CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Roosterboy
thekob
TheUniversityofSC
dixiecock
Bed Sores
markp_vip
JulesWinnfield90
Order 66
The Yancey
Conflict with Aggies (4255)
Skai Moore not start (3326)
Paul Finebaum heaps (2735)
New JK Video Imminen (1892)
Kyle Carpenter to le (1268)
Spurrier on a&m (1233)
Old Footage from WB (831)
Michael Sam Headline (704)
Centerplate CEO, Des (505)
Finbaum Jogs on USC (419)
Skai Moore not starting a
Finbaum Jogs on USC campu
Official SEC Network and
Conflict with Aggies on t
'13 Mizzou game on SEC Ne
Defensive Backfield
CockyTalk Football Pickem
Interview with Dylan Thom
video card installation h
24 Iconic Southern Dishes

Old 11-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb
Default Would you go/have you been to an art museum?

I am going to be laidover in the Chicago suburbs on Sunday and.I thought about riding the Metra into Chitcago and visiting the Art Institute of Chicago...
..the problem is that I don't know anything about art, literally. I may have gotten 3 or 4 questions right in 30 years of watching Jeopardy. I don't even know why people like art....
...but I have an open mind. Have any of ya'll ever been to one of these and would you recommend it? If so, what should I focus on? Their webpage says they have 260,000 pieces, so I couldn't see it all in one day.
Thanks for your input.
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material
Default Re: Would you go/have you been to an art museum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster2112 View Post
I am going to be laidover in the Chicago suburbs on Sunday and.I thought about riding the Metra into Chitcago and visiting the Art Institute of Chicago...
..the problem is that I don't know anything about art, literally. I may have gotten 3 or 4 questions right in 30 years of watching Jeopardy. I don't even know why people like art....
...but I have an open mind. Have any of ya'll ever been to one of these and would you recommend it? If so, what should I focus on? Their webpage says they have 260,000 pieces, so I couldn't see it all in one day.
Thanks for your input.
Absolutely I would go. You don't have to know anything about art, just go & enjoy the art. I went to the art Museum in Chattanooga while I was there a while back & really enjoyed it. I like you don't know much about art either.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

I'd probably go if I was feeling it. Like keeg said, you don't really have to "know" it in order to find it interesting.

Metalrush24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Looks like they have some interesting exhibits. http://www.artic.edu/. Just go and see if any of the art speaks to you, tugs your mind or emotions in one direction or another. No need to get caught up in art history or critical technique. Just notice what things you like and what you don't.
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

Thx. Already planning my route on Metra, via Google maps.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Yancey is right, just look for something that you like, for whatever reason you like it. I have been to several, like the Smithsonian's art museum and in Richmond, VA, where they have a Faberge' egg exhibit. I would go see the field museum of science in chicago if it were me. They have a captured german U-boat and the man eaters of Tsavo exhibits!!
catdaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
riceatusc
Misses Old Cockytalk

Male

CockyCash: 300000000
riceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to riceatusc Send a message via MSN to riceatusc

I love art museums and other museums. Have to get that culture in. I made sure that I hit up a few, including the Van Gogh museum and Nemo, while I was in Amsterdam. I'm hoping to make it down to Atlanta to go to the High Museum of Art.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
TheUSCMike
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 4500
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Been to Chicago a couple of times on business. The Chicago Museum of Science and Industry was more to my liking.

On a side note my wife and I were going into a restaurant as I opened the door for her I saw a couple of ladies behind us so I held the door open for them. One of the ladies remarked "you're not from around here are you". We thought that was funny.

TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #9
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

Yep! I love them. I've been to other types of museums other than art, but I've been to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta and the MoMA in NYC. The next time I go to NYC, I want to visit the Guggenheim and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #10
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

Yep! I love them. I've been to other types of museums other than art, but I've been to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta and the MoMA in NYC. The next time I go to NYC, I want to visit the Guggenheim and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I love the Impressionist Era artists (Monet, Renoir, Degas, Cezanne) and some 20th century artists I like are Jackson Pollock, Pablo Picasso, Frida Kahlo and Georgia O'Keeffe to name a few.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
USCgamecocks
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1368
USCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPit

I've been to see the Warhol Museum and its just an interesting experience to actually see things you've only read about.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
The Gamecock Outlaw
Glutton For Punishment

Male

CockyCash: 200
The Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot material

I went to the one on the Bob Jones University Campus. It was nice! Very nice. Didn't expect it to be as big as it was being on a college campus but it was very well done.
The Gamecock Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

I am a history nerd so I prefer history museums, but the art museums I've been to are interesting as well.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

I went to the one in Atlanta when I was younger. Although I wasn't old enough to appreciate it, it was still interesting and fun.

