CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
WeStillOwnUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
gamecock88
Yearofthegamecock
TAFC 5 1981
LeeSC
SpurProsecutor
Kentucky prediction (1976)
Just Booked my Hotel (1330)
Best position coach (693)
So What? (663)
The New Idea That'll (651)
Waldrop doubtful for (583)
We Have A New KO Guy (458)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (386)
So What? (245)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (238)
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
Thoughts on the basketbal
If we loose to Kensucky..
Best position coach or co
What fish do you eat
I'm over the loss, but...
Kentucky prediction
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
UK promoting a blackout f
Looking for 2 for Kentuck

Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #21
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Re: Our QB play will determine outcome..

Even when Connor does get good protection, often times he still seems hesitant and will bail out of the pocket prematurely.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #22
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

So what do you guys think happened against Wofford? Again, Connor did just fine against UT and Ark which were the two weeks previous. Even Spurrier said that Connor had made solid improvements and was doing exactly what was asked of him. No, he didn't play like Peyton Manning, but the Connor that played against UT and Ark wins us the game 90% of the time.

So what happened against Wofford? Do you guys have any idea? I know the O-line didn't play great, but it hasn't played great all year. He just seemed to really regress. Is there something I am missing? His foot was bothering him against UT and Arkansas.

I am just looking for some hope that he will play against Clemson the way he played for the past few weeks previous to Wofford. I don't think he has to play great, just get rid of the ball.

No flames against Connor please. I completely trust HBC to know who is the best option and Connor has done just fine. I am just wondering what happened to him against Wofford.

And he was 16 of 20, so maybe I am being too hard on him? Was his performance better than I am giving him credit for? He just seemed to play really bad overall.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Wofford had smaller quick guys that looked a lot like Vandy attacking our line. I think we should have just lined up in the I and pounded them similar to what we did in the second half against Ky. And to be honest, Shaw had a TD when he underthrew for the int. and Ace had Justice wide open and missed him which would have put us up 21 -0. It might have been a completely different game then. Its the difference between 24-7 and 38-7.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #24
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

^Justice wasn't wide open on that play. There were a couple defenders in coverage right underneath him. Ace is not a QB and he would have had to throw a perfect pass to squeeze that ball in there. He did the safe thing by throwing it where the defense could not make a play.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #25
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Since it applies to this thread, just read that Clemson's only new injury going into this game is cornerback Brashaud Breeland. Supposedly, at least according to one Clemson guy on Twitter, he is their best cover guy. Dabo called him doubtful for Saturday.

I wonder how big of an impact this will be? We all know they are bad, but does anyone follow Clemson closely enough to know if losing Breeland would be much of an impact?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #26
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Even when Connor does get good protection, often times he still seems hesitant and will bail out of the pocket prematurely.
If Connor runs the zone read well, we will rack up yards. I think since his foot has been hurt, he has been hesitant to run the ball with authority. If he runs the ball well, we will chew up yards and clock. And keep the ball away from Clempson. I think this is the key. Plus hitting tight ends on the drag routes. We have an advantage on the tigger LBs. We should be able to exploit it.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #27
boonyg
Recruit

Male

boonyg has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Since it applies to this thread, just read that Clemson's only new injury going into this game is cornerback Brashaud Breeland. Supposedly, at least according to one Clemson guy on Twitter, he is their best cover guy. Dabo called him doubtful for Saturday.

I wonder how big of an impact this will be? We all know they are bad, but does anyone follow Clemson closely enough to know if losing Breeland would be much of an impact?
I don't think it matters. Their pass coverage is just plain terrible. If connor can throw to the guys wearing the right jerseys he should have a very good day. Against state yesterday there were HUGE holes in their coverage. They are ok against the run until they wear down in the 2nd half due to being on the field too much.. They can't get pressure or stop the run with their front 4 so they pretty much always bring corners or linebackers on a blitz which helps on run support some but leaves them badly exposed in pass coverage. If we can't play pitch and catch saturday we are not a good offensive team.
boonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #28
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Connor owned Clemsuck last year and he will again.All the guy does is win, broken bones and all.I'm hearing Clowney may break the rock when he sacks boyd upon it.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #29
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I think there are three keys to our winning, quarterback play, play calling, and linebacker play. If Conner executes and throws and runs with confidence we can keep and move the ball. If we call more possession passes and use the tight ends, use some I and Hback, and use some play action with wheel routes and deep routes, we can wear down their defense. If our linebackers make solid tackles (Ellington is good), cover the short dropoffs, and lay the wood early in the game, we can keep deep coverage with our safeties and maybe get multiple picks. If any of those three keys fall through, we will struggle, and could get way behind.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #30
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Sitting here watching replay of SC Clemson game from last year.

