CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
RGHoskins
Master Bedroom
Kaka
gadeneer1986
donbgamecock
Emery
I Bleed Garnet
A. Pilgrim
Fight, win, kick a-- (1571)
The Gator Bowl wants (1306)
Why I'm hopeful abou (1234)
USC will upset Aubur (954)
A simple defensive l (891)
In-state QB talent (821)
Texas athletic direc (536)
Which loss hurt wors (472)
SEC Debate: Best can (427)
This is War (399)
The Gator Bowl wants us!
A simple defensive line &
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
BA ranks recruiting class
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
In-state QB talent
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Madrid vs Barca

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Gruden offered by Arkansas

His name comes up for every major coaching job at every level every year, yet he is still calling MNF games...I just don't see him taking a job, especially at the college level. I think he will go NFL if he really wants to get back into coaching
Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #22
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Will make this happen. Gruden's wife is ready to move home and be with her aging family. They have already been looking into schools in the Knoxville area for their kids.

The Arkansas rumors are just to get Gruden EVERYTHING he is asking from Tennessee (mainly an insane Assistant coach budget).

He is going to create an absolute recruiting powerhouse at TN.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Pride View Post
His name comes up for every major coaching job at every level every year, yet he is still calling MNF games...I just don't see him taking a job, especially at the college level. I think he will go NFL if he really wants to get back into coaching
His Tampa Bay buyout money runs out in December, so his monthly income is going to take a big hit in 2013.

It has been confirmed from NFL insiders (Mort, Jason La Confora) that he has been working the phones to assemble a staff and have been looking into coaches with recruiting experience. He has been studying the Oregon offense and is very strongly considering the college game over NFL.

Less work, just as much money. He can come in at the end of the recruiting process after his assistants do all the leg work, flash his Super Bowl ring and NFL connections and land the top talent in the nation.

It is going to be dirty.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #24
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 88700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
I dunno man, he's an offensive coach, and I don't remember their offense being anything special. i mean give it to dunn and alstott and get out of the way.
He had a pretty good offense while he was at the Raiders. But I agree, it never quite was too good at Tampa.
cockinraleigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
go cockssssss
Recruit

Male

go cockssssss is learning to peckgo cockssssss is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
His Tampa Bay buyout money runs out in December, so his monthly income is going to take a big hit in 2013.

It has been confirmed from NFL insiders (Mort, Jason La Confora) that he has been working the phones to assemble a staff and have been looking into coaches with recruiting experience. He has been studying the Oregon offense and is very strongly considering the college game over NFL.

Less work, just as much money. He can come in at the end of the recruiting process after his assistants do all the leg work, flash his Super Bowl ring and NFL connections and land the top talent in the nation.

It is going to be dirty.

Chargers are apparently going to go after Gruden after their terrible year and Gruden and their GM are best friends. If Fisher got 7 mil a year with the Rams with no super bowl, Gruden will get around there. There is no way it's the same money as UT can offer as your post indicates, UT cannot pay him remotely close to that. I doubt he wants to deal with the year long process of recruiting. The chargers are decent and not a project like UT. Plus the season has about 6 weeks left before Turner is fired and Gruden is forced a decision . I don't know if the Vols can wait that long in order to save this year's recruiting class.

Less work more money? No, it's probably more work less money dealing with boosters, recruiting, spring practice and the season.
go cockssssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #26
gamecockjay
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPit

I see your pilot travel center/garmin/peyton manning and raise you with

Granted there are no family ties but just wanted to point out that Arkansas can pay more than UT right now.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 66034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

PLEASE let this happen for UT...

God I want Gruden to be there... so much fail waiting to happen.

