CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
KaneisAble
doubledribble
PageUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
Jmansour333
pitchcock
thumpin big
b381l
TheUSCMike
Busta out indefinite (1994)
SOS says his next st (1673)
Our Road Upset Wins (1532)
CBSSports SEC predic (810)
Our Defense? (663)
No easy road for our (653)
Roll call for Auburn (593)
University of Buffal (519)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (301)
Does South Carolina still
CFN prediction for auburn
2016 - Issac Nauta
Roll call for Auburn
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
Our Defense?
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
Busta out indefinitely.
SEC Football Legend: Shel

Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #21
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material
Default Re: Would Clemson leave the ACC for Big 12?

Clemson doesn't have to leave the ACC.

They just cannot afford to schedule OOC games as if they ARE an SEC team.

That is not a slam on the SEC OOC schedule at all. It makes sense for the SEC team to schedule the Florida Atlantics and East Carolinas when you play at least 3 of the top 10 BCS teams every year.

You can not count on that type of tough schedule inside the ACC. So schedule powerhouses outside of the ACC. Shit, if they do that, they are in a better position than SEC teams are simply because even if they lose to the powerhouse teams OOC, the losses wont count against them getting to their conference championship game (but will make them toughter because steel sharpens steel).

So Clemson will be playing Notre Dame and FSU in conference. They will play South Carolina and Georgia OOC next year. Get rid of the Citadel next year and try to pick up Stanford, Oregon, Louisville, Oklahoma, or West Virginia. Some team that Clemson can expect to be tough competition and also get them on TV in matchups ESPN loves and that voters would watch.

You don't have to leave the ACC to have a tougher schedule.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #22
1966gamecocks
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 70000
1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous

If it's up to Dumbo clumpson will stay put.That will be his best chance att keeping his job.
1966gamecocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #23
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Majority of them don't see going to the BIG 12 possible because of traveling and they're ruling out the SEC because of our pack we have with other schools.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #24
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
Doesn't Moo U have to pay $50 million to leave? Where are they going to get that kind of money? The boosters are still recouping their money from the Tammy Bowden swindle.
IPTAY
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #25
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

The ACC's TV deals are going to fall farther and farther behind the other 4 big conferences. When that happens, the schools that are left there will continue to receive smaller and smaller checks which will only hurt them more because with
the lack of funds, they won't be able to make the upgrades and spend the money on facilities, and this will make them less and less competitive. I assume you all saw where Maryland stands to add an additional 100 million from the Big 10 over the ACC by 2020. That is some serious money.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #26
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
The ACC's TV deals are going to fall farther and farther behind the other 4 big conferences. When that happens, the schools that are left there will continue to receive smaller and smaller checks which will only hurt them more because with
the lack of funds, they won't be able to make the upgrades and spend the money on facilities, and this will make them less and less competitive. I assume you all saw where Maryland stands to add an additional 100 million from the Big 10 over the ACC by 2020. That is some serious money.
I've read where people on here (and a few other fan boards) have remarked about the additional $100 M, but I'm still unclear of one thing. Is that number after the $50 M buyout of the ACC, or is that the total which would bring the actual profit down to $50 M? Either way, $50 M would be nothing to sneeze at.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #27
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

This doesn't necessarily reflect the desire or intention of the administration at Clemson, but anyone who can listen to the Clemson station in the upstate, notice how the tiger fans are saying they "need" to leave the ACC, because there is no benefit of being in that league. It's hard to disagree with them, really.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #28
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
I've read where people on here (and a few other fan boards) have remarked about the additional $100 M, but I'm still unclear of one thing. Is that number after the $50 M buyout of the ACC, or is that the total which would bring the actual profit down to $50 M? Either way, $50 M would be nothing to sneeze at.
If I was going to leave, I'd leave right now and hire a team of lawyers to work with Maryland's lawyers and drag out the final payment of that $50 million for 5 or so years which will give you enough time to either make enough money in payments from the Big 12 to cover it or make the ACC lose the will to waste money on lawyers and take a lot less than $50 million.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

rrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his comb

Why leave? They get to pretend for 11 weeks that they are relevant nationally.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #30
jch81
Blue Chip

Male

jch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Dabo said at the beginning of the year that joining the BIG 12 would be the worst thing Clemson could do because they are the ACC. Question now is, does Clemson bolt to the BIG 12 or does Clemson remain in the ACC to give an impression of being the powerhouse of a conference like Boise State?
I think Clemson would jump at the chance to join the SEC in a heartbeat. As far as the Big 12 goes, I think we would be more willing to jump if we could convince FSU, Miami, GT, and maybe VT to come with us to create a "south" division in the big 12. I have heard that Clemson and FSU are attached and both are going to try to move together if they do decide too. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
You don't have to leave the ACC to have a tougher schedule.
Other schools would have to agree to that and I doubt teams that are already relevant would risk a non-conference game against an alleged top 20 team. I'm actually shocked UGA agreed to it and without the history doubt they would.

The only thing that drives conference realignment is money. When/if a deal is presented that could make Clemson more money, I'm sure they will leave. The Big 12 makes since to open up another market etc.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #32
carolinasELITE
South Carolina Alum

Male

CockyCash: 25000200
carolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talons

Honestly they need to, I hate to keep ragging on the ACC, but its hard to recruit players to play for an ACC team when all they can look forward to is playing road games at wake, duke, maryland, and miami in front of 20,000 people instead of getting to play in big game situations against teams like lsu, bama, uga or in the big12's case texas, wvu, oklahoma etc.

