CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
smoovecock
GregoryHouse
markymark550
rosstheboss
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
robgusc76
CockTail
2014 Charleston Clas (3022)
The Defense (1916)
**USC Women vs. San (1895)
Spurrier on Pharoah: (1541)
Women's soccer Sweet (1534)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (1091)
USC/clemson spread (801)
In case no one saw.. (742)
injury report? (670)
Your favorite Greate (457)
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
**USC Women vs. San Diego
2014 Charleston Classic:
Question about after the
Tiger Burn
A little late to the conv
What Are Your Win/Loss Ex
Odell Becham Catch
For Discussing The Clemso
Beat Clemson

Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #121
tpep
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
tpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPit
Default Re: Who will be the next to join the SEC?

i think the next question to be answered is- what school in their right minds wants to take merrylands place in the world of the giant cupcakes? another piss and sissycuse? just askin...
tpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #122
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpep View Post
i think the next question to be answered is- what school in their right minds wants to take merrylands place in the world of the giant cupcakes? another piss and sissycuse? just askin...
It's uconn

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #123
Erik
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Erik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
It's uconn
I thought Notre Dame decided to go halfsies.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #124
Erik
Banned

Male

Erik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Erik lay off the booze son, Good God man the East would be gauntlet of epic proportions.
The way I see it, the West would even itself after a few years and be competitive. Anyone who survived the East would be just about be a shoe in for the NC game.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #125
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU_Tigers4Life View Post
When FSU and Clemson tans the hides of both UF and USC, you can say those words, but it will be meaningless
Yeah.... See what happened was
Old 11-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #126
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I thought Notre Dame decided to go halfsies.
Yea.

Only half, Uconn will be a full member

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #127
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 600
cocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPit

North Carolina and Virginia will be next into the SEC

ďOf course, itís a bit of a jump, isnít it? I mean, erÖ chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You donít think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking or insurance?"
cocknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #128
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocknblue View Post
North Carolina and Virginia will be next into the SEC
Just curious why you think this. I would be really surprised if UNC left the ACC considering they pretty much get their way thanks to Swofford, and they probably want to stay connected at the hip to Duke. As for UVA, I don't think they have any desire to try and get into murderer's row. The difference in competition would be an easier adjustment for VT in my opinion.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #129
cocknblue

Male

cocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
Just curious why you think this. I would be really surprised if UNC left the ACC considering they pretty much get their way thanks to Swofford, and they probably want to stay connected at the hip to Duke. As for UVA, I don't think they have any desire to try and get into murderer's row. The difference in competition would be an easier adjustment for VT in my opinion.
Several reasons...not just idle speculation but based on chatter already taking place in UNC circles.

First, all of this is contingent on Clemson and FSU leaving the ACC for the Big 12, which could happen very soon -- especially since the bowl payouts in the ACC are going to be so meager this year, a move to the Big 12 will be financially attractive to both schools.

Assuming those two leave, where does the ACC go for expansion? Where they have been going -- Big East leftovers. That would further "devalue" the conference and make it more tempting for schools to bolt.

Now, why the Tar Heels and Cavaliers? Both would view the move to the SEC as an upgrade (who wouldn't, right?) and they would both be able to "pre-empt" their Land Grant school rivals (NC State and Hokie High). From a basketball perspective, the Tar Heels would trade Duke for Kentucky, Florida and others twice a year. And football would be greatly upgraded -- and that's where the $$$$ is now.

Finally, this would fit with the SEC's pattern of having the flagship schools from every state.

At first, I thought the folks I was talking to were on crack. But the more they talked, the more sense it made.

ďOf course, itís a bit of a jump, isnít it? I mean, erÖ chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You donít think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking or insurance?"
Old 11-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #130
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Wont happen. UNC is about to get a major NCAA screwing. I don't think that the SEC wants to add that. One of the other NC schools would be more likely.
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #131
cocknblue

Male

They are the only team in North Carolina worth considering, IMHO

Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #132
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Wont happen. UNC is about to get a major NCAA screwing. I don't think that the SEC wants to add that. One of the other NC schools would be more likely.

Agree, NC State would be the logical choice as of right now plus I don't see NC wanting to leave tobacco road and there basketball conference. Either Virginia or Va Tech would be good for expansion as far as TV exposer.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #133
Erik
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocknblue View Post
Several reasons...not just idle speculation but based on chatter already taking place in UNC circles.
Uh, what UNC circles? I'm living in Chapel Hill and have friends in the athletic department, and I haven't heard anything.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #134
cocknblue

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Uh, what UNC circles? I'm living in Chapel Hill and have friends in the athletic department, and I haven't heard anything.
InsideCarolina board (not exactly "official", but circles nonetheless)

Old 11-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #135
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Even if UNC decided to come to the SEC, it would take 3 years. There is also a very good chance that UNC and Virginia go to the bBig 10 since they fit the academics more closely. However, with the addition of Missouri and A&M, both being AAU universities, that may give them a reason to the chose the SEC ....something that could never have happened a couple of years ago. I think it's more likely that VaTech comes to the SEC. But first, Fla St and the taters have to go to the Big 12.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #136
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
Agree, NC State would be the logical choice as of right now plus I don't see NC wanting to leave tobacco road and there basketball conference. Either Virginia or Va Tech would be good for expansion as far as TV exposer.
Once Fla St and the Taters leave, UNC, NCSt, Va and VaTech won't have any choice because they can't afford to get left behind.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #137
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

This is the thread where the good suggestion for the 4-division format was made.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #138
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
First off let me state, for the record that I am against a 16 team league. It's bad enough now, when you only see teams from the other division every four years or so. At 16, it would be like being in two separate leagues where you occasionally play someone from the other league.

I don't see where it helps you, frankly.

If, for arguments sake, the SEC HAD to take two teams, FSU and VT make the most sense.

FSU won't be asked for the same reason Clemson won't be: Florida will block them the same way we'd block Clemson.

VT won't join because UVA and the state legislature would have a fit. It would be VERY hard politically for VT to join.

That leaves NC State, I suppose, who in my opinion would give you NC, but wouldn't be a great fit culturally. The comparison to aTm is wrong. Texas A&M was a strong football school prior to joining the SEC, and their facilities, booster support, and school were all SEC-ready. NC State is not.

West Virginia? No, do not want.

Louisville? It's a weekend charter school. No.

How about this: No one.
Drop the cupcakes and play more league games.

10 league games a year.

1 week for OOC rival or similar.

The last week of the reg season should be the conference championship game. This would add more time for playoff games in the new playoff format.

There is no excuse for SEC teams to play Ga. Southern or Wofford type teams.

I'll go with OSU and VT.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #139
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Drop the cupcakes and play more league games.

10 league games a year.

1 week for OOC rival or similar.

The last week of the reg season should be the conference championship game. This would add more time for playoff games in the new playoff format.

There is no excuse for SEC teams to play Ga. Southern or Wofford type teams.

I'll go with OSU and VT.
10 Regular season SEC games plus a championship game are you drunk or insane? That is beyond brutal, there is nothing to gain other than more injuries. The SEC is already the toughest schedule in the land piling on makes absolutely no sense.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #140
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
10 Regular season SEC games plus a championship game are you drunk or insane? That is beyond brutal, there is nothing to gain other than more injuries. The SEC is already the toughest schedule in the land piling on makes absolutely no sense.

IF it's a 16 team league. We already play 8. They can handle two more. Hell, they play just as hard and risk injury in their OOC games. ECU, So. Miss, NCST CLEm...they can all get hurt in those games too.

It's just a scenario I was thinking of, I'm not part of the super conference committee.

Anyway, it would add more value to the games played. No more bullshit games, meaning more revenue during the regular season. Every game would be huge.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote