CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
A. Pilgrim
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
gadeneer1986
Lonnie
B-G
doubledribble
Jim Lahey
Why is everyone anti (2237)
Busta out indefinite (1246)
How did we not make (1209)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Miss St. defense (1060)
Just thought of some (1056)
SOS says his next st (883)
Our Road Upset Wins (775)
Let us clarify some (740)
Is Clowney back toni (692)
Rest of the season predic
Busta out indefinitely.
To ANYONE complaining abo
Michael Sams done in Dall
No easy road for our offe
Our Road Upset Wins
Does South Carolina still
Miss St. defense
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Why is everyone anticipat

Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #141
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007
Default Re: Too many Gamecock fans underrate Connor Shaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
To the ass-hats harping on the fact that Connor "only" completed 6 out of 10 passes against Georgia, you're ignoring the fact that he also RAN for 78 yards and a touchdown in the damn game!

The guy goes 6 for 10 for 162 yards passing with 2 touchdowns and no picks, along with 78 yards rushing and a rushing TD...and some windbags here try to figure out a way to spin his stats in a selectively negative way. AMAZING.

The funny thing to me is...where are all these negative Connor posters when he throws for over 300 and a couple TDs...we don't hear this...but when he dont throw for 200 but gets the job done..."he needs to get rid of it quicker" or "we need to put in Dylan"...I just don't get it

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #142
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
To the ass-hats harping on the fact that Connor "only" completed 6 out of 10 passes against Georgia, you're ignoring the fact that he also RAN for 78 yards and a touchdown in the damn game!

The guy goes 6 for 10 for 162 yards passing with 2 touchdowns and no picks, along with 78 yards rushing and a rushing TD...and some windbags here try to figure out a way to spin his stats in a selectively negative way. AMAZING.
Very eloquently put there. So you're content with our qb play and if he continues along the way he's been without improvement you see us winning a championship?
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #143
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Again, Connor is a dual threat football player not a traditional QB. When you look at his stats, you have to look at total yards, not just passing. That's only half of the story.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #144
Wkrice91
Blue Chip

Male

Wkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudly

Connor is a very good QB. He is intelligent, and tough as hell. However, like it or not, he is not the best passer. If the OL can protect, I have confidence that Thompson can throw well against the Tiger defense.
Wkrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #145
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkrice91 View Post
Connor is a very good QB. He is intelligent, and tough as hell. However, like it or not, he is not the best passer. If the OL can protect, I have confidence that Thompson can throw well against the Tiger defense.
I have confidence in both as well...of course, I have confidence Tommy Suggs could still throw well against THAT defensive backfield.

The phrase "lost" comes to mind when trying to describe that bunch of Taters.

GO COCKS!!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #146
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Very eloquently put there. So you're content with our qb play and if he continues along the way he's been without improvement you see us winning a championship?
I'm not 100% content, and neither is Connor - I think he'll continue to work and improve, and I think he'll have his best season as a senior.

I think we have a GREAT shot at a championship next season. Our schedule will be much more favorable, our D will still be fierce, and Connor will be an experienced (and, knock on wood, 100% healthy) winner/leader working with an experienced group of receivers.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #147
Emery
Game MVP

Male

Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm not 100% content, and neither is Connor - I think he'll continue to work and improve, and I think he'll have his best season as a senior.

I think we have a GREAT shot at a championship next season. Our schedule will be much more favorable, our D will still be fierce, and Connor will be an experienced (and, knock on wood, 100% healthy) winner/leader working with an experienced group of receivers.
I don't think he's content either, but I'm worried that not due to his faults but more to the staff, that USC has shown an inability to develop qbs.

I agree that our schedule is the best we can ever hope for, our defense should be solid, the oline should be better, we have a stable of rbs..but at some point we will need Connor to put the team on his back and win a game for us (much like in LSU this year). I hope at that point he is more developed than he is now, but from this point last year to now his play is very similar.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #148
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
So I guess you would rather have Garcia bc he sure "let go of it" against Auburn last year! Lol. And ummm...at least Connor beats the teams he is "supposed to" bc we lost to Auburn MAINLY bc of Garcia & that was a team we were not supposed to lose to to cost us the division last year
Flip side is that Garcia beat bama the same way. As I've said before I don't really see either guy as all that different.

I'd say Garcia and Shaw are about neck in neck as far as being a "better" QB in terms of production now. With Garcia you'd get your share of horrible throws that would cost us games. Basically he'd make 2 or 3 big screw ups against good teams that would cause us to lose. With Shaw its 10-15 little screw ups like not getting the ball out or taking off to early, which has caused us to lose against good teams. With Garcia you'd get those long bombs to negate his mistakes and with Shaw you've got the speed factor. If both of those guys had the same off field attitude and actions, I don't think people would think of them being a whole lot different from each other in terms of on field production.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #149
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I don't think he's content either, but I'm worried that not due to his faults but more to the staff, that USC has shown an inability to develop qbs.

