CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
Spurticus
GH
75CarolinaFan
Gamecocks1137
JoeMorrisonLives
Rooster'srule
garnet_black215
StormOfTalons
Welcome to Moe's (629)
Jay Paterno Attempts (578)
help with army insig (266)
Hercules - review (263)
I'm a grand godfathe (144)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (58)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (55)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (38)
George Miller revisi (38)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (23)
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
2015 - Auden Tate
2015 Commitment - Paris P
2015 - Albert Huggins
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE Texa
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Davon Durant
Help Give Cocky a Home
Official WWE Thread
2015 - Mon Denson

Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #41
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb
Default Re: Can someone explain to me the rationale behind starting Shaw today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Did y'all miss the part about Dylan being injured too?
It's my understanding that DT is healed, though I may be wrong.
Ownage McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #42
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
If Shaw was not in there maybe we don't win the game. His legs got us out of trouble at least 8-10 times today. None of our other guys could have done that. DT may be a better passer to some, but the fact is our receivers were almost never open so it doesn't matter who was throwing it.
This brings up an interesting point. Why were our receivers never open today against a very poor defensive secondary. The truth is, they were open, but Shaw didn't either have enough time, (he was sacked 5 times) or it hurt to throw off his bad foot and he couldn't get enough on the throw. We did not throw at any TE today. Our OL was not good. But considering Shaw's terrible pick in the first half (receiver was wide open behind their LB) and Davis fumble on the 5 yard line, we should have been up 21-7 at half. If we play like this next week, our 3 year run will be over.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #43
TheUSCMike
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 4500
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownage McGee View Post
It's my understanding that DT is healed, though I may be wrong.
Strickland came in for Connor on the one play, so maybe DT isn't 100% either.
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #44
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Don't condescend to me as if I'm a wackjob or idiot. Many of you are grossly oversimplifying the issue. You all know good and well that this wasn't a mere matter of "starting the best guy".

Shaw has a nagging injury that needs rest in order to heal. We were facing a vastly inferior opponent whom our backup QB could easily dismantle. I'm sorry if some of you can't grasp that simple logic, but you could at least concede that I've raised a valid point.
I agree. SOS sat Clowney. I guess he must think Clowney is more valuable to the team next week than Shaw.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #45
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Ummm, according to some, because Connor Mitch isn't on campus yet.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #46
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
This brings up an interesting point. Why were our receivers never open today against a very poor defensive secondary. The truth is, they were open,
I was there, we had receivers open all day long, but CS doesn't go through his progressions and he is very, very tentative in throwing the ball. His game is to look at one receiver, think, "He's not open" and take off. That is what he has always done, and it is what he will always do.

We're betting heavily on Connor Mitch next season.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #47
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

I have no idea why we could not blow out Wofford like we blew out East Carolina or UAB this year.

It seems like Carolina should have had an easy day at the park.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #48
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

We have played Wofford twice before (who ran the same offense then, too) while SOS has been here and both times we played poorly and were fortunate to win. To expect this time to be much different would be foolish or hopeful, at best. SOS also knew we would likely have few offensive possessions of the ball and needed the most experienced and best QB to maximize our chances to score, especially if our "D" struggled to stop the option.

If we had gotten off to a better start, Shaw probably would have been pulled once the game was in hand.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #49
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Ummm, according to some, because Connor Mitch isn't on campus yet.
That logic is insane. Do people really think he will start over Shaw next year? A freshman QB with a team who could easily win the entire conference next year? Don't think so. If anybody will give shaw a run for his money it's DT.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #50
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
There was a running back here before Lattimore that would not see the field because of a certain player who I won't mention and it was due to favoritism. In fact it had an effect on the team off the field at the time.
I'm pretty sure "favoritism" had nothing to do with why Bobby Wallace didn't see much playing time...
Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #51
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb

Don't think that Mitch won't be in the thick of things. He's a hell of a QB and, more importantly, the type of QB that thrives in Spurrier's type of offense.
Ownage McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #52
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

Quote:
Don't think that Mitch won't be in the thick of things. He's a hell of a QB and, more importantly, the type of QB that thrives in Spurrier's type of offense.
I am hoping he is a fast learner since he gets here in January. It should be a push for the other QBs.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #53
WoodCocky
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 455
WoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPitWoodCocky rules the CockPit

Injury did someone say injury I'm just saying there was an injury?
WoodCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #54
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

I saw Connor today after the game. I had to take the elevators down from Section 306 and I ended up having to wait for my husband because he walked down. I was standing across the way from the x-ray room. Connor walked out limping and didn't have a very happy look on his face. I hope he's going to be ok.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #55
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

what a pointless thread.

he started because he is our STARTING QB.
he started because he is our BEST QB.
he started because you dont sit your BEST PLAYERS just to do it.
he started because HE DESERVES IT!!

why would you take a win out from under him???? thats so stupid.

its football, you get dinged up and you get hurt up some, ITS FOOTBALL. thats the chance you take.

as it turns out, shaw is fine, he gets a win, spurrier comes out to be right again.

cant wait for the next thread like this.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #56
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Spurrier is running a game on Clemson. They will prepare for Connor at QB
but DT will get the start.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #57
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Spurrier is running a game on Clemson. They will prepare for Connor at QB
but DT will get the start.

seems logical. the ole make em' think we're starting the best when the best has been on the bench all year act.....CLASSIC

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #58
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
seems logical. the ole make em' think we're starting the best when the best has been on the bench all year act.....CLASSIC

Classic Spurrier ain't it?
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #59
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
what a pointless thread.

he started because he is our STARTING QB.
he started because he is our BEST QB.
he started because you dont sit your BEST PLAYERS just to do it.
he started because HE DESERVES IT!!

why would you take a win out from under him???? thats so stupid.

its football, you get dinged up and you get hurt up some, ITS FOOTBALL. thats the chance you take.

as it turns out, shaw is fine, he gets a win, spurrier comes out to be right again.

cant wait for the next thread like this.
2 points to consider....using your logic, why didn't Clowney play. And Shaw is not OK. We don't know what is ankle will be like next week.....we don't even know what's wrong with it.
But based on his passing today, it hurt like hell to throw because he had a hard time pushing off to get any velocity on his throws.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #60
UndercoverCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000000
UndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
Get real!
This is the least thought provoking and unhelpful post. Pretty much ever.