CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
ReadR00ster
4gamecockfb
sporkgod50
OscarTheGrouch
Acockolypse Now
RGHoskins
bigdog2003
GoldenSpur7
Spurrier_Superior_On
Diamond DeSheilds, U (2839)
how has more ESPN an (1578)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (1111)
Gamecock Legacy recr (766)
Women's bb - Deshiel (506)
Clemson's At It Agai (497)
22 ways to annoy peo (391)
$15 home AC (368)
Hope Springs Eternal (303)
Why sports will alwa (255)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Steak and eggs
how has more ESPN anounce
Season Rankings Thread...
Byron the bunny...fear th
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Playstation 4
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Joeckel Transfering from

Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #21
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: Maryland and Rutgers In Serious Discussion with Big 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Anybody think Clemson will ever move into the SEC?

*Take off the garnet sunshades for a minute.
No, never, ever, ever will they get into the SEC. They will get into the Big XII maybe but never here. They bring nothing new to the table
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #22
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:

No. They don't produce enough accretive earnings to the SEC to justify they're entry.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

I say ACC goes after Louisville if this happens.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #24
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Quote:

No, as is explained in the article I linked earlier. It makes NO sense to add a team in a state that already has a representative in the conference (ie no FSU, Miami, Clemson, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU or Baylor) because the SEC Network (coming shortly) will already get the premium fee from the TV networks in the state. It makes sense for the conference to expand to new states (ie NC, VA) because it brings the network's premium fee to all the households in that state. That is why getting Texas and Missouri was so important, it expanded the household size of the SEC by 50%, therefore taking those millions of households and turning them from out of region households and turning them into in region households forcing the cable providers to pay more money. The SEC will only expand to states that it does not already have represented, which is why the common assumption is that if the SEC expands again it would grab a school in NC (probably NC State) and a school in Virginia (probably Virginia Tech).
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Rob I do feel like Texas would be an exception to that.
They are way too large of a name and bring a lot of money to turn them down.

Althought it's a moot point because they aren't leaving OU

#LukeForMod

Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #26
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
I say ACC goes after Louisville if this happens.
Academics at Louisville don't come close for the ACC. The article says UCONN will be next.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Rob I do feel like Texas would be an exception to that.
They are way too large of a name and bring a lot of money to turn them down.

Althought it's a moot point because they aren't leaving OU
I agree that they are too big a brand to pass up in a perfect world, but it is not a perfect world in that it would also bring the Longhorn Network and the SEC wants absolutely no part of that. Plus, I only assume that the aTm would join with the USC, UGA, UF, UK group to block their rivals from joining.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #28
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Academics at Louisville don't come close for the ACC. The article says UCONN will be next.
Yea I read what you said wrong.

Thought you meant if UMD can't pay the buyout Uconn is taking the place.

I still don't see where Maryland is affording this buyout, unless the Big Ten pays it.

#LukeForMod

Old 11-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #29
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Quote:

I still don't see where Maryland is affording this buyout, unless the Big Ten pays it.
Certain that B1G would pay it to get access to the new revenue. They would make the money back in less than a year. Just like if the SEC were to grab 2 ACC teams, the SEC Network increased money would more than cover the $100 million that would be owed to the ACC.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #30
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly
Default Maryland Leaving the Anemic ACC

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ce-sources-say

With several ACC football stadiums only getting 25,000 attendence and the overall talent level falling with the exception of FSU and Clemson, I think Maryland sees the writing on the wall for the conference.

Clemson may see the writing on the wall next Saturday after Gamecocks roll over them for a fourth year in a row.

Is the end in sight for the ACC in football?
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #31
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107378315064
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material
Default Re: Maryland Leaving the Anemic ACC

Wrong forum AND there is already a thread on this
Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I don't think that the courts would OK that buyout. The Big Whatever would pay half of that for them.
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #33
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly

Maybe I should have started a thread instead about the color of our uniforms. That's always fascinating to read. Or perhaps a thread about parking.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #34
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107378315064
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
Maybe I should have started a thread instead about the color of our uniforms. That's always fascinating to read. Or perhaps a thread about parking.
Or maybe you should have just searched for the topic you were about to post and put in the right forum.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #35
GoldenSpur7
Veritas vincit ...

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Rutgers is a big market school. I thought VaTech would be a better fit for the B1G than Maryland, as they have a bigger following.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #36
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacitynate View Post
Rutgers is a big market school. I thought VaTech would be a better fit for the B1G than Maryland, as they have a bigger following.
Va Tech knows the SEC is their future and it would be easier to keep their southeast recruiting ties than in B1G. The reason for MD is to get a foothold on the East Coast in hopes they could snag 2 of UNC, GT and UVA when the 16 team conferences happen.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #37
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:

Who says MD can't afford the buy-out. The Big 10 $$$$ is far better than the ACC and will only increase with the addition of MD and Rutgers.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #38
GoldenSpur7
Veritas vincit ...

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
Va Tech knows the SEC is their future and it would be easier to keep their southeast recruiting ties than in B1G. The reason for MD is to get a foothold on the East Coast in hopes they could snag 2 of UNC, GT and UVA when the 16 team conferences happen.
I've read there's a 'gentleman's agreement' between the SEC prez/ads not to bring in new schools from states which are already represented in the conference. I think GaTech would especially be a long shot, as that might weaken UGAs position (e.g. in recruiting) - and we all know how the central office loves UGA. UNC would be a great addition, but with their basketball tradition in the ACC, I would bet against that one, too. I'd be fine with either UVA or VaTech, and like I say the latter appeals to a broader market.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #39
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacitynate View Post
I've read there's a 'gentleman's agreement' between the SEC prez/ads not to bring in new schools from states which are already represented in the conference. I think GaTech would especially be a long shot, as that might weaken UGAs position (e.g. in recruiting) - and we all know how the central office loves UGA. UNC would be a great addition, but with their basketball tradition in the ACC, I would bet against that one, too. I'd be fine with either UVA or VaTech, and like I say the latter appeals to a broader market.
I said Va Tech.

Edit: not meant to sound like a dick, just clarifying for continuation of the convo

Last edited by Gamecock Rob; 11-17-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #40
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Who says MD can't afford the buy-out. The Big 10 $$$$ is far better than the ACC and will only increase with the addition of MD and Rutgers.
yes the big ten would foot the bill for their buy out.

#LukeForMod