CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
b381l
Gamecockswag
cocksmith1or11
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
The Yancey
Travelin
conwaycock2
Freshman ND WR " (1144)
Good Riddance to bad (602)
The Comeback & T (528)
Bashing Players, coa (464)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (400)
Keeping tailgate foo (389)
ESPN Game Day Commen (294)
An A to Z of Noah We (277)
TeMarcus Blanton (250)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (247)
Simple "yes" or
TeMarcus Blanton
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Why I think we beat Aubur
Rest of the season predic
Battlefield 4
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Auburn game

Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #141
scgamecocks1984
5 Star QB

Male

CockyCash: 500
scgamecocks1984 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Do we have a QB controversy going into 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurz View Post
I'm not concerned that Thompson "only" directed us to 27 points against Clemson. It was his first start against a BCS opponent, it was on the road, AND it was our biggest game of the year, since our other goals had evaporated weeks ago. Throw in the rivalry/streak elements and that's a lot to put on anybody. To come into a situation that pressure-packed and get the W without a whole lot of meaningful experience speaks volumes about Thompson.

That said, this post isn't intended to bash Connor Shaw, because I love what the guy has done for us. I just think people are downplaying Thompson's performance when it was a gritty, Shaw-esque effort. Is this not the first time we've had a competent backup in the Spurrier era? This is a good problem to have, really.

Well said, but no that as much as Shaw has done for the team he gets the start no matter what in the bowl game.....its only fair to him, then next year if DT proves to be better he becomes starter in '13
scgamecocks1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #142
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilchCock View Post
I get your point C2, but I really hope we don't commit to the spread option. Clemson knew exactly how to defend the zone read last night, and our running game had no alternative. Thank goodness Dylan can sling the ball.

We watched different games Saturday night.

Clemson was fooled half the time when Dylan and Miles ran zone read.

You may be making the point that Clemson was totally fooled someway into thinking that Dylan would not run under any circumstances. It certainly looked that way.

Clemson's game plan was to bring pressure early and often in order to rattle the inexperienced Dylan. Although they got to him a few times and flushed him out of the pocket, they didn't account for him taking off and he subsequently killed them when he did. They didn't spy him or stop blitzing him so whenever he got past the line of scrimmage, he had about 5-10 yards before a defender got to him (20 yards on one run).

Thompson can more with his feet, he is just not half the runner Shaw or Garcia are/were. He is mobile enough to be dangerous a couple of times per game whereas Connor is a homerun threat with his feet (when healthy).

Dylan Thompson can throw all day and all over the field. If you were at some of the games this year you would regularly see receivers breaking open on their routes. However, a lot of those times, Connor would have already have taken off down the field.

Can Connor make those throws all over the field? Maybe. I cannot really judge him by this season because he was injured (back and foot).

I would argue that a 100% healthy Connor Shaw is a better option at quarterback than Dylan Thompson IF Connor Shaw maintains pocket presence and let his receivers get into their routes.

I don't see how the oline can pass block for one quarterback but cannot block for another even if one is running the fun'n'gun and the other is running the zone read. I am more inclined to believe that the quarterback has to stand in the pocket and not move into the sack or rush the throw before the play even begins to develop.

I totally blame Connor's underthrows this year on his injuries so again I say that a 100% healthy Shaw could be a better option at quarterback than a pocket passer with a little bit of mobility.

But was that the case this year? Nope. Dylan may have been a better choice over an injured Shaw especially running an offense SOS is more well-versed in. It probably would have made a difference in the LSU and Florida games even, but we will never know.

What we do know is that we are 10-2 and the next time the gamecocks play, Shaw will possibly be much healthier and have weeks of practice time. So will Dylan.

I wonder if SOS plans to play both QBs in the bowl game? I doubt it. I firmly believe that Shaw will be the starter for the bowl game. That is fine with me. SOS will tell everyone though that both will play so that our opposition will practice and gameplan for both. I am basing this statement off of what I have seen previously.

I also believe that Shaw will be the starting QB going into the spring. That is fine with me. Shaw is a tough kid that gives his all in practice and in games. His commitment to SOS's playbook and discipline has earned him SOS' loyalty to that point.

Everything that happens through and after spring though will be up to Shaw, Thompson, Nosovitch and Mitch.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #143
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

Too answer the OP's question. The answer is yes, we do have a QB controversy headed into next season.

I do believe Connor Shaw will get the starting nod but Spurrier will be very quick to pull him, if he doesn't learn to get rid of the ball and see the field in games. IF Shaw can do those two things though on a consistent basis however, it will not be a controversy for long.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #144
JQ94
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
To me, no...Dylan's two wins came against similiar opponents in UAB and Clemson.

Now, if he beat Florida, or Georgia, or Tennessee then we would have a controversy.

It will be an interesting winter and spring with Connor, Dylan, Nosovitch and Mitch.
I feel very good in the depth and talent at QB now though, and Dylan is a solid option.
To be fair, Shaw has only looked great one game...vs Mizzou and we all know they made Vandy look phenomenal.

If you give Dylan the experience Shaw has, it's an absolute NO brainer that DT is the better option. I dont give a rats ass in a fiery hell about qb mobility & speed. DT is very mobile and will run if the field is gone, we saw that many times last night.

Shaw is the better runner, but DT is the better QB
Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #145
USCooper
Banned

Male

USCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot material

I think a HEALTHY Connor would have led us victory last night but I do agree that we would have been in trouble with cs because he is hurt.
USCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #146
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

FTR, although I do believe we have a QB controversy and I stated Thompson is my pick.... I fully believe Connor would have beaten Clemson. Neither players are dominant, they are simply different in style. To say that Connor deserves to play because of the sacrifices he has made on the field is unfair to someone that hasn't had as many opportunities to prove himself on the field. Nobody is entitled to position, they should have to earn it every week. I'm sure Connor does, but I'm sure Dylan does too. Good problem to have.
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #147
GetemGamecocks
4-Star

Male

GetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervous

A 100% healthy Shaw would have beaten Clemson last night, no doubt...but he was not 100% healthy. His style of play allows opposing defenses to have chances to get big shots in on him. Connor Shaw is nothing less than a warrior and one of the best QBs ever to wear the garnet and black.

BUT, with that being said, you could just see a spark in Spurrier's eye after he saw Thompson hit a few of those crucial passes. It might have been the last TD pass to Bruce, after which Spurrier put his passing arm up and gestured a couple of passes, as if to say "that's the way to throw the damn ball."

Spurrier is not going to give up on Connor because he knows what the guy can do. He has seen it first hand and is a believer. It is a luxury, however, that Spurrier will be confident in Dylan...it will push Shaw that much harder and provide us a different kind of QB for different kinds of defenses...and Thompson can step in if Shaw happens to get hurt, which is likely to happen again.
GetemGamecocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #148
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

i want to see a 100% Shaw again...hes been hurt all year and i think he is a better passer than he has been this year but if he struggles next year i have no prb with putting Thompson in there

i also have to admit.....i was not a believer in Thompson after ECU and UAB....b/c of who those two teams are.....but he made me a believer last night
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #149
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

What I don't understand if why Shaw refuses to throw it? It's like he is determined to play his style. Personally I wouldn't be upset at all if he never starts a game for us again. I feel like he has held this team back most of the year. And I don't understand why. I mean DT showed everyone last night just how simple it is. Drop back and throw.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #150
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Right now Connor Shaw is the better all around QB, but Dylan Thompson looks to have the ability to become a really good quarterback. With more experience I think he could become a really good passer with some monster numbers. He missed some passes last night that he would probably complete with a little more experience.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #151
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

What was up with DT's throws to the sideline hitting the ground last night? I mean he can fire bullets over the middle but 1 hop passes like that.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #152
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
What was up with DT's throws to the sideline hitting the ground last night? I mean he can fire bullets over the middle but 1 hop passes like that.

