CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
b381l
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
gamecockgal
spareparts
Yearofthegamecock
qcgamecock
markp_vip
Dylan Thompson's pas (3396)
ST coach fired this (3067)
Celebrity Guest Pick (2881)
Clem5on fans are bes (2647)
Let's talk about Mat (2080)
Rank the SEC startin (996)
So, um, yeah the NFL (979)
7:30 kickoff for Ken (970)
Defensive personnel (884)
Mizzou Depth Chart v (808)
NFL: BEARS @ JETS Mon 9/2
Rank the SEC starting QBs
Dylan Thompson's passing
Gameday Sign Ideas
CockyTalk Football Pickem
Mizzou Depth Chart vs Sou
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Celebrity Guest Picker...
Is it possible for our Sp

Old 11-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #61
GamecockDad1531
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Best Spurrier playcalling game .. EVER

Honestly, I should apologize to Dylan. I said to my wife that he couldn't get it done. I'm very happy that he proved me wrong. Pts to Dylan for playing a good game.
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #62
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
I couldn't disagree more, C2. Was I happy with the end result? Absolutely, but with Clemson's porous efense, we should've been able to put 60 on the board. Some of the problem was lack of execution, but if NC State scored 48, then a better team like ours should've been able to top that, so that's enough to tell me the playcalling was a LONG way from being the best Spurrier has had yet. Also, do you REALLY think one good game against a piss-poor efense is enough to cause people to eat crow about Jr.? If so, then I'm really not sure what I can say to that. At the end of the day, I'm a happy gamecock, so all is well. GO 'COCKS!
Im gonna disagree with you Don! This offense who has sputtered and done nothing on the road, but we came alive last night. NC state was at home and not a rivalry like this one. If you look at how the game was called(managed) is the way the Fun & Gun works. We passed the ball around all day long until the fourth Quarter when we started to just run the clock out with the run game. This is what spurrier wants. I have had a bad taste in my mouth with connor this year because he want throw the ball. He will get pressure and run. Very rarely does he step up in the pocket and throw. This is what DT does, he is a pocket passer , who last night showed us he can run to. I think that its great to have two QB's that can play, but i dont see spurrier leaving connor in for very long if he starts to stink it up. His leash got shortened even more last night.
Hostile enviroment coupled with a rivalry DT produced and would like to see him in a bowl game throw it around as well.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #63
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
I couldn't disagree more, C2. Was I happy with the end result? Absolutely, but with Clemson's porous efense, we should've been able to put 60 on the board. Some of the problem was lack of execution, but if NC State scored 48, then a better team like ours should've been able to top that, so that's enough to tell me the playcalling was a LONG way from being the best Spurrier has had yet. Also, do you REALLY think one good game against a piss-poor efense is enough to cause people to eat crow about Jr.? If so, then I'm really not sure what I can say to that. At the end of the day, I'm a happy gamecock, so all is well. GO 'COCKS!
Its not just the defense. Dylan made some really good plays last night. Escaping pressure, staying calm, getting the ball out of bounds, not forcing throws down the field when he had pressure on him.

That throw Dylan made to Bruce on the first touchdown was one of the best thrown passes ive seen all year. Perfect placement, perfect touch, that was a big time throw.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #64
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
NC State only had the ball for 26 minutes against Clemson. USC had it 39.

It has been like this every time a good passing quarterback lines up behind center for us. I've been preaching for a long time that the QB holds the keys to the skill plays success. When the QB gives Bubba's guys a chance, they produce. Period.
This. NC State doesn't have a defense. We played to our strength and kept ours fresh. Bringing them up would also be more relevant if they had actually won the game.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #65
i29gman
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
i29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonSquad View Post
Even better than Blake Mitchell against Houston? I'd say second best behind that game.
Garcia at QB against #1 Bama was pretty darn good too
i29gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #66
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 425
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

We couldn't run the ball consistently and you really can't get a blowout without it. Thompson made things happen with the help of pass protection; which of course helped our defense bc it kept them off the field.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #67
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadile View Post
DT did it on the road in a very hostile environment, and we have played poor on the road until last night. It's great to have two solid qb's!
Connor did it away at a bowl game last year to lead us to our first ever 11 win season

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #68
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
Besides the fact that he did.

You have never seen Connor shaw throw a back shoulder pass. In fact DT made throws last night that Connor hasn't even tried to make.

DT threw a two perfect prefect passes to justice where he threw the ball in a narrow hole between two defenders that was dropped.
I have saw Connor throw many back shoulder passes...what games do u watch?! U are starting to sound like a delusional tater fan...seeing things you want to see! Lol
Connor has thrown perfect passes in tight windows that was dropped as well

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #69
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
I have saw Connor throw many back shoulder passes...what games do u watch?! U are starting to sound like a delusional tater fan...seeing things you want to see! Lol
Connor has never made a throw like the one Thompson hit Bruce with on that first touchdown pass. That was more than a back shoulder throw.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #70
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
Get Connor's dick out your mouth. You are obviously the one who sees what you want to see. Everytime Dylan plays he makes throws that Connor never even attempts. Show me one back shoulder throw Connor has made. If he made one I'm sure it would be on YouTube somewhere. I'll be waiting.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #71
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Quote:
Get Connor's dick out your mouth. You are obviously the one who sees what you want to see. Everytime Dylan plays he makes throws that Connor never even attempts. Show me one back shoulder throw Connor has made. If he made one I'm sure it would be on YouTube somewhere. I'll be waiting.
Bro, get DT's dick out of your mouth...Connor Shaw has 3 losses in his career, ALL of which were against top ten opponents. And one of which he only played half the game, with THOMPSON playing the other half.

Look, I like DT under center. But against a defense with a modicum of talent, Shaw is a much much much better option. Yeah, DT lit it up against ECU, UAB, and Clemson - probably the three worst defenses that we have played all year. But LSU doesn't drop those 5 interception opportunities or allow the second slowest non lineman on our team run for 25 yards on 3rd and long. LSU doesn't give DT 5 seconds in the pocket 80% of the time.

Those that look at these games and think DT is a better option are caught up in the emotion and not thinking logically. But, such is college football. Always gonna people who think they know better than the guy getting paid millions to make the calls.

PS - I wish someone would pull up one of these threads that was made in the Garcia/Shaw era, saying "did you see those throws that shaw makes?! Garcia has never made a throw that good." At a certain point, if every single qb to come along is better than the one before him, we'd have a pretty damn unstoppable qb right now. Weird how we're in this situation huh?
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #72
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
dude chill out with the hate on this guy. Cockytalk is about opinions. Connor never attempts some of the passes because several of Dylans throws were bad decisons. everyone hates on Connor for not throwing it but Dylan missed some wide open throws too. Dylans arm strength is damn good and he is accurate at times but Connor is consistant

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #73
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

I didn't see Connor cheering on Thompson or his team one time last night. He seems a bit self-centered, I know he is all serious all the time. But last night he kinda looked like he was mad about it
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #74
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

If yall actually watched the qb.. or played football in high school... yall would see that dylan has a much stronger arm. Quicker release. I'm sorry.. but your oblivious if you think connor is the better "passer"
Old 11-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #75
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockLurker View Post
Bro, get DT's dick out of your mouth...Connor Shaw has 3 losses in his career, ALL of which were against top ten opponents. And one of which he only played half the game, with THOMPSON playing the other half.

Look, I like DT under center. But against a defense with a modicum of talent, Shaw is a much much much better option. Yeah, DT lit it up against ECU, UAB, and Clemson - probably the three worst defenses that we have played all year. But LSU doesn't drop those 5 interception opportunities or allow the second slowest non lineman on our team run for 25 yards on 3rd and long. LSU doesn't give DT 5 seconds in the pocket 80% of the time.

Those that look at these games and think DT is a better option are caught up in the emotion and not thinking logically. But, such is college football. Always gonna people who think they know better than the guy getting paid millions to make the calls.

PS - I wish someone would pull up one of these threads that was made in the Garcia/Shaw era, saying "did you see those throws that shaw makes?! Garcia has never made a throw that good." At a certain point, if every single qb to come along is better than the one before him, we'd have a pretty damn unstoppable qb right now. Weird how we're in this situation huh?
connor against eofford.. and uab before gettin hurt.. nuff said
Old 11-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #76
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

If there were 30 games a season, some of these arguments might be valid. We haven't seen enough of Dylan to know what is what. He is damn good at finding his guys when he has time. That's all you can say for sure.

Also, when Connor is in, we usually don't throw throw throw, so comparing Connor to DT isn't quite right either. When Connor did get the signal to throw throw throw, like against Tennessee, he looked about like Dylan.

But continue throwing around opinions, this discussion is fun as hell. Just don't fall into the trap of arguing with someone that is hard-lining one way or the other.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #77
DJ35
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
I didn't see Connor cheering on Thompson or his team one time last night. He seems a bit self-centered, I know he is all serious all the time. But last night he kinda looked like he was mad about it
Go back and watch the sideline shot after the first TD to Bruce.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #78
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Its not just the defense. Dylan made some really good plays last night. Escaping pressure, staying calm, getting the ball out of bounds, not forcing throws down the field when he had pressure on him.

That throw Dylan made to Bruce on the first touchdown was one of the best thrown passes ive seen all year. Perfect placement, perfect touch, that was a big time throw.
I'm very happy with Dylan's performance. To me it's along the lines of Eric Kimrey but it was for a whole game, on the road, against Clemson. It will always be one of my favorite games for that reason.

But that was a pitiful defense we played last night. One of the worst we've seen all year. Connor would have eaten them alive if he were healthy just like he did many of the other defenses we played this year that were average or worse. Connor when healthy torched all of them. Vandy, LSU, and Florida were all tough but Dylan played against Vandy and Florida and didn't do any better than Connor.

That said Dylan is one of my favorite all-time players now. He seems like a great kid and I'm really excited for him. He throws a beautiful spiral and I think the biggest thing I like about him is his attitude. He doesn't get down and he always looks like he's having a great time out there. I think our players fed off that and we gained confidence as the game went along.

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #79
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockLurker View Post

I can clearly see you are not very football smart. You must be "just a fan"

The people that think DT is better is because we see him make NFL throws every time he plays.

After every game Dylan plays in I hear "the D he played aganst sucks" and that is where I know the person that said that isn't very smart.

Because the throw still has to be made. It still has to be put in that spot. I was blown away by some of the throws he made (and two of his best passes wee dropped) I've never been blown away by a Connor shaw pass.

Also you are saying DT has ints dropped. Shaw has had his fair ammount of ints dropped this year. And he doesn't even throw the ball that much.

Also when has shaw ever lit up a good D? Arky this year? 270 yards? Kentucky 2011? UT this year? Those aren't good Ds either...
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #80
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
I can clearly see you are not very football smart. You must be "just a fan"

The people that think DT is better is because we see him make NFL throws every time he plays.

After every game Dylan plays in I hear "the D he played aganst sucks" and that is where I know the person that said that isn't very smart.

Because the throw still has to be made. It still has to be put in that spot. I was blown away by some of the throws he made (and two of his best passes wee dropped) I've never been blown away by a Connor shaw pass.

Also you are saying DT has ints dropped. Shaw has had his fair ammount of ints dropped this year. And he doesn't even throw the ball that much.

Also when has shaw ever lit up a good D? Arky this year? 270 yards? Kentucky 2011? UT this year? Those aren't good Ds either...
Connor had 317 yards of total offense against Clemson last year with 4 total TDs and no turnovers. His passer rating was 207.7 in that game.

Dylan's last night was 138.9.

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote