CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Gamecocks1137
Bed Sores
mpilot0705
Aggie96
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
spareparts
TheUniversityofSC
AtlGAMECOCK
Finbaum Jogs on USC (1587)
The Field (1503)
Spurrier winning at (1134)
I hope Coach Spurrie (1066)
One of the great thi (963)
Anyone watching pti (951)
Defensive Backfield (853)
GAME (823)
SDS/Garcia: Entertai (710)
Death in the family (702)
Conflict with Aggies on t
Finbaum Jogs on USC campu
Elliott Fry
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Anyone watching pti
SDS/Garcia: Entertaining
GAME
Defensive Backfield
One of the great things a
I hope Coach Spurrier get

Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
FLCock89
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2800
FLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudly
Default Non-AQ BCS Auto Bid (the return of Boise State?)

With the new BCS standings coming out tonight, an interesting scenario may arise after several teams in the lower half of the top 25 lost this weekend.

In some projections today, the highest ranked non-BCS schools will be:

18. Kent State
19. Boise State
21. Northern Illinois

One of the BCS rules, as some of you probably already know, states that if a non-BCS conference champion finishes in the top 16 and also finishes ranked higher than a BCS conference champion, they will receive an automatic bid to a BCS game.

With Big East leaders Rutgers and Louisville both being upset this week, both have fallen behind the three schools listed above and will likely stay that way. #16 and #17 will likely be Texas and UCLA. Texas plays Kansas State and UCLA plays Stanford in the Pac-12 Championship. Both will be underdogs in those respective matchups.

If they both were to lose, the winner of the MAC championship between Kent St and NIU, or possibly Boise State if they beat Nevada in their last game, would likely slide into the top 16 in the final BCS rankings. If that were the case, they would receive an automatic BCS bid and likely go to the Orange Bowl with the way the selecting order works out this year.

Just imagine: an Orange Bowl featuring Florida State versus Kent State or Boise State. Kind of crazy but it doesn't seem like a completely unlikely scenario at this point.
FLCock89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Non-AQ BCS Auto Bid (the return of Boise State?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCock89 View Post
With the new BCS standings coming out tonight, an interesting scenario may arise after several teams in the lower half of the top 25 lost this weekend.

18. Kent State
19. Boise State
21. Northern Illinois

One of the BCS rules, as some of you probably already know, states that if a non-BCS conference champion finishes in the top 16 and also finishes ranked higher than a BCS conference champion, they will receive an automatic bid to a BCS game.

With Big East leaders Rutgers and Louisville both being upset this week, both have fallen behind the three schools listed above and will likely stay that way. #16 and #17 will likely be Texas and UCLA. Texas plays Kansas State and UCLA plays Stanford in the Pac-12 Championship. Both will be underdogs in those respective matchups.

If they both were to lose, the winner of the MAC championship between Kent St and NIU, or possibly Boise State if they beat Nevada in their last game, would likely slide into the top 16 in the final BCS rankings. If that were the case, they would receive an automatic BCS bid and likely go to the Orange Bowl with the way the selecting order works out this year.

Just imagine: an Orange Bowl featuring Florida State versus Kent State or Boise State. Kind of crazy but it doesn't seem like a completely unlikely scenario at this point.
The only guaranteed conferences this year for BCS spots are SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12 and Big East (even though neither Rutgers nor Louisville is in the Top 20). Even if those teams you mention finish in the BCS top 14 (it may be 16 I can't remember), that doesn't mean they will be selected as an at-large team, it means they are eligible, but that will never happen.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

It could happen.

How happy would Lou be? ND and Kent State in the BCS

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
FLCock89
4-Star

Male

FLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
The only guaranteed conferences this year for BCS spots are SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12 and Big East (even though neither Rutgers nor Louisville is in the Top 20). Even if those teams you mention finish in the BCS top 14 (it may be 16 I can't remember), that doesn't mean they will be selected as an at-large team, it means they are eligible, but that will never happen.
If a non-BCS champion finishes in the top 16 AND ahead of at least one BCS champion (this year, Rutgers/Louisiville), they aren't just eligible for a BCS game, they are automatically in. The number of at-large spaces available would shrink from 4 to 3 in such a case. I didn't realize this was a possibility until Brad Edwards was describing it earlier.

