CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Thenardier
Bobby Boucher
MACXIMVS
Gyle41386
rdwylie
JerseyBird
COCKYWOOD
uscgamecocks88
MWard
spareparts
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8282)
Sindarius Thornwell (868)
Best Child Acting Pe (529)
Chicago ND fan/SEC b (503)
Well gameday just go (421)
Happy Birthday, Coac (359)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (347)
Your most famous twi (239)
South Carolina @ Aub (218)
Unsung Hero (217)
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Athlon Ranks the SEC's QB
Bianca Cuevas - 2014 WBB
Any news on Max Schrock
Burger Kings angry whoppe
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
2015 - Darian Roseboro

Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #101
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Gruden offered by Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
I think that Gruden would make a huge splash in getting in top recruits. Now, would he be able to put together a top notch staff, resist the urge to bolt to the NFL or back to the booth, and put up with boosters and all that goes with being a college coach?
As for those who say he wasn't really that good of an NFL coach, Saban and Spurrier didn't exactly set the world on fire in the pros and they've done just fine.
Good points.

I don't really worry about him being able to put together a solid staff. He has a very large network of coaching connections, and I don't think he would have trouble having coaches eager to come work with him due to his reputation and brand-name.

The great point you make is IF he were to decide to come to TN, that he could VERY quickly decide it isn't for him and bounce to the NFL.

That is a major concern and would be something that would make it scary as a fan.

But IMO if you can get 3 years out of Gruden (at the least) he will at least leave you absolutely loaded with talent, give you program immediate extra credibilty (that he chose to coach at your school) and would make you a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #102
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

no way he goes he is living the life right now

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #103
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
no way he goes he is living the life right now
MC, sources close to the NFL, college game and Gruden himself have all said there is a VERY strong possiblity this will be the year he goes back to coaching.

The big question isn't IF he leaves the booth it is where he goes.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #104
bcgibson75
Banned

Male

bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
LOL why wouldn't he? It is a better program in every fashion except academically.

His agent has already been working the back channels trying to express interest in TN.
Franklin would have a lot more pieces in place in Knoxville...

and he proving to be a good recruiter, but is the fan base going to really get excited over getting Vandy's coach?

He' gotta be UT's plan B, don't ya think?
bcgibson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #105
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
Franklin would have a lot more pieces in place in Knoxville...

and he proving to be a good recruiter, but is the fan base going to really get excited over getting Vandy's coach?

He' gotta be UT's plan B, don't ya think?
I'm sorry I must have misunderstood your post. I took it as Franklin wouldn't want to go to UT over staying at Vandy.

I think Tennessee could do a lot worse than James Franklin personally, but I do agree that there is some perceptual issues in the fanbase and even admin that will make him being hired difficult.

I do think that makes him more on the plan C list.

This is how I view our list right now.

The 5M+ coaches (Plan A)
1a. Jon Gruden
1b. Bob Stoops

After they decline

The 4M~ coaches (Plan B)
1. Jimbo Fisher
2. Mike Gundy
3. Gary Patterson

If it gets past that

The 3M~ coach list (Plan C)
1. Charlie Strong
2. Dan Mullen
3. James Franklin
4. Al Golden (why I don't know but he is on almost every list I see)
5. Art Briles or Sonny Dykes

I think if we miss on the first two plans

We don't get passed Charlie Strong on the C list.

Just my opinion
Old 11-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #106
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Mike Gundy?! lol
Old 11-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #107
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Mike Gundy?! lol
He's a man, he's 40.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #108
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
He's a man, he's 40.
I would love to have that man in the SEC!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #109
Hog
1st Team All-American

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Hey Beer Man 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Hey Beer Man 
CockyCash: 1514690
Hog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot material

