CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
GoldenSpur7
ccured
Thenardier
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1916)
Can Tennessee get to (1300)
ESPN Article on HBC (1074)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (863)
Spread vs. aTm (808)
2 Crazy things (805)
Lindy's top 100 for (763)
Chick Redefines the (742)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (637)
The Bama series (523)
Name a Gamecock
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Get it while it's hot
2 Crazy things
Playstation 4
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina

Old 11-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #141
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material
Default Re: SOS not happy with students

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Boom. Roasted.

It isn't like they are being punished. They don't HAVE to attend the games in the first place. It is a privilege, not a right.

I would even be for allowing one exception per year...for say, Wofford or the like. Leaving early in a full 60 minute battle with Tennessee? Unacceptable.
that would be punishment. that would take ages to get people out of the student section. and you are right it isn't a priveledge or a right, we pay for those tickets.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #142
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb

Why don't they just hand out tickets for games at the end of the prior home game? If there are some left over, then distribute them as they do now. But if you leave the game early, tough -- you can hope to get a leftover. The obvious problem is for people who have to miss a game for a completely legit reason and then can't get back in the cycle.

Nevermind, this is basically what you guys are already arguing about. Although I think handing out paper tickets on a 1 to 1 ratio would resolve some of the card scanning problems and be more timely.
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #143
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Cocky View Post
As a liftetime gamecock fan and a freshman this year at USC it saddens me to see the students leaving early. I've never left a game early but students leaving early is something that is accepted on campus

But we cannot go back to the old system.

We have over 45 thousand students on this campus and getting tickets to the game would be an absolute nightmare.

Plus students leave the games to go get drunk, for some students they could care less about the game, they are only there for the party. The appeal isn't the game, the appeal is the tailgating and the drinking.

The ticket system right now is flawed, i'll completely admit that but people saying that we should go back to the old system, well I completely disagree with them.

The culture has changed around here, students who didn't grow up gamecock fans just expect us to win now and don't see the appeal in staying for the game if we are leading the other team. "New Carolina"

I do agree on the scanners thing, that would be a great step in the right direction.
you can def go back to the old system....i was there for this new system and waiting in line.....no reason why we couldnt go back to the old system...when #1 UF came into town i was in line for like a hour i think, nothing major

and 45k sounds way too high...i dont think that is even close, also out of all the students at the university there are a lot that dont care about football, most of my friends in college didnt care about it
Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #144
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
that would be punishment. that would take ages to get people out of the student section. and you are right it isn't a priveledge or a right, we pay for those tickets.
Why because of the "fee?" What a joke. They could revoke that fee and raise your tuition to that exact same amount any time they want to. They don't OWE you any tickets, it's a gift.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #145
clemson sucks
6'0" 180

Male

CockyCash: 2477208
clemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to clemson sucks

UGA students are bad about doing this as well. It's not an unusual thing.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #146
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 398687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

Always love the students vs. alumni/fans arguments. The bottom line is nothing is actually going to change. Students will always leave early. Fans will also always leave early. until we are winning these tough road games consistently the home crowds will not be as good as they should be.(Sucks i know) Spurrier can be upset with the students all he wants, but students don't listen to him anyway. Hell, I'm upset with spurrier for our offense being so unpredictable but I don't see that changing anytime soon either. When we are not playing a big time opponent at home, the crowd doesn't play that much of a factor anyway. I wish it did, and I wish people would stay,stand, and yell the whole game but that just isn't going to happen. Stop complaining about things that can't really and won't really be changed.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #147
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie9 View Post
I hate to.generalize, but the Greeks are the absolute worst.

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #148
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Cocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot material

Lol at people blaming it on northern students. During my time at Carolina (08-May 12) more southerners were leaving early than northerners. It has gotten much worse now, and that is because of the system put in place this year (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear#5 View Post
Ok I'm a 3rd year student and the only game I've left at halftime my time here was East Carolina this season and only because my girlfriend was complaining (go ahead and make jokes). But i am disappointed with my fellow students. Arkansas game i was expecting students to leave at halftime due to the high number of Greeks that just came to the game to hear the awards announced at halftime. Tennessee game though, i was really disappointed with them because it was such a close game and Tennessee's last few drives were towards the student section and the extra noise should have been there. But there are a few points I'd like to make.

Yancey i know you've said save tickets for students who want them but guess what, the past two games had lower deck seats available so if they really wanted them they could have. And yes i know it's sad that those tickets weren't claimed.

The wait in line system for tickets is outdated and easily beaten by "unloyal" fans so i say a ticket system like last year's is the best option with a greater reward for more loyal fans. Have a game by game request system and the students who go to more athletic events are basically guaranteed a ticket. I'm not talking about just athletic events that are football, basketball, and baseball like last year's though. Make all sports count, like soccer, volleyball, softball, etc. Show who the students are who care most about Carolina athletics and it would build attendance at the non-revenue sports.