I agree that our schedule is the best we can ever hope for, our defense should be solid, the oline should be better, we have a stable of rbs..but at some point we will need Connor to put the team on his back and win a game for us (much like in LSU this year). I hope at that point he is more developed than he is now, but from this point last year to now his play is very similar.
Let's hope his play is VERY similar on Saturday. He lit Clemson UP last year.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #150
CockyCyclone
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 16788014
CockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
2011:

W. UK - Awful.
W. MSU - Average
W. UT - Awful.
L. Ark - hey, very good.
W. UF - Average/awful

2012:

W. Vandy - Average
W. Missouri - Awful.
W. Kentucky - Awful.
W. Georgia - hey, very good.
L. LSU - hey, very good.
L. UF - hey, very good.
UT - Awful.
Ark - Awful.

This is my point. We beat the teams we are suppose to, but if we are talking CHAMPIONSHIPS .. A certain someone is going to have to play better in the 'measuring stick' games to get us into a championship.
I skipped to the last page but I think this sums up my feelings, he beats the mediocre teams and generally loses to the elite teams. The defense and the rest of the team has more to do with winning these games than Shaw because he isn't taking any risks whatsoever. I wish he would throw the ball instead of taking these sacks and 2 yard scrambles constantly because I think he could be a hell of a quarterback.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #151
boonyg
Recruit

Male

boonyg has hatched from the shell

Quote:

not to mention the fact that he didn't throw at all in the second half b/c we didn't half to b/c we had such a big lead. that was spurrier's call not Connor's.
boonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #152
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
I'd say Garcia and Shaw are about neck in neck as far as being a "better" QB in terms of production now.
There is no comparison.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #153
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

It blows my mind how our fanbase usually settles into two "camps" regarding our starting quarterback.

It's OK to both support and criticize people throughout the year. Connor's a great QB, we wouldn't be where we are now without him, but it's also silly to say that there are certain things he can't do better.

He does wait too long to throw, he does out think himself sometimes, he does take off too early on occasion, and just as inexplicably take a sack for no good reason the next time.

He'll also make an opposing defense look stupid, throws a great touch pass to the RB's, and will occasionally make a throw that makes you say, "didn't know he could do that."

It's OK to be happy he's your QB and still think he has room to improve.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #154
Emery
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
It blows my mind how our fanbase usually settles into two "camps" regarding our starting quarterback.

It's OK to both support and criticize people throughout the year. Connor's a great QB, we wouldn't be where we are now without him, but it's also silly to say that there are certain things he can't do better.

He does wait too long to throw, he does out think himself sometimes, he does take off too early on occasion, and just as inexplicably take a sack for no good reason the next time.

He'll also make an opposing defense look stupid, throws a great touch pass to the RB's, and will occasionally make a throw that makes you say, "didn't know he could do that."

Don't you dare try to be reasonable. It is clear that if you have any criticism then you hate Connor and are ready for the next qb. Don't try to confuse the argument.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #155
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post

Not a single Connor supporter has said that he is a perfect, flawless quarterback. I'm a big supporter, and I'd say your breakdown of Connor is right on the money, both pros and cons. He's an excellent quarterback who still has room for improvement.

The supporters have given justified reasons for their belief in Connor. And many who've pointed out flaws have been reasonable in doing so, like yourself.

But there ARE bashers who've been unreasonable and negative to the point of blindness. (Red Devil comes to mind.) The supporters have been completely justified in combatting that and calling it out.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #156
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Last time I checked, the reason we play football games is to win them. Shaw has done that better than any QB we've ever had. The dude is out there to win games, not force the ball downfield to please our dumbass fans. I think some of you guys would rather be pulling for UT right now. STFU.
The problems is that the 2 he lost this season cost us a shot at the SECCG and the NC. Can't afford that next season.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #157
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

Connor, Kenny, Jadevone, Devin and Mike, etc. intend to win. They know they will win. The fan base does not believe. I have detected a hint of optimism beginning today. I suggest catching it and support this team. They won't let you down. Some fans already have.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #158
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
N/M.
Kaka: "If Connor Shaw doesn't have his best year his senior year then I'll eat my hat"

You: "Get your ketchup ready"

You've said what you've got to say, hoss.

You're an ungrateful, illogical, irrational, shortsighted "Carolina fan". I think we all know why I put that in parentheses. You are one of the few posters on here who take the criticisms of Shaw across the line into what I consider insults/bashing.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #159
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
C2, you and I are so much on the same page that it is scary. Clemson's defensive secondary is atrocious. They could be the worst secondary in all of college football. But you can't take advantage of that, if you don't throw it.

That is why I say, in THIS ONE GAME, we need to have a QB in the game that will throw the damn ball. I don't care if it is Seth Strickland or Andrew Clifford.

My honest opinion is that Andrew Clifford could rack up yards against Clemson's secondary.

So if Shaw is willing to throw the ball on Saturday, we will be fine. He will torch them if he will throw it.

But he has to throw it and if he doesn't, then the next guy needs to come in.

Just like Spurrier said "Connor, you have to throw it somewhere."

And remember, I am a big Connor Shaw supporter.
I hope you emailed your game plan to the HBC. I'm sure he will take it into consideration and maybe start one of the QBs you suggested. With their combined records I'm sure we could put up a good showing.
PS: He might even find a place for you on next years staff.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #160
JQ94
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

...he is what he is.