CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Lankey62
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (32845)
Gameday in Columbia (1778)
ECU is a good team (1479)
Why we'll dominate C (1245)
Spurrier was Embaras (1169)
Is it possible for o (1125)
Spurrier not happy s (1088)
Alabama vs Florida. (1028)
Lammons out (989)
ECU is a good team (974)
Spurrier was Embarassed
Is anyone really surprise
**USC vs. Vanderbilt GAME
Is it possible for our Sp
More David Williams Pleas
Glad We Won
Best and worst of the gam
2016 - Jamie Skalski
ECU
Spurrier not happy so why

Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #21
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

CockyCash: 500
JTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Can someone explain to me the rationale behind starting Shaw today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Typically a player starts because they've earned it. Connor Shaw is 2 weeks removed from being the SEC Offensive Player of the Week.
Everybody (who is informed at least) knows that he was SEC OPW because his dad plays water polo with Mike Slive.

Typical Homer
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

In hindsight, Shaw brought the suck today.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #23
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
In hindsight, Shaw brought the suck today.
I'm not arguing from hindsight. I thought it was a stupid move from the beginning.
Ownage McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #24
garnet&black1998rn
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
garnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
Are you people from another planet?
i believe that would be the Dark side of URanus. must be solar flares.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

I see my Shaw vs. Garcia thread was taken down. Can't even have a conversation on here. Typical Cockytalk!
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #26
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownage McGee View Post
Let me preface this by saying I realize I am not a coaching legend like Steve Spurrier so please spare me the posts reminding me of that. This is America and I can express disagreement with something.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why SOS decided to start Shaw today. He's obviously nursing a bad foot and we have Clemson next week. Did he think that DT couldn't get it done? He got it done vs better opponents than Wofford earlier in the year. I see no reason not to have confidence in him.

If anyone can explain to me why SOS found it necessary to start Shaw today I am all ears, or eyes rather.

We needed to win so we started the QB that gave us the best chance.
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #27
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb

Don't condescend to me as if I'm a wackjob or idiot. Many of you are grossly oversimplifying the issue. You all know good and well that this wasn't a mere matter of "starting the best guy".

Shaw has a nagging injury that needs rest in order to heal. We were facing a vastly inferior opponent whom our backup QB could easily dismantle. I'm sorry if some of you can't grasp that simple logic, but you could at least concede that I've raised a valid point.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

At this point who cares if Shaw started, the game is over & we won. Terrible win but we won. Let's just hope we were looking ahead to Clemson & that's the reason for todays game.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #29
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous

You are over complicating this way too much. Nothing condenscending about if. Just plain and simple. We started our best to win....luckily it worked out. On Clowney, we really didn't lose much with him on the bench against their run offense. That was an easy decision as well. Time for Clempson.
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #30
cocky_in_sc
Walk On

Male

cocky_in_sc is learning to peckcocky_in_sc is learning to peck

I'm with the OP. I'll let the coaches do the coaches but for discussion, which is all this board is anyway, I would have liked DT.
A hobbling Connor is just not a good qb. With no real threat to run he's very average. And he's more of a target for their D.
I wish he got some recovery time before Clemson.

Glad it worked out though. Hope Connor and Clowney are ready for Clemson.
cocky_in_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #31
TheBiggestSpur
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1700
TheBiggestSpur is learning to peckTheBiggestSpur is learning to peck

Seeing Shaw bounce around like he is on a pogo stick is getting real old
TheBiggestSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #32
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
If Shaw was not in there maybe we don't win the game. His legs got us out of trouble at least 8-10 times today.
Shaw played poorly over all today. His running was tentative, he turned it over twice - both his fault, and he didn't get the ball out to open receivers several times. It was like he was tight or scared or something. I turned to my wife after the third series and said he should be pulled. He was already limping and looked to be way off. Spurrier sad a few weeks ago that Connor played better after being benched. I didn't see him do anything today that was special, and saw many poor plays.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #33
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Secretly Spurrier wants us to lose so he repeatedly starts Shaw regardless of what the coaches on the couch think.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #34
KEmmrich
Walk On

Male

KEmmrich has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownage McGee View Post
...For the life of me I cannot figure out why SOS decided to start Shaw today. He's obviously nursing a bad foot and we have Clemson next week. ...
Maybe Spurrier believes that this week's game is as big as next week's game. I know it is hard for some of you to fathom, but you can't win 11 if you don't win the 10th, if you don't win the 9th.

Me, I would have started Dylan Thompson and let Shaw rest for one week.
KEmmrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #35
unmeaty
Recruit

Male

unmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPit

Dylan was hurt previously so there's no guarantee that we was 100% either. In a perfect world DT would have started and Shaw, who had the most erratic 16/20 performance I've ever seen, would rest. He wasn't sharp and he was clearly hobbled.

Some of that had to do with us not being able to get in a rhythm because of the forced media timeouts due to excessive running by both teams. Run, run, run...no time for commercials. Oh, there's a change of possession? Let's take a break. ZZZzzzzz...

It wasn't a particularly inspiring performance, but it is what it is (fo' sho'). Wofford lulls you to sleep and eats clock in big ole chunks, 24-7 is right where I saw this.

I would have personally liked to see Dylan playing because there was room to run and we ran a lot. It would have been nice to rest Shaw, but again, no telling if DT was completely healed either. I'll just trust that Coach knows what he's doing, as he has now won 64 more games at South Carolina than I have.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #36
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Shaw is our best quarterback so he started. Why is that so hard to understand?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #37
unmeaty
Recruit

Male

unmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post

Because he's hurt and it's obviously affecting his play? That's why. But again, I trust the coaches on that call, just fans doing what fans do....
Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #38
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Is your reading comprehension really that poor? Did you really not catch the part about Shaw having an injured foot and needing to rest?

You do realize that's the whole point of the thread, right? Not that Thompson is the better QB.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #39
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Did y'all miss the part about Dylan being injured too?
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #40
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEmmrich View Post
Maybe Spurrier believes that this week's game is as big as next week's game. I know it is hard for some of you to fathom, but you can't win 11 if you don't win the 10th, if you don't win the 9th.

Me, I would have started Dylan Thompson and let Shaw rest for one week.
Glad to see you agree with me, but you're creating a strawman with your other point. I never said that SOS should have taken Wofford lightly. I see no reason why he couldn't have full confidence in Thompson to get the job done while Shaw healed up.