CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
elcid99
thekob
Lonnie
Master Bedroom
COCKYTALKIN
Rooster'srule
Roosterboy
markp_vip
garnet_black215
My predictions for 2 (778)
An Aggies View of th (603)
Tennessee (383)
SEC Recruiting Advan (311)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (298)
Clowney in Practice (272)
Camp scheduled relea (196)
Question on Student (195)
Galaxy vs Seatle (167)
NCAA Concussion Sett (146)
2015 Commitment - Davon D
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
Ced Cooper's 40 Time
2016 - Brandon McIlwain
2015 - Zack Bailey
An Aggies View of the Mat
FIFA 14 on PS3
Clemson Recruiting...how
Hello Gamecocks!
Green and Lammons

Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
gamecockref
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecockref is learning to peckgamecockref is learning to peck
Default Carolina/Clemson History

Mods please move if needed. We all know that is 1910 a group of Clemson students marched to Columbia with bayonets and swords only to be met by Carolina students with rifles and handguns The following is an article from the Clempson Gazzette regarding the event: "The mood was jovial as we rode our donkeys and mules to the large fancy city. Our swords and bayonets glimmered in the moonlight as we prepared for battle. Strangely, we were greeted with great hostility by the city folk with fire sticks and hand powder machines. We knew we must return to the hills and challenge our medicine men to use majic to create such technology as they city folks possessed."

Just a ref giving Clempson fans everywhere the shocker
gamecockref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Carolina/Clemson History

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockref View Post
Mods please move if needed. We all know that is 1910 a group of Clemson students marched to Columbia with bayonets and swords only to be met by Carolina students with rifles and handguns The following is an article from the Clempson Gazzette regarding the event: "The mood was jovial as we rode our donkeys and mules to the large fancy city. Our swords and bayonets glimmered in the moonlight as we prepared for battle. Strangely, we were greeted with great hostility by the city folk with fire sticks and hand powder machines. We knew we must return to the hills and challenge our medicine men to use majic to create such technology as they city folks possessed."
Hey, obviously the Clempson historians are way off base. The year was 1902. Here is the story I wrote a few years back, The Transparency Incident of 1902, A Poetic and Incongruent Symbol is Born.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
jca4usc
Bubber

Male

CockyCash: 500
jca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his comb

For the record - The image from that linked article is probably some later image not related to the 1902 riot transparency. Here is the description given of it by a participant in the event - Christie Benet, Jr., 1902 South Carolina College Assistant Football Coach:

'This transparency showed a crowing game cock, marked "S.C.C," standing on the head of a dead tiger...'
-- "THE FOOTBALL RIOTS, Statements by Representative of South Carolina College and Clemson---Both Sides Endeavor to Shift the Responsibility," The Watchman and Southron Newspaper, November 12, 1902, Front Page

I have read in some other articles that the tiger was shown as bleeding. No matter of the exact image, the rioting did happen and the transparency was an integral part.

"A riot is an ugly thing... undt, I tink, that it is chust about time ve had vun." - Inspector Kemp, "Young Frankenstein" (That qoute came to mind.)

(BTW - Benet went on to coach at - wait for it - Clemson!)
Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca4usc View Post
For the record - The image from that linked article is probably some later image not related to the 1902 riot transparency. Here is the description given of it by a participant in the event - Christie Benet, Jr., 1902 South Carolina College Assistant Football Coach:

'This transparency showed a crowing game cock, marked "S.C.C," standing on the head of a dead tiger...'
-- "THE FOOTBALL RIOTS, Statements by Representative of South Carolina College and Clemson---Both Sides Endeavor to Shift the Responsibility," The Watchman and Southron Newspaper, November 12, 1902, Front Page

I have read in some other articles that the tiger was shown as bleeding. No matter of the exact image, the rioting did happen and the transparency was an integral part.

"A riot is an ugly thing... undt, I tink, that it is chust about time ve had vun." - Inspector Kemp, "Young Frankenstein" (That qoute came to mind.)

(BTW - Benet went on to coach at - wait for it - Clemson!)
True. I couldn't find any images of the professor's transparency in my research. However, the image shown in the article is likely a derivative of the original transparency.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
jca4usc
Bubber

Male

CockyCash: 500
jca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his combjca4usc is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
True. I couldn't find any images of the professor's transparency in my research. However, the image shown in the article is likely a derivative of the original transparency.
yazoo - I had no intention of being critical and I apologize if I came across that way. I really enjoyed the article and was just trying to add my 2 cents worth to the discussion. For the record, I like that graphic of the whip bearing rooster taming the tiger but I don't know its origin.

As you said, I have never found any images of the original transparency either and I don't think that there are any images of it in existence. However, there was an article from the 50's entitled "That Carolina-Clemson Affair" written by Eugene H. Blake that included cartoonish artwork of the riot which showed the rooster standing on top of a bloody tiger that was pretty close to the description. (I'll see if I can find it on my HD and share it.) It still didn't fully match the description since the rooster wasn't crowing, was standing on the belly of the tiger instead of it's head, and did not have S.C.C. on it.

Thanks for sharing the link with us! :o)
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his comb

I LOVE ... LOVE MY GAMECOCKS.... but we do know its still just a game ... i went to Carolina to get a degree....

Is football season here yet???
Cockyhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Hey, obviously the Clempson historians are way off base. The year was 1902. Here is the story I wrote a few years back, The Transparency Incident of 1902, A Poetic and Incongruent Symbol is Born.
Took me a little while to read that, but damn if I dont know a lot more about the rivalry. Pts to you sir