CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
TAFC 5 1981
gamecockgal
WeStill0wnUSC
sanford
garnet_black215
rdwylie
MWard
B-G
75CarolinaFan
Vic Beasley On Clown (1696)
Another A&M aggi (1351)
Predict Clemson 2014 (1268)
ACC Wants Helmet Com (673)
Asheville/Spartanbur (438)
2016 - Terrance Davi (384)
Green and Lammons (376)
2016 - Anthony " (316)
It's Cover Two's bda (233)
2016 - Dontye Carrie (205)
SEC Coaches on the Hot Se
2015 - Johnny Frasier
Another A&M aggie off
Georgia Defensive returni
Green and Lammons
Official WWE Thread
Nashville
2015 - Albert Huggins
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
Predict Clemson 2014

Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #21
mater
Class of '02

Male

CockyCash: 100380
mater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot material
Default Re: USC Drops in BCS

The only thing that confuses me...

SCar lost to Fla and LSU on the road and beat the current #3 team(#5 at the time) at home.

aTm lost to Fla abd LSU at home and beat the current #2 team on the road.

both played FCS schools in week 13 and have the same record.

BUT...

SCAR drops to a .587 from .634

aTm drops from a .652 from .662

Dear God....can we please just get a playoff and end this madness.

"When a suitcase just won't do."
mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #22
BCWriter
Syvelle's Biggest Fan

Male

CockyCash: 500
BCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdnumbaone View Post
So they dropped us 3 spots for beating Wofford 24-7 and moved Florida up one for beating powerhouse Jacksonville State 23-0? uh...what?
Florida has one loss, we have two.

Next.
BCWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #23
phdnumbaone
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 572
phdnumbaone has earned his spursphdnumbaone has earned his spursphdnumbaone has earned his spursphdnumbaone has earned his spursphdnumbaone has earned his spursphdnumbaone has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWriter View Post
Florida has one loss, we have two.

Next.
That's not my point. It's not about UF being ranked ahead of us, it's about them moving up and we dropped 3 by beating similar opponents, hell wofford would probably beat Jacksonville state.
phdnumbaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #24
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdnumbaone View Post
That's not my point. It's not about UF being ranked ahead of us, it's about them moving up and we dropped 3 by beating similar opponents, hell wofford would probably beat Jacksonville state.
The computers just take into account whether you win or lose. Before all the upsets they were third in those, after them they moved to 2 (since the other teams lost a game)

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

There is no way FLA should have moved up that far.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #26
gcockwilliam
4-Star

Male

gcockwilliam has hatched from the shell

If Notre Dame loses to USC God help us, Florida could play for the championship game?
gcockwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #27
curious1
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
curious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot materialcurious1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdave View Post
Anyone else like being the underdog?

Yes! One of my favorite movie quotes was from Young Guns, as one William Bonnie said, "heck, a lotta slup, twixt a lip and a cup, never tell me the odds!"

JD Clowney says...."I'm PulverizingThat Athlete Yonder!

*last 5 years 155-71=STATE CHAMPS!
curious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #28
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcockwilliam View Post
If Notre Dame loses to USC God help us, Florida could play for the championship game?
Oregon would have to not win the Pac12 championship.

Which could be possible, because if Stanford beats UCLA they will not be going to the PAC 12 championship

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #29
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Bring on the playoffs!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #30
carolinafan111

Male

CockyCash: 912910367
carolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Oregon would have to not win the Pac12 championship.

Which could be possible, because if Stanford beats UCLA they will not be going to the PAC 12 championship
you answered your own statement lol

i expect stanford to beat UCLA.. and then play UCLA in the championship game

33 games attended in a row (26-7 in that stretch)
carolinafan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #31
gcockwilliam
4-Star

Male

gcockwilliam has hatched from the shell

Well I heard Barkley is out next week. But is the fighting irish ready to be in this position? Even without Barkley its USC.
gcockwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #32
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I guess it could be worse. At least we have an SEC win and our coach didn't get fired for losing to Vandy.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #33
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

yeah, you've got to wonder, even with us playing wofford, a championship team btw, how we could have only lost to lsu and uf on the road, and even though we keep winning, we keep falling?
conversely, kansas st gets absolutely demolished by an unranked baylor, and is still in the top ten??????? someone please explain this to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the bcs is soooooo screwed, that even though we will have a playoff now, it not happening immediately is still frustrating as hell.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #34
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Even with the playoff a formula close to the BCS system will be used to select the 4 teams. I know there is talk of a selection committee but much like the basketball tourney they have all kinds of computer formulas that they use to make decisions. The BCS computers are changing their formulas or moving teams around as some kind of conspiracy theory. The later in the season you get the more the performances of the teams you beat impact your standings. The reality is outside of Georgia none of the teams we beat have done anything to help our standings. We've built our record beating a lot of bad teams and it's starting to show in the computer formulas.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #35
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

We're pretty much out of the BCS conversation at this point.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #36
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3462
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Even with the playoff a formula close to the BCS system will be used to select the 4 teams. I know there is talk of a selection committee but much like the basketball tourney they have all kinds of computer formulas that they use to make decisions. The BCS computers are changing their formulas or moving teams around as some kind of conspiracy theory. The later in the season you get the more the performances of the teams you beat impact your standings. The reality is outside of Georgia none of the teams we beat have done anything to help our standings. We've built our record beating a lot of bad teams and it's starting to show in the computer formulas.
It doesn't seem to be hurting uga very much.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #37
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I'm thinking that if the HBC didn't give up all those garbage TD's against Mizzou, UAB, ut, and Aky, we might still be in the top 10.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #38
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

A few weeks ago I would have said that we would KILL Clemson this season for our 4th straight. Even post the Florida game which was just an anomaly, I figured we'd still kill Clemson. Clemson nor anyone else in the ACC can play defense. So I still felt even after the Arkansas game that we'd kill Clemson.

Now, with the way that our offense is playing and the way that Spurrier is calling plays...I think we'll lose this one. I think it COULD be a huge win for Clem-Tech. However I lean towards this being a game where our defense keeps it close for a half with our offense scoring some...but our defense simply running out of gas because of our inept offense.

Kickoff coverage will probably be a factor as well. All in all I think Clemson wins this one by 14 or more mostly in the 4th quarter. I'm pissed to be thinking this way, but Clemson has weapons and we evidently don't. We are the FAR BETTER defense even if Clowney can't play, but our offense sucks. Play calling sucks, and our QB has been making poor decisions of late. He hands off when he should keep it, he keeps it when he should hand off and he's resorted to throwing desperation passes. He's taking sacks when he shouldn't and our receivers either are not getting open or Shaw can't find them. Spurrier hints that it's a little of both, but doesn't change QBS or receivers to see if something different would occur. Kenny Miles is a great running back and he's perhaps the only offensive player who is playing up to his full potential. I think the Tight Ends are great but we only remember that they exist every few games. Wide receivers are running lengthy patterns that our oline can't block worth a crap for.

I think our inept offense dooms us on this one. All in all with the schedule that we played and our conservation and stubborn play calling this season I think 9-3 isn't bad. Depending on the bowl a 10-3 or 9-4 season isn't bad either.

Perhaps the easier schedule next season along with some challenge for starters at QB and a good defense should make for an easier run at the SEC. Frankly I think we'll be better on defense next year with Clowney and Sutton and the dline. Sutton has outplayed Taylor in my opinion.

If some of our receivers can run better routes and we find a way to fine an oline...maybe just maybe.

Hope that this USC team proves me wrong about Saturday, but I think this will be a crap weekend for Gamecock nation. Call me a debbie downer but I'm really just calling it as I see it. Truly hope I'm wrong.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #39
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 700
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
It doesn't seem to be hurting uga very much.
I was thinking the same thing! Was beating UF and losing to us really better than us beating them and losing to UF. No it is just in what order it happened!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #40
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 700
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
A few weeks ago I would have said that we would KILL Clemson this season for our 4th straight. Even post the Florida game which was just an anomaly, I figured we'd still kill Clemson. Clemson nor anyone else in the ACC can play defense. So I still felt even after the Arkansas game that we'd kill Clemson.

Now, with the way that our offense is playing and the way that Spurrier is calling plays...I think we'll lose this one. I think it COULD be a huge win for Clem-Tech. However I lean towards this being a game where our defense keeps it close for a half with our offense scoring some...but our defense simply running out of gas because of our inept offense.

Kickoff coverage will probably be a factor as well. All in all I think Clemson wins this one by 14 or more mostly in the 4th quarter. I'm pissed to be thinking this way, but Clemson has weapons and we evidently don't. We are the FAR BETTER defense even if Clowney can't play, but our offense sucks. Play calling sucks, and our QB has been making poor decisions of late. He hands off when he should keep it, he keeps it when he should hand off and he's resorted to throwing desperation passes. He's taking sacks when he shouldn't and our receivers either are not getting open or Shaw can't find them. Spurrier hints that it's a little of both, but doesn't change QBS or receivers to see if something different would occur. Kenny Miles is a great running back and he's perhaps the only offensive player who is playing up to his full potential. I think the Tight Ends are great but we only remember that they exist every few games. Wide receivers are running lengthy patterns that our oline can't block worth a crap for.

I think our inept offense dooms us on this one. All in all with the schedule that we played and our conservation and stubborn play calling this season I think 9-3 isn't bad. Depending on the bowl a 10-3 or 9-4 season isn't bad either.

Perhaps the easier schedule next season along with some challenge for starters at QB and a good defense should make for an easier run at the SEC. Frankly I think we'll be better on defense next year with Clowney and Sutton and the dline. Sutton has outplayed Taylor in my opinion.

If some of our receivers can run better routes and we find a way to fine an oline...maybe just maybe.

Hope that this USC team proves me wrong about Saturday, but I think this will be a crap weekend for Gamecock nation. Call me a debbie downer but I'm really just calling it as I see it. Truly hope I'm wrong.
You will be proven wrong! Don't judge offensive play calling for the option against what SOS will do for Klimpsun. He always tries to eat up the clock and pound pound pound the football against teams who run the option(exception being the Citadel last year) . WE WILL WIN!