I guess there's no answer for my question

Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #110
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

http://www.mrsec.com/2012/11/as-the-...28MrSEC.com%29

Quote:
On Sunday, CBSSports.com’s Jason La Canfora claimed Arkansas and Tennessee were both targeting ex-NFL coach and current ESPN analyst Jon Gruden for their coaching vacancies. Two nights ago, KTHV -TV in Little Rock reported that Arkansas had officially offered Gruden its head coaching job.
Rumors of a Gruden hire have swirled at both schools for more than a month with various fans and friends of friends of friends claiming that both Gruden-to-Arkansas and Gruden-to-Tennessee were done deals, depending, of course, on which said of the Arkansas/Tennessee border you stood.
Numerous sources from the Natural State have indicated elsewhere — and specifically to MrSEC.com last night — that Gruden politely turned down the advance from the Razorbacks. Ron Higgins of The Memphis Commercial-Appeal — a city that straddles said border — reported the following on Twitter last night:

With Tennessee in the on-deck circle at this point, MrSEC.com was told by an industry source this morning that it might not take a “mind-blowing” offer to land Gruden.
As everyone knows by now, the Super Bowl-winning coach began his career as a grad assistant at Tennessee in the mid-80s and married an ex-UT cheerleader who still has family in the Knoxville area. Those ties could be causing Gruden — who’s spoken with Tennessee during previous searches — to lean more in the Vols’ direction this time around.
According to the source we spoke with today, Gruden and his agent are no longer asking for $50 million in guaranteed money over 10 years as had been widely speculated/reported in East Tennessee over the past few weeks. If true, perhaps Gruden is willing to give UT a “hometown” discount on account of his wife and in-laws. It’s also possible that the coach believes he could use his national celebrity to earn a good deal of cash over-and-above his Vol salary through national advertisements (he’s currently a pitch man for Hooters).

Various ex-Volunteer players — most from the 1990s and the Peyton Manning era — are claiming that Gruden is now a lock for the Tennessee job. One of the sources we spoke with this morning wouldn’t go that far, but he did say that the ex-Buccaneers coach appears to be “intrigued” by the idea of trying his hand at the college game. According to the industry source, the coach is so interested in Tennessee that it might only take an offer in the area of $4 million per season to land him. “Only $4 million” is still ridiculous money and such a deal would still place Gruden behind only Urban Meyer ($4.3m at Ohio State), Bob Stoops ($4.5 m at Oklahoma), Mack Brown ($5.3m at Texas), and Nick Saban ($5.4m at Alabama) in terms of college football coaching salaries.
Multiple outlets have reported that Gruden has already spoken with a number of potential assistant coaches regarding a possible move to Tennessee. Popular rumors in the Volunteer State have tied him to current Duke defensive coordinator and D-line coach Marion Hobby as well as current Southern Cal receivers coach Tee Martin, both former Vol players.
Our industry source indicated that Gruden has spoken with at least one ex-head coach about joining his staff. That would make sense seeing as how the coach hasn’t been in the college ranks himself since an assistant coaching gig at Pittsburgh way back in 1991.
If you do the math on what ex-head coach might be on Gruden’s wish list, you’ll likely arrive at Ron Zook who was on the same Tennessee staff with Gruden under Johnny Majors in 1986.
The 58-year-old Zook has been a head coach at Florida and Illinois. He’s served as a defensive coordinator with Cincinnati, Kansas, Florida, and the New Orleans Saints. He also has a reputation for being a solid recruiter.
But before Tennessee fans start counting their Grudens before they hatch, there are still three potential snags that could nix the deal:

1. Gruden could decide to stay at ESPN where the livin’s easy rather than going all-in with a college coaching job.
2. Gruden could decide — even though he’s “intrigued” with the idea of coaching college ball — to wait for an NFL job to come open. Several probably will. And most of those owners will probably have some interest in Gruden. But would Gruden wait for a possible NFL situation rather than take on the role of hero at Tennessee. A bird in the hand, as they say.
3. Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart might not want to go down the Gruden road.

