CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
roosterdude21
ccured
Cockypantherfan
The Yancey
ReadR00ster
i29gman
Lalli25
RGHoskins
sporkgod50
Thenardier
Stadium Ratings-Site (745)
Construction of Worl (377)
Peach Bowl name retu (362)
NBA Wants to Up Age (361)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (332)
Save Electricity By (327)
HELP calculating acr (276)
How Experienced In P (222)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (146)
40 Ways You Know You (144)
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Name a Gamecock
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
What is your perfect egg?
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #2

Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #161
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit
Default Re: Do we have a QB controversy going into 2013?

This is a silly argument. With Dylan driving this porsche we see a performance vehicle in action. With Conner, we just hope he doesn't wreck the thing. Team Dylan all the way.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #162
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
Lolololololol you have either got to be Shaw's mom or sister. Hell maybe his girlfriend. This is getting ridiculous.
Bahahaha...why is that? Because I actually use common logic & it backs up what I see? Experts came up with a factual system called QB rating...research it & look up who has the better & get back to me

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #163
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ94 View Post
To be fair, Shaw has only looked great one game...vs Mizzou and we all know they made Vandy look phenomenal.

If you give Dylan the experience Shaw has, it's an absolute NO brainer that DT is the better option. I dont give a rats ass in a fiery hell about qb mobility & speed. DT is very mobile and will run if the field is gone, we saw that many times last night.

Shaw is the better runner, but DT is the better QB
Just curious...but...wouldn't you think SOS would play "the better QB"

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #164
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
Just curious...but...wouldn't you think SOS would play "the better QB"
No because of shaws dad
Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #165
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Please give us Shaw's road games and how well he played during those games.
Connor is 50/83 4 TDs & 3 pics...116 yds a game on the road this year.
But lets be fair...
The 4 teams he played...were not only SEC teams...2 of the 4 are top 10 teams. But let's go even further...the biggest thing that I don't think anyone can argue...Connor has PROVEN to beat & do good against good D's...Dylan has not. FACT!
Lastly...here is a final deciding factor that can not be disputed...
The teams Connor has faced has given up an average of 24.65 pts a game...
The teams Dylan has faced has given up an average of 27.8 pts a game...
This clearly shows Connor has faced tougher defenses & his QB rating is higher..
FACT!

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #166
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHONGILMOREFAN! View Post
No because of shaws dad
WHAT?!!! I hope there is some sarcasm in there somewhere...Connors dad being a high school coach has nothing to do with SOS & staff playing the better QB

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #167
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Connor is 50/83 4 TDs & 3 pics...116 yds a game on the road this year.
But lets be fair...
The 4 teams he played...were not only SEC teams...2 of the 4 are top 10 teams. But let's go even further...the biggest thing that I don't think anyone can argue...Connor has PROVEN to beat & do good against good D's...Dylan has not. FACT!
Lastly...here is a final deciding factor that can not be disputed...
The teams Connor has faced has given up an average of 24.65 pts a game...
The teams Dylan has faced has given up an average of 27.8 pts a game...
This clearly shows Connor has faced tougher defenses & his QB rating is higher..
FACT!
"Eyeball test". It's like watching two entirely different teams on offense.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #168
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
"Eyeball test". It's like watching two entirely different teams on offense.
That's the thing with "eyeball tests"...two people can watch the same game & see 2 totally different things...eyeball tests are made for opinions....stats are facts...& the numbers don't lie

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #169
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

There will be no QB controversy at the start of next year because SOS doesn't care what the fans think in terms of who they want to start...nor should he.

SOS will likely give everyone an even chance and whoever practices best and moves the team the best, etc., will get the start. After that, it depends on production. If one struggles, another goes in.

All things equal, I would suppose he would go with Shaw because of experience, but if the other QB's are doing well, good for us. Long time since we had quality depth.

Since Shaw will be a Senior, if he struggles at QB and the others step up, I would expect to see him go to receiver to see the field. He is too good of an athlete to keep off the field.

As to his passing and holding the ball too long? I would think he got an earful directed at SG in past seasons about making ill advised passes and putting the ball in danger, so he is trying to be very careful in that regard. Early in the year we had some young receivers drop some passes, so I think he tried to take some off many of his passes to float them in, which is fine if your man is wide open, but not so good if you have less room for error.

Shaw has sufficient arm strength when fully healthy. Remember Alshon's last catch at W-B, the TD in the back of the endzone against Clempson? That was a frozen rope from 30 yards or so and he has hit a few others similar in his career.

Thompson's arm is stronger, no doubt, and I like that he trusts his eyes and throws it. I think Shaw knows he generally needs to limit mistakes and keep the ball safe, let our "D" keep the score down and take what we can on Offense to put the game away. Both seem to have the confidence of our team and both are leaders.

Anyway, not worried or concerned about 2013. SOS will decide whatever he decides based on what he and the other coaches see in practice and in the games. I'll live with that.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:29 AM   #170
GamecockGirl23
Bowl MVP

Female

CockyCash: 11271
GamecockGirl23 rules the CockPitGamecockGirl23 rules the CockPitGamecockGirl23 rules the CockPitGamecockGirl23 rules the CockPitGamecockGirl23 rules the CockPitGamecockGirl23 rules the CockPitGamecockGirl23 rules the CockPitGamecockGirl23 rules the CockPitGamecockGirl23 rules the CockPitGamecockGirl23 rules the CockPitGamecockGirl23 rules the CockPit

I personally prefer Dylan. I like Connor, but he still holds onto the ball too long and at times he looks as if he is too intimidated to make certain throws.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #171
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Quote:
WHAT?!!! I hope there is some sarcasm in there somewhere...Connors dad being a high school coach has nothing to do with SOS & staff playing the better QB
Yes it was a joke
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #172
cockysousa
Battle

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockysousa has developed his gaff and talonscockysousa has developed his gaff and talonscockysousa has developed his gaff and talonscockysousa has developed his gaff and talonscockysousa has developed his gaff and talonscockysousa has developed his gaff and talonscockysousa has developed his gaff and talonscockysousa has developed his gaff and talonscockysousa has developed his gaff and talonscockysousa has developed his gaff and talonscockysousa has developed his gaff and talons

I'd have to say that yes we have a QB controversy... well, maybe controversy isn't the right word. More like a question. To me, this looks a LOT different than our QB controversies in the past few years under Spurrier. Previously, it seemed like we had 2 guys playing kind of sloppy and it was sort of like: "Well, who will make the least mistakes today?" This time, it seems like: "Who matches up better?" Or "Who make the other guys play better?" Or "Who's got that X factor?" Or heck, I don't know. This just SEEMS DIFFERENT. Maybe it's my eternal optimism. Or maybe this time it really IS different.
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss
cockysousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #173
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
We watched different games Saturday night.

Clemson was fooled half the time when Dylan and Miles ran zone read.

You may be making the point that Clemson was totally fooled someway into thinking that Dylan would not run under any circumstances. It certainly looked that way.

Clemson's game plan was to bring pressure early and often in order to rattle the inexperienced Dylan. Although they got to him a few times and flushed him out of the pocket, they didn't account for him taking off and he subsequently killed them when he did. They didn't spy him or stop blitzing him so whenever he got past the line of scrimmage, he had about 5-10 yards before a defender got to him (20 yards on one run).

Thompson can more with his feet, he is just not half the runner Shaw or Garcia are/were. He is mobile enough to be dangerous a couple of times per game whereas Connor is a homerun threat with his feet (when healthy).

Dylan Thompson can throw all day and all over the field. If you were at some of the games this year you would regularly see receivers breaking open on their routes. However, a lot of those times, Connor would have already have taken off down the field.

Can Connor make those throws all over the field? Maybe. I cannot really judge him by this season because he was injured (back and foot).

I would argue that a 100% healthy Connor Shaw is a better option at quarterback than Dylan Thompson IF Connor Shaw maintains pocket presence and let his receivers get into their routes.

I don't see how the oline can pass block for one quarterback but cannot block for another even if one is running the fun'n'gun and the other is running the zone read. I am more inclined to believe that the quarterback has to stand in the pocket and not move into the sack or rush the throw before the play even begins to develop.

I totally blame Connor's underthrows this year on his injuries so again I say that a 100% healthy Shaw could be a better option at quarterback than a pocket passer with a little bit of mobility.

But was that the case this year? Nope. Dylan may have been a better choice over an injured Shaw especially running an offense SOS is more well-versed in. It probably would have made a difference in the LSU and Florida games even, but we will never know.

What we do know is that we are 10-2 and the next time the gamecocks play, Shaw will possibly be much healthier and have weeks of practice time. So will Dylan.

I wonder if SOS plans to play both QBs in the bowl game? I doubt it. I firmly believe that Shaw will be the starter for the bowl game. That is fine with me. SOS will tell everyone though that both will play so that our opposition will practice and gameplan for both. I am basing this statement off of what I have seen previously.

I also believe that Shaw will be the starting QB going into the spring. That is fine with me. Shaw is a tough kid that gives his all in practice and in games. His commitment to SOS's playbook and discipline has earned him SOS' loyalty to that point.