I went to the museum on Main Street in Columbia a year or two ago when they had the "Shooting Rock" (or something like that) exhibit. That was awesome, and I'm not that into art.

Bottom line is: if you think you're going to have a bad time while you're there, you will. Have an open mind. Also, try to get some pamphlet on the art to look at while you're observing the art.
Sir Cuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Art...

Art is such a complex subject.

what is art? creativity, imagination, history, representation, beauty, revelation, idealism, music, technique...

You can ask these questions, who is the author? why did he do that? what does it represent on his life, his culture, his mind...

does it represent something sad? brilliant? obscure? a political idea? a romantic sentiment? a rebellious attitude, an idea?

where does it come from? what is the culture of the author, what does he represent? what is he trying to accomplish with his art?

art can be fascinating in many ways.

For instance, a young artist from the South will represent his ideas on his art... the civil war, the "rising of the south," segregation, the 13 colonies, farm living...

An artist from Africa will represent poverty, racism, hope, development, native culture, revolution...

An artist from California will represent... beach life, barbies, hollywood, diversity, anarchism, innovation...

An artist from Paris will represent fashion, idealism, pluralism, wines, parties...

An artist Italy will represent romanticism, fascism, supremacy, roman architecture, Italian cooking...

I dont want to bore you but that is art, its culture, and the artist always try to represent his/her culture or their idea of culture...

Let us know how it goes, if you find anything interesting.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
palmettogirlusc
Resident Fashion Expert

Female

Avatar: Award given for the best avatar - Given for: having the best avatar of 2005 
CockyCash: 99987
palmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot material

I've been to the Hirshhorn Smithsonian. Was there in Early January. I never thought I would enjoy an art museum. I have no artistic abilities whatsoever. It was really nice just to walk around and enjoy the abilities of others though. Its a good place for self-reflection because you may see some things that you absolutely think is the most hideous thing you have ever seen. But others you will stop and look and go "hmm i never thought i would like something like that but i do...why?!?!"

There is a huge window overlooking DC at the Hirshhorn, my best friend and I sat there for about an hour having one of the best conversations we had had in a long time. Shortly after we headed to the bar to ATTEMPT to watch our bowl game...they wouldn't change the channel for just us two though :(

said window.

palmettogirlusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
kquiz1
Walk On

Male

kquiz1 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster2112 View Post
Thanks for your input.
Most museums have a guided audio tour. You rent the headphones and player when you arrive and it takes you through the museum. If you see something that interests you the player can be paused and restarted. That is well worth the money. I saw a Van Gogh and a Da Vinci once in a museum in DC and I won't forget it till my dying day. You don't have to be a art snob to appreciate something beautiful. Bet you look at hot girls everyday! LOL GO!
kquiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #18
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

I have been to the Smithsonian Museums, and then a couple of other art museums because my ex was an art major.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
bertoholic
THAT Damn Good

Male

CockyCash: 14152650
bertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettogirlusc View Post
I've been to the Hirshhorn Smithsonian. Was there in Early January. I never thought I would enjoy an art museum. I have no artistic abilities whatsoever. It was really nice just to walk around and enjoy the abilities of others though. Its a good place for self-reflection because you may see some things that you absolutely think is the most hideous thing you have ever seen. But others you will stop and look and go "hmm i never thought i would like something like that but i do...why?!?!"

There is a huge window overlooking DC at the Hirshhorn, my best friend and I sat there for about an hour having one of the best conversations we had had in a long time. Shortly after we headed to the bar to ATTEMPT to watch our bowl game...they wouldn't change the channel for just us two though :(

said window.
Holy crap you are alive!

To the OP: Go. Enjoy. Appreciate the beauty.

If you don't know now you know....
bertoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

On the Metra inbound right now. Thanks for the replies....seriously