Seemed to be by design so that the CB playing the receiver would have no shot at jumping the route and picking the ball. In those instances, it is best to either throw it to the shins or to the receivers' sideline shoulder.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #153
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
Seemed to be by design so that the CB playing the receiver would have no shot at jumping the route and picking the ball. In those instances, it is best to either throw it to the shins or to the receivers' sideline shoulder.
Yeah, that is one thing he struggled on throughout the game. He was missing badly on a lot of those passes.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #154
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
What I don't understand if why Shaw refuses to throw it? It's like he is determined to play his style. Personally I wouldn't be upset at all if he never starts a game for us again. I feel like he has held this team back most of the year. And I don't understand why. I mean DT showed everyone last night just how simple it is. Drop back and throw.
I think Shaw just hasn't been trusting the play calls and the receivers to do their part. I'm not sure why that is. I think his nagging injuries have led to him playing without a lot of confidence, which in turn has reduced him to sub-par play. He doesn't believe he can make those throws, so he doesn't try unless he's absolutely certain he can't screw it up (e.g., the receiver is wide open). The Connor Shaw from last year's Clemson game was an incredibly confident quarterback who knew he could take over the game and had a good time doing it. That kind of Shaw has been largely missing this season, for one reason or another.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #155
Jdallen20
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 744
Jdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone15 View Post
I believe Dylan has at least earned the start in the bowl game. He downright played with heart tonight.
Not only did he play with heart, but he played with SKILL. He throws a legitimate bullet. That ball is on a rope when he leaves his hands all the way into the receivers' hands. I have full confidence that we would have won at LSU with Dylan. Our Defense gave our Offense every chance they could to score points and win. Dylan PRODUCES POINTS.

South Endzone
Jdallen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #156
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky bizz View Post
how in the hell could you possible believe that connor is our best option for next year? seriously, you need to stop huffing his jock-strap! our receivers are much more motivated when dylan is behind center. you ever played football? i would much rather have a qb that can throw the ball and march down the field than a qb with happy feet that throws duck passes. get with the program buddy.
Well, based on his quick and decisive action to name Connor Shaw the starter for the bowl game, apparently Steve Spurrier is just as ignorant as you seem to think I am. Should he stop "huffing" Connor's "jock-strap" as well?

By the way, Steve Spurrier has not only "played football" and won a Heisman trophy as a quarterback, he's one of the great coaches and offensive minds of all time.

You, on the other hand, are a reactionary (expletive) who has zero respect for a quarterback who has given everything he has to this program for the past 3 years.

As I said in my perfectly reasonable post, I'll support whoever coach Spurrier chooses to start. Obviously, you disagree. If you bump into coach Spurrier before the bowl game, be sure to angrily tell him to "get with the program." I'm sure he'll appreciate the advice (since you apparently played high school football).
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #157
Jdallen20
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 744
Jdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spurs

Bottom line- Shaw (healthy or not) has proven multiple times that he is not capable of making the decisions that need to be made in order to put our team in position to win. Not to mention the rare ability to hit a receiver in stride... Yes, he has a phenomenal win/loss record as a starter, but be serious. Does he really look like the guy we need leading our team to a championship? I can't see it. I'M NOT BASHING HIM. I'm just saying that a QB like Dylan seems to be the better option in the offense we strive to run (Ex: last night). A pocket passer is what we have been wanting(NEEDING) for so long. DYLAN IS A POCKET PASSER.

South Endzone
Jdallen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #158
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
I was wrong. still doesn't change the fact that you are saying that Spurrier is unqualified to determine who should play if you think that putting Connor in last night, IF HEALTHY, would have given us 0% chance to win the game.

Connor has proven himself plenty of times. Certainly enough to have beaten Clemson.
Please give us Shaw's road games and how well he played during those games.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #159
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

let Shaw get 100% and we will have a look and see but right now he isn't 100%.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #160
scgamecocks1984
5 Star QB

Male

scgamecocks1984 has hatched from the shell

I am new to cockytalk. I have a fan page on face book called The Cock Pit, if anyone is interested and has a facebook find my fan page and like please. My personal page is facebook.com/scgamecocks1984(J.r. Chandler) if you send me a friend request on my personal page send a message with it telling me that your from cockytalk or I will delete it. Also, who can tell me how to create a new thread on here....Thanks and Spurs Up. Fourever to Thee!
scgamecocks1984 is offline   Reply With Quote