CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Aggie96
Gamecocks1137
jebodiah
b381l
Gamecock in TX
Acockolypse Now
cockycrazy2001
jellafever
Cockypantherfan
Vote for Browns star (3046)
texags (2553)
Shaw Lighting Up Bro (2219)
2016 Commitment - Ja (1807)
Preparing for the sm (1436)
Connor Shaw intervie (876)
Gameday Garnet Polo (717)
Aggie Statistics (688)
Clowney (688)
They are coming to y (488)
What would be your defini
texags
Vote for Browns starting
They are coming to your c
QB Kenny Hill named start
Gameday Garnet Polo
Preparing for the smash r
Clowney
Aggie Statistics
Connor Shaw interviewed a


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
cofcgamecock9
Banned
 
cofcgamecock9's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,963
CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

Quote:
Originally Posted by scargamecocks87 View Post
In the last few weeks many top three teams have been favored by 17+ some at home and still lost. Just saying
That may be.. It happens. But statistically the team favored by two TDs or more wins about 90% of the time.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
Cocknfire55
Blue Chip
 
Cocknfire55's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbia
Posts: 984
CockyCash: 244
Cocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

Quote:
Originally Posted by scargamecocks87 View Post
In the last few weeks many top three teams have been favored by 17+ some at home and still lost. Just saying
If you look at all games in CFB and take just the double digit favorites, about 10% of the time those teams lost, so it works out in Vegas' favor. Vegas is remarkably efficient.
Cocknfire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #23
cbx79
Walk On
 
cbx79's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Camden SC
Posts: 49
CockyCash: 200
cbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurs
Send a message via MSN to cbx79
Default Re: Opening line

Two weeks ago the early line favored Carolina by 3 haven't checked lately.
cbx79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #24
jared
Two Deep
 
jared's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: newberry
Posts: 1,223
CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb
Default Re: Opening line

Well hell, if Clemson is favored, we might as well just not even play it then.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #25
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC
 
Cockholio's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Goose Creek
Posts: 3,810
CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

I'd think something like CU -6 to start, and if that doesn't get the bet's rolling, they'll tighten it up. Clowney news of being questionable for this weekend may have an impact on the spread as well.
__________________
Cockholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #26
rosstheboss
Diehard
 
rosstheboss's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Columbia,SC
Posts: 6,652
CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

ive seen online clemson -4
__________________
2013 Alum. 5-0 vs Clemson
rosstheboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #27
g_wood
Walk On
 
g_wood's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greenwood, SC
Posts: 8
CockyCash: 500
g_wood is sharpening his clawsg_wood is sharpening his clawsg_wood is sharpening his clawsg_wood is sharpening his claws
Send a message via Yahoo to g_wood
Default Re: Opening line

Just came out with an opening line of Clemmons at -4
g_wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #28
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC
 
treys1986's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hartsville
Posts: 4,479
CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

Sounds fair.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #29
cofcgamecock9
Banned
 
cofcgamecock9's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,963
CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_wood View Post
Just came out with an opening line of Clemmons at -4
Statistically, Clemson has a 62% chance of winning and we have a 38% chance of winning. This is based on a study that was done that look at point spreads based over MANY games and the percentages that games were won both home and away.

A 4 point home favorite wins 62% of the time.

Hard to believe how seasons progress, etc. Who would have thought a month ago that Clemson would be favored by more at home than LSU or Florida was favored against SC??
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
Herbie3
Bowl MVP
 
Herbie3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orangeburg
Posts: 2,310
CockyCash: 13641
Herbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot material
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Statistically, Clemson has a 62% chance of winning and we have a 38% chance of winning. This is based on a study that was done that look at point spreads based over MANY games and the percentages that games were won both home and away.

A 4 point home favorite wins 62% of the time.

Hard to believe how seasons progress, etc. Who would have thought a month ago that Clemson would be favored by more at home than LSU or Florida was favored against SC??
Lattimore.
Herbie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #31
pantera17
Banned
 
pantera17's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Columbia SC
Posts: 12,053
CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Statistically, Clemson has a 62% chance of winning and we have a 38% chance of winning. This is based on a study that was done that look at point spreads based over MANY games and the percentages that games were won both home and away.

A 4 point home favorite wins 62% of the time.

Hard to believe how seasons progress, etc. Who would have thought a month ago that Clemson would be favored by more at home than LSU or Florida was favored against SC??
This is depressing
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #32
peterlemon
Game MVP
 
peterlemon's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,806
CockyCash: 500
peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit
Default Re: Opening line

Carolina has been a 3 to 4 point favorite or underdog in the last three games against Clemson. That was the line in 2009 and we beat them by 17. Three point favorite in 2010 and won by 22. 4 point favorite last year and won by 18.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #33
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year
 
75CarolinaFan's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,757
CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
Carolina has been a 3 to 4 point favorite or underdog in the last three games against Clemson. That was the line in 2009 and we beat them by 17. Three point favorite in 2010 and won by 22. 4 point favorite last year and won by 18.
This is exciting!
__________________

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #34
b381l
Heisman Winner
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 22,148
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

How much does the line change when Morris is announced the head coach at Tennessee on Wednesday.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #35
renegade_doc
Banned
 
renegade_doc's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greenville
Posts: 624
CockyCash: 400
renegade_doc has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Opening line

Well, I called it months ago. Looks like GCG owes me the first of two sig bets she's about to lose.
renegade_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #36
peterlemon
Game MVP
 
peterlemon's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,806
CockyCash: 500
peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit
Default Re: Opening line

The highest line I have seen in this series since 2002 was in 2006 we were 5.5 point underdogs. Every year the line is basically 3 to 4 points one way or the other.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #37
cofcgamecock9
Banned
 
cofcgamecock9's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,963
CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
Carolina has been a 3 to 4 point favorite or underdog in the last three games against Clemson. That was the line in 2009 and we beat them by 17. Three point favorite in 2010 and won by 22. 4 point favorite last year and won by 18.
Yep, and that is why the favorite doesn't win 100% of the time and why the games are played.

I was just stating that statistically, with a large enough sample size, a 4 point favorite at home wins 62% of the time.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #38
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American
 
U-Dub Gamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: From Lake Stevens, WA...now reside in Chapin, SC
Posts: 12,166
CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade_doc View Post
Well, I called it months ago. Looks like GCG owes me the first of two sig bets she's about to lose.

Im sure you are a man of your word.. (Note sacrasm)...
__________________
Just a lost Dawg from the 425.
U-Dub Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #39
Cocknfire55
Blue Chip
 
Cocknfire55's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbia
Posts: 984
CockyCash: 244
Cocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot materialCocknfire55 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Opening line

This is just the opening line.
Cocknfire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #40
jared
Two Deep
 
jared's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: newberry
Posts: 1,223
CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb
Default Re: Opening line

Some of you really think we only have a 38% chance of winning just because of past teams games that the line was -4??? That is so stupid. What do you those other teams and games have to do with our game on Saturday? NOTHING.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development