CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
GH
Gamecocks1137
75CarolinaFan
JoeMorrisonLives
johnnyb
garnet_black215
StormOfTalons
b381l
Welcome to Moe's (574)
Jay Paterno Attempts (507)
help with army insig (224)
Hercules - review (218)
I'm a grand godfathe (126)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (45)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (19)
Help Give Cocky a Home
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Name a Gamecock
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Good Article for those co
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
college football match up
2015 - Auden Tate
2015 - Mon Denson
Coach's media golf press

Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #101
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Do we have a QB controversy going into 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscJustin06 View Post
Some of you need to get your eyes checked out. Connor is clearly the better QB. He completes 17% more of his passes, despite being banged up all year. His yards per attempt is higher. His QB Rating is 20 points higher, despite playing against far better competition this year then dylan and HE's PLAYED INJURED. We scored a measly 27 points last night against clemson. NC State scored 48. Along with being a better passer, Connor is a better runner and also forces the defense to account for his running ability on every play which also helps out our running backs. Our running game is MUCH better with connor playing.
Hello Kettle...

We lose this game last night with a healthy Connor Shaw. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Thompson sees the entire field and is willing to throw the ball. Two things that CS doesn't do.

QB ratings don't take into account how many wide open receivers you don't see. Anyone can have a high QB rating if they only throw to their first option when no one is within 10 yards of him.

Just compare Spurrier's demeanor when each is playing. When Shaw is playing he is up tight, throwing his headset, clip board, and whatever else he can find. When Thompson is playing, he is smiling, scheming, and looks like he is having fun.

High completion percentages and QB ratings only matter if you are running the offense wide open. With CS, we are usually running about 50% of our offense.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #102
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

I think they are both good QB's that bring different things to the table, but with more experience Thompson looks like he could be a very good QB. He just beat Clemson with very minimal experience in any big games. I know it is just Clemson, but he could have easily passed for 400 yards if a hadn't short armed some of those passes early in the second half.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #103
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

I'm not ready to anoint Dylan the next great Spurrier QB just yet. Though he did play well he could of had at least 2 more picks that were dropped and he bounced it off the turf several times but he did have a lot of great throws with both touch and zip. I think we have 2 QB's in Nosovitch and Mitch that very well could take us to the next level but only time will tell.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #104
ted hamlin
Walk On

Male

ted hamlin has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
Hello Kettle...

We lose this game last night with a healthy Connor Shaw. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Thompson sees the entire field and is willing to throw the ball. Two things that CS doesn't do.

QB ratings don't take into account how many wide open receivers you don't see. Anyone can have a high QB rating if they only throw to their first option when no one is within 10 yards of him.

Just compare Spurrier's demeanor when each is playing. When Shaw is playing he is up tight, throwing his headset, clip board, and whatever else he can find. When Thompson is playing, he is smiling, scheming, and looks like he is having fun.

High completion percentages and QB ratings only matter if you are running the offense wide open. With CS, we are usually running about 50% of our offense.
Agreed... Not Bashing CS... but CS is only capable of running about 50% of the offense. I'm talking Physically Capable and I mean when he's healthy. The read is IMO some type of Hybrid Veer. Hold and Mitchell (RIP) ran the Veer effectively in '84 with most of the fireworks happening when Hold was in with his Cannon arm strength and 2 good RB's. The read was effective when Latti was in, because he could get yards even when the opposition played the run, and Dared CS to throw. No Latti , No Fear of the Pass, No Offense... Teams had at least 10 wks of tape of us running the read. Clemson was ready for the offense or lack of it, we ran against Wofford, LSU and FLA. They weren't ready for a Pro Set and a QB that could Deliver. Connor can't run a Pro Set effectively. But he can be an effective change of pace for a few sets a game. We are Blessed to have 2 Capable Starters... but believe DT is needed to run All Elements of the OFFENSE HBC wants to run. HBC will decide. GOOO COCKS!!!!
ted hamlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #105
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted hamlin View Post
Agreed... Not Bashing CS... but CS is only capable of running about 50% of the offense. I'm talking Physically Capable and I mean when he's healthy. The read is IMO some type of Hybrid Veer. Hold and Mitchell (RIP) ran the Veer effectively in '84 with most of the fireworks happening when Hold was in with his Cannon arm strength and 2 good RB's. The read was effective when Latti was in, because he could get yards even when the opposition played the run, and Dared CS to throw. No Latti , No Fear of the Pass, No Offense... Teams had at least 10 wks of tape of us running the read. Clemson was ready for the offense or lack of it, we ran against Wofford, LSU and FLA. They weren't ready for a Pro Set and a QB that could Deliver. Connor can't run a Pro Set effectively. But he can be an effective change of pace for a few sets a game. We are Blessed to have 2 Capable Starters... but believe DT is needed to run All Elements of the OFFENSE HBC wants to run. HBC will decide. GOOO COCKS!!!!
But we scored 11 more points against UT and Arkansas than we did against Clemson and those defenses are just as good if not better than Clemson's.

