CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Acockolypse Now
sporkgod50
COCKYTALKIN
StormOfTalons
b381l
thekob
Rooster'srule
auslander
davisd9
An Aggies View of th (1532)
Elcid99 (1466)
Tennessee (1060)
Erin Murray's brothe (667)
Question on Student (621)
Clowney in Practice (530)
Bad movies that are (450)
Camp scheduled relea (420)
John Abraham DUI (388)
PSU drops a prospect (310)
PSU drops a prospect beca
Best Offensive "Trip
Mizzou WR suspended for s
Green and Lammons
Elcid99
John Abraham DUI
2015 - Zack Bailey
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Travelle Warton retires
Tennessee

Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #41
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Maryland and Rutgers In Serious Discussion with Big 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacitynate View Post
I've read there's a 'gentleman's agreement' between the SEC prez/ads not to bring in new schools from states which are already represented in the conference. I think GaTech would especially be a long shot, as that might weaken UGAs position (e.g. in recruiting) - and we all know how the central office loves UGA. UNC would be a great addition, but with their basketball tradition in the ACC, I would bet against that one, too. I'd be fine with either UVA or VaTech, and like I say the latter appeals to a broader market.
I don't know about a gentleman's agreement, but SC, Fla, KY, Ga, Tenn have an agreement that says they will veto any team put up in one of their states.

Last edited by b381l; 11-18-2012 at 04:35 PM.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #42
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Serious question what does everyone consider yankees. To me it the northeast nothing west of Pennsylvania.
Also, Florida, Atlanta, and North Carolina.
doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #43
scfanz
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

Other than TV markets, Maryland and Rutgers bring nothing to the Big 10/12. If they add those two middle the pack members, they should change their name to the 'Not So Big 14'.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #44
LibertarianCock
Walk On

Male

LibertarianCock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacitynate View Post
I've read there's a 'gentleman's agreement' between the SEC prez/ads not to bring in new schools from states which are already represented in the conference. I think GaTech would especially be a long shot, as that might weaken UGAs position (e.g. in recruiting) - and we all know how the central office loves UGA. UNC would be a great addition, but with their basketball tradition in the ACC, I would bet against that one, too. I'd be fine with either UVA or VaTech, and like I say the latter appeals to a broader market.
While I agree VA Tech is, at this point, is the more likely of the 2 possible schools from VA, I would argue that UVA is a better fit for a lot of reasons. 1st, As we all know UVA is a very prestigious and pretentious school; I know this first hand as most of my family, excluding myself, are graduates. There is some serious money waiting in the winds to be spent by boosters from this school and they are hungry for success. VA Tech has maxed out in this category. I believe there is about the same, if not a bigger following of UVA than VA Tech, Uva fans just havent seen success, in this regard they are very similar to USC when we joined the SEC. 2nd, as the SEC will continue to dominate the CFB rankings academics will come under more scrutiny and UVA would be a potential role model for other schools in the SEC as they consistently have the top, if not close to the top, GPA of all CFB teams every single year. Third, and most important in my mind, the southern history, heritage and traditions of UVA are much more ingrained and colorful than the Hookies. VA Tech fans are very similar to Taters, UVA is school with class. Fth, their uniforms and colors are much, much better than Tech's. 5th, it would be years before UVA would be competitive in FB which keeps USC in a stronger position in the east. Lastly, we are the top, and only, birds in the SEC, who wants to see a battle of the chickens every year (yes, i know they are turkeys but this is what the joke will be)?
LibertarianCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #45
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertarianCock View Post
While I agree VA Tech is, at this point, is the more likely of the 2 possible schools from VA, I would argue that UVA is a better fit for a lot of reasons. 1st, As we all know UVA is a very prestigious and pretentious school; I know this first hand as most of my family, excluding myself, are graduates. There is some serious money waiting in the winds to be spent by boosters from this school and they are hungry for success. VA Tech has maxed out in this category. I believe there is about the same, if not a bigger following of UVA than VA Tech, Uva fans just havent seen success, in this regard they are very similar to USC when we joined the SEC. 2nd, as the SEC will continue to dominate the CFB rankings academics will come under more scrutiny and UVA would be a potential role model for other schools in the SEC as they consistently have the top, if not close to the top, GPA of all CFB teams every single year. Third, and most important in my mind, the southern history, heritage and traditions of UVA are much more ingrained and colorful than the Hookies. VA Tech fans are very similar to Taters, UVA is school with class. Fth, their uniforms and colors are much, much better than Tech's. 5th, it would be years before UVA would be competitive in FB which keeps USC in a stronger position in the east. Lastly, we are the top, and only, birds in the SEC, who wants to see a battle of the chickens every year (yes, i know they are turkeys but this is what the joke will be)?
Which North Carolina school would the SEC steal from the ACC? Can't have a team in Virginia and not one in NC.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #46
LibertarianCock
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
Which North Carolina school would the SEC steal from the ACC? Can't have a team in Virginia and not one in NC.
Agreed. Either NC State or UNC.... I don't have an opinion one way or the other. Was just sharing my opinon that UVA is a better option than VA Tech.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #47
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