All I have to say is that we need Shaw to be able to run. His foot is pissing me off. LOL.

He looks so damn quick watching him play when he is healthy. Man, he looks so different in this game than he has the last few weeks. I know he is one hell of a competitor, but his foot has to be bothering him bad.

He is bouncing around and absolutely shredding Clemson's defense when he gets a lane.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #31
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Sitting here watching replay of SC Clemson game from last year.

All I have to say is that we need Shaw to be able to run. His foot is pissing me off. LOL.

He looks so damn quick watching him play when he is healthy. Man, he looks so different in this game than he has the last few weeks. I know he is one hell of a competitor, but his foot has to be bothering him bad.

He is bouncing around and absolutely shredding Clemson's defense when he gets a lane.
Was a huge strength that we take away when we force him to stay in the pocket. Definitely sucks he's not 100%.
75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #32
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Yep, to beat Clemson you need to be able to throw the ball across the middle and deep
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #33
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I think there are three keys to our winning, quarterback play, play calling, and linebacker play. If Conner executes and throws and runs with confidence we can keep and move the ball. If we call more possession passes and use the tight ends, use some I and Hback, and use some play action with wheel routes and deep routes, we can wear down their defense. If our linebackers make solid tackles (Ellington is good), cover the short dropoffs, and lay the wood early in the game, we can keep deep coverage with our safeties and maybe get multiple picks. If any of those three keys fall through, we will struggle, and could get way behind.
I agree, but I think Connor is hurt worse than we know.....he looked like a different QB than at UT and Arky games. The TE have been getting a bunch of balls and he didn't throw even one to them against Wofford.....makes no sense.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #34
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I believe the line to beat is 30.....if we can keep the taters under that, we'll win.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #35
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I agree, but I think Connor is hurt worse than we know.....he looked like a different QB than at UT and Arky games. The TE have been getting a bunch of balls and he didn't throw even one to them against Wofford.....makes no sense.

Yep. Like I stated in the thread that I started about him, my first thought when I saw him was "oh no". I should add that he walked out of the x-ray room barefoot so I could see his limp really well.

I sure hope he can rest it and play his heart out against Clemson.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #36
Pappop
Starter

Male

Pappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talons

It is hard to understand the TE's having a great game and then nothing the following week.
It really is not making sense that we seem to see a different offense weekly.
Pappop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #37
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

sooooooooooooo, CofC, what you are saying is that if connor plays like he did in the tenn and arkie games, we will win. am i getting that right? because i think that is what you are saying, but just want to have you confirm this. i think you have been a little ambiguous about this point...
snoopcockycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #38
jellafever
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

I would say the secondary play is just as important as the QB play.
jellafever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #39
USC3027
Walk On

Male

USC3027 has hatched from the shell

Turnovers are the key.

If we don't have any...we win.

If we have them....winning may questionable.

We must protect the ball.....period!
USC3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #40
CU_Tigers4Life
Recruit

Male

CU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervous

Last week, Clemson faced a guy that will be an NFL QB in Glennon....fortunately. It was good preparation going into this game.........I expect Clemson to blitz him a lot early to see how he handles the pressure and hits.....If Clemson is able to affect his accuracy early and force bad plays, we can really do some serious damage...If Shaw is hot and makes plays it will be a barn burner....

USC will not stop our offense. You may slow it down but like another poster said, your goal should be to hold us under 30. If we have around 40 offensive plays in the first half with points in the 20's we are going to eat you up in the second half.

USC needs to hold Clemson to under 20 points in the first half with less than 30 offensive snaps.
CU_Tigers4Life is offline   Reply With Quote