Love how Ericvol is "all in" for this hire

LMAO would love a coach with such little NCAA HC exp
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

The primary moderator on 8thMaxim.com came out a few weeks ago and said Gruden to UT was happening. He is pretty well-connected. Obviously, no one really knows for sure, but Vol Nation was running with it as well. It's basically a bidding war between UT and Arky right now.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #29
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

The way I look at it is like this, if I am an Arkansas fan and my school has had almost a year to look for a coach and my school misses out on Gruden, I would be pissed off to no end.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #30
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Tony Dungy left him a pretty good team in Tampa. You would think he would be a good college coach though, just because of the salesmanship factor.
And he seems to like to mold young men into men. I think Dungy could be a very good college coach if he had the desire to pursue it.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #31
gamecockjay
Blue Chip

Male

gamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
The way I look at it is like this, if I am an Arkansas fan and my school has had almost a year to look for a coach and my school misses out on Gruden, I would be pissed off to no end.
No doubt. They could have had him locked up 3 months ago if he was their number 1 target.

Hart at UT has done a terrible job with this also imo because he has done nothing to stop the flow of BS and the rampant Gruden love fest. If he hires anyone but Gruden the let down will be unreal and could be epic!!! Imagine getting a great hire like Patterson from TCU and the entire fanbase is still pissed because he didnt manage the expectations. It's either Gruden or someone bigger like Saban/Lombardi/Bellicheck or dig bears dead ass up and prop him on the sideline. Anything less is a flop in most fans opinions.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #32
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

I think Gruden is my hero.

He has done little in developing a team, backed into a super bowl, drove a franchise in the ground then landed a multimillion dollar deal while still getting paid to not coach. Then have multiple colleges and venues convinced he's the second coming without any college experience so much so they are getting into a bidding war?

I'm impressed that someone who has accomplished so little on his own can make millions upon millions.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #33
gamecockjay
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post

He has done little in developing a team, backed into a super bowl, drove a franchise in the ground then landed a multimillion dollar deal while still getting paid to not coach. Then have multiple colleges and venues convinced he's the second coming without any college experience so much so they are getting into a bidding war?

I'm impressed that someone who has accomplished so little on his own can make millions upon millions.
Lane Kiffin agrees!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #34
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Is this a fark or something? That dog's getting a snout full.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #35
landlocked
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2000
landlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockjay View Post
Lane Kiffin agrees!
But Gruden did it without the family name
landlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #36
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by go cockssssss View Post
Chargers are apparently going to go after Gruden after their terrible year and Gruden and their GM are best friends. If Fisher got 7 mil a year with the Rams with no super bowl, Gruden will get around there. There is no way it's the same money as UT can offer as your post indicates, UT cannot pay him remotely close to that. I doubt he wants to deal with the year long process of recruiting. The chargers are decent and not a project like UT. Plus the season has about 6 weeks left before Turner is fired and Gruden is forced a decision . I don't know if the Vols can wait that long in order to save this year's recruiting class.

Less work more money? No, it's probably more work less money dealing with boosters, recruiting, spring practice and the season.
If you think being a college football coach is more work than being a NFL coach then you aren't very informed.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #37
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretfordEnd View Post
The primary moderator on 8thMaxim.com came out a few weeks ago and said Gruden to UT was happening. He is pretty well-connected. Obviously, no one really knows for sure, but Vol Nation was running with it as well. It's basically a bidding war between UT and Arky right now.
Listen to my words.

I promise all of you that this is not a TN/ARK battle.

It is a TN/NFL job opportunity battle.

Arkansas is not an option.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #38
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

I have felt this way about Gruden for years....Do people forget that he got fired from Tampa??
Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #39
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockjay View Post
No doubt. They could have had him locked up 3 months ago if he was their number 1 target.

Hart at UT has done a terrible job with this also imo because he has done nothing to stop the flow of BS and the rampant Gruden love fest. If he hires anyone but Gruden the let down will be unreal and could be epic!!! Imagine getting a great hire like Patterson from TCU and the entire fanbase is still pissed because he didnt manage the expectations. It's either Gruden or someone bigger like Saban/Lombardi/Bellicheck or dig bears dead ass up and prop him on the sideline. Anything less is a flop in most fans opinions.
Maybe that is because we are actually going to get Gruden.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #40
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

People say he backed into a Super Bowl, but why does he not get credit for building Oakland up and his success there? Remember he played Oakland in the SB when he won. (the year after he was there).