Hart is the wild card in this equation. Despite rumors that the Gruden is already hired by the Vols and Hart had no say in the matter, we’ve heard from multiple sources at UT and in the industry that he is indeed calling the shots on this one. And he’s keeping his cards clutched tightly to his chest.
Have Tennessee’s biggest boosters talked to Gruden, gauged his interest, and reported back to Hart? Yes. But Hart still has to a) decide to close the deal and b) actually close the deal if/when he decides to do so.
From what we at MrSEC.com have been told, there’s a feeling Hart would resign and throw Tennessee’s athletic department into even more of a mess should someone try to force his hand. He’s been hired to do a job and he wants to be allowed to do it. Makes sense.
But if Gruden is truly “intrigued” and — as one source told us today — “can be had, if UT wants him,” then Hart had better think long and hard before going in any other direction. In reality, a proven college coach might be a safer and more successful long-term hire than a pro coach. Especially a pro coach with a reputation for not liking NFL rookies and youngsters. But Volunteer fans have tabbed Gruden as their savior-to-be. Only Bob Stoops would trump Gruden in most fans’ eyes.
So Arkansas has taken its swing and missed. The ball is now reportedly sitting on a tee for Tennessee and waiting to be hit. If Hart chooses to walk away from Gruden Field and take a swing elsewhere, he’d better be sure he hits a home run. Otherwise, Tennessee’s biggest boosters will be looking for a new coach and a new AD the next time around.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #111
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
I guess there's no answer for my question
Hog,

Gruden has been quoted in the past as saying that the only two college jobs he would consider are Notre Dame and Tennessee.

That is where my comment came from.

Not a slight to Arkansas just that he would only go to college if it were for a certain school.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #112
Hog
1st Team All-American

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Hey Beer Man 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Hey Beer Man 
Hog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Hog,

Gruden has been quoted in the past as saying that the only two college jobs he would consider are Notre Dame and Tennessee.

That is where my comment came from.

Not a slight to Arkansas just that he would only go to college if it were for a certain school.

I for one have not heard that. You do realize that sometimes coaches may say "I'm not interested" or "I ain't going anywhere" only later we find out different, right?

I ain't saying that Gruden is coming to Arkansas or Tennessee, or back to the NFL to coach. I'm not sure I want him. But to say there's no chance......I'll wait to hear it from Gruden himself.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #113
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I for one have not heard that. You do realize that sometimes coaches may say "I'm not interested" or "I ain't going anywhere" only later we find out different, right?

I ain't saying that Gruden is coming to Arkansas or Tennessee, or back to the NFL to coach. I'm not sure I want him. But to say there's no chance......I'll wait to hear it from Gruden himself.
Fair enough and very true.

Saban comes to mind on this point.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #114
Hog
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Fair enough and very true.

Saban comes to mind on this point.

What's the deal with the $18 million a year? Why? Is there a shortage in the athletic department fund? Not flaming, I just find it a little odd.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #115
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

We will see this happening over and over. Look at the SEC openings.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #116
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

They are having budget issues. An empty stadium and tons of bad contract/buyouts will do that to you. Hamilton damn near ruined 'em. They're paying dooley a $5million dollar buyout on top of his salary for this year. That was a great contract. LOL.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #117
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Quote:
MC, sources close to the NFL, college game and Gruden himself have all said there is a VERY strong possiblity this will be the year he goes back to coaching.

The big question isn't IF he leaves the booth it is where he goes.
money talks I guess...but there was no way he would go to arkansas

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #118
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
What's the deal with the $18 million a year? Why? Is there a shortage in the athletic department fund? Not flaming, I just find it a little odd.
Yea our AD budget has taken a hit in the past 4-5 years. Mainly due to decreased attendance, coaching buyouts and our AD to Academic funding policy changing.

Our AD has put over 45M back into academics over the past 4 years as our BOT changed the way the AD had to allocate funds.

Just two weeks ago they voted to move that funding authority back into the hands of the AD.

They aren't giving that 6M a year to the AD. They just aren't taking it like had been scheduled to be given.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #119
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
They are having budget issues. An empty stadium and tons of bad contract/buyouts will do that to you. Hamilton damn near ruined 'em. They're paying dooley a $5million dollar buyout on top of his salary for this year. That was a great contract. LOL.
Dooley made something like 300,000 dollars a win during his tenure at TN.

LOL what a JOKE!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #120
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

LOL. Nice work if you can get it.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote