CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
cocky0
gamecockgal
Spurticus
U-Dub Gamecock
JaxcockFL
b381l
75CarolinaFan
robgusc76
2000grad
JohnnyB21
Lattimore Sidelined (1829)
Gurley or Davis (1739)
Steve Spurrier - Say (1245)
A house just blew up (650)
South Carolina Footb (548)
Marines confront fak (394)
Man Murders neighbor (274)
Gators brag on Clown (231)
Ryan Wood leaving P& (217)
2014-15 Premier Leag (153)
Southern Miss player char
Gators brag on Clowney
Predict TAMU 2014
Signee James Thompson arr
Minda Kacinas Q&A - G
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
2015 - Dallas Warmack - A
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
Green and Lammons
Need 4 Tickets for UGA GA

Old 11-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #61
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76
Default Re: Can someone explain to me the rationale behind starting Shaw today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I agree. SOS sat Clowney. I guess he must think Clowney is more valuable to the team next week than Shaw.
Or it could be because Clowney has a foot issue, and the offense we were playing utilizes cut blocking a majority of the time. Theres a little more depth at D-End.

Man I hope u were being sarcastic.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #62
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2940
4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit

Hindsight's 20/20 but you can't overlook any team, maybe he shouldn't have played as much as he did and I'm sure SOS wasn't planning on him playing that much but I doubt he thought the game would stay that close for so long
4Ever2Thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #63
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit

Let's say hypothetically that SOS did start Dylan and the game wound up closer or we even ended up getting upset, SOS would be catching hell from you and everyone else for arrogantly overlooking wofford and benching our starting qb with a minor injury
Old 11-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #64
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Or it could be because Clowney has a foot issue, and the offense we were playing utilizes cut blocking a majority of the time. Theres a little more depth at D-End.

Man I hope u were being sarcastic.
How dare you come in here and bring logic and reasoning to this discussion Rob lol
Old 11-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #65
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Ever2Thee View Post
How dare you come in here and bring logic and reasoning to this discussion Rob lol
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #66
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
what a pointless thread.

he started because he is our STARTING QB.
he started because he is our BEST QB.
he started because you dont sit your BEST PLAYERS just to do it.
he started because HE DESERVES IT!!

why would you take a win out from under him???? thats so stupid.

its football, you get dinged up and you get hurt up some, ITS FOOTBALL. thats the chance you take.

as it turns out, shaw is fine, he gets a win, spurrier comes out to be right again.

cant wait for the next thread like this.
Listen, if all things were equal, then of course Shaw would be the starter just by virtue of being the best QB on our roster. But they weren't, and they still aren't. Shaw is still hobbling around. Based on their respective performances this year, what makes you beiieve that a hobbled Shaw is the better move?

Also, his personal win total is of absolutely no significance in this, at least I certainly hope not. One players win totals should not factor in to any decision making by the head coach. The team comes first, always.
Ownage McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #67
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Ever2Thee View Post
Let's say hypothetically that SOS did start Dylan and the game wound up closer or we even ended up getting upset, SOS would be catching hell from you and everyone else for arrogantly overlooking wofford and benching our starting qb with a minor injury
Here's the problem with that: Your scenario is very unlikely to take place, whereas mine is very likely.

The chances of DT not getting it done against Wofford: Low.

The chances of Shaw limping around Death Valley next week because he hasn't given his foot time to heal: High.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #68
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
I was there, we had receivers open all day long, but CS doesn't go through his progressions and he is very, very tentative in throwing the ball. His game is to look at one receiver, think, "He's not open" and take off. That is what he has always done, and it is what he will always do.

We're betting heavily on Connor Mitch next season.
A lot of times the "open" receiver is the third or forth option on the routes. I know when they kept lining up with the three receiver set and Ellington was alone on the short side he was open a lot but the progression was Ace, slot, TE, RB and then Ellington. As poor as the left side of the oline played yesterday Shaw had time to see Ace and then the DE grabbing for him. Yesterday was by far the worst the oline has played all season and no QB was going to have time to go through reads behind that unit.