You guys are so full of shit it isn't even funny. Saying that a starter for us that has a record of 14-3 or whatever it is couldn't score 27 points against Clemson is just plain stupid. It is simply stupid!

Again, and I will say this in every post, this has nothing to do with Dylan. He played great and maybe he should play in the future. He should at least be in the discussion.

But to say Connor couldn't score 27 points against Clemson is just plain ****ing stupid.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #106
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Dylan played well, but let's be honest- Clemson's D is not good. If you told me that we would score 27 points vs Clemson, I would not have thought we won that game. I felt that our offense was capable of putting up 40ish points vs that Clemson D. Shaw has put up equal, if not better, numbers against similar defenses. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I see Shaw getting the nod just due to his experience. Maybe start Shaw at home and Thompson on the road from here on out? lol jk... kinda...
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #107
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Dylan played well, but let's be honest- Clemson's D is not good. If you told me that we would score 27 points vs Clemson, I would not have thought we won that game. I felt that our offense was capable of putting up 40ish points vs that Clemson D. Shaw has put up equal, if not better, numbers against similar defenses. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I see Shaw getting the nod just due to his experience. Maybe start Shaw at home and Thompson on the road from here on out? lol jk... kinda...
Haha, I agree with what you said. I didn't think 27 would get it done. But these fans that are saying that Connor couldn't have scored 27 on Clemson's defense are just being stupid. I am not sure what they are trying to prove, but it is ridiculous.

Bottom line is that we have two QBs that could do well against Clemson's defense. Why does it have to be one or the other?

Anyone who thinks Connor couldn't have scored on Clemson last night is just plain stupid.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #108
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

I think Connar went through a sophomore slump this year. Yes, I know he isn't a sophomore but he might as well be. This is his second year behind the center. I thinl coming into next year we will see Spurrier more tough on him and won't see him hesitate to yank him and win a championship doing it.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #109
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

Both Shaw & DT are great QBs. They both have positive things to contribute to the team.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #110
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEL View Post
Both Shaw & DT are great QBs. They both have positive things to contribute to the team.
exactly. And BOTH could have beaten Clemson last night.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #111
ted hamlin
Walk On

Male

ted hamlin has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
But we scored 11 more points against UT and Arkansas than we did against Clemson and those defenses are just as good if not better than Clemson's.

You guys are so full of shit it isn't even funny. Saying that a starter for us that has a record of 14-3 or whatever it is couldn't score 27 points against Clemson is just plain stupid. It is simply stupid!

Again, and I will say this in every post, this has nothing to do with Dylan. He played great and maybe he should play in the future. He should at least be in the discussion.

But to say Connor couldn't score 27 points against Clemson is just plain ****ing stupid.
Never said Connor couldn't score 27 against Clemson. I believe HBC knew he could get a Wofford win with a beat up Shaw and Not Show Clemson Anything.(I Don't think HBC knew How Beat up Connor was during the bulk of the Wofford game) I said last week I thought if we lost to Clemson it would be because DT didn't play the majority of the Wofford Game (to get Meaningful Playing time). It makes sense now, he knew DT would be fine against Clemson and got him ready in practice, Running the HBC's full Option Offense, with throws that a Healthy Shaw Can't Make. Simply Play the Tapes, DVR's whatever you've got ... if you know Football you know a Pro Style QB when you see one. Watch Connor from last year (UNHURT).. and watch DT...look at their Footwork, Check Downs , decision Speed of Release,and Ball Flight Speed to Target. CS gives it everything he has all the time... he won't get any Pro consideration...DT on the other hand may have a Good Shot. That's All I'm saying. Both are Great Players and Young Men. HBC Calls the Shots and I'm Glad He Does. GOOO COCKS!!!!
ted hamlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #112
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spurs

Can we just fire HBC and hire some of our forum members?

Clearly Spurrier has lost it. I mean, he refuses to put in a no nonsense, gunslinging, heisman caliber qb w a scud missile for an arm. Instead he puts in some slack, broke footed, puny, water pistol arm having, loser.

On top of all that, he didn't coerce Mitch to graduate a year early so he could have already enrolled and taken the starting job (trust me, forum members have already scripted his inevitable conquer and reign as our qb).

Are we to continue to buy this old man's bs about playing the best??
I think we can do better, cockytalk told me so!
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #113
5lbYardcock
Blue Chip

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

It was a weak acc team we played last night. Connor is the best option and is the starter. The only reason DT started last night was due to CS's foot. Other than that, CS would have blown clemscum out the water.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #114
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
I think Connar went through a sophomore slump this year. Yes, I know he isn't a sophomore but he might as well be. This is his second year behind the center. I thinl coming into next year we will see Spurrier more tough on him and won't see him hesitate to yank him and win a championship doing it.

It wasn't a sophomore slump so much as being hurt worse than most realized. I don't think he was being straight with the coaching staff about how much he was hurt. In fact, spurrier said something like that about the Wofford game.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #115
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted hamlin View Post
Never said Connor couldn't score 27 against Clemson. I believe HBC knew he could get a Wofford win with a beat up Shaw and Not Show Clemson Anything.(I Don't think HBC knew How Beat up Connor was during the bulk of the Wofford game) I said last week I thought if we lost to Clemson it would be because DT didn't play the majority of the Wofford Game (to get Meaningful Playing time). It makes sense now, he knew DT would be fine against Clemson and got him ready in practice, Running the HBC's full Option Offense, with throws that a Healthy Shaw Can't Make. Simply Play the Tapes, DVR's whatever you've got ... if you know Football you know a Pro Style QB when you see one. Watch Connor from last year (UNHURT).. and watch DT...look at their Footwork, Check Downs , decision Speed of Release,and Ball Flight Speed to Target. CS gives it everything he has all the time... he won't get any Pro consideration...DT on the other hand may have a Good Shot. That's All I'm saying. Both are Great Players and Young Men. HBC Calls the Shots and I'm Glad He Does. GOOO COCKS!!!!
I was replying more to the post that you quoted where you said you "agreed". I was assuming that you also meant that you agreed with the poster that a healthy Connor would not have beaten Clemson "no ifs, ands, or buts."

Which, I am sorry, but that is just a stupid statement.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #116
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

first of all, CONNOR HAS BEEN PLAYING ON A FRACTURED SCAPULA AND FOOT FOR MOST OF THE YEAR!!!!!
second, even with those injuries he has completed 20 of 21 passes in one game, and threw the ball all over tenn and arkie in others. while injured!!!!
do you moron's get that???????????????????????????????????
connor is 15-3 as a starter and holds the highest throwing percentage by a usc qb in its history. why are so many on this thread disrespecting him??????

yes dylan played well against one of the worst defenses we have faced all season long, but for you idiotic kneejerk reacting assholes to try to belittle shaw because of it... well it shows just how pathetically ignorant you really are. have you forgotten what shaw did to these tigers last year??? it was a hell of a lot stronger performance than what thompson put up last night, and against a much deeper and better clemtech defense. clemscum had excellent db's last year, and were playing with freshmen backups at both corner positions in this game. yet, you idiots want to start saying that thompson is better than shaw. get your facts straight, because most of this thread is not only embarrassing, but it looks eerily similar to most of the clemscum threads i have read; full of ignorance!!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #117
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
first of all, CONNOR HAS BEEN PLAYING ON A FRACTURED SCAPULA AND FOOT FOR MOST OF THE YEAR!!!!!
second, even with those injuries he has completed 20 of 21 passes in one game, and threw the ball all over tenn and arkie in others. while injured!!!!
do you moron's get that???????????????????????????????????
connor is 15-3 as a starter and holds the highest throwing percentage by a usc qb in its history. why are so many on this thread disrespecting him??????

yes dylan played well against one of the worst defenses we have faced all season long, but for you idiotic kneejerk reacting assholes to try to belittle shaw because of it... well it shows just how pathetically ignorant you really are. have you forgotten what shaw did to these tigers last year??? it was a hell of a lot stronger performance than what thompson put up last night, and against a much deeper and better clemtech defense. clemscum had excellent db's last year, and were playing with freshmen backups at both corner positions in this game. yet, you idiots want to start saying that thompson is better than shaw. get your facts straight, because most of this thread is not only embarrassing, but it looks eerily similar to most of the clemscum threads i have read; full of ignorance!!!!
Nice! Nail meet head.

I jus can't believe that some of our posters feel that they have to criticize Connor instead of just saying positive things about Dylan. I just don't get that. Why can't they both be capable of beating the crap out of Clemson?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #118
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Gotta love these QB controversy threads!!!
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #119
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Absolutely we have a controversy, there is no arguing that.

Dylan Thompson is the one I would go with for 2 major reasons.

1. He stretches the field. You can't argue against the fact that he has a stronger arm.
2. Consistency. I believe he is more likely to complete more games and due to less injuries. I love Connor Shaw's toughness, but let's face it, he seems to be injury prone.

I'm ok with either one and trust the coaches, but that's my take from what I've seen.
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #120
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
Absolutely we have a controversy, there is no arguing that.

Dylan Thompson is the one I would go with for 2 major reasons.

1. He stretches the field. You can't argue against the fact that he has a stronger arm.
2. Consistency. I believe he is more likely to complete more games and due to less injuries. I love Connor Shaw's toughness, but let's face it, he seems to be injury prone.

I'm ok with either one and trust the coaches, but that's my take from what I've seen.
If both guys are healthy next year, I think SOS will use them both depending on the match up. We will need at least two qb's next year to win the East. Not to mention the SEC.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote