CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
GoldenSpur7
usc1
Gyle41386
Ole Miss Projected R (590)
Sunday college footb (534)
So who was the dude (514)
Early Pre-Season wom (509)
Kentucky Inmate Star (506)
Acock reviews the SE (481)
Tennessee hires Donn (447)
Get the SEC Network (447)
2001 vs Sandstorm (394)
Does anyone have a l (265)
Tennessee hires Donnie Ty
Victor Hampton Arrested
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
2001 vs Sandstorm
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2015 - Nyheim Hines
Name a Gamecock
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Softball tops Georgia Sou

Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #61
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Gruden offered by Arkansas

Huge News out of Tennessee Today.

Our Academic side is donating 18 Million dollars to our Athletic Department over 3 years.

Quote:
Brent_Hubbs

ADMIN
Post #51666
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
University financial commitment to athletics
Per Jimmy cheek, 18 million over 3 years back to athletics Posted from Rivals Mobile

11/20 3:38 PM | IP: Logged
Brent_Hubbs

ADMIN
Post #51667
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Re: University financial commitment to athletics
6 million per year Posted from Rivals Mobile
Ericvol2096 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #62
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
Spurrier got fired from Washington...what is your point?
I never said he wasn't a good Coach. I was just saying it is never brought up the fact the he was fired. I've liked him ever since the Raider day's. He is interested in the TN job though, that is for sure.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #63
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

The one thing I learned from Spurrier's first years here is that a head coach is only as good as his assistants. Spurrier was only out of the college game for a few years and had a lot of catching up to do on hiring and firing coaches which showed with 6 and 7 win seasons. Gruden has been out of the college game for a long time and has a lot to learn in this matter. He will be in control of the offense just like Spurrier but as we learned from coach Hunt that the greatest offensive minds aren't crap without the right assistants.

Dooley has done one thing at Tennessee and that's cleaned up Fulmer and Kiffin's mess and built a foundation for the next coach but Tennessee still has a ways to go.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #64
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

6:28 mark...from this Spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFBFBL4fqqk
Ericvol2096 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #65
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Pride View Post
I have felt this way about Gruden for years....Do people forget that he got fired from Tampa??
That is the funny thing...

Go ask a Bucs fan what they think about Gruden.

Hell, the players in his own locker room didn't respect him by the time his coaching tenure came to an end there.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #66
Cigaro
I drink your milkshake

Male

CockyCash: 50092224
Cigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot material

Quote:
Spurrier got fired from Washington...what is your point?
I get your point, but the situations aren't comparable. Spurrier was already a proven college coach. Gruden isn't.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #67
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by go cockssssss View Post
Chargers are apparently going to go after Gruden after their terrible year and Gruden and their GM are best friends. If Fisher got 7 mil a year with the Rams with no super bowl, Gruden will get around there. There is no way it's the same money as UT can offer as your post indicates, UT cannot pay him remotely close to that. I doubt he wants to deal with the year long process of recruiting. The chargers are decent and not a project like UT. Plus the season has about 6 weeks left before Turner is fired and Gruden is forced a decision . I don't know if the Vols can wait that long in order to save this year's recruiting class.

Less work more money? No, it's probably more work less money dealing with boosters, recruiting, spring practice and the season.
I know about The Chargers' offer. He gets asked every year. Maybe he decides to step down to college. Who knows.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #68
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I don't think he'll take a Collegiate HC gig because he would be able to air his "Gruden's Grinders"
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #69
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 66034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Read what I am saying. I am commenting on the people that don't give credit to Jon Gruden for winning a Super Bowl because he did it with "Tony Dungy's players".

My rebuttle to those people is that he won that Super Bowl against a team full of "HIS PLAYERS" one year after he left Oakland they were in the Super bowl.

So you can't say one without including the other.

The fact of the matter is he is a SUPER BOWL winning coach and has also taken teams to the playoffs 5 times and the Conference title games twice.

He is a home run hire.
Laugh. My. Ass. Off.

WHAT DOES HIS NFL CAREER HAVE TO DO WITH COLLEGE?

ANSWER: JACK #$#%

He is a desperate PR hire.. come the h on man
Old 11-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #70
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 66034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
PLEASE let this happen for UT...

God I want Gruden to be there... so much fail waiting to happen.

Love how Ericvol is "all in" for this hire

LMAO would love a coach with such little NCAA HC exp to be at UT
See this.
And can't wait for them to still not be better than USC/Ugay/Fla in 5 years.

God this is perfect, just like the Lane Kiffin fiasco. UT fans get all pumped up and overexcited for a PR hire, only look at his NFL experience (which, if you actually look, isn't that great... inherited a great team), and the fact he is on espn.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #71
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
Read what I am saying. I am commenting on the people that don't give credit to Jon Gruden for winning a Super Bowl because he did it with "Tony Dungy's players".

My rebuttle to those people is that he won that Super Bowl against a team full of "HIS PLAYERS" one year after he left Oakland they were in the Super bowl.

So you can't say one without including the other.

The fact of the matter is he is a SUPER BOWL winning coach and has also taken teams to the playoffs 5 times and the Conference title games twice.

He is a home run hire.
You're a little on edge man. Gruden will be an interesting coach and situation, but I am glad it's not at USC frankly.

This is a gamble that could either pay off nicely or you're going to end up with a program that recruits well but can't do anything with it.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #72
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
See this.
And can't wait for them to still not be better than USC/Ugay/Fla in 5 years.

God this is perfect, just like the Lane Kiffin fiasco. UT fans get all pumped up and overexcited for a PR hire, only look at his NFL experience (which, if you actually look, isn't that great... inherited a great team), and the fact he is on espn.
Dude has a Super Bowl ring. Does that mean he will do well in college? Not necessarily, but it is a good indicator that he may know how to coach a little bit.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #73
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2940
4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit

I'd rather him go outside of the SEC but I'm in favor of anything that'll get his corny ass out of the booth on Monday nights, I can't stand having to listen to him on MNF
4Ever2Thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #74
SwimCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

SwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
There is not a more overrated coach in any sport. Somehow he made himself a brand which he has cashed in on.
Yes, there is and he coaches a SC team in a weak conference and wears uringe.

Some NFL teams like Philly or Dallas will come after Gruden too. But, his MNF gig is very sweet with little pressure and less time commitment.
SwimCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #75
SwimCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

SwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPit

Quote:

Our Academic side is donating 18 Million dollars to our Athletic Department over 3 years.
That's kind of embarrassing for a college especially since USC's athletic dept. donated $10 million to the academic side. Pretty much shows that the Viles are in bad financial shape on in the AD and view athletics as more important than academics.
SwimCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #76
Gamecockboyo
Jadeveon Clowney Fan

Male

CockyCash: 131113
Gamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockboyo

He will coach again but not in college football.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #77
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretfordEnd View Post
Dude has a Super Bowl ring. Does that mean he will do well in college? Not necessarily, but it is a good indicator that he may know how to coach a little bit.
So? A guy I know has a high school championship ring. Doesn't mean he'll make a good COLLEGE coach.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #78
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:

Priorities!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #79
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4259
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

My mom used to live right outside Tampa so we used to watch them play a lot, and I was never impressed with Gruden. The only thing that kept them from winning a super bowl prior to him was Dungy's fixation on giving minority QBs a shot even if they weren't very good. The only change that Gruden made was to bring in an established QB.
The rumors I got from his firing was that he was an arrogant ass hole and that the players hated him. The only worry I have about him coming to UT is that he will hire excellent ex-NFL assistants. And we've seen from UK with Rich Brooks and from Monte Kiffin how this works.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #80
infinite1
Iller than most...

Male

infinite1 has earned his spursinfinite1 has earned his spursinfinite1 has earned his spursinfinite1 has earned his spursinfinite1 has earned his spursinfinite1 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
My mom used to live right outside Tampa so we used to watch them play a lot, and I was never impressed with Gruden. The only thing that kept them from winning a super bowl prior to him was Dungy's fixation on giving minority QBs a shot even if they weren't very good. The only change that Gruden made was to bring in an established QB.
The rumors I got from his firing was that he was an arrogant ass hole and that the players hated him. The only worry I have about him coming to UT is that he will hire excellent ex-NFL assistants. And we've seen from UK with Rich Brooks and from Monte Kiffin how this works.
Seems the fixation is yours. Dungy only had 1 "minority" qb in his 6 years who started a total of 21 games. He was not the starting qb in Dungy's final season...so yeah
infinite1 is offline   Reply With Quote