Clemson's program would grow a lot if they changed conferences just like how being in the SEC has helped us develop over the years, but i dont think they ever will.
carolinasELITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #33
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinasELITE View Post
Honestly they need to, I hate to keep ragging on the ACC, but its hard to recruit players to play for an ACC team when all they can look forward to is playing road games at wake, duke, maryland, and miami in front of 20,000 people instead of getting to play in big game situations against teams like lsu, bama, uga or in the big12's case texas, wvu, oklahoma etc.

Clemson's program would grow a lot if they changed conferences just like how being in the SEC has helped us develop over the years, but i dont think they ever will.
It may get harder but Clemson does a good job. The problem with the talent is either 1. too much emphasis on skill position or 2. the seeming black hole that is Clemson with star recruits. Sammy notwithstanding, usually they will enter, not be heard from for a few years, then have a decent season before draft.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #34
carolinasELITE
South Carolina Alum

Male

CockyCash: 25000200
carolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
It may get harder but Clemson does a good job. The problem with the talent is either 1. too much emphasis on skill position or 2. the seeming black hole that is Clemson with star recruits. Sammy notwithstanding, usually they will enter, not be heard from for a few years, then have a decent season before draft.
I agree, because Clemson does a great job recruiting and they do have a ton of talent on their team. But like you said their does seem to be a "blackhole" in their program for some of their players...However i don't know if that has to do anything with their conference, but if they joined the Big12 i do think their program would grow a whole lot because of the level of competition they would be playing and the national exposure they would gain.

...And i think that their players would turn out better/grow as players throughout their careers because of the competition they would be up against.
carolinasELITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #35
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Sounds like Jimbo may be leaving with or without FSU.

Damn ACC, you ruin everything you touch.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #36
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Either Clemson has to leave or they have to get control of those hoopsters. You have to have a league that understands football is what matters and stops adding all these basketball schools. I know the markets is what they think matters to the short-term TV revenues, but the product on the field is what is going to matter in the long run. If they take Uconn over Lousiville or UCF or another school that could be a productive football member, I would be chewing my arm off to get out of there if I'm a tater.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #37
carolina2010
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 756
carolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
i could see.
1. fsu joining the big 12
2. nc state joining the sec
3. va tech joining the sec

if those moves indeed came to pass it would leave clemson miami and unc as top level fb teams. with that and their ooc schedule, they should always win 11.
Va Tech can't join the SEC without Va coming as well... I heard it's written as a state law to be in the same conference.
carolina2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #38
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

Lawyers make laws for lawyers. If Va Tech wants out of the acc, they will find a way to get the law changed. They found a way to get the law enacted when the first expansion of the acc took place, and was not going to include Va Tech. Money talks.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #39
SwimCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

SwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
I think Clemson would jump at the chance to join the SEC in a heartbeat. As far as the Big 12 goes, I think we would be more willing to jump if we could convince FSU, Miami, GT, and maybe VT to come with us to create a "south" division in the big 12. I have heard that Clemson and FSU are attached and both are going to try to move together if they do decide too. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.
My brother, nephew and neice are all FSU grads and boosters. My neice has a sisiter-in-law who works for FSU's president. FSU and Clemsux are NOT "attached," and there is no "love-lost" between your 2 programs. In fact, FSU does NOT respect nor care about Clemsux; they are only focused on their own program and are sick of the Tobacco Road "Management" of the EZZ which Clemsux has always and totally supported. Before you try your rebuttal, keep in mind that only FSU and Mary voted against the $50 million EZZ exit fee as Clemsux, as usual, fell in line with the bosses of the EZZ.

Clemsux has little to no clout and is not relevant nationally, except for the creation of phrases in the urban dictionary or as a punch line. FSU does not want nor need to be connected to that.
SwimCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #40
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Clemson fans have in their own minds what it takes to make them a
National Championship Contender, and they are always complaining to the
AD, BOT, University president to "Do That" ! (whatever sounds like a good
idea).

A year or so ago, they were positive they were going to be one of the
expansion teams asked to come to the SEC and were already talking about
pushing us back, and taking over as one of the "Elite Programs" in the
SEC. They didn't believe the hundreds of press articles printed about
Slive's desire to expand the SEC Footprint / market range and he was not
interested in going into a State that currently had a team as an SEC
member. All Clemson knew was that their "Rich" football heavy Tradition
and their 1981 Championship was what the SEC wanted in spite of what
Slive said. ........ When Mizzou and Texas A&M joined, they were faced
with the reality that they were as good as any team in the SEC but were
a product of a money driven conference Commissioner who had no idea
what Real Football is all about ?!?!?!

Shortly after that, Clemson and FSU name came up as possible B12
expansion teams, and Clemson was already making plans on a B12 schedule
This season along with possibilities for them to immediately contend for
a conf title. There were a couple of guys on their boards basically telling
them is was as sure as a Done Deal. ...... They were left out in the cold
again, and after the ACC meetings were the ADs all agreed to a 50 mil
buyout to leave the ACC, the Tigers were confident they could make a
run at the NC game from the ACC by simply winning every game and
making it to the number one ranking. ....... It was a huge slap in the face
a couple of weeks back when Maryland pretty much announced they
were gone in spite of the buyout, and they had a conference that wanted
them. .. YOU KNOW Clemson fans are pissed that a team Like Maryland
was desireable to another conference ahead of Clemson, and wanted them
to the point of even helping them with the buyout to get out of the ACC.

In all seriousness, I see that as being a huge deal. I think over the next
couple of years the ACC is going to pretty much either fall apart or
completely re Tool into a conference pretty much like the Big East or
will look something like the Mountain West or CUSA. I think Clemson, FSU,
VT and maybe even NC State will start looking at getting out if at all
possible, if there's an opening somewhere, and will follow the Maryland
lead. ..... When one of the original ACC Teams say "I'm outta here" That
carries a lot of weight and lets a lot of people know ... Thangs Ain't All
Hunky Dorey In Oz.