CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Aggie96
Gamecocks1137
jebodiah
b381l
Acockolypse Now
Gamecock in TX
cockycrazy2001
jellafever
yazoo
Vote for Browns star (3160)
Shaw Lighting Up Bro (2283)
2016 Commitment - Ja (1887)
Preparing for the sm (1546)
Connor Shaw intervie (931)
Gameday Garnet Polo (802)
Aggie Statistics (763)
Clowney (759)
They are coming to y (676)
Free furniture if A& (490)
Preparing for the smash r
Question about renewing (
Spurrier accepts cockys c
texags
They are coming to your c
Aggie Statistics
Hard Knocks this week.
What would be your defini
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Gameday Garnet Polo

Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
mick66
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit
Default Gameplans on O & D- What do you expect?

Just wondering what everyone is expecting to see from SC and Clemson. In particular, should we expect to see more I formation? Unless Shaw's much healthier than anyone is letting on, I doubt we'll run much zone read unless we have a lead late, as A. he won't be as effective and B. they won't want to risk aggravating his injury. Really hoping we run, run, and run some more. Both Miles and Davis could really be effective against these guys. On Clemson's D, Shaw torched them last year when they went man coverage both running and passing, so I'd guess they'd run a lot of zone if we do go zone read.
For Clemson, you'd have to think they'll do whatever they can to prevent Boyd from getting his world rocked, particularly early in the game. I'll bet they'll have 2 guys assigned to Clowney all game, and as a result I'll bet Ward will move him around a lot like he did early in the year. Expecting to see a lot of jet sweeps and their typical razzle-dazzle, as well as some bombs when they go max protect. I hope our DBs get very physical with their WRs both to establish the tone and to give our DL more time to get to Boyd.
Don't be surprised if Clowney completely goes off in this game. Between it being a rivalry game, him being in the final three for Bednarik award and getting called out by Dalton Freeman, we might see something special.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
jch81
Blue Chip

Male

jch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Gameplans on O & D- What do you expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
Just wondering what everyone is expecting to see from SC and Clemson. In particular, should we expect to see more I formation? Unless Shaw's much healthier than anyone is letting on, I doubt we'll run much zone read unless we have a lead late, as A. he won't be as effective and B. they won't want to risk aggravating his injury. Really hoping we run, run, and run some more. Both Miles and Davis could really be effective against these guys. On Clemson's D, Shaw torched them last year when they went man coverage both running and passing, so I'd guess they'd run a lot of zone if we do go zone read.
For Clemson, you'd have to think they'll do whatever they can to prevent Boyd from getting his world rocked, particularly early in the game. I'll bet they'll have 2 guys assigned to Clowney all game, and as a result I'll bet Ward will move him around a lot like he did early in the year. Expecting to see a lot of jet sweeps and their typical razzle-dazzle, as well as some bombs when they go max protect. I hope our DBs get very physical with their WRs both to establish the tone and to give our DL more time to get to Boyd.
Don't be surprised if Clowney completely goes off in this game. Between it being a rivalry game, him being in the final three for Bednarik award and getting called out by Dalton Freeman, we might see something special.
I would expect Clemson to use a lot of short quick passes to start off the game to see if the speed at the skill positions can break one. A writer for a Clemson site said on avg Tajh needs 3 seconds from the snap to the ball to it out of his hand.(includes the snap, dropback, find receiver, throw) I respect Clowney a lot and he is a freak of nature but Chad is going to do everything in his power to create easy passing situations for Boyd that dont take a long time to develop. A lot of dump offs and screens atleast to start out. (mixed in with some runs) Im sure Clowney will probably get a sack or two but we will just have to wait and see. The oline is better than last years line not that thats saying much but hopefully they can do a decent job on Clowney without having to max protect the whole time.
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
THIS! Clowney is going to be very motivated for this game. I don't see it happening, but if Clemson somehow manages to keep Clowney from having a BIG impact on this game, then I will have to give them credit. Because that would be one hell of a coaching job to successfully scheme to stop Clowney.

I think that scheming is the only way to even have a chance because you certainly aren't going to just man up and go athlete to athlete on Clowney. If you do, then you lose.

The only other option would be like what jch81 just said and that is to throw quick passes all game, which I do think Clemson can do successfully if our guys aren't tackling well (Arkansas game)
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

SC-
On O- control the ball, long drives, run the football, eat clock, mixed with play action short passes to drag routes. This will limit clemsons possession and give our defense the rest the need to make the one or two critical stops that could change the game

On D- Pressure Boyd into making bad throws or runs, dont give up the big play, hold them in the redzone to field goals, get off the field on third down!

Clem
On O - up tempo keep SC on their heels and guessing, quick underneath passes and screens to take away SC pass rush, shots down field, make SC secondary defend a really good WR corp (nothing different than theyve done all year)

On D- Stop the run, make shaw beat you with his arm, get pressure pressure and more pressure
Old 11-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
ScottK
4-Star

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post

On D- Pressure Boyd into making bad throws or runs, dont give up the big play, hold them in the redzone to field goals, get off the field on third down!
And hopefully Swearinger and others can put a little fear into the receivers early on.
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
jch81
Blue Chip

Male

jch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
SC-
On O- control the ball, long drives, run the football, eat clock, mixed with play action short passes to drag routes. This will limit clemsons possession and give our defense the rest the need to make the one or two critical stops that could change the game

Clem
On O - up tempo keep SC on their heels and guessing, quick underneath passes and screens to take away SC pass rush, shots down field, make SC secondary defend a really good WR corp (nothing different than theyve done all year)

On D- Stop the run, make shaw beat you with his arm, get pressure pressure and more pressure
Clemsons defense will be the key. Last week NC ST was just throwing the ball over the top of the secondary. Although Glennon is probably a better qb than Shaw, he will have no problem doing the same thing if the secondary doesnt get in better position. Add to the fact that 4 Clemson db's are out for this game means I wouldnt be surprised to see Spurrier take some chances downfield tom. night.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
I would expect Clemson to use a lot of short quick passes to start off the game to see if the speed at the skill positions can break one. A writer for a Clemson site said on avg Tajh needs 3 seconds from the snap to the ball to it out of his hand.(includes the snap, dropback, find receiver, throw) I respect Clowney a lot and he is a freak of nature but Chad is going to do everything in his power to create easy passing situations for Boyd that dont take a long time to develop. A lot of dump offs and screens atleast to start out. (mixed in with some runs) Im sure Clowney will probably get a sack or two but we will just have to wait and see. The oline is better than last years line not that thats saying much but hopefully they can do a decent job on Clowney without having to max protect the whole time.
I agree with you on that as well. Will be interesting to see how often Taylor gets dropped into coverage and what other adjustments Ward will make to contain that short passing game. Our DBs were in the receivers' grills all night long during last year's game. I doubt they'll give much cushion this year either, as they don't want Boyd to get into a rhythm.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

I expect Kenny Miles to do what he does best against Clemson is run run run run run. 150 yards is my prediction.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
onamission
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1300
onamission has hatched from the shell

I believe kick_ball put it best but the key will be can we get boyd in a funk before they can get shaw in one
onamission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
Clemsons defense will be the key. Last week NC ST was just throwing the ball over the top of the secondary. Although Glennon is probably a better qb than Shaw, he will have no problem doing the same thing if the secondary doesnt get in better position. Add to the fact that 4 Clemson db's are out for this game means I wouldnt be surprised to see Spurrier take some chances downfield tom. night.
i think a big difference how ever is glennon stood in the pocket, threw the ball, but took some shots as a result... i just dont see shaw standing in the pocket and throwing like glennon did... i see shaw rolling out more and throwing more underneath passes to the TEs and ace...

I will say texas ran a play last night that i love and would like to see us run more (if we have it in our playbook) which is a bootleg with a TE running a drag route underneath the line backer so by the time the QB finished his bootleg the TE was past the LB picking him up and the WR has cleared out and all the QB had to do was pitch and catch for solid gains
Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I don't expect Clemson to do anything different than any other time. No smack intended, but I don't see Morris trying to make any adjustments and see him going for the jugular on every play.

If Carolina can't get the running game going, it's over by the 3rd quarter

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Me personally i would love for boyd to throw quick short passes. The reason behind this is every QB who has has been picked and one ran back for a td. So please throw quick passes.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

If clemsux does scheme for Clowney, that will open the flood gates for the rest of the D-line. If they want to go max protect most of the time, we can use Clowney as a decoy and pressure from Taylor and blitz Swag and/or an outside lb.

We can't go on last year's clemsux defensive scheme, remember, Steele got thrown under the bus and Veneble is ther now.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
CU_Tigers4Life
Recruit

Male

CU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervous

Clemson's offense will use a ton of motion...We do that as well if not better than any offense in the Nation...That will affect the response time of USC's defense and we be the big compensation to Carolina's Defense. Also, the high tempo pace will create some problems. Our tempo is much better than last year and snapping an offensive play every 15 seconds puts a tremendous amount of pressure on even the best defenses.........

A couple of things will be big in this area of the game. Turnovers being the key. We have done a pretty good job protecting the ball and if we continue that we will be fine. As has been stated, getting to Tajh is everything....The problem USC has this year that didn't exist last year was Tajh being 20 pounds lighter and really being an effective runner. Tajh distributes the ball better than any QB in the nation and his release is extremely quick.

If USC drops into Zone, he will take USC apart in 10-15 yard increments....Carolina is goingto have to gamble with some man coverage and bump and run stuff to see if they can affect the timming
CU_Tigers4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
Roosterdog
Two Deep

Male

Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Keys to us winning IMO-

Run the ball
Get TE's involved in pass game
No turnovers
Our DB's need to check their wideouts at the line, try to knock them off their routes, disrupt timing.

GO COCKS!!!
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #16
jch81
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOps Cock View Post
Me personally i would love for boyd to throw quick short passes. The reason behind this is every QB who has has been picked and one ran back for a td. So please throw quick passes.
You havent played against receivers and tes like you will face sat. either though. Clemson does this regardless so you will get your wish. I just wouldnt be so confident about that.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 960
Copperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talons

If our O line takes care of business and they do not, it will be a repeat of last year. No turnovers a plus as always

Gotta love it
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

For Carolina on offense, the plan is to run the ball like it is every week. You're going to see the 2 TE/wing sets and we're going to set up play action and attack the 2nd string corners as much as possible. If we get Miles and Davis going early and often, you can look for Spurrier to take shots down the field. Also, dont be surprised if Shaq Roland has a coming out party.

For Carolina on defense: bussiness as usual. We'll play 1 deep saftey in a nickel package to start with and we wont blitz much. The thought is clemson will keep backs and TE's in to help block clowney and taylor. If this happens that leaves more people to cover Nuke and Watkins. If we are able to stop the run with our front 4, we can tee off on boyd. The biggest key is making sure clemson cant run the ball though.

Also, Clemson will be very jacked to start the game and the joint will be crazy, so expect us to play close to the vest the 1st drive or 2 on offense. very important we dont turn it over and make mistakes early.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
Also, Clemson will be very jacked to start the game and the joint will be crazy, so expect us to play close to the vest the 1st drive or 2 on offense. very important we dont turn it over and make mistakes early.
This is a huge factor... but i will say in the last game up there they did score a long TD pass first ...but i think this year will be different... cannot afford a florida-esque start!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

USC lots of 3 de formations to try to pressure
press d on the edges
TE will be a key to the game
Clem Zone D with a spy to stop Connor
They will run their O and we need to get some stops
talon is offline   Reply With Quote