Concerning students leaving early, i like the idea of having to scan your Carolina Card if you leave early. For example, have separate ticket scanner people scanning students cards that are leaving early as they leave. I say put those scanners in place until the beginning of the 4th quarter. If the students wanna leave then, just give them that choice. If you leave before the 4th quarter more than twice in a season, revoke that students tickets for the rest of the year.
This 1000%. The problem is the new system where you buy a block of season tickets, and this is coming from someone I know in the ticket office. TicketReturn wasn't perfect, but it was much better than this and better than waiting in line for tickets. The problem with the current one is all the frat guys and sorostitutes buy up the season tickets then leave at halftime. Also there is no incentive to go to other sporting events, and that hurts their attendance. If you give people points for going to other sports like the above post mentioned it increases the attendance at those games and makes it harder for unloyal students to get football tickets. Honestly, how many Greeks are gonna go to basketball games? And this is not an indictment of Greek life, I have no problem with Greeks overall, just their habit of leaving football games early.
Cocks and Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #149
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks and Canes View Post
Lol at people blaming it on northern students. During my time at Carolina (08-May 12) more southerners were leaving early than northerners. .
Now how would you know if more Southerners were leaving than Northerners? Did you poll those leaving early? Were more white and pasty people left in the crowd until the end? Were the cheers more nasally at the end of the game?
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #150
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

Cocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMonticelloCock View Post
Now how would you know if more Southerners were leaving than Northerners? Did you poll those leaving early? Were more white and pasty people left in the crowd until the end? Were the cheers more nasally at the end of the game?
Actually there were more educated people with full sets of teeth left in the stands, that's how I knew they were northerners. In reality, when you talk to the people in your row and the rows in front of and behind you every game you can tell where they're from, and when it's the same demographics of people leaving every game it's pretty obvious who is at fault. Also, when you have entire frats that won't even let you rush if you're not from South Carolina and they all clear out by halftime, yeah it's more southerners than northerners.

I'm from South Carolina, btw.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #151
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Actually there were more educated people with full sets of teeth left in the stands, that's how I knew they were northerners. In reality, when you talk to the people in your row and the rows in front of and behind you every game you can tell where they're from, and when it's the same demographics of people leaving every game it's pretty obvious who is at fault. Also, when you have entire frats that won't even let you rush if you're not from South Carolina and they all clear out by halftime, yeah it's more southerners than northerners.

Ok, I just wanted to see what your source was. Seems like you've studied this one hard and have come up with a legit conclusion that Southerners are the reason to blame for students leaving early.

Those evil frats not letting in the those Yankees, even though many of those frats were founded in the North
Old 11-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #152
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:

Sounds like you have issues that extend past leaving or staying at football games.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #153
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
But then every single person there at the end of the game would have to wait to get their card scanned and that's just not feasible.

You'd also have 1000 exceptions per game. People would make up a million excuses as to why they had to leave
What do you mean it's not feasible? You have to get your ticket scanned if you want to come into the game. So what's the big deal about doing it on the way out? You get all those same people with the scanners scanning the tickets it won't be that long.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #154
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

I still blame it on

1. Overabundance of noon kick offs this year
2. Lack of a super challenging home schedule. Our only really hard game was UGA, and the crowd was great there.

That's why the issue has been noticed more this year.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #155
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107378315064
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
What do you mean it's not feasible? You have to get your ticket scanned if you want to come into the game. So what's the big deal about doing it on the way out? You get all those same people with the scanners scanning the tickets it won't be that long.
People come in over the period of a couple hours. If everyone stays, then everyone tried to leave at the same time. Simple concept.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #156
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
You'd have to close down the scanning at some point. Only scan those people that leave the game with 5 minutes or more left in the game.

It would be a huge mess if you scanned everyone's ticket that left the stadium near the end of the game.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #157
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Ok, I just wanted to see what your source was. Seems like you've studied this one hard and have come up with a legit conclusion that Southerners are the reason to blame for students leaving early.

Those evil frats not letting in the those Yankees, even though many of those frats were founded in the North
I never said Southerners are the reason to blame for students leaving early, but others on here have suggested that Northerners are the reason. I'm pointing out that that's simply not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Sounds like you have issues that extend past leaving or staying at football games.
Would love to know your reasoning behind this.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #158
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
I never said Southerners are the reason to blame for students leaving early, but others on here have suggested that Northerners are the reason. I'm pointing out that that's simply not true.

Would love to know your reasoning behind this.
Felt like you have a little southern shame/guilt from your post.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #159
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
You'd have to close down the scanning at some point. Only scan those people that leave the game with 5 minutes or more left in the game.

It would be a huge mess if you scanned everyone's ticket that left the stadium near the end of the game.
Huge mess? no way. You are exaggerating. not so long as you have enough people with scanners. You might have to wait in line for a little while, but it wouldn't be "a huge mess"
Old 11-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #160
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Felt like you have a little southern shame/guilt from your post.
Not at all, was responding to his stereotypes of northerners with stereotypes of southerners.