAR ME!!!!

Male

AstroCock is USC mascot materialAstroCock is USC mascot materialAstroCock is USC mascot materialAstroCock is USC mascot materialAstroCock is USC mascot materialAstroCock is USC mascot materialAstroCock is USC mascot materialAstroCock is USC mascot materialAstroCock is USC mascot materialAstroCock is USC mascot materialAstroCock is USC mascot material

Kevin Sumlin... He ruined Bama's championship hopes and our BCS hopes in his first year in the SEC. Their QB reminds me so much of RG3.
AstroCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #38
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

scfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his comb

Muschamp has top 10 talent from recruiting. They are doing what they should be doing.

Who has Franklin beaten? Didn't they lose to a big 10 team in a year where nobody loses to a big 10 team?

I'd go Sumlin.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #39
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Sumlin or Richt

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #40
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

You can't leave out Bill Schneider at K-State. He has to be in the discussion.