CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Bed Sores
mpilot0705
CockyLifer
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
spareparts
TheUniversityofSC
AtlGAMECOCK
Nick29321
Finbaum Jogs on USC (1551)
The Field (1460)
Spurrier winning at (1099)
I hope Coach Spurrie (1015)
One of the great thi (924)
Anyone watching pti (894)
Defensive Backfield (818)
GAME (784)
Death in the family (692)
SDS/Garcia: Entertai (652)
Anyone watching pti
GAME
Conflict with Aggies on t
Defensive Backfield
One of the great things a
I hope Coach Spurrier get
Spurrier winning at footb
The Field
Finbaum Jogs on USC campu
Sandstorm towels

Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #121
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Do we have a QB controversy going into 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
(snip)
Are you sleeping with him or something?

I have never met you, but I have met Connor a couple of times and don't think he swings that way..."Not that there is anything wrong with that."

Don't understand why you take this so personally. Don't care really. With Dylan we can run more plays from our play book than with CS. No debating that. Thompson can and will throw the deep ball. CS only does it when Spurrier is telling him he has to. (EX LSU).

You make me laugh so please continue responding.
to come true." Bodhi.

Last edited by johnnyb; 11-25-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #122
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

I'm not concerned that Thompson "only" directed us to 27 points against Clemson. It was his first start against a BCS opponent, it was on the road, AND it was our biggest game of the year, since our other goals had evaporated weeks ago. Throw in the rivalry/streak elements and that's a lot to put on anybody. To come into a situation that pressure-packed and get the W without a whole lot of meaningful experience speaks volumes about Thompson.

That said, this post isn't intended to bash Connor Shaw, because I love what the guy has done for us. I just think people are downplaying Thompson's performance when it was a gritty, Shaw-esque effort. Is this not the first time we've had a competent backup in the Spurrier era? This is a good problem to have, really.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #123
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

I hope we have a situation where we have 2+ great QB's gunning for the starting spot. Competition drives performance.

Let them duke it out in the offseason and leading up to the bowl game, the best will rise to the occasion and we will be a better team b/c of it.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #124
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
Are you sleeping with him or something?

I have never met you, but I have met Connor a couple of times and don't think he swings that way..."Not that there is anything wrong with that."

Don't understand why you take this so personally. Don't care really. With Dylan we can run more plays from our play book than with CS. No debating that. Thompson can and will throw the deep ball. CS only does it when Spurrier is telling him he has to. (EX LSU).

You make me laugh so please continue responding.
Didn't say anything about what Dylan could or could not do. Dylan has all kinds of attributes that make him a good QB.

But you are just plain stupid to say that Shaw couldn't have scored on Clemson's defense. Lets be very clear. You didn't say that you thought Dylan was the better QB. If that is your thought that is fine.

What you said was that a healthy Connor would have lost to Clemson last night "no ifs, ands, or buts" and that is just an idiotic statement.

So if I allow you to laugh for standing up for our players, then have a good laugh. Doesn't make your statement any less idiotic.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #125
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Connor is a better runner, but not so much that it makes a material difference against good teams, so his running is somewhat negated. Connor struggles to throw on time....he has had a bunch of open receivers this year but just won't/can't throw to them. Dylan is a far superior passer and he can run well enough to keep defenses honest. Having said this, SOS is very loyal to Connor because of what he has done for the team. But come spring practice, everybody will start even.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #126
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Didn't say anything about what Dylan could or could not do. Dylan has all kinds of attributes that make him a good QB.

But you are just plain stupid to say that Shaw couldn't have scored on Clemson's defense. Lets be very clear. You didn't say that you thought Dylan was the better QB. If that is your thought that is fine.

What you said was that a healthy Connor would have lost to Clemson last night "no ifs, ands, or buts" and that is just an idiotic statement.

So if I allow you to laugh for standing up for our players, then have a good laugh. Doesn't make your statement any less idiotic.
That's funny because I didn't say that.

I said that we would have lost last night with CS. Had CS played, it would have been a very different ball game. DT's ability to attempt and make the long throws opened the game up for us and kept them off balance. With CS, there would have been no deep threat and they could have stacked the box on us...which is exactly what they were game planning to do.

I have defended CS on here many times, but you take one post and ass-u-me that I don't appreciate all that he has done for us in your previous post. Nothing could be farther from the truth. That indescretion aside, being so mature as to call me names and telling me to "go #### myself" speaks a lot more about you than it will ever say about me.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #127
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Hello Kettle...

We lose this game last night with a healthy Connor Shaw. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Thompson sees the entire field and is willing to throw the ball. Two things that CS doesn't do.

QB ratings don't take into account how many wide open receivers you don't see. Anyone can have a high QB rating if they only throw to their first option when no one is within 10 yards of him.

Just compare Spurrier's demeanor when each is playing. When Shaw is playing he is up tight, throwing his headset, clip board, and whatever else he can find. When Thompson is playing, he is smiling, scheming, and looks like he is having fun.

High completion percentages and QB ratings only matter if you are running the offense wide open. With CS, we are usually running about 50% of our offense.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #128
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Haha, I agree with what you said. I didn't think 27 would get it done. But these fans that are saying that Connor couldn't have scored 27 on Clemson's defense are just being stupid. I am not sure what they are trying to prove, but it is ridiculous.

Bottom line is that we have two QBs that could do well against Clemson's defense. Why does it have to be one or the other?

Anyone who thinks Connor couldn't have scored on Clemson last night is just plain stupid.
Hey genius....look what Connor did on the road this year. Plus every game and the way it's played is different. Using your backwards logic, since we beat Georgia by 4 TD's, why did we lose to LSU and Florida. Look I have tremendous respect for Connor and what he's done for us, but quite frankly our defense has brought us to where we are today.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #129
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

My only hope is that we don't forget that there's no "I" in team and start bashing one QB or the other. They both have great attributes. If this year taught us anything it's that we needed both!

Go Dylan! Go Connor!
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #130
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
You don't 'allow' me to laugh, you prompt me to do so. And not for 'standing up for our players' but by your behavior when someone has the audacity to disagree with you.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #131
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatBamaTwice View Post
My only hope is that we don't forget that there's no "I" in team and start bashing one QB or the other. They both have great attributes. If this year taught us anything it's that we needed both!

Go Dylan! Go Connor!
No, but there is a me...sorry, couldn't resist. No flame intended.

I appreciate both of them. I am glad that we have each of them. And I stand by my statements in this thread.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #132
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
You don't 'allow' me to laugh, you prompt me to do so. And not for 'standing up for our players' but by your behavior when someone has the audacity to disagree with you.
I am saying that it is stupid to say that we would have lost to Clemson last night "no ifs, and, or buts" if a healthy Connor had started. I am saying that is a very stupid statement because you have no idea if that is true or not. Connor went into the Swamp last year and beat Florida. We lost but Connor played LSU in Death Valley this year toe to toe so I certainly think he could have handled Clemson's defense.

Connor has the third highest passer rating in the SEC. No, I am not arguing about what passer rating means and what it doesn't mean. I am also not arguing about who is better between Dylan and Connor. To be honest, I haven't made up my mind and I am open to both of them starting.

But Connor is MOST CERTAINLY capable of beating a piss poor defense like Clemson and saying that he is not is just plain stupid.

Let me ask you an honest question. Connor is a SEC starting QB that has won SEC player of the week on a few occasions. He has led SC to a record of something like 14-3 as a starter.

But you think that a healthy Connor had 0% chance of going into Clemson against the 70th rated defense in the country and coming out with the win??