State of VA went through a lot to get Va Tech in th same conference as UVA.
Do you think they'll let them leave?

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #48
LibertarianCock
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
I'm not familiar with what the state of VA did or did not do to encourage/help VA Tech to join to the ACC. From what I remember the drama at that time revolved more around Miami and Boston College.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #49
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertarianCock View Post
Agreed. Either NC State or UNC.... I don't have an opinion one way or the other. Was just sharing my opinon that UVA is a better option than VA Tech.
UNC will never leave the ACC.....it will be NC State. I've talked to a few well-connected State Alums in the last couple of months and they say State is ready to bolt the ACC. They don't think the ACC will ever be able to compete with the other 4
big conferences, and eventually, the ACC's less money for their members will bring down the conference.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #50
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
I live in Virginia, and if Tech tried to leave the ACC, there would be political chaos in VA, especially since it took the governor begging UVA to lobby to let them in.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #51
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

From Maryland's 247 site

Quote:
Who could join Maryland? Rutgers has been widely reported as being most likely to join Maryland in the Big 10. Sources also told IMS Georgia Tech would like to join. But we've also been told that the top remaining targets are North Carolina and Virginia.
http://maryland.247sports.com/Articl...-Big-10-102131

#LukeForMod

Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #52
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

I read on Twitter that Maryland is supposed to be voting on this tomorrow. I didn't realize it was that close.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #53
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Maryland has accepted the invite to join the Big 10 according to ESPN

LINK
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #54
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Good for them

Metalrush24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #55
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
Maryland has accepted the invite to join the Big 10 according to ESPN

LINK
Will be interesting to see if FSU sees this as its time to leave too.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #56
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

B1G went out and woke up with 2 kinds of crabs!
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #57
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

Guess we all know why free shoes u voted against the fifty million dollar buy out
Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #58
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
Will be interesting to see if FSU sees this as its time to leave too.
Them and Georgia Tech want out right now, from what I have seen on the Internet.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #59
CaptainCock91
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 495
CaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot material

What will happen next? They will definitely hunt someone down so that the Legends and Losers...erm, leaders division are even. Who is next? Rutgers? Someone else?

Possibilities that I could see are:

Iowa State, Kansas State (Both are Good Geographic fits, would have thought more so last season, when it looked like the Big 12-4+2 would disappear.) Virginia Tech (better SEC fit though), Cincinnati, Louisville.

Clemson is a good fit, just like the rest of the Big10+1+1+1, they always think they are the best team in the country because they were a powerhouse more than 30 years ago.

And what will happen to the ACC? FSU is rumored to be gone, but I don't know where they will go. UF, UGA, SC, and others will block entry into the SEC. Big 12 maybe?

And who takes Marylands spot? Probably UConn, or if they wanted to surprise everyone, USF. Rutgers is possible, if they don't go to the Big 10+1+1+1

Get ready for never-ending conference realignment.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #60
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Uconn is taking Maryland's spot.

#LukeForMod