Brad Edwards ‏@JBradEdwards
If UCLA (at Stanford) & Texas (at KSU) both lose, it will be really close for Boise or MAC champ to reach top 16 and BCS game

Non-AQ team wouldn't have to pass the 2nd Big 12 team to bump it from BCS. Just has to finish top 16 and ahead of Big East champ

Why? Because BCS rules say the highest-ranked non-AQ conference champ is in BCS if top 16 and ahead of an AQ champ

The non-AQ team would take 1 of the 4 BCS at-large spots. At-large teams would be ND, Florida, Oregon and non-AQ

I think it's ridiculous that a #16 Boise State could get into a BCS game instead of a top 10 Kansas State by that rule, but then again, I think most of the BCS system is crazy.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
No, one is an auto bid if they finish in the top 16 and above the Big East champ

#LukeForMod

Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
FLCock89
4-Star

Male

Well the projections were a little off (no real surprise).

17. Kent State
20. Boise State
21. Northern Illinois
24. Utah State
25. San Jose State

No Big East teams in the top 25. Boise is a little lower so I'm not sure if they can get to 16. But Kent State, a team that lost 47-14 to Kentucky, is only one spot away from automatically qualifying for a BCS game. What a joke
Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Well the projections were a little off (no real surprise).

17. Kent State
20. Boise State
21. Northern Illinois
24. Utah State
25. San Jose State

No Big East teams in the top 25. Boise is a little lower so I'm not sure if they can get to 16. But Kent State, a team that lost 47-14 to Kentucky, is only one spot away from automatically qualifying for a BCS game. What a joke
And UCLA is 16th...
We may see an orange bowl of FSU-Kent State

#LukeForMod

Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Kent State a team that lost by 33 to Kentucky in a BCS game, and some people want to expand this by having a playoff include the sun belt, mac, cusa etc etc
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:

18. Kent State
19. Boise State
21. Northern Illinois

Ater my post, I checked and you were right. Kent St can get in if they are ranked 16th.
What's really crazy, what happens if Ga Tech beats Fla St, then they are in the BCS too.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

Can Clemson still get in? That would suck.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Ater my post, I checked and you were right. Kent St can get in if they are ranked 16th.
What's really crazy, what happens if Ga Tech beats Fla St, then they are in the BCS too.
There's also an outside shot that Cuse can win the big east.
And if Wisconsin beats Nebraska.

There is potential that 3 teams with Recods of 8-5, 7-6 and 7-5 will be headed to BCS bowls

#LukeForMod

Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
Can Clemson still get in? That would suck.
If they finish in the top 14, yes.

But Kent State gaining an auto bid will kill their Chances

#LukeForMod

Old 11-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #13
FLCock89
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
If they finish in the top 14, yes.

But Kent State gaining an auto bid will kill their Chances

I can't imagine how the Orange Bowl people are feeling right about now. As if last year's laughing stock of a game wasn't enough, now they are facing this possibility.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:

I can't imagine how the Orange Bowl people are feeling right about now. As if last year's laughing stock of a game wasn't enough, now they are facing this possibility.
They still have the ACC tie in but I'd figure it would be FSU or Clemson every year.

Against ND, an SEC team or a Big Ten team.

Certainly an upgrade from the Big East winner or in this years possibility, Kent State.

#LukeForMod

Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #15
USCgamecocks
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1368
USCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
Kent State a team that lost by 33 to Kentucky in a BCS game, and some people want to expand this by having a playoff include the sun belt, mac, cusa etc etc
Based on the historical performances of the non-AQ BCS teams in those games they have more than earned their spot at the table.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
That loss in its own right should disqualify Kent State from getting in.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #17
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

Friday night 7PM ESPN2 #17 Kent vs #21 N IL with a win can Kent move from 17 to 16, thats the first hurdle.
uscgmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #18
FLCock89
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
Friday night 7PM ESPN2 #17 Kent vs #21 N IL with a win can Kent move from 17 to 16, thats the first hurdle.

Biggest game in MAC history?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #19
carolinafan111

Male

CockyCash: 912910367
carolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Biggest game in MAC history?
lets just hope that NIU pulls a Southern Miss (when SM beat Houston last year, costing the conference millions)

33 games attended in a row (26-7 in that stretch)
carolinafan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #20
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
Brad Edwards on ESPN said if UCLA and Texas lose, Kent St is almost assured of moving up.
UCLA plays Stanford....they just lost to them 2 days ago. Texas plays Kansas St and they will be underdogs in that game as well.