CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
yazoo
Acockolypse Now
GoldenSpur7
spareparts
IslandCock
BlueHerons
CockyCody
GA_Ag
COCKYTALKIN
The bane of our seas (1602)
OBC banner being add (1511)
Ward wants us to pla (1207)
WR Depth Chart/Rotat (1023)
Who scores the first (971)
Davis Playing in A&a (849)
Tanner McEvoy Starti (592)
Come and get your Jo (539)
CFB Playoff Bracket (507)
All garnet for Thurs (486)
Who scores the first touc
***2014 Carolina Panthers
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
I have not bought into ou
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
First action of the new s
Howdy! - Tailgating quest
Connor Shaw Browns
Balkman vs. USA

Old 11-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Play where Connor gets hurt vs Wofford.

Watching the Sportsouth replay of the Wofford game and I just saw the play where Connor hurts it foot. I thought it was an interesting play because it defines so much of what was frustrating about Connor's play in that game.

Just in case anyone else wants to watch it, it is the play that starts at the 10:45 mark of the first quarter. It is second and 12.

It is a great play to watch because it gives a nice replay from behind Connor that shows what he is seeing as he looks downfield (I know things happen MUCH faster on the field.).

But here is the play. Connor is in the shotgun and drops back to throw. As he is looking at receivers a hole opens up in the middle of the field (you can see it clearly on replay). Connor just takes off running trying to get through the hole, but the hole closes up and he actually steps on one of our offensive lineman's legs which bends his foot in a weird way. He gets up hobbling after being tackled for a loss.

Now I do realize this only one play, but there are a couple of things that are very easy to see on this play because of the replay angles.

1. The line was not the problem. Connor was safe in the pocket. This was not even remotely a situation where he was having to try and run to avoid pressure. The pocket was there.
2. It is easy to see from the replay that gives a look at what Connor is seeing that he just takes off running as soon as he sees the hole open up. But then it collapses.
3. On the replay that has the camera angle from behind Connor looking downfield, you can see Nick Jones running a crossing route and he is wide ass open. It is a great angle because you can see him make his cut and his defender doesn't go with him. There is a linebacker in the middle of the field, but Connor could have easily hit Nick way before the linebacker even gets into the picture.
4. When Nick first makes his cut, Connor is looking right at him so he should have seen him. But then he sees the hole and he just takes off.

Again, I realize this is only one play, but I just thought it was a good example of what it is that I am sure Spurrier is trying to get him to stop doing.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Play where Connor gets hurt vs Wofford.

Yeah. That's what I've been saying all year. It's frustrating. It's as he trust his legs more then his arm. Idk why. He has shown he can sling it. Look at UT and Arky. I just want him to throw it when he is suppossed to. That's all I want from him. Haha.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Well get ready to be cursing at your TV come Saturday.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
Makindough
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 280
Makindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPit

Yea this is the only thing that worries me about Saturday. It seems very clear that he is loosing confidence. He is NOT the same Connor that started at the beginning of the year, unfortunately
Makindough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Actually I think he's improved from the start of the year.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Honestly idc how he plays Saturday as long as we win. Normally I want him to put up big numbers. But if all he throws for is 120 yards Saturday and we win. Idc.

I just think for us to win he will have to throw it like he did aganst UT. BUT if he doesnt and will still win. You certainly won't see me complaining.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #7
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Watching the Sportsouth replay of the Wofford game and I just saw the play where Connor hurts it foot. I thought it was an interesting play because it defines so much of what was frustrating about Connor's play in that game.

Just in case anyone else wants to watch it, it is the play that starts at the 10:45 mark of the first quarter. It is second and 12.

It is a great play to watch because it gives a nice replay from behind Connor that shows what he is seeing as he looks downfield (I know things happen MUCH faster on the field.).

But here is the play. Connor is in the shotgun and drops back to throw. As he is looking at receivers a hole opens up in the middle of the field (you can see it clearly on replay). Connor just takes off running trying to get through the hole, but the hole closes up and he actually steps on one of our offensive lineman's legs which bends his foot in a weird way. He gets up hobbling after being tackled for a loss.

Now I do realize this only one play, but there are a couple of things that are very easy to see on this play because of the replay angles.

1. The line was not the problem. Connor was safe in the pocket. This was not even remotely a situation where he was having to try and run to avoid pressure. The pocket was there.
2. It is easy to see from the replay that gives a look at what Connor is seeing that he just takes off running as soon as he sees the hole open up. But then it collapses.
3. On the replay that has the camera angle from behind Connor looking downfield, you can see Nick Jones running a crossing route and he is wide ass open. It is a great angle because you can see him make his cut and his defender doesn't go with him. There is a linebacker in the middle of the field, but Connor could have easily hit Nick way before the linebacker even gets into the picture.
4. When Nick first makes his cut, Connor is looking right at him so he should have seen him. But then he sees the hole and he just takes off.

Again, I realize this is only one play, but I just thought it was a good example of what it is that I am sure Spurrier is trying to get him to stop doing.
How do you know it wasn't a designed QB draw?

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Well get ready to be cursing at your TV come Saturday.
Way the hell ahead of you on that one, and it has nothing to do with Connor.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #9
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
How do you know it wasn't a designed QB draw?
You can tell. You would have to watch it to see, but you can tell.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Actually I think he's improved from the start of the year.
In what area?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
In what area?
Probably, hanging in there a bit to let plays develop. Against UF, it was pretty bad. After the benching by Spurrier, it looked like the light bulb went on to some degree. However, against wofford, the same issue cropped up again.

I'm not sure if the Wofford secondary dudes were blanketing our receivers. The OP's viewpoint shows that on that one play they were not.

OTH, maybe there was a safety out of sight that was coming from the other side of the field and you couldn't see it on the camera. We need better films, than our TV replays, to really evaluate the issue accurately.

Referring to another post above, it seems Connor's confidence is getting so loose i'm afraid it might end up draped around his injured ankles.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
You can tell. You would have to watch it to see, but you can tell.
I did watch it...and I see what you're saying but Nick wasn't as open as you make it sound. There was a window but the ball would have had to have been thrown perfect to get there before the other LB got to him. Their LBs & defensive front were not big but really fast! Also...Connor could have been thinking if he threw that it would or could have left Nick out to dry. Not making excuses...just throwing scenarios that you might not have thought about

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

I actually don't have a problem with him running, he just doesn't take off anymore. He used to take off right away, now he is hesitant and his ypc have significantly decreased. I also think this has something to do with the fact that he is pretty banged up.

However, we all need to put Shaw's play in perspective. He has been a huge upgrade for us. He won the Vandy game for us with his legs. He (not lately) makes third down conversions that allow us to keep the D off of the field. He manages games well and doesn't lose them for us. He freaking wins games.

We had a guy that wasn't afraid to take shots and had a big arm. That guy made a ton of turnovers and lost games for us. Do I wish Connor would pull the trigger? Hell yes. But, he has been solid for us and he doesn't lose games for us. We have enough talent around Connor where we don't need him to win games. Connor is our best QB. Like it your not, you have to live with it.

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote