CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
El Cid Ranger
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
ReadR00ster
2000grad
gadeneer1986
taylorssc
gocockswyn
Outland
Fight, win, kick a-- (1041)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (897)
CFN prediction for a (817)
Why I'm hopeful abou (671)
The Gator Bowl wants (638)
A simple defensive l (597)
What happened to thi (566)
USC will upset Aubur (565)
Ranking Top HC jobs (442)
This is War (399)
Cann tipping plays?
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Ranking the SEC Football
Name a Gamecock
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Five Upstate High School
The Gator Bowl wants us!
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Media tabs South Carolina

Old 11-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
DA954BADBOY
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2110801
DA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot material
Default NCAA is trying to black mail Miami?

Check this out.

"The purpose of this letter is to apprise you that the NCAA enforcement staff is requesting to schedule an interview with your clients regarding their knowledge of or involvement in possible NCAA violations concerning the University of Miami, Florida, football program.

"Interviewing your clients is important in order for the enforcement staff to conduct a thorough investigation, and both the staff and the institution request you and your clients’ cooperation in this matter. However, at this time, all attempts to schedule and execute interviews with [blank] have been unsuccessful. As a result, this letter serves as a formal and final request by the NCAA enforcement staff for interviews with [blank] to be completed by Nov. 23, 2012.

“If we do not hear back from you or your clients by that time, the staff will consider the non-response as your client’s admission of involvement in NCAA violations. You may contact me at [blank] in order to arrange this interview. Your assistance in this matter is appreciated.”

Sincerely,
Molly Richman,
Assistant Director of Enforcement

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiam...really-is.html

Also note that Molly Richman is a UF grad. So the NCAA is willing to believe the word of a convicted liar who is doing twenty years in prison? Looks like the NCAA is getting desperate. Is this not the biggest corrupt institute ever?

Good luck NCAA. This one might be your down fall.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material
Default Re: NCAA is trying to black mail Miami?

I don't see a problem.

Why are the players refusing to speak to the NCAA? Surely they know that sub interviews would not be under oath. They could literally lie their asses off if they wanted to.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Your team cheats and can't even win

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

They are elevating this. It's a common practice when you cannot get the subject party to cooperate.
And we can't assume the only evidence they have is from the one guy in jail. They have an obligation to conduct a thorough investigation.

I'm not sticking up for the NCAA, but lots of investigations are handled this way.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

I don' think blackmail is the right term here. They requested access to someone involved in the investigation. The person has refused. Yes, it's suspicious. This is a school that been known for paying recruits for decades, now there's a whistle blower who can provide evidence. The evidence is coming from a convicted liar, so take it for what it's worth, but if he can provide tangible proof, it shouldn't be discounted just b/c he's locked up.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1705674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Its not like the NCAA can penalize players who are no longer under their jurisdiction.....its a hollow threat...

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
I don' think blackmail is the right term here. They requested access to someone involved in the investigation. The person has refused. Yes, it's suspicious. This is a school that been known for paying recruits for decades, now there's a whistle blower who can provide evidence. The evidence is coming from a convicted liar, so take it for what it's worth, but if he can provide tangible proof, it shouldn't be discounted just b/c he's locked up.
You'd have discount half the player reports if you want by that ideal.

Nothing wrong with what they wrote. It is base legal stuff. If someone refuses to answer questions in an investigation it often can be seen as admitting to what has been charged. Why would a person not go to the conference and if they had no illegal activity? Miami is corrupt as hell and deserves a worse ban than PSU got.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Its not like the NCAA can penalize players who are no longer under their jurisdiction.....its a hollow threat...
The threat isn't to the player as much as tithe school. They will assume he took illegal benefits if be doesn't testify otherwise.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

The NCAA is not a court of law and have no subpoena power to force someone to testify under the threat of perjury.

The NCAA, in the end, uses whatever facts that can be collected and also reasonable conclusions based on certain acts and testimony which seem to validate in some areas where lack of other cooperation or specific documentation might no longer be avaialable.

If all those former Miami players pointed out by Shapiro and/or others refuse to testify, then the worst will be thought if enough other factors seem to point in the same direction. I know if someone was throwing baseless allegations about me and things I supposedly had done, they couldn't keep me away from the NCAA Investigators. I would be first in line to clear my name and that of others, if possible.

Silence does not mean admission of guilt, but it still is deafening, especially when many people refuse to talk w/o any threat of jail or fines hanging over their heads.

From my understanding, Shapiro kept detailed notes (thousands of papges) of what he did for others, who he met, when and where they were, photos of many events, etc. Methinks the Miami people know they can't deny much and don't want to be shunned by the Miami crowd in the future, should they return to visit. Remember that many of Miami's kids were from South Florida. That makes it difficult on them and their families if they confirm Shapiro's allegations and be forever known as traitors that helped possibly bring about sanctions that come close to the Death Penalty for the program. The "U" has already fallen far off from where they once were, now play in an awful stadium 40 miles from campus, and has a pedestrian crowd at most games. A big bomb from the NCAA (which almost seems inevitable) could take it another decade or longer to recover. They perhaps would be dropped from the ACC, if the ACC is still around.

The NCAA should make that a regular tactic for those who refuse to testify, regardless of school.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22107959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

NCAA is history, as soon as 4 super conf are formed and decide to regulate themselves.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain9Dragons View Post
NCAA is history, as soon as 4 super conf are formed and decide to regulate themselves.
Even if that happens, they will eventually be forced (due to rampant cheating in ever new, inventive ways...which is why the NCAA regulations are so many) to take many of the same actions. Either that and just admit colleges are going to be semi-pro and not waste the time of athletes actually becoming students. That will be the day I stop watching all sports.

Yeah, the NCAA seems a little unbalanced in their rulings and investigations. That is what needs to be fixed, not the attempt to keep the athletes as near a student as possible.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Thats far from blackmail..it is a very good tactic. if you dont have the time to defend you and your university it only makes sense they are complicit in the shenanigans.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain9Dragons View Post
If the NCAA would cease to exist then all other sports but football and maybe basketball would cease to exist.

The NCAA still regulates the national championships for all the other sports, without the NCAA who's going to regulate all those sports?

I could see football break off and go on its own though.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
DA954BADBOY
Game MVP

Male

DA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
The NCAA is not a court of law and have no subpoena power to force someone to testify under the threat of perjury.

The NCAA, in the end, uses whatever facts that can be collected and also reasonable conclusions based on certain acts and testimony which seem to validate in some areas where lack of other cooperation or specific documentation might no longer be avaialable.

If all those former Miami players pointed out by Shapiro and/or others refuse to testify, then the worst will be thought if enough other factors seem to point in the same direction. I know if someone was throwing baseless allegations about me and things I supposedly had done, they couldn't keep me away from the NCAA Investigators. I would be first in line to clear my name and that of others, if possible.

Silence does not mean admission of guilt, but it still is deafening, especially when many people refuse to talk w/o any threat of jail or fines hanging over their heads.

From my understanding, Shapiro kept detailed notes (thousands of papges) of what he did for others, who he met, when and where they were, photos of many events, etc. Methinks the Miami people know they can't deny much and don't want to be shunned by the Miami crowd in the future, should they return to visit. Remember that many of Miami's kids were from South Florida. That makes it difficult on them and their families if they confirm Shapiro's allegations and be forever known as traitors that helped possibly bring about sanctions that come close to the Death Penalty for the program. The "U" has already fallen far off from where they once were, now play in an awful stadium 40 miles from campus, and has a pedestrian crowd at most games. A big bomb from the NCAA (which almost seems inevitable) could take it another decade or longer to recover. They perhaps would be dropped from the ACC, if the ACC is still around.

The NCAA should make that a regular tactic for those who refuse to testify, regardless of school.
I agree with what you're saying but also there have been claims by Shapiro that have proven to be false. Also how can you prove purchases when a credit card bill only shows what has been purchased not who its been purchased for.

Also remember this quote from the Auburn/Scam investigation.

"The other three players interviewed by HBO declined to speak with the NCAA, which said "their lack of cooperation and lack of any other information" left insufficient reason to conclude that any violations occurred."

Ive said berfore there will be lawsuits filed if the NCAA hammers Miami. Then they will have to put it all on the table. Also remember Shapiro refused also to testify under oath.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
Erik
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Erik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA954BADBOY View Post

Also remember this quote from the Auburn/Scam investigation.

"The other three players interviewed by HBO declined to speak with the NCAA, which said "their lack of cooperation and lack of any other information" left insufficient reason to conclude that any violations occurred."
Helps that they were crap. Their teammates said they were crap. HBO paid at least one of the players that they interviewed, it was a manufactured scandal.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
DA954BADBOY
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Helps that they were crap. Their teammates said they were crap. HBO paid at least one of the players that they interviewed, it was a manufactured scandal.
If the NCAA is resulting to violating 5th amendment rights then you should be concerned. Then again they're ran by a UF grad. So the SEC should be ok. Put Shapiro under oath is a joke. Like he's already doing 20 years so what does lying under oath going to cost him. NCAA has a big black cloud over head.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
If the NCAA is resulting to violating 5th amendment rights then you should be concerned. Then again they're ran by a UF grad. So the SEC should be ok. Put Shapiro under oath is a joke. Like he's already doing 20 years so what does lying under oath going to cost him. NCAA has a big black cloud over head.
5th amendment only applies in a court of law

Which is why I stated- these guys could agree to interview with the NCAA and deny everything, and there is nothing the NCAA could do about it.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

I've never received any "black mail"
Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #19
DA954BADBOY
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
5th amendment only applies in a court of law

Which is why I stated- these guys could agree to interview with the NCAA and deny everything, and there is nothing the NCAA could do about it.
Very true.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
Very true.
So you agree that the university/players not doing that is very suspicious?