CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
GH
75CarolinaFan
JoeMorrisonLives
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
garnet_black215
StormOfTalons
b381l
Welcome to Moe's (541)
Jay Paterno Attempts (454)
Hercules - review (193)
help with army insig (191)
I'm a grand godfathe (107)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (41)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (19)
Good Article for those co
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
college football match up
2015 - Auden Tate
2015 - Mon Denson
Coach's media golf press
2015 - Marquavius Lewis
Jay Paterno Attempts To R
***2014 Nascar Season Thr

Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #21
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Connor Playing Injured (Spurrier comments)

I hope Connor is fine but we always have Dylan.

Yes, he was awful at Vandy, but that was one of his first game ever. Doesn't help that it was on the road in the SEC. Plus, the rest of the team was awful at Vandy too.

No doubt that Connor is better, but Dylan is a great back up.
uscgamecocks88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #22
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
In high school, I played in our final varsity soccer game of my senior year. Winning would leave us tied for the bi-district championship.

I tore my meniscus and managed to stay on the pitch for the final 30 minutes. Coach didn't know I was washed up (I guess I hid it from him) but I was damn near useless to my team.

It was the competitor in me that kept me out there. If there is anything in this world I hate, it's riding the pine.

Anyway, in hindsight I was selfish because my backup could have filled in admirably and would have loved the opportunity to play a major role in helping us win the championship.

My coach should have been paying enough attention to pull me out.

HBC should have pulled Connor much earlier.
i have to disagree with you..its up to you in that situation to make it right.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Conner, when healthy provides another dimension to our offense that Dylan doesn't. If Conner can't go, we had better find a run game from someone else or Dylan will be a sitting duck. Conner torched them last year with the dual threat, not sure we can beat them with no running game, and no running from our QB position.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #24
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
Conner, when healthy provides another dimension to our offense that Dylan doesn't. If Conner can't go, we had better find a run game from someone else or Dylan will be a sitting duck. Conner torched them last year with the dual threat, not sure we can beat them with no running game, and no running from our QB position.
Really? I think our backs are doing just fine, Davis' fumble notwithstanding. Miles has filled in admirably and has had some of his best games against Clemson. Connor's scrambling might not be a factor, sure, and that is concerning. But I'm not worried about our running game on a whole.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #25
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

I don't see how you can call that selfish. That's his team. He is the starting QB.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #26
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Shaw showed me all about his toughness when he came back into the game vs Vandy...

I dont think he was being selfish...
Warrior all the way! He is a proven winner! He does what it takes to win...no matter how much he is in pain

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #27
cocky bizz
Banned

Male

cocky bizz has feathers coming incocky bizz has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
I think your wrong buddy... Shaw is hurt and doesn't trust himself and our recievers to the throw the ball. Why not play a qb against a team.with a garbage secondary that has no.fear chunking the ball? Even if Shaw was healthy I still would start dt over him. Were not gonna.win this game on the ground. Air attack... Air attack!
cocky bizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #28
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
I still think Shaw is trying to live up and surpass Garcia's warrior mentality.
He may have the mentality, he just does not have the physique for it.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #29
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
Warrior all the way! He is a proven winner! He does what it takes to win...no matter how much he is in pain
Connor didn't really win that game for us. He didn't turn it over but a wofford fumble and a defensive stop on 4th down did. The offensive drive that connor lead got us 3 points.

If we would have lost would everyone still feel like shaw gave us the best chance?
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #30
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownage McGee View Post
I take that as SOS needs to be the coach and make the right call regardless of what Shaw thinks.

Yes Shaw is a warrior but he didn't do us any favors by aggravating an injury against Wofford. Why the hell is SOS asking his players to make the calls. My 2 year old wants ice cream for breakfast pretty often, but guess what, I'm the parent and I have to be the bad guy sometimes. Spurrier gets paid the big bucks to make decisions that are best for the team.
It is the players responsibility to be honest. The player has the best ability to know if he is ok or not.

This is not the same as your two year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
In high school, I played in our final varsity soccer game of my senior year. Winning would leave us tied for the bi-district championship.

I tore my meniscus and managed to stay on the pitch for the final 30 minutes. Coach didn't know I was washed up (I guess I hid it from him) but I was damn near useless to my team.

It was the competitor in me that kept me out there. If there is anything in this world I hate, it's riding the pine.

Anyway, in hindsight I was selfish because my backup could have filled in admirably and would have loved the opportunity to play a major role in helping us win the championship.

My coach should have been paying enough attention to pull me out.

HBC should have pulled Connor much earlier.
You assume Connor is lying out of selfishness. I think that is a bit presumptuous. There is no indication of any nature whatsoever that Connor is not a consummate team player. Back in HS you were not. Connor is not like you were as an immature high school kid.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #31
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Connor didn't really win that game for us. He didn't turn it over but a wofford fumble and a defensive stop on 4th down did. The offensive drive that connor lead got us 3 points.

If we would have lost would everyone still feel like shaw gave us the best chance?
So Connor had nothing to do with the other TD he threw to Ace?

And again...wasn't just referring to this game...he has the highest win percentage of an QB to ever play here...that speaks for itself

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #32
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
So Connor had nothing to do with the other TD he threw to Ace?

And again...wasn't just referring to this game...he has the highest win percentage of an QB to ever play here...that speaks for itself
We were still struggling after that until the defense forced a fumble and had a big stop. Connor maybe added the 7 points but if you think we won that game based on Connor driving the offense maybe we appreciated different things.

I would argue Connor may get the accolades of having the highest win percentage of a qb, but he benefited from a deep rb pool, a top quality defense, and an SEC east that has struggled in the past.

I expect Connor as a qb to not lose a game for us, but when we get excited about a passing yardage of over 200 yards then is everything really ok at that position?
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #33
blakngarnit50
Walk On

Male

blakngarnit50 has hatched from the shell

connor is tougher than woodpecker lips,but i really would like to see what dylan could do as a starter in a huge game.
blakngarnit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #34
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
We were still struggling after that until the defense forced a fumble and had a big stop. Connor maybe added the 7 points but if you think we won that game based on Connor driving the offense maybe we appreciated different things.

I would argue Connor may get the accolades of having the highest win percentage of a qb, but he benefited from a deep rb pool, a top quality defense, and an SEC east that has struggled in the past.

I expect Connor as a qb to not lose a game for us, but when we get excited about a passing yardage of over 200 yards then is everything really ok at that position?
First of all...my logic is you win as a team & lose as a team...not one position decides that entirely so I am not trying to take anything away from our great D...but Connor does what he needs to do to win as he does a lot.

As far as his win percentage...of course he has had help...but so does Mcarron, so does Murray...it's what great teams have...good QB, good D, good players at every position.

Connor is a dual threat QB...he runs & throws...so for JUST 200 yards...nothing to get excited about...but if he does this with no TO's...a couple of TDs & 50 or so yards on the ground...if that helps wins us games...you darn right I'm excited about that! I will take that all day any day over one who throws for 400 yds but throws 3 ints!

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #35
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

The most popular player on the Team - the Backup QB.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his comb

the players rally around connor... he is the ultimate gamer and leader

Is football season here yet???
Cockyhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #37
blakngarnit50
Walk On

Male

blakngarnit50 has hatched from the shell

maybe its just me,but sometimes connor just doesnt show that certain fire that spreads electricity through his team.kind of emotionless.love the way he plays,cant argue with his smarts or winning percentage,just always get the feeling that little something is missing.swag maybe.
blakngarnit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #38
Fish Tacos
Recruit

Male

Fish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talons

1) i love DT, think he has great potential but there's clearly a reason he is the #2 and didn't overtake Connor. DT had some awesome games when he had to fill in for shaw but let's not forget if ECU and UAB had some better players on defense he could of easily had as many INT's as he does TD's. so it's not like spurrier has the masterful QB he is just sitting for no reason. DT is raw. conversely, needs meaningful playing time to learn the game and get rid of some of the rawness.

2) i don't think shaw was selfish to play or that SOS was somehow letting his players coach the game. i am sure the conversation was much more detailed than what was provided in spurrier's comments and he wouldn't have put shaw in there if a) he was at risk to get seriously injured or b) if he wasn't capable of leading us. you can't just yank connor everytime he has a bad series (see Smelley/Garcia 08)

3) i have no doubt that if connor struggles early in the clemson game and/or appears to be less than 100% and it is hindering our offense, he will be taken out for dylan. this game is too meaningful and has a lot riding on it. However, if connor can play through the pain as he has all season and run the offense, let it be. connor doesn't have the W/L record he has because he sucks and can't command the game.
Fish Tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #39
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1TheBeast View Post
Do people not realize that we were tied at the start of the 4th quarter?
And I can't help but wonder whether it would've been tied if we had a QB that wasn't injured playing. Just sayin.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #40
ocelot
Walk On

Male

ocelot has feathers coming inocelot has feathers coming in

I don't necessarily think Dylan's chop liver, but where's this mentality that he's going to sit back there like Joe Montana come from? Maybe I need to rewatch the games where DT played, but even then, feel like he was just chucking it up and our receivers were fortunate to come down with some of them. It's not like he's been tossing lasers out there.
ocelot is offline   Reply With Quote