Sorry, but I hope you can understand why I think that is just stupid.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #133
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:

I appreciate both of them. I am glad that we have each of them. And I stand by my statements in this thread.
Please tell me how you know that a healthy Connor would have had 0% chance of winning the game last night? Please explain that. Please explain how a Connor that did just fine against Clemson last year when they had a better defense would have 0% chance of beating them this year. Please explain how a guy that went into the Swamp and beat Florida with their defense couldn't have gotten in the endzone against Clemson. Please explain how Connor could score 21 points in a night game at LSU and you don't think he could somehow put the ball in the endzone against Clemson. Please explain how a banged up Connor that put up 38 against UT and Arkansas just a few weeks earlier would somehow all of sudden forget how to move the team against a defense that is just as bad as those two. Remember, the Connor that was the SEC player of the week against UT.

Look, I am not pro-Connor over Dylan. I know Spurrier will play whoever gives us the best chance to win. But we both know that if Connor had been healthy, he would have started last night and I damn sure know he could have beaten Clemson.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #134
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
. Connor went into the Swamp last year and beat Florida.
HE DID???

That's funny because I remember beating them at home last year and seeing him turn the ball over on the first play from scrimmage down there THIS year. And we lost.

Look...I am not out to bash a guy that plays for us. Didn't mean the original post to be a bash, just an observation based on common sense. But basing how he would have done last night on a game that you don't remember well from last season is just ludicrous. On the road at LSU he had Spurrier asking, "...if Connor had been hit in the head or something" and on the road this season against Florida he gave them the ball on the first play of the game from a stunt that every one saw coming and then did little else.

Connor saved our tails last season when Garcia fell apart. He has played injured. He has run to save drives. He has made some great passes. Most of all he has led us well by example and position. But, it would have been a drastically different game with him at the helm last night.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #135
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Please tell me how you know that a healthy Connor would have had 0% chance of winning the game last night? Please explain that. Please explain how a Connor that did just fine against Clemson last year when they had a better defense would have 0% chance of beating them this year. Please explain how a guy that went into the Swamp and beat Florida with their defense couldn't have gotten in the endzone against Clemson. Please explain how Connor could score 21 points in a night game at LSU and you don't think he could somehow put the ball in the endzone against Clemson. Please explain how a banged up Connor that put up 38 against UT and Arkansas just a few weeks earlier would somehow all of sudden forget how to move the team against a defense that is just as bad as those two. Remember, the Connor that was the SEC player of the week against UT.

Look, I am not pro-Connor over Dylan. I know Spurrier will play whoever gives us the best chance to win. But we both know that if Connor had been healthy, he would have started last night and I damn sure know he could have beaten Clemson.
Please tell me when he has beaten Florida at the Swamp.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #136
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

I respect and love Shaw for what he has done this year, but lets face it Shaw has not been doing that great of late. DT is the Spurrier type QB not Shaw there is no debate of that. To those who talked about Shaw's 20 of 21 look at those passes they were screens and short dump pass nothing real deep down the field. Yes its great he did that I don't expect Shaw to do what DT can down the field, last year Shaw had Alshon to throw jump passes to and were completed on Alshon's vertical. See the Citrus Bowl Hail Mary.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #137
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
HE DID???

But, it would have been a drastically different game with him at the helm last night.
Sorry, but that is an assumption you just can't make. Connor has done just fine as a starter and hasn't been named SEC player of the week on a couple of occasions, etc because he sucks.

Clemsons defense does suck so to say that a SEC capable QB (no matter which one) would go into Clemson and have 0% chance of winning is just stupid.

Let me be clear, if you are saying that Connor would have had absolutely 0% of beating Clemson last night, which is what you said, then that doesn't say much about our head coach. Because we all know very clearly that the ONLY reason that Dylan played was because Connor was hurt.

So you are saying that our head coach is SUCH A POOR JUDGE OF A QB'S ABILITIES that he would start a QB that gave us absolutely 0% chance of winning against a team that has a horrible defense??

So Spurrier is that bad as a coach that he would have a put a QB in the game that gave us 0% of winning if that QB had been healthy???

Wow, guess we need a new coach if we are simply going to have to rely on injuries for him to make the right decision.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #138
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Please tell me when he has beaten Florida at the Swamp.
I was wrong. still doesn't change the fact that you are saying that Spurrier is unqualified to determine who should play if you think that putting Connor in last night, IF HEALTHY, would have given us 0% chance to win the game.

Connor has proven himself plenty of times. Certainly enough to have beaten Clemson.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #139
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Sorry, but that is an assumption you just can't make. Connor has done just fine as a starter and hasn't been named SEC player of the week on a couple of occasions, etc because he sucks.

Clemsons defense does suck so to say that a SEC capable QB (no matter which one) would go into Clemson and have 0% chance of winning is just stupid.

Let me be clear, if you are saying that Connor would have had absolutely 0% of beating Clemson last night, which is what you said, then that doesn't say much about our head coach. Because we all know very clearly that the ONLY reason that Dylan played was because Connor was hurt.

So you are saying that our head coach is SUCH A POOR JUDGE OF A QB'S ABILITIES that he would start a QB that gave us absolutely 0% chance of winning against a team that has a horrible defense??

So Spurrier is that bad as a coach that he would have a put a QB in the game that gave us 0% of winning if that QB had been healthy???

Wow, guess we need a new coach if we are simply going to have to rely on injuries for him to make the right decision.
"Sorry, but that is an assumption you just can't make."

You have been basing your statements on some mythical game that didn't happen from last season. I look at his performances on the road at LSU and Florida this season.

"Connor has done just fine as a starter and hasn't been named SEC player of the week on a couple of occasions, etc because he sucks."

Never said he hadn't. Never said he did.

"So you are saying that our head coach is SUCH A POOR JUDGE OF A QB'S ABILITIES that he would start a QB that gave us absolutely 0% chance of winning against a team that has a horrible defense??"

Never said anything about Spurrier or his abilities. And for the record, he DIDN"T start CS.

Quote:
I was wrong. still doesn't change the fact that you are saying that Spurrier is unqualified to determine who should play if you think that putting Connor in last night, IF HEALTHY, would have given us 0% chance to win the game.

Connor has proven himself plenty of times. Certainly enough to have beaten Clemson.
"still doesn't change the fact that you are saying that Spurrier is unqualified to determine who should play"

Still haven't said this. Quit making up things that I have supposedly said because you can't validate your arguments any other way.

"Connor has proven himself plenty of times. Certainly enough to have beaten Clemson."

Yes...and no.

Look, the law of diminishing returns is kicking in on you fast. First, you cite some mythical game from last season to justify how things would have gone this year. Even Lou Holtz says that you have a different team each week. You are going back to last season to a game that didn't even happen the way you recall. Then you start making up things that I supposedly have said.

I have not said that CS sucks.

I have not said that I don't appreciate all that he has done, does, and will do for us.

I have not questioned Spurrier in any way.

Either get your head in this conversation with some legitimate facts and quit lying about what I am saying or get out of this conversation. I suppose, no, I know that you have no better defense of what you are saying than being fictional...but, every one else here can read what I have written and they also know that I haven't said these things. This tactic might work in preschool, but it won't work here.

You were wrong in your initial post. You have been wrong with each of your responses to me. And I don't see you being right about any thing in the near future.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #140
scgamecocks1984
5 Star QB

Male

CockyCash: 500
scgamecocks1984 has hatched from the shell

No, not this year.Connor is a better overall QB, but Dylan is a better passer, especially on deep balls. But Connor brings a dual threat at running that even though Dylan can run as we saw he isnt as good at. Connor has the experience and thus gets the start in the bowl game. Next year, then yea maybe a QB controversy but its a good thing b/c both QB's will have to work harder to start!
scgamecocks1984 is offline   Reply With Quote