CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
markymark550
Travelin
thumpin big
Cockhornleghorn
GamecockMomSC
Regalcock
We Have to Pass (2469)
Rivalry Thoughts and (2039)
Spurrier weekly pres (1578)
This would be awesom (1064)
How is Shaq Davidson (1011)
Perspective on our g (674)
Currently 2nd in att (591)
SEC referees? (534)
Defense and offense (422)
Black Friday Hard Co (323)
SEC referees?
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Alshon - Bose
Currently 2nd in attendan
Why has there been 40 yea
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
We Have to Pass
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
2015 Commitment - Dexter
**USC Women vs. Clemson G

Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material
Default Re: Will Clemson ever join the SEC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
...I asked about this also ....The way it is explained to me is ....if a member of the conference doesnt want them in it is not going to happen....ei...fsu....they had enough votes to get in but Flawda was not having any of it.....The invite was squashed completely and never discussed again....Same with Louisville....KY said hell no the SEC said done..UL dont get in...
I think it has more to do with an unwritten rule there. Florida, Georgia, USC, Kentucky all have out-of-conference rivals and with four no votes for the other rivals the number couldn't have reached 3/4 majority. However, with TAMU and Mizzou now I'm not sure how that would workout, but I'm sure Mizzou nor TAMU want to rock the boat on this issue so early on.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #22
GamecockALAN
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 479
GamecockALAN rules the CockPitGamecockALAN rules the CockPitGamecockALAN rules the CockPitGamecockALAN rules the CockPitGamecockALAN rules the CockPitGamecockALAN rules the CockPitGamecockALAN rules the CockPitGamecockALAN rules the CockPitGamecockALAN rules the CockPitGamecockALAN rules the CockPitGamecockALAN rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
...I asked about this also ....The way it is explained to me is ....if a member of the conference doesnt want them in it is not going to happen....ei...fsu....they had enough votes to get in but Flawda was not having any of it.....The invite was squashed completely and never discussed again....Same with Louisville....KY said hell no the SEC said done..UL dont get in...

"GamecockAlan while that is true Usc, Georgia, Florida, and Tenn all have a gentleman's agreement to not vote in their rival from my understanding.

Which means no GA tech, Florida ST, Clemson, or louisville" - RH Gamecock

Thanks guys that helps. I agree Clemson will not be part of the SEC - Go Cocks!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh Gamecock View Post
GamecockAlan while that is true Usc, Georgia, Florida, and Tenn all have a gentleman's agreement to not vote in their rival from my understanding.

Which means no GA tech, Florida ST, Clemson, or louisville
and as others have said Clemson brings nothing new.
Sorry...didn't see your post.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #24
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 200
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
I don't know if I believe all that...FSU not in the SEC?
..You have to remember that Flawda is protecting their product and recruiting tools just like we will...Same with Tenn. and KY....Plan and simple neither FSU nor klempzun stands a chance of getting into the SEC...
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #25
5lbYardcock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

Plus clemscum doesn't want to get a beat down every week like they are going to get this Saturday. Little whining bitches with overblown stats and fans.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #26
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

I understand it but I just don't understand why every time the SEC expatiation is mentioned, FSU & Clem are brought up.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I understand it but I just don't understand why every time the SEC expatiation is mentioned, FSU & Clem are brought up.
...You have to get to the bottom of the barrel in some time...
Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #28
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky98 View Post
I could see the SC legislature, with Haley leading, forcing USC to vote yes to Clemson joining. Similar to when UVA had to vote in Va Tech.
Don't think so. clemsux just deosn;t have that kinmd of legilative power any more. In addition, we have "Gentleman's Agreements" with several other SEC schools that will come into play.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
SwimCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

SwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
They are brought up since (1) the EZZ is weak in football so that conference, like the Big lEast, is ripe for pilfering, (2) F$U and Clemsux are the only 2 good football teams left in that conference now that Va Yech and Miami suck, (3) both of those programs would Love to move to another conference and crave an invitation (to make them feel wanted and relevant), and (4) as football schools, they know that Tobacco Road and hoops rule the EZZ. They are easy targets and might get an invite to the Big 12, although I expect Clemsux to be left behind by F$U who feels no allegiance to the taters and would probably prefer to wash their hands completely of the EZZ stench (and bad football stigma) if and when the Semiholes bolt.
SwimCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
gamecockjay
Blue Chip

Male

gamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPit

2 things could blow up the gentlemans agreement.

If Mike Slive wants it to happen then it will happen.
Never underestimate politicians... Anyone here think our fine Governor would force our hand??? If you dont think it would work then ask Virginia about it.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #31
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I don't even think we need a "gentleman's agreement", if such a thing exists. I think economic rationality takes care of it. Why expand if you're not going to get new revenue? We ain't in this for charity. New revenue means you need to add new TV markets, apparently, so there's no incentive to expand in a state where we've got a presence and certainly no incentive where we've already got the flagship university (i.e. SC, Florida and Georgia). If you were going to do it under any scenario you've got to with a highly populous state like Florida or Texas. Frankly the state of SC is lucky to have a team in the SEC.
LegalCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #32
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

No. they bring nothing to the table. VT on the other hand would work out.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #33
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Short answer-No.

Long answer-copied and pasted my responses from one of the threads the other day.

Ok, this comes from Clay Travis's write up about what the SEC Network could theoretically bring in. He discusses what the Big Ten Network gets.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/wh...rth-a-year.php

It doesn't matter whether the TV turns on the station one time, the Big Ten Network gets a cut of every household in their footprint. I am not sure how many households are in the Beltway, but every one that has a TV would be paying the 90 cent share to the Big Ten Network, as would every household in at least NJ and likely NYC. That is a lot more dollars.

It makes NO sense to add a team in a state that already has a representative in the conference (ie no FSU, Miami, Clemson, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU or Baylor) because the SEC Network (coming shortly) will already get the premium fee from the TV networks in the state. It makes sense for the conference to expand to new states (ie NC, VA) because it brings the network's premium fee to all the households in that state. That is why getting Texas and Missouri was so important, it expanded the household size of the SEC by 50%, therefore taking those millions of households and turning them from out of region households and turning them into in region households forcing the cable providers to pay more money. The SEC will only expand to states that it does not already have represented, which is why the common assumption is that if the SEC expands again it would grab a school in NC (probably NC State) and a school in Virginia (probably Virginia Tech).
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote