CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
smoovecock
Lonnie
b381l
l^l^lBGCock
kick_ball
Lalli25
thekob
etowngangsta
The Yancey
GOOD NEWS ABOUT SPUR (3532)
Starting Lineup Anno (1891)
Cant believe no one (1885)
We Have to Pass (1000)
Suspicious sign-in a (832)
Poster on another si (705)
Spurrier weekly pres (661)
Rivalry Thoughts and (437)
Two Gamecock women a (337)
This would be awesom (333)
2015 Commitment - Marquav
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
The Defense
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
GOOD NEWS ABOUT SPURRIER
SEC referees?
How is Shaq Davidson's re
Why has there been 40 yea
Comparing Results Of Comm
USC/clemson spread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #81
cocky bizz
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
cocky bizz has feathers coming incocky bizz has feathers coming in
Default Re: Do we have a QB controversy going into 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
I was proud of Dylan today, but a healthy Connor Shaw is still our #1 option for 2013, in my opinion. I don't want to take anything away from Dylan at all, but Clemson's defense isn't exactly stellar (it's a bit of a joke, actually). Connor lit them up last year, and he would likely have done the same again this year, if healthy.

I will agree that it's a luxury to have 2 quarterbacks we can win with (hell, we may have as many as 4 that we can win with next season, with Nosovitch and Mitch on the sideline).

But I still think Connor is the man for one more season. I trust Spurrier, either way.
how in the hell could you possible believe that connor is our best option for next year? seriously, you need to stop huffing his jock-strap! our receivers are much more motivated when dylan is behind center. you ever played football? i would much rather have a qb that can throw the ball and march down the field than a qb with happy feet that throws duck passes. get with the program buddy.
cocky bizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #82
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Forget the stats. Dylans arms is miles ahead of shaws as far as strength. He anticipates better, and he is more accurate. U can't dispute that. Its clear as day.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #83
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

All I can say is how much more exciting our offense is to watch with DT in there. The question is, can DT perform the same way he did last night against a good defense?
Old 11-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #84
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
All I can say is how much more exciting our offense is to watch with DT in there. The question is, can DT perform the same way he did last night against a good defense?
He played well by making the throws. If steve can call the right plays.. I believe he can beat anyone with his arm
Old 11-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #85
Percy Jackson
Walk On

Male

Percy Jackson has feathers coming inPercy Jackson has feathers coming in

You know, I'm a long-time fan and mostly a lurker here. But I wanted to mention something that is mostly overlooked; that is the difference between a beat-up starting SEC QB with all the pressures of meeting expectations versus a fresh healthy backup QB with little or no pressure playing with house money. How many times have you seen a reserve QB come in and look like superman one game and earn another few starts. Then when the crushing burden of expectations is placed on his shoulders, he begins to fade. I'm not suggesting that this scenario would be in DT's future, but let's not annoint him just yet.
Percy Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #86
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Dylan's arm strength is much better than Shaws. It seems like DT just sees the field better and as Spurrier says he just ain't gon take off running with it he's gonna throw it. How long has it been since we've seen a QB throw a back shoulder fade in the endzone like that 1 TD to Bruce early. That was a thing of beauty. DT seems to really love to push the ball downfield and to be aggressive. He can also make some plays with his feet as well like we saw on several plays last night.

Shaw is still a great player and when healthy he can move around and make plays and he is a warrior but he just doesn't have the arm to make all the throws. And with a foot injury he is just not as effective because his running is limited.

Going forward I feel pretty confident with DT heading into next year and a healthy Shaw it is a nice thing to have 2 effective QBs.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #87
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Just calling it like I see it. Not sure SC can win a title with either guy from what we've seen, barring huge improvements.

Spurrier calls a much better game with Thompson at QB and he played a hell of a game for his second start on the road against Clemson. But man there were far too many ugly throws last night. He skipped at least 5 passes to open receivers. Also had at least 2 balls that should've been picked but weren't. I was pleasantly surprised with his running ability, but he also showed some pretty terrible pocket presence on a number of plays. Though, admittedly, Shaw does the same thing a few times per game.

At least Thompson stands in there and throws the ball downfield though. I don't think there should be a 'controversy' but there should be competition as you would expect from Spurrier regardless.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #88
purebredcock
Banned

Male

purebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to purebredcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Jackson View Post
You know, I'm a long-time fan and mostly a lurker here. But I wanted to mention something that is mostly overlooked; that is the difference between a beat-up starting SEC QB with all the pressures of meeting expectations versus a fresh healthy backup QB with little or no pressure playing with house money. How many times have you seen a reserve QB come in and look like superman one game and earn another few starts. Then when the crushing burden of expectations is placed on his shoulders, he begins to fade. I'm not suggesting that this scenario would be in DT's future, but let's not annoint him just yet.
Man ive always said this, but not so purty spoken
purebredcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #89
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervous

Can we keep them both pa?? Purdy please!!!
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #90
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Apparently the only QB controversy is in this forum...because the HBC seems to buy what Shaw is selling.

It's obvious DT is a pocket passer with a strong arm and isn't afraid to trust the system, where as CS is an athlete with a decent arm who makes plays with his feet...but hesitant to trust the system. A mixture of both may be the answer.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #91
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

23 of 41 and several balls that should have been picked. i don't think we have controversy. the ball coach knows who he wants in.

Dylan stepped in and did what we needed but i was definitely holding my breath on every throw

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #92
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHONGILMOREFAN! View Post
Forget the stats. Dylans arms is miles ahead of shaws as far as strength. He anticipates better, and he is more accurate. U can't dispute that. Its clear as day.
Don't see a big difference in strength...and accuracy goes to Shaw even though last night Dylan did throw some pretty passes on target. Sorry SGF...Connor is still the better passing QB...numbers don't lie...that's the only thing you can't dispute

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #93
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
Don't see a big difference in strength...and accuracy goes to Shaw even though last night Dylan did throw some pretty passes on target. Sorry SGF...Connor is still the better passing QB...numbers don't lie...that's the only thing you can't dispute
Lolololololol you have either got to be Shaw's mom or sister. Hell maybe his girlfriend. This is getting ridiculous.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #94
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHONGILMOREFAN! View Post
he isnt more accurate, and he doesnt have the decision making of Connor. He should have had 3 or 4 picked.

don't think i am being negative, He was good enough to win and i wasnt upset to see him in there just if you watched the game you know he missed some throws and made a few bad decisions

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #95
unmeaty
Recruit

Male

unmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPit

NC State lit klemmy up for 597 yards through the air. DT played well in relief but to anoint him the starter at this point on the strength of two games against ECU and Klem Tech is asinine.

Ask yourself a question - if DT is really the only guy capable of running Spurrier's offense like he wants it run, why the hell does Spurrier keep going back to Shaw? Any reasonable person stops right there with their analysis, but for some reason that's just not enough evidence for a few folks. They must know better than the winningest coach in USC history what guy should be running his offense. Baffling.

Major kudos to DT for coming off the bench and helping us win last night. But please let's not gloss over the bad aspects, too. Too many times he wasn't aware of the play clock and caused us to burn all of our timeouts. It also let klemmy's defense tee off on us because we were snapping the ball at the last second. He took some ugly sacks that could have been avoided by stepping up in the pocket. These are all correctable things for sure, but will they be corrected in time for the bowl game? Negative, that only comes with real game experience.

Several of his passes could have been picked off and one was on a throw that had no chance to connect in double coverage. Dylan is a high risk/reward guy for sure. The payoff is great but mistakes will kill us against better teams. klemmy has one of the absolute worst pass defenses in all of college football. Let's pull the reigns back a bit with this QB controversy crap.
unmeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #96
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmeaty View Post
NC State lit klemmy up for 597 yards through the air. DT played well in relief but to anoint him the starter at this point on the strength of two games against ECU and Klem Tech is asinine.

Ask yourself a question - if DT is really the only guy capable of running Spurrier's offense like he wants it run, why the hell does Spurrier keep going back to Shaw? Any reasonable person stops right there with their analysis, but for some reason that's just not enough evidence for a few folks. They must know better than the winningest coach in USC history what guy should be running his offense. Baffling.

Major kudos to DT for coming off the bench and helping us win last night. But please let's not gloss over the bad aspects, too. Too many times he wasn't aware of the play clock and caused us to burn all of our timeouts. It also let klemmy's defense tee off on us because we were snapping the ball at the last second. He took some ugly sacks that could have been avoided by stepping up in the pocket. These are all correctable things for sure, but will they be corrected in time for the bowl game? Negative, that only comes with real game experience.

Several of his passes could have been picked off and one was on a throw that had no chance to connect in double coverage. Dylan is a high risk/reward guy for sure. The payoff is great but mistakes will kill us against better teams. klemmy has one of the absolute worst pass defenses in all of college football. Let's pull the reigns back a bit with this QB controversy crap.
I'm not sure if you saw this. But Clemson's D played their best game all year. They were clearly amped up early.

DT has only started two games. And yet has looked better in those two games than Shaw has ever looked.

And clearly he is the only person that can runs the plays spurrier wants, because when he is in is the only time spurrier runs the offense they way he wants. It's clear as day.

Do I think DT is the savior heck no. But it's clear he is the best QB we have right now.

If you watched the game last night you saw how the position is supposed to be played.

Shaw has fooled many a gamecock fan with his high % this year. But ask yourself how many times a game does he actually throw the ball more than ten yards down the field? Two?
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #97
uscJustin06
4-Star

Male

uscJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervous

Some of you need to get your eyes checked out. Connor is clearly the better QB. He completes 17% more of his passes, despite being banged up all year. His yards per attempt is higher. His QB Rating is 20 points higher, despite playing against far better competition this year then dylan and HE's PLAYED INJURED. We scored a measly 27 points last night against clemson. NC State scored 48. Along with being a better passer, Connor is a better runner and also forces the defense to account for his running ability on every play which also helps out our running backs. Our running game is MUCH better with connor playing.
uscJustin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #98
CockaThaWalk
Kick Dawgs Peel Taters

Male

CockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
I'm not sure if you saw this. But Clemson's D played their best game all year. They were clearly amped up early.

DT has only started two games. And yet has looked better in those two games than Shaw has ever looked.

And clearly he is the only person that can runs the plays spurrier wants, because when he is in is the only time spurrier runs the offense they way he wants. It's clear as day.

Do I think DT is the savior heck no. But it's clear he is the best QB we have right now.

If you watched the game last night you saw how the position is supposed to be played.

Shaw has fooled many a gamecock fan with his high % this year. But ask yourself how many times a game does he actually throw the ball more than ten yards down the field? Two?
Nailed it. Dylan can ball. His vision and confidence will only get better.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #99
unmeaty
Recruit

Male

unmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post

There's no doubt that Dylan is far more willing to pull the trigger on a down field throw than Shaw. That's not even up for debate. However, Shaw is more apt to take what the defense gives him rather than force the issue. Shaw did throw down field much more against Mizzou, UT and Arkansas because those defenses dictated it. He only completed 6 passes against Georgia, but averaged over 16 yards a completion. In other words, he did what was asked of him to win the game.

So what did DT do against a legitimate defense? Against UF he was 8 for 20 for 83 yards, no touchdowns and an interception. I don't want to hear excuses about why, the reason why is because Florida has a very good defense. End of story.

I don't want to turn this into a DT bash session because the guy can sling it and he came up huge for us against kLIMPSon in relief. I just go back to my original position on the subject - if DT is the guy to run Spurrier's offense the way SOS wants it run, why does the HBC keep going to Shaw? If you think you know the answer to that question better than Spurrier, you might just be a bit delusional.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #100
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

I love dylan. But it was just Clemson, after all...