Everything that happens through and after spring though will be up to Shaw, Thompson, Nosovitch and Mitch.
best post in the entire thread. why can't most posters on this board make this much sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallen20 View Post
Bottom line- Shaw (healthy or not) has proven multiple times that he is not capable of making the decisions that need to be made in order to put our team in position to win. Not to mention the rare ability to hit a receiver in stride... Yes, he has a phenomenal win/loss record as a starter, but be serious. Does he really look like the guy we need leading our team to a championship? I can't see it. I'M NOT BASHING HIM. I'm just saying that a QB like Dylan seems to be the better option in the offense we strive to run (Ex: last night). A pocket passer is what we have been wanting(NEEDING) for so long. DYLAN IS A POCKET PASSER.
conversely, here is one of the worst posts in the entire thread, and that is a very, very strong comment considering some of the absolute moronic things that have been said in this thread.
first, how can you say in one sentence that connor can't make the decisions to put the team in position to win, and in another sentence admit he has a "phenomenal win/loss record as a starter"? sorry but those things are mutually exclusive. i'm going to say this one more time, shaw would have beaten clemscum hurt or not, as he has beaten better defenses while hurt this year. second, yes he has been hurt all year long, and still has managed to find ways to win. not only has he found ways to win, but he has a much, much, much better completion percentage than thompson does. hell thompson averages just at barely 50%, and some of you are making him out to be the second coming... i was proud of dylan's efforts against clempscum, and hope that he continues to develop. it can only help us to have as many great players at qb as we can get. but make no mistake, shaw is the better qb, with more experience and a better record. and i will say this for the last time as well, clemscum's defense is terrible!!! some of you just don't seem to get this. when dylan shine's against a top twenty defense, then come see me. until then, sos said it best, connor is our starting qb. and i think he knows a thing or two about qb's.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #174
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
DT has only started two games. And yet has looked better in those two games than Shaw has ever looked.
FYI, Dylan>Garcia...throws and runs better. Chew on that.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #175
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
FYI, Dylan>Garcia...throws and runs better. Chew on that.
Idk what this has to do with Garcia. But I agree. Dyaln is a pocket passer. And I think he can throw better than Garcia. He kinda reminds me of Mitchell. But with better pocket awearness.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #176
unspokenrespect
Recruit

Male

unspokenrespect is learning to peck

There shouldn't be with Spurrier you never know. Thompson has shown once again he is a better qb than Shaw. I can only imagine how the Florida and LSU game would have turned out if Thompson was starting; but my guess is we would have won both games. Shaw is scared to play qb in away games and Thompson isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercjason View Post
If I pay for a Porsche and I get a Mazda, yes I am ashamed. Thread fail-
unspokenrespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #177
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 4200
2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons

People are just amazing how they pile on one of our own. I always thought this was a Garcia thing, to dislike Connor because he was there while Garcia was letting the fan base down. But the more I read from many posters, there is just genuine dislike for Connor. I will never understand it. Guy just battles his heart out, wins accolades and just wins games but many can't stand him???? But back to the OP, is there a QB controversy in 2013? HBC always says every position must be won in the spring, so yes, it will be a hotly contested position. We are fortunate to have some really good players at the QB position. IMO, Connor wins the job and starts all year barring injury.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #178
unspokenrespect
Recruit

Male

unspokenrespect is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
There will be no QB controversy at the start of next year because SOS doesn't care what the fans think in terms of who they want to start...nor should he.

SOS will likely give everyone an even chance and whoever practices best and moves the team the best, etc., will get the start. After that, it depends on production. If one struggles, another goes in.

All things equal, I would suppose he would go with Shaw because of experience, but if the other QB's are doing well, good for us. Long time since we had quality depth.

Since Shaw will be a Senior, if he struggles at QB and the others step up, I would expect to see him go to receiver to see the field. He is too good of an athlete to keep off the field.

As to his passing and holding the ball too long? I would think he got an earful directed at SG in past seasons about making ill advised passes and putting the ball in danger, so he is trying to be very careful in that regard. Early in the year we had some young receivers drop some passes, so I think he tried to take some off many of his passes to float them in, which is fine if your man is wide open, but not so good if you have less room for error.

Shaw has sufficient arm strength when fully healthy. Remember Alshon's last catch at W-B, the TD in the back of the endzone against Clempson? That was a frozen rope from 30 yards or so and he has hit a few others similar in his career.

Thompson's arm is stronger, no doubt, and I like that he trusts his eyes and throws it. I think Shaw knows he generally needs to limit mistakes and keep the ball safe, let our "D" keep the score down and take what we can on Offense to put the game away. Both seem to have the confidence of our team and both are leaders.

Anyway, not worried or concerned about 2013. SOS will decide whatever he decides based on what he and the other coaches see in practice and in the games. I'll live with that.
Well, that is a lie seeing how Thompson performed in place of Shaw when he was injured earlier this year and was still benched for Shaw.

All year people on this forum said Shaw had experience and blah blah blah. When we needed him most against good competition he didn't show up. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Thompson is benched again. Spurrier decisions baffle me at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercjason View Post
If I pay for a Porsche and I get a Mazda, yes I am ashamed. Thread fail-
unspokenrespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #179
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Let's look at it this way.
Do we have two competent QBs?
Yes.
When was the last time you could say that.

Remember, Shaw had a broken shoulder, and that had to effect his throwing.

I'm going to trust Spurrier to put the best guy out there...if it is Shaw, it is Shaw.
If it is Thompson, it is Thompson.

Remember, every spring is wide open competition, and I think this spring will be no different (espeically with Nosovitch and Mitch coming in)...

May the best man play.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #180
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb

The real controversy will be with Nosovitch and Mitch next year. Hate to say it but DT will be the 3rd or 4th best QB on our roster. All in all a good problem to have
Ownage McGee is offline   Reply With Quote