I have defended the oline all season but after watching them get manhandled and beaten like a drum yesterday against Wofford that's it. There was no excuse for them to keep getting pushed back and confused the way they were playing guys they had 100lbs on. I know they've been coached to zone block and they didn't do that much yesterday but they should still be able to impose their will against Wofford and they didn't.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #69
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
This brings up an interesting point. Why were our receivers never open today against a very poor defensive secondary. The truth is, they were open, but Shaw didn't either have enough time, (he was sacked 5 times) or it hurt to throw off his bad foot and he couldn't get enough on the throw. We did not throw at any TE today. Our OL was not good. But considering Shaw's terrible pick in the first half (receiver was wide open behind their LB) and Davis fumble on the 5 yard line, we should have been up 21-7 at half. If we play like this next week, our 3 year run will be over.
We did throw at Justice and he over threw him. Once by shaw and once by Ace.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #70
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
We have played Wofford twice before (who ran the same offense then, too) while SOS has been here and both times we played poorly and were fortunate to win. To expect this time to be much different would be foolish or hopeful, at best. SOS also knew we would likely have few offensive possessions of the ball and needed the most experienced and best QB to maximize our chances to score, especially if our "D" struggled to stop the option.

If we had gotten off to a better start, Shaw probably would have been pulled once the game was in hand.
Have you never considered that Shaw is the reason we could not get the game "in hand"??
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #71
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Spurrier is running a game on Clemson. They will prepare for Connor at QB
but DT will get the start.
Praying.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #72
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Have you never considered that Shaw is the reason we could not get the game "in hand"??
I'd say the poor play of the Oline, especially the left side, had far more to do with it.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #73
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
A lot of times the "open" receiver is the third or forth option on the routes. I know when they kept lining up with the three receiver set and Ellington was alone on the short side he was open a lot but the progression was Ace, slot, TE, RB and then Ellington. As poor as the left side of the oline played yesterday Shaw had time to see Ace and then the DE grabbing for him. Yesterday was by far the worst the oline has played all season and no QB was going to have time to go through reads behind that unit.

I have defended the oline all season but after watching them get manhandled and beaten like a drum yesterday against Wofford that's it. There was no excuse for them to keep getting pushed back and confused the way they were playing guys they had 100lbs on. I know they've been coached to zone block and they didn't do that much yesterday but they should still be able to impose their will against Wofford and they didn't.

I agree with your post.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #74
burr
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
No, it's because Shaw's dad and Spurrier are friends maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownage McGee View Post
I'd be lying if I said I've never wondered that, but I have to give SOS the benefit of the doubt that he wouldn't sacrifice what's best for the program in order to play favorites.
QB starter in '07 (?) for one game, maybe first qtr. Cant remember his name but he pretty much transferred back to Virginia and played atta small school. just sayin
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #75
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Beecher
Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #76
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

No idea why he played at all or why the coaches thought we needed him vs resting up for a much bigger game. My feeling is that they still have the opinion that his injury can't get any worse - as was stated earlier in the year about his shoulder. The guy never had a cannon arm but it is noticeably weaker, very obvious from some of his short of "floated" passes last week. Now, his foot injury has drastically reduced the threat of the run and there is no real need for opposind defenses to fear his feet or his arm. He should have been rested this week. DT could have done just as much in the Wofford game to win and get Shaw some rest. I too saw WRs running open, even with time Shaw either didn't or just can't make the throw. Of course, most of the time he's afraid because our OL couldn't protect him vs probably the weakest DL we'll face.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #77
Factorynew
On Walk

Male

Factorynew is sharpening his clawsFactorynew is sharpening his clawsFactorynew is sharpening his clawsFactorynew is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by scz71864 View Post
lets get real. We ran the ball the whole day. DT could hand the ball off just fine i think
^ ^
Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #78
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiggestSpur View Post
Seeing Shaw bounce around like he is on a pogo stick is getting real old
being 9-2 never gets old.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #79
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3462
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think the Wofford line kind of resembled Vandy's in that they are small and quick where our line is geared to blocking big fast SEC DLs. I think we fare better against the taters. I also think Shaw should probably have sat out yesterday. Its kind of evident that his shoulder and foot are not allowing him to pass accurately. Even many of the passes he hit weren't really on target. I'm not sure which foot is hurt but I know if you can't push off your right foot it affects your passes. The good thing is that everytime you count Shaw out he usually responds in a big way. Hopefully that will be the case next week-end.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #80
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

I'm so sick of hearing about Shaw's record as a QB. Yes, he does have a great record, but let's be real here. If we had even an average defense a lot of those W's would be L's. I know that's not a popular thing to say but it's true. So yeah his record is a bright spot but we have to be honest when we discuss it. There is a lot more to it than just the numbers.